Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess now we know EAlouse wasn't just raving mad

Comments

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Sector13

Originally posted by jpnz

Get it right you insentive clod! (Slashdot joke, ^_^)

It is 'my father's brother's cousin's former roommate!'

Well, it wouldn't be as funny cause what I posted was actually true. Except knowing about if they were lying or not. I just know a guy who dated someone who works at Mythic/Bioware and they know who EALouse was/is but that's as far as I cared to press the matter.

If we are serious for a bit, EALouse is accepted as an ex-EA/BW employee. If you read between the lines (esp what wasn't said) by EA/BW, they confirmed as much.

The issue is that this person's statements were 'factually' wrong and denied by EA's CEO to their investors. This is why no media is touching EALouse ever since that happened.

Like I said, if I say 20 things about COD:MW (next money grab) edition and one thing is proven to be false, the other 19 are now called into question.

That's just how people's perceptions are.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

EA bought Bioware for $700million.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was purely down to this game.

Originally posted by tixylix

EA bought Bioware for $700million.

Wouldn't be surprised if that was purely down to this game.

Bioware produced several games since being bought by EA.

Mass Effect 2 and a new IP in Dragon Age.

So, no, you will be surprized cause BW made money for EA by the bucket-loads via other games.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Hey guys, lets stop the personal attacks. Thanks!

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Get it right you insentive clod! (Slashdot joke, ^_^)

It is 'my father's brother's cousin's former roommate!'

Well, it wouldn't be as funny cause what I posted was actually true. Except knowing about if they were lying or not. I just know a guy who dated someone who works at Mythic/Bioware and they know who EALouse was/is but that's as far as I cared to press the matter.

If we are serious for a bit, EALouse is accepted as an ex-EA/BW employee. If you read between the lines (esp what wasn't said) by EA/BW, they confirmed as much.

The issue is that this person's statements were 'factually' wrong and denied by EA's CEO to their investors. This is why no media is touching EALouse ever since that happened.

Like I said, if I say 20 things about COD:MW (next money grab) edition and one thing is proven to be false, the other 19 are now called into question.

That's just how people's perceptions are.

Well, why on earth would a CEO admit to the claims that there is stuff wrong with their game and that it cost more then originally thought? That would be suicide for the game. A CEO has a more of a reason to lie to investors then someone who got fired from their job. Also, EALouse obviously wouldn't want much media attention cause then they will become unhireable to other companies if it is ever known who they are. I am more enclined to believe the person kicked to the curb then the rich fatcat who has more to lose.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Alobin

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Also, if you are watching from the side. Its obvious that the game is performing under expectations. Expectations that were high that is - being both huge investment , Bioware and Star Wars franchise game.

Lol, how can you honestly say that with a straight face. Quickest mmo to 1 million subscribers, BEFORE the christmas crowd comes, which should be HUGE given it released 5 days before christmas. No other western MMO besides WoW has reached 1 million subscribers. And Old Republic did in the first day at the end of it's grace period. Not to mention, record setting pre orders.

Just million accounts at first month is same as Aoc, War and Rift had. Yet those games soon became wastelands.

I love this one OP, you mean like most triple AAA mmos have in the last few years. This is a prime example of what i really dislike, lies, or uninformed people acting informed; both are just wrong. If you don't know what your talking about DON'T.

But when WOW launched in 2004 it was really amazing game, way ahead of its time.

SWTOR ? I am not that sure...

Doesn't need to be, as far as I am concerned, WoW was not revolutionary as you claim either.

People just flocked to it and played it for no reason right? Lets be honest, its ease of use and ease of play, along with easy gear was massively attractive. Incorperating the casual crowed into mmos was revolutionary and millions on top of millions of subs for multiple years prove this without dispute.

Just thought I'd correct a fellow mmorpg goer.  

Ty at that, figured id drop my two cents also.

Great post and replies.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by beeker255

I feel like im only getting half the story.

Lawl

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

I kinda laugh tbh, if bioware really did spend 300 million just to make a boring world of warcraft clone, WoW had a far smaller budget than that. I kinda feel sorry for bioware if swtor does not do really well 300 mil is no small number, its going to hit them hard.. Sad thing is, I don't think its gonna go to well, everywhere I go I hear swtor players saying how boring, generic and generally unfun swtor is. I was in one of the beta weekends and by the 2nd day I myself was fairly bored with the game, since it really had nothing innovative or intersting to it, it just was a wow clone with a new skin, kinda made me sad because I was expecting at least something being done diffrently. Yes I know it has VO, but ya know, i'd have rather them spent the vo budget on making gameplay that just didn't copy and paste from WoW so much.

Same with SWG I loved the class system and the whole cantina thing but I found the combat boring as shit, mostly because it bascally was you spamming the same hotkety till mob died, this was in orignal swg before any of the game destroying changes were made to it.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

It's funny. I'm an old school mmorpg player.

I'm loving ToR.

Can't see what the issue is. It's almost creepy how you people attack every mmo in existance.

You really do give devs mixed signals and you wonder why the genre is so messed up?

I highly doubt it will be anything of a failure.

If anything if you dislike it, tor isn't for you. Don't get crazy emotional into the subject.

It's like people debating pepsi to coke. It is non-sense.

Originally posted by Astropuyo

I'm loving ToR.

Can't see what the issue is. It's almost creepy how you people attack every mmo in existance.

You really do give devs mixed signals and you wonder why the genre is so messed up?

If anything if you dislike it, tor isn't for you. Don't get crazy emotional into the subject.

Don't see what being an 'old school mmorpg player' has to do with anything. If anything it's the people who have played WoW the most that are tired of games like this, not people who started with UO or EQ. If you can't see the issue then obviously you don't understand the other side of the argument which makes your opinion a little pointless towards an actual discussion. People have their opinions and they will express them whether you like them or not. People will claim that TOR is the greatest MMO ever made and I have a right to post my opinion against it just as much if I post that it will fail and they post that it wont. It's not non-sense just cause you don't understand it. That is just ignorance.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

I said the same about VOs a year ago. ITs clear that biowares focus was in the wrong area for a mmo. Voice acting is nice but not the cornerstone of long lasting games. Be sure they spent a considerable about of their effort, money, and time on this, instead of game mechanics and play.

I will not say swtor will fail, but it will not be wow 2.0 or even wow 0.5.

Still i find it a great single player game or multiplayer game as its really not an mmo or its is tehcnically an mmo but offers no massive experince or interaction (similar to wow).

PS- the while i agree on lp muds, the best muds were Diku's not becuase of dikus just because Duris and its spinoffs were easily the best muds ever.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Originally posted by drbaltazar

2 million at 100$ each turn in 200 million at lunch!almost 2/3 recoup if it costed 300 million so no sweat this is a huge success!

Lets hit this one on the head for a start.

- Boxes, statues and all the rest cost money to produce; they are not free.

- If you buy your copy for $100 from Amazon, GAME, BestBuy - whoever- EA do not get $100. Amazon etc. take a slice of the pie. For AoC funcom said they only got just over 20% of the box price (retailers like to allow for slow moving stock)

- 2 million sales, $100 are dodgy numbers as well.

There is an analyst prediction out there that says that if EA sell 2 million then he sees EA making $60M. That will be a mix of special editions, cheaper copies, box sales, more profitable direct downloads. $30 per sold copy - I won't argue with. 

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

Also, if you are watching from the side. Its obvious that the game is performing under expectations.

[citation needed]

Just million accounts at first month is same as Aoc, War and Rift had. Yet those games soon became wastelands.

yes, 2 days=a month, exactly the same

and lets ignore the fact that neither AoC nor rift ever had 1 million concurrent suscribers

Well, why on earth would a CEO admit to the claims that there is stuff wrong with their game and that it cost more then originally thought? That would be suicide for the game. A CEO has a more of a reason to lie to investors then someone who got fired from their job. Also, EALouse obviously wouldn't want much media attention cause then they will become unhireable to other companies if it is ever known who they are. I am more enclined to believe the person kicked to the curb then the rich fatcat who has more to lose.

A CEO that lies to their investors or the public will go to jail.

This is why when a CEO talks to their investors, everything is accepted as true. Considering that EA's financials are audited by an independant company, it isn't exactly hard to figure out if there was 100+ Million differences.

If you are interested in financials and investing on your own when you grow up, I'd recommend you look at shares/bonds.

Gdemami -

• DarVashielDarVashiel Member UncommonPosts: 80

I'm loving ToR.

Don't see what being an 'old school mmorpg player' has to do with anything. If anything it's the people who have played WoW the most that are tired of games like this, not people who started with UO or EQ. If you can't see the issue then obviously you don't understand the other side of the argument which makes your opinion a little pointless towards an actual discussion. People have their opinions and they will express them whether you like them or not. People will claim that TOR is the greatest MMO ever made and I have a right to post my opinion against it just as much if I post that it will fail and they post that it wont. It's not non-sense just cause you don't understand it. That is just ignorance.

So because the guy loves the game, he's wrong and your right. heres my opinion, thats ignorant...

Originally posted by DarVashiel

I'm loving ToR.

So because the guy loves the game, he's wrong and your right. heres my opinion, thats ignorant...

Didn't say he was wrong, I said that not understanding why people are disappointed in the game makes their opinion towards an actual discussion pointless. It has nothing to do with who is right or who is wrong. Nice job showing your ignorance towards the english language.

I'm loving ToR.

Ignorance is your lack of understanding of this post. You have failed at the very fundamental you stated I lack. Thusly your double standard is almost enjoyable.

I started UO, Baja 1999.

Then Legends until 2003

The only issue I see is peoples lack of resolve to accept change. Change is good.

You took the highly defensive route here, if not offensive.

Allow me to counter (you've no choice as this isn't real time)

I as an old school mmorpger always wanted more. Quests, choice, the ability to see the world without being ganked by 34 roxxor friends at the moongates.

I wanted a game where I could enjoy my very limited time as I have a full time job that requires running a company that oddly enough sells digital distribution..hehe.

You clearly do not understand that not all of us enjoyed getting face ganked every 50 minutes. Sure most of us eventually learned to fight back (I <3 pvp by the way. I just don't appreciate my halberd of vanquishing being ganked by Penilord555)

Where was the claim it was the greatest? I stated it's a damn good game and not only do I stick to that I put my money where my mouth is.

Your ingorance in choice of automatically type classing me as a wow player for my 5 years ago xfire usage (which I leave strictly so I can hand you people your asses) is the best part.

I'm Corwin. I <3 ToR.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

This is just another opinionated post with little "fact" in it.

The title is also misleading since there really isn't any information confirming anything

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

I never thought EA Louse was raving mad.

He is a disappointed gamer.

He's really no different than a lot of us here. Passionate gamers who occassionally exaggerte to get their point across.

Originally posted by DarVashiel

I'm loving ToR.

[Mod Edit]

Just enjoy your mmo's as they come. Sandboxes are great and they are fun. But how many of you "old schoolers" are playing Vanguard? That's as sandy as she gets right now. It's a great game and it throws you to the wolves.

Oddly enough people like this are not playing these games. UO is stil around I still have my sub (Whatever I enjoy my tower and decorating it, call me a simmer) I still log into a EQ classic here and there.

Meridian was my favorite personally. Pity they never updated it.

[Mod Edit]

Just enjoy your mmo's as they come. Sandboxes are great and they are fun. But how many of you "old schoolers" are playing Vanguard? That's as sandy as she gets right now. It's a great game and it throws you to the wolves.

Oddly enough people like this are not playing these games. UO is stil around I still have my sub (Whatever I enjoy my tower and decorating it, call me a simmer) I still log into a EQ classic here and there.

I think it has to do with the fact they are perceived to be 'ignored'.

The past 7 years of WoW has shown everyone that people will pay for a WoW-like game more than 'sandbox' ones.

And the game studios are just responding to that, ignoring the niche sandbox guys.

There are sandbox games coming out still but it isn't as big as themeparks and unless people's taste change, it'll remain that way for a long time.

Nothing wrong with the above, it is just supply-demand / free market stuff; working as intended.

Gdemami -

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

Don't expect people who are not educated on business, marketing, advertising, and economics to understand.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• grizlokgrizlok Member Posts: 5

You are right, he wasn't just raving mad - he was also dead wrong.

Huge success, very innovative - crafting and companions are genius!  VO is the tip of the iceberg.

Easily the best MMO I have ever played.  Cancel my wow and rift subs.

Some people are never happy - I honestly pity them, anyway, done pooping, time to get back on.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

What I enjoyed is he went for my Xfire bait. I don't get folks like that. Ignorance is being unlearned in a certain degree of knowledge. Ignorance is exaclty what this guy/girl rolled out.

I think it has to do with the fact they are perceived to be 'ignored'.

The past 7 years of WoW has shown everyone that people will pay for a WoW-like game more than 'sandbox' ones.

And the game studios are just responding to that, ignoring the niche sandbox guys.

There are sandbox games coming out still but it isn't as big as themeparks and unless people's taste change, it'll remain that way for a long time.

Nothing wrong with the above, it is just supply-demand / free market stuff; working as intended.

Actually...I would say that the past 7 years have shown that people will pay for "WoW," and specifically WoW, more than another game.  I mean...look at the facts.

The MMO market in general has grown explosively over the past 7 years.  And yet nearly every themepark MMO in exception for one has only had their subs go one place...down, in North America.  When the market is growing, and yet every game except for one is declining, what does that tell you?

Just check out these charts:  http://mmodata.blogspot.com/.  The only themepark game to demonstrate actual growth other than WoW is Aion, and that's only because it's primarily big in Asia.  AoC, Rift, WAR, they all start big and then have a meteoric drop.

In fact, one of the only MMORPGs to demonstrate constant, steady growth in NA other than WoW is Eve.

What this tells me is that games that try to imitate WoW, never live up to the real thing.  When the market is growing, and you're not, that's not good.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

I'm loving ToR.

Ignorance is your lack of understanding of this post. You have failed at the very fundamental you stated I lack. Thusly your double standard is almost enjoyable.

I started UO, Baja 1999.

Then Legends until 2003

The only issue I see is peoples lack of resolve to accept change. Change is good.

You took the highly defensive route here, if not offensive.

Allow me to counter (you've no choice as this isn't real time)

I as an old school mmorpger always wanted more. Quests, choice, the ability to see the world without being ganked by 34 roxxor friends at the moongates.

I wanted a game where I could enjoy my very limited time as I have a full time job that requires running a company that oddly enough sells digital distribution..hehe.

You clearly do not understand that not all of us enjoyed getting face ganked every 50 minutes. Sure most of us eventually learned to fight back (I <3 pvp by the way. I just don't appreciate my halberd of vanquishing being ganked by Penilord555)

Where was the claim it was the greatest? I stated it's a damn good game and not only do I stick to that I put my money where my mouth is.

Your ingorance in choice of automatically type classing me as a wow player for my 5 years ago xfire usage (which I leave strictly so I can hand you people your asses) is the best part.

I'm Corwin. I <3 ToR

Really? You are talking about my "Ingorance"  when you didn't even read my post properly. I said that you being an old school MMOer didn't matter and said the people who would be tired of the game would most likely be WoW veterans not old schoolers, so I wasn't talking about you. I also didn't claim it was you who said about the game being the greatest, it was another post which I mentioned "people will claim" again, not talking about you. So, I didn't class you as any type of player other then what you claimed for yourself. Next time learn to read properly before accusing others of ignorance.