Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess now we know EAlouse wasn't just raving mad

Comments

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by pharazonic

Originally posted by drbaltazar

2 million at 100$ each turn in 200 million at lunch!almost 2/3 recoup if it costed 300 million so no sweat this is a huge success!

EA/BW has said they need to sell $500k copies to break even.

That said, an MMO's monetary success or failure does nothing to it in the eyes of the community and rightfully so. 

AoC has a positive cash flow right now and the game is actually making FC money since F2P. But just because AoC's financial reports look pretty doesn't mean FunCon is a great MMO developer does it? 

Similarly, take WoW - the game has a lot of negatives. But if you were to judge it on the basis of how muc money they rake in, they're the best MMO ever. 

they said they need 500K subs not $500 in box sales.  Not trying to aruge against your point but just wanted to clear that up.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by dubyahite

Oh look the defend0rs have arrived.

Anyways I'm not sure what OP is on about.

Oh lord no! not people who enjoy a game and defend it against blatant lies and misinformation like the OP!

The op didn't even say anything, he posted a screenshot.

WTF are you on?

"Guess now we know EAlouse wasn't just raving mad"

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Oh lord no! not people who enjoy a game and defend it against blatant lies and misinformation like the OP!

WTF are you on?

he technically said under the screen shot "imo, things don't look to be changing for EA.  when will they get it right?". Nice miss there, buddy.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by onthestick

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by beeker255

So how is this not baiting or constructive?

Because he's not really saying it. He's just posting what someone else wrote about delusional fanboys and EA failing and the  clusterf**k that is SWTOR. All he is doing is saying that the guy was correct.  Stop trying to call it a duck just because it walks and quacks like a duck. image

So he is using someones else troll post to bait people? sounds like baiting to me.

Be careful, you're treading dangerous waters making an accusation like that! :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by beeker255

So how is this not baiting or constructive?

Because he's not really saying it. He's just posting what someone else wrote about delusional fanboys and EA failing and the  clusterf**k that is SWTOR. All he is doing is saying that the guy was correct.  Stop trying to call it a duck just because it walks and quacks like a duck. image

Out of perverse curiosity, I simply must beg an opinion of you...

so you think it's "baiting" or "unconstructive" to:

a) call a spade a spade

b) agree with other people

c) link others' sentiments if they are similar to your own to show that you're not the lone factor

?

Frankly, I just don't buy it. It would be baiting if he made personal attacks against people, or implied things about the game that were not true. It would be unconstructive if he posted lies to mislead potential consumers of the game. All he has done is stimulate discussion and provided the sources of the real people with concrete issues of the game. 

If he had never played the game and wrote fake reviews - now that would be unconstructive. 

I find these posts (like yours) - that prompt finger pointing and fighting - to be unconstructive.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

So OP still believe it cost 300 million to make SWTOR? really? because EAlouse said so? and he also said that SWTOR is going to be the biggest failure in history of MMOS and OP also believes that. lol

No EAlouse was mad, raving or not but nothing he said has come true. 

Isn't it true what he mentioned regarding the sound, though? I mean, he's completely correct: the game is almost verbatim what has been mass produced for the past five or ten years, with great sound and VO. From that perspective, which is one I share, it seems his statement is par for the course.

Oh please..stop grasping at the straws. What EALouse said about VO wasn't some hidden secret. Everyone knew about VO and Bioware was pretty open and proud about it. Now whether you like or dislike it is another matter but EAlouse didn't tell us something we already didn't knew.

Who's grasping at straws? The game is what we've been playing for the past ten years, with great sound and VO. Are you trying to imply that his open letter was written after the information regarding TOR was released, so therefore his statements aren't credible?

What is credible in his post? game cost 300 million? where is the proof? V.O is a very big feature of SWTOR? yes Bioware told us that long time ago. SWTOR is going to be the biggest failure in MMO history? again..did it fail? so what is the credible information here may i know?

Other than you agreeing with his opinion because you feel the same doesn't make Ealouse's post credible. It means your opinion is same as his.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

WTF are you on?

So you just wanted to jump in and start calling people defenders because it is fun? 

No, because its true.

You, Dub and Distopia are jumping on every thread in this forum defending the game, even when it doesn't need to be defended.

First you complain about baiting, then you fall for it, jesus fucking christ.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

everyone please calm down a bit and keep it civil.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Hmmm...I have to side with the defenders on this one.  Simply because, there's no real proof that EA Louse was right...yet.

Yes, you can argue that the only good thing about the game is the story/VO, but that's really just a subjective opinion.

The real test is going to few in a few months when we see what subs look like.  If subs take a massive nose dive, then yeah, we can proclaim EA Louse a prophet.  Until then, his prophecy remains unfulfilled :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Sector13

WTF are you on?

he technically said under the screen shot "imo, things don't look to be changing for EA.  when will they get it right?". Nice miss there, buddy.

Post has scroll-bars on my screen, didn't see that, opened the screen in a new window and assumed its all there was.

Originally posted by Creslin321

Hmmm...I have to side with the defenders on this one.  Simply because, there's no real proof that EA Louse was right...yet.

That's the point of the thread: was he right or not? The OP obviously doesn't seem to think so but nowhere does he imply that his view is the only legitimate one and everyone else's isn't. 

Does he really need to spell it out so clearly?

Seriously guys, put down the kool aid, or pipe or spiced-eggnog and just CALM DOWN. Not everything's an attack. 

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

So OP still believe it cost 300 million to make SWTOR? really? because EAlouse said so? and he also said that SWTOR is going to be the biggest failure in history of MMOS and OP also believes that. lol

No EAlouse was mad, raving or not but nothing he said has come true. 

Isn't it true what he mentioned regarding the sound, though? I mean, he's completely correct: the game is almost verbatim what has been mass produced for the past five or ten years, with great sound and VO. From that perspective, which is one I share, it seems his statement is par for the course.

Oh please..stop grasping at the straws. What EALouse said about VO wasn't some hidden secret. Everyone knew about VO and Bioware was pretty open and proud about it. Now whether you like or dislike it is another matter but EAlouse didn't tell us something we already didn't knew.

Who's grasping at straws? The game is what we've been playing for the past ten years, with great sound and VO. Are you trying to imply that his open letter was written after the information regarding TOR was released, so therefore his statements aren't credible?

What is credible in his post? game cost 300 million? where is the proof? V.O is a very big feature of SWTOR? yes Bioware told us that long time ago. SWTOR is going to be the biggest failure in MMO history? again..did it fail? so what is the credible information here may i know?

Other than you agreeing with his opinion because you feel the same doesn't make Ealouse's post credible. It means your opinion is same as his.

It's pretty credible that he mentioned that sound and VO are the only changes to an otherwise same-game MMO. I didn't even mention anything, anywhere, regarding the rest of his open letter, just the information regarding the VO and sound (and that's because he's right). I would agree that, if this letter was written after the fact, that the sound and VO information did come directly from Bioware's news or information, in which case still doesn't solve the massive problem by making a game that replicates others, but with improved sound.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

No, because its true.

You, Dub and Distopia are jumping on every thread in this forum defending the game, even when it doesn't need to be defended.

First you complain about baiting, then you fall for it, jesus fucking christ.

So let me guess it is ok for you to jump to defend GW2 but we are not allowed to? am i right? if you are going to post EAlouse blog as some kind of fact ofcourse people will react. 

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

i'm not saying he was 100% correct, but the game and situation are shaping up very much like what he said. EA's history in RPG's and MMO's is well known, so that's why i said it looks like they aren't learning.

Frankly, I just don't buy it. It would be baiting if he made personal attacks against people, or implied things about the game that were not true. It would be unconstructive if he posted lies to mislead potential consumers of the game. All he has done is stimulate discussion and provided the sources of the real people with concrete issues of the game. 

If he had never played the game and wrote fake reviews - now that would be unconstructive. 

I find these posts (like yours) - that prompt finger pointing and fighting - to be unconstructive.

That would be overt baiting, there are different levels of baiting and the only way to truly know or guess is to know the poster, many know the poster, and it's not unreasonable to assume based on previous statements what the intention is.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Creslin321

Yes, you can argue that the only good thing about the game is the story/VO, but that's really just a subjective opinion.

The real test is going to few in a few months when we see what subs look like.  If subs take a massive nose dive, then yeah, we can proclaim EA Louse a prophet.  Until then, his prophecy remains unfulfilled :).

I agree with Creslin. If 6 months down the line we're seeing server merges and low pop, then I'd say there was a certain amount of failure there, either in the game or in the release planning. Right now, though, 'clusterf**k', 'fail' and 'delusional fanboys' seem like the ravings of a madman... a bitter madman.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Distopia

That would be overt baiting, there are different levels of baiting and the only way to truly know or guess is to know the poster, many know the poster, and it's not unreasonable to assume based on previous statements what the intention is.

i'm not trying to argue with anybody here, nor incite a flame fest. let the past be the past. also many of my perceived "trolling" has been an over reaction by the fans. i have alot of hands on experience with this game. you cannot just throw me under the bus because you don't like what i have to say.

Why must there always be an "intention" or an "agenda"? 

If someone finds something disatisfactory, they are free to make a post about it. 

If the OP made 100 posts about how EA Louse was correct - that would be unconstructive, spamming and trolling. 

If he made 100 posts on how the combat sucks without being able to justify himself (IE he never played the game), that would be flatout trolling. 

Just because someone believes in something doesn't mean they have some malicious intention to cause you displeasure.

At least that's my view. I don't think I am that important that a person will take time out of their day to piss me off. 

Newsflash from MikeB for you

"Just wanted to clarify that I never said we'd be banning negative posters on this subforum or any subforum here, at least not explicitly. We want you to be able to share your opinion (positive or negative), we just want it to be shared in a fairly constructive manner and with respect shown for your fellow forum goers.

At the same time, it is true that posting this negative commentary over and over day in and day out can and does become disruptive and we need to deal with that. This does not mean we instantly ban users, however. Each user gets the standard warning - > ban escalation that anyone else would, and we'll often contact these problematic users privately to discuss the particular situation at length and ask them to dial it back a bit so as to avoid become disruptive.

As I said previously, the best thing for you to do if you don't like a game is to air it all out in a single impression or review thread, create your own user feature, or even blog about it. It really isn't necessary to post about it constantly.

If you feel another user qualifies as this sort of "negative poster" please do not call them out on it publicly on the forums, drag their post history out to support your claim, or attack them. If you feel this is more than a one-off instance of trolling or flaming, go ahead and shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]) and I'll review the matter personally.

Now, these forums are for the discussion of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Not the discussion of discussing the game or the discussion of other users, so I'm going go ahead and lock this thread.

Thanks for your feedback!"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/336419/page/6#4645098

Stop discussing the poster, thanks!

It's pretty credible that he mentioned that sound and VO are the only changes to an otherwise same-game MMO. I didn't even mention anything, anywhere, regarding the rest of his open letter, just the information regarding the VO and sound (and that's because he's right). I would agree that, if this letter was written after the fact, that the sound and VO information did come directly from Bioware's news or information, in which case still doesn't solve the massive problem by making a game that replicates others, but with improved sound.

Again it is an opinion not a fact. Same game is such a vague term because i find plenty of things different in SWTOR. As long as other persons view points confirm your own..it is credible otherwise it is not. Credbility means facts..and his blog had none.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Again it is an opinion not a fact. Same game is such a vague term because i find plenty of things different in SWTOR. As long as other persons view points confirm your own..it is credible otherwise it is not. Credbility means facts..and his blog had none.

and what are these different things that you have plenty of?

Just asking, because people say these things and never mention what it is really.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Originally posted by fony

i'm not trying to argue with anybody here, nor incite a flame fest. let the past be the past. also many of my perceived "trolling" has been an over reaction by the fans. i have alot of hands on experience with this game. you cannot just throw me under the bus because you don't like what i have to say.

I just want to repeat myself from earlier in the thread, and why I personally dislike threads like this. I have nothing against you nor your opinions, I just hate the round and round altogether.

"First to prove EAlouse correct we'd have to know for fact they spent 300 mil making TOR. WIthout such proof there's no argument to be proven.

Second all threads like this say, and what we learn from it is, posters will say and attempt to solidify any point, simply because a game isn't what they wanted it to be. Even if the source of that point, debunked his comments himself.

In short, you want to believe EA louse and throw his statements out there not because they've been proven, but because TOR isn't the game you want, and you know such a statement will result in a heated back and forth that goes no where. At the end of that discussion nothing will change; those who like TOR will still call BS, those who don't will do the opposite if in some way EAlouse's comments prove some point they want to make. Such as "TOR is nothing new, it's the same MMO we've always played with VO and cutscenes"."

Why must there always be an "intention" or an "agenda"? 

If someone finds something disatisfactory, they are free to make a post about it. 

If the OP made 100 posts about how EA Louse was correct - that would be unconstructive, spamming and trolling. 

If he made 100 posts on how the combat sucks without being able to justify himself (IE he never played the game), that would be flatout trolling. 

Just because someone believes in something doesn't mean they have some malicious intention to cause you displeasure.

At least that's my view. I don't think I am that important that a person will take time out of their day to piss me off. 

I didn't say there has to be and agenda, all I'm saying is this thread looks like a call to arms for some forum PVP to me.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Just want to remind everyone to stay on topic and not argue about whether something is trolling, baiting, flaming, etc. If you feel someone is in violation of our RoC, report them and we'll deal with it if necessary. Please don't derail the thread to try and deal with it on the open forums.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

Look, its obvious that game had huge investment.

Was it 100 million as EA claims or 300 million as EA Lause claims. We will never know.

But since a company will never reveal true numbers. I will have to assume its somwhere in the middle.

Which still makes it the most expensive MMO by far.

Also, if you are watching from the side. Its obvious that the game is performing under expectations. Expectations that were high that is - being both huge investment , Bioware and Star Wars franchise game.

Just million accounts at first month is same as Aoc, War and Rift had. Yet those games soon became wastelands.

If you base retention on every MMO that launched since 2004 , it only goes down...

Will SWTOR fare better ?

Judging from ammount of complaints, it seems to be going the same way as previous MMOs.

But maybe miracle will happen ?

WOW effect maybe ?

But when WOW launched in 2004 it was really amazing game, way ahead of its time.

SWTOR ? I am not that sure...