Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess now we know EAlouse wasn't just raving mad

Comments

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by sammyeli

Originally posted by onthestick

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

It's pretty credible that he mentioned that sound and VO are the only changes to an otherwise same-game MMO. I didn't even mention anything, anywhere, regarding the rest of his open letter, just the information regarding the VO and sound (and that's because he's right). I would agree that, if this letter was written after the fact, that the sound and VO information did come directly from Bioware's news or information, in which case still doesn't solve the massive problem by making a game that replicates others, but with improved sound.

Again it is an opinion not a fact. Same game is such a vague term because i find plenty of things different in SWTOR. As long as other persons view points confirm your own..it is credible otherwise it is not. Credbility means facts..and his blog had none.

and what are these different things that you have plenty of?

Just asking, because people say these things and never mention what it is really.

Never mentioned? i mentioned it like million times but i will do it again... different things for me or what i like to call non standard features... modding system, crew skills, companion system, change in appearance on basis of light/dark choices, V.O has already been mentioned. These are some things just from top of my head which make SWTOR quite a different game for me.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

There is a lot of presumption in your post Distopia. i'm not calling it 100% right, i'm saying it looks like he was on to something. i am not out to prove the budget is 300mil, cuz i have never, ever said it was. i said that EA/Bioware's word is no better than his or mine or yours....and that's pretty much true. he wasn't very far off from the file size, nor the game being underwhelming outside of the audio and VO.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

It's pretty credible that he mentioned that sound and VO are the only changes to an otherwise same-game MMO. I didn't even mention anything, anywhere, regarding the rest of his open letter, just the information regarding the VO and sound (and that's because he's right). I would agree that, if this letter was written after the fact, that the sound and VO information did come directly from Bioware's news or information, in which case still doesn't solve the massive problem by making a game that replicates others, but with improved sound.

Again it is an opinion not a fact. Same game is such a vague term because i find plenty of things different in SWTOR. As long as other persons view points confirm your own..it is credible otherwise it is not. Credbility means facts..and his blog had none.

Just asking, because people say these things and never mention what it is really.

Never mentioned? i mentioned it like million times but i will do it again... different things for me or what i like to call non standard features... modding system, crew skills, companion system, change in appearance on basis of light/dark choices, V.O has already been mentioned. These are somethings just from top of my head which make SWTOR quite a dufferent game for me.

and you believe that those things are extremely different from all past MMOs and can only be cited in SWTOR?

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by fony

There is a lot of presumption in your post Distopia. i'm not calling it 100% right, i'm saying it looks like he was on to something. i am not out to prove the budget is 300mil, cuz i have never, ever said it was. i said that EA/Bioware's word is no better than his or mine or yours....and that's pretty much true. he wasn't very far off from the file size, nor the game being underwhelming outside of the audio and VO.

You didn't really say much in the body of your post, I was referring to your thread title. To me it read as we know he was telling the truth, with that it would ecompass the entirety of his statements. WHen you don't really explain your intention, nor point out what exactly you're saying, all we have to fill in the blanks is presumption. So if I'm wrong my apologies.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

What you fail to understand that he is saying SWTOR is or going to be underwhelming is no more special than some other random posters who said the same thing, just like many would say about TSW and GW2 or any other MMO that is going to be released in future.

But there are two sides to the coin and there are also those who would disagree with what EAlouse said and find SWTOR quite enjoyable. So he is right as long as your opinion matches his own and he is wrong as long as your own opinion differs from his. Only because he believed game won't be good enough doesn't give him any more credibility than me saying that The Secret WORLD is going to suck because Funcom is behind it..maybe i should write a blog too?

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Look, its obvious that game had huge investment.

Was it 100 million as EA claims or 300 million as EA Lause claims. We will never know.

But since a company will never reveal true numbers. I will have to assume its somwhere in the middle.

Which still makes it the most expensive MMO by far.

Also, if you are watching from the side. Its obvious that the game is performing under expectations. Expectations that were high that is - being both huge investment , Bioware and Star Wars franchise game.

Just million accounts at first month is same as Aoc, War and Rift had. Yet those games soon became wastelands.

If you base retention on every MMO that launched since 2004 , it only goes down...

Will SWTOR fare better ?

Judging from ammount of complaints, it seems to be going the same way as previous MMOs.

But maybe miracle will happen ?

WOW effect maybe ?

But when WOW launched in 2004 it was really amazing game, way ahead of its time.

SWTOR ? I am not that sure...

Good post, and I pretty much agree.  One thing that's interesting is that (AFAIK) NO major MMORPG released since like 2006 has actually grown.  They all come out the gate with a massive amount of subs and then quickly decline to reach a stable, yet fairly low, number.  So it's going to be very impressive if SWTOR can buck this trend.  But given the history of similar games, I don't know if it's likely.

And as for the money invested in SWTOR, another thing to consider is that (AFAIK) Bioware was already developing SWTOR when EA purchased them.  I actually heard that the purchase happened because they were running out of money to fund SWTOR.  So you also have to account for the money that Bioware invested into SWTOR before EA purchased them.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Never mentioned? i mentioned it like million times but i will do it again... different things for me or what i like to call non standard features... modding system, crew skills, companion system, change in appearance on basis of light/dark choices, V.O has already been mentioned. These are somethings just from top of my head which make SWTOR quite a dufferent game for me.

and you believe that those things are extremely different from all past MMOs and can only be cited in SWTOR?

I was 100% sure you were gonna say that. extremely different or not but is it different? yes. Other than FFXI i don't remember any other MMO making such an extensive use of companion system but SWTOR is even one step ahead because you can actually kill your companions on basis of choices you make. That wasn't possible in FFXI. Modding system to change appearance of your gear..only other MMO i know which is using same system is GW2..crew skills again.. no other MMO has it. So yep SWTOR is not just the same game as people like to label it.

here we go.

Never mentioned? i mentioned it like million times but i will do it again... different things for me or what i like to call non standard features... modding system, crew skills, companion system, change in appearance on basis of light/dark choices, V.O has already been mentioned. These are some things just from top of my head which make SWTOR quite a different game for me.

I've actually found that just giving a laundry list of features when trying to prove that one game is different from another in inadequate.  Why?  Because it may not reflect the actual play experience of the game.

For example, SWTOR could (hypothetical) be different from WoW in every single possible way when considering the crafting system.  But this really wouldn't mean that much because the vast majority of players spend most of their time questing/PvPing/dungeons etc.

You really have to compare games on a basis of what players spend the most time doing.  And when I play SWTOR I do questing/BGs/Dungeons.  When I play WoW I do questing/BGs/Dungeons.

And when you compare these features from SWTOR to the equivalents in WoW...they are pretty similar.

I was 100% sure you were gonna say that. extremely different or not but is it different? yes. Other than FFXI i don't remember any other MMO making such an extensive use of companion system but SWTOR is even one step ahead because you can actually kill your companions on basis of choices you make. That wasn't possible in FFXI. Modding system to change appearance of your gear..only other MMO i know which is using same system is GW2..crew skills again.. no other MMO has it. So yep SWTOR is not just the same game as people like to label it.

GW1 companions, except they couldnt craft for ya. the only thing i see is crew skills i guess thats different from other games.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

GW1 companions, except they couldnt craft for ya. the only thing i see is crew skills i guess thats different from other games.

The dialog choices are different as well.  At least on the scale they are done on in SWTOR.  Considering only MMORPGs of course...

Originally posted by Creslin321

I've actually found that just giving a laundry list of features when trying to prove that one game is different from another in inadequate.  Why?  Because it may not reflect the actual play experience of the game.

For example, SWTOR could (hypothetical) be different from WoW in every single possible way when considering the crafting system.  But this really wouldn't mean that much because the vast majority of players spend most of their time questing/PvPing/dungeons etc.

You really have to compare games on a basis of what players spend the most time doing.  And when I play SWTOR I do questing/BGs/Dungeons.  When I play WoW I do questing/BGs/Dungeons.

And when you compare these features from SWTOR to the equivalents in WoW...they are pretty similar.

Yeah no surprise there..i wonder why we don't use same logic on GW2 forums heh? no one knows by the way what majority of players spent doing their time in SWTOR. When you are 100% certain about how majority plays and what features, i would do exactly what you said. Till then please feel free to repeat SWTOR is like WOW.

Sorry GW1 companion system is not even close.FFXI was light years ahead in companion system and SWTOR is even an improvement over what FFXI did.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Onthestick was pretty much correct in his interpretation of what I said. For many EAlouse's comments are going to ring true.

On the surface TOR is basically your typical "newschool" MMO. IT deviates little in core functionality from what has come since 04. The endgame, the day to day and the journey are basically what many would expect from the "WOW" formula. Many have grown sick of that, so in turn they will feel Bioware dropped the ball. To me that's perfectly understandable. The only real game-changer is the VO and story presentation, for many that will not be enough.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by dubyahite

I'm not seeing the point here. How was he he proven right again?

First of all, about the file size of the game. Only about 7-8 GB is VO work.  The rest is the game. 

Second, we still don't know what the budget of this game was, and I still don't think it was anywhere near 300 million.

Comparing the game to Avatar? WHAT? That doesn't even make sense.

Oh, and the greatest failure of MMOs in the history of EA? I don't see how you can possibly make that claim yet. 

U cant see because u have no experience thats why.

Let us that we play games since 1997 to know something more about what is going to fail and what is not.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Yeah no surprise there..i wonder why we don't use same logic on GW2 forums heh? no one knows by the way what majority of players spent doing their time in SWTOR. When you are 100% certain about how majority plays and what features, i would do exactly what you said. Till then please feel free to repeat SWTOR is like WOW.

Onthestick I can tell you see GW 2 as threat due to your post but have you ever tried the game out yet? You and many other sound like me or some of my friends before we tried the game out lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Well...I'm not a betting man, but I would guess that most people spend their time doing questing, PvP, and flashpoints in SWTOR.  Because ummm...what else is there to do?  That's basically the core of the game right there.  And that's basically pretty similar to WoW.

And as for GW2...not sure why we're bringing this into it, but I'm guessing most people will spend their time doing:

Dynamic Events, PvP, WvWvW, and the personal story.

All of those have similarities to WoW, but probably not that similar.

Originally posted by RizelStar

Onthestick I can tell you see GW 2 as threat due to your post but have you ever tried the game out yet? You and many other sound like me or some of my friends before we tried the game out lol.

What you can tell is not what necessarily means true. I don't see GW2 as a threat in any way. I never bashe GW2 because i haven't played it and even after playign it i won't bash it. .i don't see how and from where you got that i am threatned from GW2. I guess i am not even allowed to just say "GW2' without ringing off the bat signal.

he probably assumed that because you use GW2 to invalidate anyone who doesn't speak of TOR favorably, or brand them as a troll.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

in 30 days only Cool aid drinkers and the terminaly bored will be playing.  Swtor will bleed subs like no tomorrow.

he probably assumed that because you use GW2 to invalidate anyone who doesn't speak of TOR favorably, or brand them as a troll.

I can use same logic on those who label anyone who dislikes GW2 as a troll..Hell i even saw a guy calling people 'living a crappy existence' because they dislike GW2 lol.

• beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Nevermind going to do something more constructive with my time just not worth reading these forums. RAGE quiting the forums and going into lurker mode from time to time.

@ Onthestick:

i have seen very little, if any of that. out of hand dismissal because they mentioned another game in the past...in truth i've only see that coming from SWTOR fans these days.

@ Onthestick:

i have seen very little, if any of that. out of hand dismissal because they mentioned another game in the past...in truth i've only see that coming from SWTOR fans these days.

People see what they want to see and read what they want to read as long as it helps their own agenda ;)

The thing is if its the case of 300 million spent - then its the question of how come the game didnt come out polished and is VO the only thing you spent money on.

And when its 100 mil (Still a bit too much) but people have less questions about where did all that money go.

Because as we see some of the problems from alpha havent even been taken care of, I am not saying they are huge and are very small, but for 100 mil or 300 mill budget I think it could have been a bit more polished. dont you think?

Carl Sagan-