Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seems like the game has peaked on XFire

Comments

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by Snikz

who cares about xfire numbers?

If the person playing is haveing fun with the game, then the person will play the game.  Xfire numbers cant be counted on, because its 1 out 100000 that uses xfire!

You know of course that when polling results for presidential elections they generate the numbers based on samplings of say 1000 people.  Yet they indicate polling accuracies in the +/- a few percent...  So a poll of 1000 people can fairly accurately assess the standings of 350M people.  or 1 in 350000

Seems to me that even 1 in 100000 can be indicative of the larger group and with even greater accuracy than polling.  :)

This is interesting to read http://www.financialwebring.org/gummy-stuff/polling.htm

Course xfire even through higher then a normal poll can have some skew in the results.  Since it is a self selecting group it might be that xfire users tend to all be a certain age group or perhaps all live in a certain part of the country so maybe a greater number of xfire users like to play wow then other games or some other oddball selection.  This might skew numbers between games but much less so for a specific game.

---
    Ethion

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Vegetto

Active guild member numbers at prime for me:

week 1: 80%

Week 2: 50%

Week 3: 10%

This is verified by the fact that their levels haven't budged, stopped at 15-25...all of them.

So i take that as a little snapshot.

If Xfire numbers are meaningless, these numbers are below meaningless.  Sounds like a bad guild to me. My guild is still growing, and very few people have gone inactive. Less than 5%.  

Some people go inactive because they re-rolled. Or they were just parking an alt in your guild because they never had serious intentions of joining in the first place.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by fony

yikes. same guys touting Xfire numbers the other day when their fav game was at 50% of WoW's users now say it don't matter.

HAHAHAHA LOL

Now thats funny.

• KhurgKhurg Member UncommonPosts: 45

This is verified by the fact that their levels haven't budged, stopped at 15-25...all of them.

The original guild I joined at launch has this problem. Not becuase they had peeps stop playing. they just had ALOT of peeps switch to a lower pop server to avoid the long que to get on the current one. the entire guikld plans on switching to a lower pop server as soon as char transfers are allowed

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

You do realize that players can roll alts on different servers right?

I myself have toons on 6 servers broken down by side (Republic and Empire), playstyle (PvE, PvP and RP) and time zones.

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Another low day yesterday, maybe again downtime/maintenance?

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Originally posted by Metentso

Yep, and a 6 hour maintenance nonetheless... could have desecrated an entire planet in 6 hours =P

Originally posted by tryklon

Yep, and a 6 hour maintenance nonetheless... could have desecrated an entire planet in 6 hours =P

I read about the maintenance but wasn't sure. Then it's like the 27th, with also 6h+ downtime , and had 53.000. Yesterday 59.000.

Originally posted by Robokapp

these numbers that mean nothing portray game status so well...with lows during maintainance and highs during weekends. how are they doing that? just luck? daaamn they're lucky again and again.

Exactly.

Althoug not all the highs are in week-end. But shows lows during maintenance, christmas eve, christmas, and new years eve, which seems logical.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

these numbers that mean nothing portray game status so well...with lows during maintainance and highs during weekends. how are they doing that? just luck? daaamn they're lucky again and again.

Exactly.

Althoug not all the highs are in week-end. But shows lows during maintenance, christmas eve, christmas, and new years eve, which seems logical.

And tomorrow should show quite a raise in numbers.

Wonder how it will look 2 weeks from here. I've read that people are moving to alt-chars in quite many cases, but incoming Illium changes should make them play their cap-chars too. At least for the dailies/weeklies.

Here's vgchart numbers. According to their extrapolated number, there's over 2mil units sold. There should definitely be a raise in XFire numbers, as there's quite many customers that have had their copy on 2012.

It's on a slight decline in XFire (56281) which is 2876 away from the lowest after launch (53405).

Could someone expain to me some graphs on SWTOR Arena.

There's something that seems a definite cut on lowest valleys. For example EU monthly seems to have it around 100k and US at 125k. Only times when the graph penetrates these thresholds seems to be when they have shut servers down.

Just a coincidence or error in retrieving data probably?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Pelaaja

It's on a slight decline in XFire (56281) which is 2876 away from the lowest after launch (53405).

There's something that seems a definite cut on lowest valleys. For example EU monthly seems to have it around 100k and US at 125k. Only times when the graph penetrates these thresholds seems to be when they have shut servers down.

Interesting that this SWTOR Arena is pretty much showing the same trend as XFire. Highest during last weeks of Decembre and declining a bit now. So much for XFire being useless for showing trends. But I am sure it is all a coincidence.. for sure.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Xfire is crap, honetly I do not know anyone that uses it.

Originally posted by Yamota

Interesting that this SWTOR Arena is pretty much showing the same trend as XFire. Highest during last weeks of Decembre and declining a bit now. So much for XFire being useless for showing trends. But I am sure it is all a coincidence.. for sure.

It's useful to show trends when you want it to show the trend that supports a position.

Originally posted by Forumtalker

I took the time and gathered some more witty answers to be used instead of that innovative one liner you have there.

There's more on this thread, but I think you should be able to get it going with these.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    Or maybe less people are using Xfire? I don't. I've always thought Xfire is the worst way of tracking MMO populations because not everyone uses it. It's irrelevant.

Originally posted by slickbizzle
    I have never used xFire. The more I think about it, nobody I know uses it.

Originally posted by onthestick
    And what makes you think people took that seriously? i am in gaming community which is 100 active members strong spread over 4 mmos and none of us ever used XFIRE.

Originally posted by DarthRahlik
    Xfire?
    Foo? What is Xfire? Never heard of it.

Originally posted by sgel
    Anyone notice how whatever piece of information there is.. haters will always see it as game isn't succesful and players of the game will see it as success?
    It's quite interesting :)
    (personally though, none of the gamers I know use xfire)

Originally posted by erictlewis
    Lol the op honestly hates the game, and in many threads has said so. So here we go again with the xfire numbers. Rofl.
    All I can say is I have an xfire account, and only used it like a month, nobody I know uses it because its a hunk of junk and it is a resource hog.
    Anybody who uses xfire numbers to prove a point is just grabbing at straws.
    I can say I experience ques almost every time I log in so somebody has to be playing the game.

Originally posted by hayes303
    I know its been said before, but neither I nor anyone I even know uses xfire anymore.

Originally posted by Scypheroth
    WHAT THE FOOK IS XFIRE? seriously....ummm im lost is it a thinggy that tracks thinggies?

Originally posted by Rohh
    It's something that nobody uses

Originally posted by kishe
    i personally have never met anyone who uses xfire.

Originally posted by LethalBurst
    What's Xfire?

Originally posted by alexmino
    I'm not sure what xfire is btw, i've been playing mmos since Ultima.

Originally posted by Zeal77
    What is Xfire?

Originally posted by Tyvolus
    what is this xfire thing people keep talking about ?

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn
    I hear a lot of references to it, but I have no idea what Xfire is. Can anyone explain it.

Originally posted by Sain34
    After seeing this thread I went and asking in my SWTOR guild who was using Xfire and of the 36 people online not a single one of them was using it. The idea that Xfire represents any releastic numbers is just wrong.

I took the time and gathered some more witty answers to be used instead of that innovative one liner you have there.

There's more on this thread, but I think you should be able to get it going with these.

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Or maybe less people are using Xfire? I don't. I've always thought Xfire is the worst way of tracking MMO populations because not everyone uses it. It's irrelevant.

Originally posted by slickbizzle

I have never used xFire. The more I think about it, nobody I know uses it.

Originally posted by onthestick

And what makes you think people took that seriously? i am in gaming community which is 100 active members strong spread over 4 mmos and none of us ever used XFIRE.

Originally posted by DarthRahlik

Xfire?

Foo? What is Xfire? Never heard of it.

Originally posted by sgel

Anyone notice how whatever piece of information there is.. haters will always see it as game isn't succesful and players of the game will see it as success?

It's quite interesting :)

(personally though, none of the gamers I know use xfire)

Originally posted by erictlewis

Lol the op honestly hates the game, and in many threads has said so. So here we go again with the xfire numbers. Rofl.

All I can say is I have an xfire account, and only used it like a month, nobody I know uses it because its a hunk of junk and it is a resource hog.

Anybody who uses xfire numbers to prove a point is just grabbing at straws.

I can say I experience ques almost every time I log in so somebody has to be playing the game.

Originally posted by hayes303

I know its been said before, but neither I nor anyone I even know uses xfire anymore.

Originally posted by Scypheroth

WHAT THE FOOK IS XFIRE? seriously....ummm im lost is it a thinggy that tracks thinggies?

Originally posted by Rohh

It's something that nobody uses

Originally posted by kishe

i personally have never met anyone who uses xfire.

Originally posted by LethalBurst

What's Xfire?

Originally posted by alexmino

I'm not sure what xfire is btw, i've been playing mmos since Ultima.

Originally posted by Zeal77

What is Xfire?

Originally posted by Tyvolus

what is this xfire thing people keep talking about ?

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I hear a lot of references to it, but I have no idea what Xfire is. Can anyone explain it.

Originally posted by Sain34

After seeing this thread I went and asking in my SWTOR guild who was using Xfire and of the 36 people online not a single one of them was using it. The idea that Xfire represents any releastic numbers is just wrong.

Common sense tells me that any third party software to track what gamers are playing whether it be TOR or Microsoft Chess online IS NOT an accurate reflection of time played.

It is not Steam.

and yet...its matching other predictions. conspiracy?

Predictions.............lol.

Common sense tells me that any third party software to track what gamers are playing whether it be TOR or Microsoft Chess online IS NOT an accurate reflection of time played.

It is not Steam.

No one ever said it reflects time played accurately. No one should ever insist it tells amounts or use it to compare games with each other (although latter might have some relation to real world).

It shows trends. And for some magical reason it seems to be going along with the swtorarena.com graphs.

This offtopic you're pulling here has been talked all over on these boards. If you don't wish to participate on the trend speculation, you have the choice of not opening this thread.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    I think Xfire, just like Raptr and Steam, has pros as well as cons as measuring means. I'd have to look it up, but on some other sites some people showed the limited benefit of using Xfire and Raptr by comparing actual sub numbers and sales figures on various moments with the numbers that XFire and Raptr showed, and how they didn't go hand in hand, the actual sales/subs figures drawing a different picture than Xfire/Raptr figures.

A simple check is for example just looking at TOR and WoW figures alone: if those figures were completely representative for actual player/sub numbers, then according to XFire 5 million people (half the number of WoW) would be playing TOR now, and according to Raptr 9 million.

However, I agree that at the same time they can't just be completely dismissed, they can show overall trends in rough lines I think. Xfire is somewhat better than Raptr even, I think, bc it shows player numbers next to played hours. As for TOR, it showed I think between 9000-10k between launch and end of the year, 11k last week and about 10.5k now (10.8 yesterday).

As for the swtorarena graphs, I think they're skewed somewhat. At first I wondered if they'd have bots on all 200+ servers that were constantly polling population nonstop, but now I think it's simpler, and that they're using the server status to compile the date for the charts, just like some people did for Rift. Problem is, that the definition of the various status types isn't a constant and has a different meaning for different time periods for different servers: the meaning of 'full' and 'heavy' has changed, from what it was in the first days and week(s) to what it became when the population cap was increased. Only when the status or cap doesn't change anymore and is equal for all servers will the charts be trustworthy. I guess we're almost at that point for most servers if not already, but people'd have to make checks to be sure.

It is not Steam.

No one ever said it reflects time played accurately. No one should ever insist it tells amounts or use it to compare games with each other (although latter might have some relation to real world).

It shows trends. And for some magical reason it seems to be going along with the swtorarena.com graphs.

This offtopic you're pulling here has been talked all over on these boards. If you don't wish to participate on the trend speculation, you have the choice of not opening this thread.

The trend is out of 1 million confirmed and 2 million units sold (rumored) of SWTOR, 10,555 players using Xfire are playing TOR.  Hardly an effective sample.

Just because my point collides with this failed Xfire theory does not make it anymore/anyless valid.

• DoozerglueDoozerglue Member UncommonPosts: 40

All of my kids off christmas break and back in school. Add in homework... chores....  (3 in college one in high school).

Four subs here.  Yeah we're all playing less but not because we don't like the game.  We all love it and are having fun playing it.  There's just a little less time now to play it.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Trends is what XFire is good for assuming that people play about the same number of hours a day - and at the moment the average is usually 5-6 hours which is pretty much what EA have said in there press releases.

TREND 1 : the ramp up during EGA is exactly what you would expect.

TREND 2 : Pretty flat around the 75,000 hour line between 20th - 31st December. Ups and downs due to weekends, Christmas Eves, server downtime etc.

- no big rise on Christmas Day. Remember all the chatter about how Santa Claus would be delivering the game to lots of people.

- people who really wanted the game either pre-ordered or bought it on the 20th December.

TREND 3 : Small blip, 5-8%, after the 'New Year's' weekend. You can see the current XFire high water mark and it is post launch. This could be due to people having more time to play over the New Year weekend but the simple answer is additional post-Christmas sales - people going shopping with Christmas money, BestBuy gift cards etc. etc. As mentioned above the average hours per person played has usually been in the 5-6 hour mark (as I type it is 10,853 people and 56822 so just over 5 again).

- Now if the 75,000 hour line relates to EA's 1M+ registrations they talked about in their press release just before Christmas then - maybe - the 5-8% blip equate to an extra c. 100k registrations. (I believe EA would have reported 1.5M is they had 1.5)

TREND 4 : no big, huge increase post launch. No 'word of mouth' monster sales rise. No upward trajectory.

- Going forward people will play less as the shiny wears of, so even a 'flat line' could indicate increased subscriptions, and a decline may mean nothing more than people playing less (average hours played per person is a key factor)

- To early to talk about a decline at the moment imo; maybe but ...

- the 19th January will be a key date.

Originally posted by gervaise1

Trends is what XFire is good for assuming that people play about the same number of hours a day - and at the moment the average is usually 5-6 hours which is pretty much what WA has said.

TREND 1 : the ramp up during EGA is exactly what you would expect.

TREND 2 : Pretty flat around the 75,000 hour line between 20th - 31st December. Ups and downs due to weekends, Christmas Eves, server downtime etc.

- no big rise on Christmas Day. Remember all the chatter about how Santa Claus would be delivering the game to lots of people.

- people who really wanted the game either pre-ordered or bought it on the 20th December.

TREND 3 : Small blip, 5-8%, after the 'New Year's' weekend. You can see the current XFire high water mark and it is post launch. This could be due to people having more time to play over the New Year weekend but the simple answer is additional post-Christmas sales - people going shopping with Christmas money, BestBuy gift cards etc. etc. As mentioned above the average hours per person played has usually been in the 5-6 hour mark (as I type it is 10,853 people and 56822 so just over 5 again).

- Now if the 75,000 hour line relates to EA's 1M+ registrations they talked about in their press release just before Christmas then - maybe - the 5-8% blip equate to an extra c. 100k registrations. (I believe EA would have reported 1.5M is they had 1.5)

Note: EA sells boxes to Amazon, BestBuy, GAME, etc. so registrat   

TREND 4 : no big, huge increase in play time post launch. No 'word of mouth' monster sales rise. No upward trajectory.

- Going forward people will probably play less as the shiny wears of, so even a 'flat line' could be the due to increased subscriptions (average hours per person played is a key factor)

- There sould be a downward trend as the average hours at the moment is largely unchanged; to early to say though.

I agree 1st billing cycle will be telling.

Trend #1

Out of 20,766,204 registered users of Xfire 10,555 players playing SWTOR represent .0508% of total Xfire registered players playing SWTOR.

Trend #2

.0508% of Xfire users playing SWTOR represent 55,000-101,000 of total SWTOR sales (1-2 million estimate)

Originally posted by gervaise1

the 23rd is the interesting one imo. because its the first non-weekend day after subscriptions kick in.

Good point.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Originally posted by Doozerglue

All of my kids off christmas break and back in school. Add in homework... chores....  (3 in college one in high school).

Four subs here.  Yeah we're all playing less but not because we don't like the game.  We all love it and are having fun playing it.  There's just a little less time now to play it.

^ this represents A LOT.

as it does in my house

This discussion has been closed.