Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honestly ! Who would actually pay 15 a month for this???

Comments

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Not me, to me the game is mostly a single player rpg just with some online play forced on you/tacked on. DA1 and even DA2 were far more intersting games in bascally everyway compared to swtor to me. If anything the game should have been buy to play like guild wars 2 is, SWToR as it is, is not worth any sort of a sub fee, and I am not the only one who thinks this obvously by the this thread here.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

I have not played it myself so i couldn't say yes or no, but i been watching live video of the game for a while now on Xfire and i can say it didn't look to impressive, of course the theme is awesome, come on its Star Wars and lightsabers, but graphicly and gameplay wise it is just the same as other games i've seen come out in the last couple years, even phasers are no longer a new thing with games like Argo and Aika coming out with gunner classes, guns not phasers but still a guntype class (probably others as well, just two examples).

• MalaksbaneMalaksbane Member Posts: 148

One of the best game 'missions' I've played is the Ocean House Hotel in VTM:Bloodlines. There's not a single fight, just a lot of events à la 'The Shining'. Gave me goosebumps all through the mission, more then any horror-movie I've seen. But I am certain anyone watching it would have been bored in 15 seconds.

Watching a gameplay-video is just not the same thing as playing the game yourself

• mackthajackamackthajacka Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Gaudrath

People would pay a lot more for a giant turd in a Darth Vader suit, and EA knows it. It's Star Wars, it doesn't have to be good.

• Tyvolus3Tyvolus3 Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

Originally posted by solarine

Second, and I don't think I need to say it, but SWTOR has a persistent world, so it's not a lobby game. You're exeggerating to make a point, but the exeggeration is pushing the argument into invalidity. Because we all know what a lobby game is: Hellgate London is a lobby game. Diablo is a lobby game. Global Agenda is a lobby game. If it has a persistent world, it's not a lobby game, plain and simple. SWTOR has a persistent world with world bosses and open world PVP in it.

What is your definition of a persistent world? As I see it, TOR is no different than those other games you listed. Every time you log in the world will look exactly the same, be exactly the same, no buildings will have collapsed while you were gone, npc's won't be dead or missing, the transporter that was there when you left will still be there when you return.

ya, so why the $15 fee again ?

• JusticeArtsJusticeArts Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by wesleyarts

Originally posted by JusticeArts

I don’t have a problem paying $15 a month. I like this game a lot; mainly because it’s BioWare and Star Wars. Even if this game was rated the worst game of all time, I would still like it because it’s BioWare and Star Wars.

Dude, this does not make sense at all. Are you a share holder of Bioware or Lucas Arts? Why would you play a horrible game only because it has a brand name on the box?  

I thought I was pretty clear, lol. I don’t think this game is horrible I like all of BioWare’s games, and I enjoy Star Wars stories. It has nothing to do with the brand names; it’s the quality of work that these companies have shown that I like. So I like this game because it’s BioWare & Star Wars, regardless of what anyone else thinks of it.       

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Siveria

Not me, to me the game is mostly a single player rpg just with some online play forced on you/tacked on. DA1 and even DA2 were far more intersting games in bascally everyway compared to swtor to me. If anything the game should have been buy to play like guild wars 2 is, SWToR as it is, is not worth any sort of a sub fee, and I am not the only one who thinks this obvously by the this thread here.

Such a misguided point of view.  Not the part about whether it is worth the sub, as that is open to interpretation based on one's opinion of the game, but the bullshit about it being a single player game with some online play tacked on is just idiotic.  

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Malaksbane
    One of the best game 'missions' I've played is the Ocean House Hotel in VTM:Bloodlines. There's not a single fight, just a lot of events

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Thinking about this further, if ea wasn't so greedy, this could be a great  b2p game. Making expansions their big money makers, I would actually buy this game despite it being pretty generic. The fact its p2p for a pretty much single player experience with some 'people' thrown in to be called an MMO just tarnishes any desire to pay 15 a month for it.

Originally posted by fundayz

I like this game a lot; mainly because it’s BioWare and Star Wars. Even if this game was rated the worst game of all time, I would still like it because it’s BioWare and Star Wars.

This basically says "Disregard my opinion as it doesn't reflect on the actual quality of the product"....

Exactly; further in my writing I was basically saying not to take my word for it because I like almost every game I play.

I like this game because I like all BioWare’s games and not everybody does. And when it comes to Star Wars I like everything about it (music, environments, sound effects, etc.), so in other words I like this game because it is BioWare & Star Wars.  

I’ve been playing this game every day since the 13th and have not grown tired of it yet. I have one level 50 character and working on my second. I really like how all my characters (on the same server) can add to the same legacy xp bar. First time for me to see this feature in a MMO, but I’ve mostly played free to play MMOs. As for the quality of the product that’s for people to decide for themselves. I know my opinion of the game doesn’t really matter, nor does anyone else’s, because everyone has different taste. What it comes down to does this game fall into your style of gameplay. For me it does because I have always played MMOs solo (never joining guilds) and this game can be played entirely solo if wanted. There are group things for those that want it but I personally choose to skip them because I like to play solo. A lot of people like just the opposite and want a lot of grouping. Like many I also compare it to MMOs I’ve played in the past. Everyone has their MMO of choice that they relate others too. Most use WOW as their basic fundamental MMO to compare to, but my first MMO was Rappelz, so this game is a great improvement compared to it.              

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Yes. It's a top quality MMO, I could spend that same amount on a vast majority of MMO's out right now and not feel like I'm getting good value for money. SWTOR really is a great game.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am atm...But to be honest, I have to wear a paperbag over my face, to hide my identity when I give any new mmos my money.....Times are tough....It is like picking which flavor of spoiled milk you want to drink.

I will get my money out of it, it is nothing special, maybe with the big sales, they can change that with the end game and extra different types of content, the 1-50 is what it is, and I doubt that changes.  It is still very early, to be fair...But I was expecting more, even knowing it is what they said it was...People said it 'opens up later', and I have not seen this yet at level 34...Which isn't the end, but more than 2/3 the way through....

I am eagerly awaiting the coming hybrids.

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

Just because people are willing to pay $15 a month doesn't change the fact that they're getting robbed. A sub is completely unjustified and no MMO currently out is worth the $15.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

i would have not agreed with the OP 5 days ago but after  playing the game since launch....i have to force myslef to play it....it has now become a chore...the game play and everythign about this game is what we ALL have seen from MMORPG games in the past 4-5 years....quests all seem liek the same thing over n over.... sadly i will be unsubbing when my 1 month free ends

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Originally posted by indojabijin

Just because people are willing to pay $15 a month doesn't change the fact that they're getting robbed. A sub is completely unjustified and no MMO currently out is worth the $15.

Well....$15 is like going to the movies in prime time, and getting a snack/drink.....So I mean, its not much money....I will agree that about everything out in its current state is not worth my money, and the foreshadowing on swtor is not good if I had to predict...

I do not agree with subs being unjustified, if someone makes a killer game that I love, I am more than willing to pay a sub, to help it generate content and such even faster, than say a B2P model may....F2P, don't trust em...Turns into P2W a lot of the time, and even if it doesn't start that way, much less protection from it happening than a healthy subscription game imo.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Lot of newer players around here confused over what MMO is. Doesn't matter if you play mostly solo, if there are hundreds, even thousands of other people doing their own thing in the same persistent world, then it's an MMO, plain and simple.

Once again: MMO is not about playing directly with others, it's about a persistent world shared by many. Even if you never, ever talk or play with an other player, you are still participating in the mmo in that your actions are going to have an effect on other players, one way or the other.

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

Originally posted by Xthos

Well....$15 is like going to the movies in prime time, and getting a snack/drink.....So I mean, its not much money....I will agree that about everything out in its current state is not worth my money, and the foreshadowing on swtor is not good if I had to predict...

I do not agree with subs being unjustified, if someone makes a killer game that I love, I am more than willing to pay a sub, to help it generate content and such even faster, than say a B2P model may....F2P, don't trust em...Turns into P2W a lot of the time, and even if it doesn't start that way, much less protection from it happening than a healthy subscription game imo.

Again, just because you're willing to pay doesn't change the fact that it's unjustified and not needed. The B2P model shows evidence that content is pushed out the same as something that is P2P.

The $15 a month you pay them does not go towards maintaining servers, support, or generating content. That's all pure profit. Box sales and the occassional micro transaction (like what GW or WoW have) are enough. Guild Wars, in fact, was NCSoft's main money maker for a few years. The money made from Guild Wars was enough to sustain ALL of the games NCSoft currently had out on the market.

It comes down to this: you pay $15 a month and get content patches every 4-6 months or you pay $40 every 4-6 months for a content download in the B2P model.

In the end the B2P model is better regardless. Even if content patches aren't pushed out very often you aren't paying monthly and can always continue playing when new content gets released. As opposed to the P2P model which can do the exact same (and has in the past) only you're still paying monthly.

• XiaraXiara Member Posts: 21

I don't remember being forced to purchase this game? I'll decide what's worth spending my $15 on each month. I am actually enjoying the game quite a bit in my free time. Funny I don't feel robbed.

F2P can be equally; if not more expensive than the standard $15 p2p games. Unless you somehow manage to completely avoid the store. Anyone halfway serious about playing a f2p game is spending money in it, otherwise you are missing out on alot. Just my opinion...may not be true for every single f2p out there.

~Xiara D'Aarmon

I think $15 is cheap, lol, especially since the first month is free. I pay over $30 a month for Gamefly, and $10 a month for Onlive, and I spend more time playing SWTOR than any other game. So I’m definitely getting my money’s worth from it, especially since I have not had to pay a monthly fee yet.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

I wonder why people care so much for other people´s money.

I tested SWTOR and it´s not the game for me (altho i loved the story) so i just moved on.

Do the same, it´s good both for yourself and for the rest of the community.

Rawr.

• XiaraXiara Member Posts: 21

I think $15 is cheap, lol, especially since the first month is free. I pay over $30 a month for Gamefly, and $10 a month for Onlive, and I spend more time playing SWTOR than any other game. So I’m definitely getting my money’s worth from it, especially since I have not had to pay a monthly fee yet.

Agreed; look at Netflix for $9 a month. Hell look at your cell phone bill.

~Xiara D'Aarmon

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Thought about it more, answer is still yes yes yes unequivocally yes.  Having a blast, sorry if the game isn't for you but as people have pointed out why do you care how other people spend their money?  Busy yourself with finding something you do enjoy :)

• munsil42munsil42 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Yup, will still pay to play this game. Was in beta, pre-ordered and I am still happy with it.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Again, just because you're willing to pay doesn't change the fact that it's unjustified and not needed.

Welcome to Economy 101.

The price isn't the same as production costs. It does not matter whether those 15 USD are "needed" or reflect maintenance, development, or any costs.

There is an offered price, you either accept it or not depending on how you value the product.

Simply put, for many the subscription fee is acceptable in perceived value of product.