Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can Guild Wars 2 be improved?

1234568»

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Fir3line

Originally posted by Granrey

Is there anything out dated in GW2 compared to new MMO?

Since GW2 has either pushed the envelope or improved/innovated (or any other word you fill like it) in many areas on the game but since the game has been in development for so long is also possible that some things might be outdated compared to new MMO.

I decided to take a look at some videos and see if there is something that could be seen as dated or that could have been better.

The only thing I could see something that most might not agree (as tons of people don’t agree with removing the holy trinity). I find the combat mechanics and speed not to par with some MMO’s regarding speed.

For what I could see (correct me if I’m wrong please). Like a typical MMO, you left click to select a target and then either left click on screen skill (or key bind), this is not bad at all but some games the combat speed is way faster.

Take a look at DCUO and Vindictus (by no means these games are better than GW2 as overall). Targets are auto selected and not only you have your skill bar but you also have mouse clicks combo skills.

I know some people find the system in DCUO and Vindictus complicated (key smashing) but believe me as soon as you get the hang of it, everything else looks dated.

The combat system in DCUO is as conflicting as the holy trinity is IMO.

DCUO is a game for PS3 aswell, so take that into account.

The combat in GW2 is a mix between a proper action RPG (look up Tera Videos, or dragons nest) and a normal mmo.

For eg, if you are a warrior and run up to someone and not target him, and use some cleaving ability, it will hit that target, as anyone in range of your cleave ability, meaning you dont need to target to do it.

Some other abilities might need a specific target, as do the ranged abilities, however if its anything like GW1 ranged abilities might be dodge if the target is moving sideways and is to far, thus becoming dependant on how far from your target x flight time of the ability.

There is obviously ofc the pro active dodge that every class as access to

Also when I tried out the bow for my warrior you don't need to select targets to shoot arrows either it's the same as melee.

You can set auto attack were you right click and follow the target but that's about you.

To me it was a nice add, it's a more mobile experience than DCUO as well, like you could attack then immediately move and have an instant attack before or afterwards.

Hope this helps as a "piggy back."

Also someone said that emotions on the face could help, that will be awesome if they put em in while killing cam, they did put in actual combat and what not which is awesome. As well as the noises like you don't just grunt you make some fierce noises that make your attacks even more cruicial. 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Diovidius

Originally posted by MMOExposed

In your opinion from all the previews, how can Guild Wars 2 be improved?

GW2 can be improved by waiting until open beta to ask questions like this.

not really talking about it with the community actually lead to where they are now in their development so it's always time.

that being said i'd have to say ground mounts. They don't have to go 300 miles per hour but it would be certainly more fun. I understand the teleport mechanics and i'm certainly not asking for flying mounts but ground mounts would be fun. :) 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by itgrowls

Originally posted by Diovidius

Originally posted by MMOExposed

In your opinion from all the previews, how can Guild Wars 2 be improved?

GW2 can be improved by waiting until open beta to ask questions like this.

not really talking about it with the community actually lead to where they are now in their development so it's always time.

that being said i'd have to say ground mounts. They don't have to go 300 miles per hour but it would be certainly more fun. I understand the teleport mechanics and i'm certainly not asking for flying mounts but ground mounts would be fun. :) 

But think about it bro, like I'm not gonna lie I agree, however it's like making the whole game again, see if they are trying to change the way we play MMOs I have a huge feeling that they want to change the way Mounts are used, I.E ability to do cross proffesions, speed, swimming, and so forth.

I think though if you have a mount it'd be realistic example you can only swim on the surface unless it's an aquatic mount.

So it's like redoing everything, they actually and honestly never said they will never add mounts, but they are in fact [might] look into it, but most likely they want it to be fun both ways and most likely "unique" in MMOs.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

The only thing I can think of is having a separate PvP format (battlegrounds) that allows your PvE gear to be worn and have it tiered (maybe levels 1-20, 21-41, ect) with a bolster system. That way, your PvE gear which you've slotted with insignias, ect can be worn in PvP. I know world vs world will do this, but I would also like a more balanced form. I think having that, as well as the structured PvP would hit a nice balance.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

I think they need to serious it up a bit. The feel of a game is important to me, and I want something to be believable. Now, I can do suspension of disbelief for charr tanks because they have an industrial revolution going, their entire city is clearly one giant factory. That's fine. I can do suspension of disbelief for the Sylvari because they have a source - the tree. But the asura (or the spacegoat-gnomes as I have come to call them)... I just can't do it for.

See, the asura are these little, giggly, foolish midgets who're apparently capable of pulling robot armies and holographic screens out of nowhere. Their city doesn't look like a factory, it looks like a spaceship. But where are the production lines? How did they manage all this? "A wizard did it" is terrible, terrible writing, but that seems to be what ArenaNet are giving us for everything that the asura do. With my favourite fantasy works (like the Worldspring, Discworld, and so on), there's a well written reason for being for everything. Everything has a source.

Fantasy is great, I love magic, but it all has a source. That's the nature of things, there's a balance to it. Even in the webcomics I read, the magicians have a source and limitations - but the asura? The asura are gods. So why haven't they just wiped out the reest of the world, with their ability to make things pop into existence? Why haven't they pulled Elder Dragon killing devices out of their magical midget utility belts? I'm supposed to believe that they have limitions, and yet they clearly have none.

With industry, the limitations are clear - manpower and physical resources. With the sylvari, it's the production networks of nature, which I can buy. But the asura don't seem to obey any laws. Consider it a sort of alchemical view, where if you create something, then that has to come from somewhere, it has to drain something, because if it doesn't then you basically have access to the extropic forces of a god. And with those extropic forces, the spacegoat-gnomes have built themselves a starship filled with robots.

Now, I'd have to be a flaming hypocrite (and so would you!) to not allow WoW to do this if you're going to let Guild Wars 2 get away with it, just because you like it. It means you have no standards if that happens, and no sense of personal dignity. The gnomes in WoW pull robots out of their arse with no obvious source of how they're doing it, the spacegoats have incredible technology which they somehow keep running (but at least in their case you could possibly say it's the Naaru doing it). And the asura are just like that.

Poof! The asura have a spaceship city, no signs of industry with which they created it. Poof! The asura have robot armies. They really did put on their robes and wizard hats. I can't excuse WoW for lazy writing like this, and I can't excuse ArenaNet, either. I mean, in regards to the other races, their progression is believable, but the asura have no source. Not to mention that they're a giggly, colourful, and "cute" joke. They're nowhere near the respectabe little guys that they were in the original Guild Wars.

I mean, when I look at the Mesoamerican stylings of Guild Wars 1, and how awesome the likes of Vekk were, and then I compare this with the giggly, child-like, "cute" spacegoat-gnomes of GW2, it makes me want to weep. Openly. They were supposed to have been magical with a proper source, as they were in the original Guild Wars. Now they're just spacegoat-gnomes. And it's really, really putting me off the game.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Interesting post, Chaser. 

The two novels may not explain every last detail of the origin of asura tech, but they at least give you some concepts on what source they draw power for their automatons from. Then there are things like this short story that give more context to how their society and psychology relates to their inventions.

It may not be to your liking, but is mostly "magitech". That's the point of asura science, especially when contrasted to the charr. May be an "easy way out", but as a theme for a fantasy race it's fitting.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Good points, Chaser.  I think the Asura were brought into the playable fold because of the potential to please fans of "giddy midgets" or whatever you called them (ie: gnome players).  Since the Asurans are the last possible race I'd probably choose for a character in GW2, it doesn't bother me greatly, but everything else seems so well put together, that your revelation that "a wizard did it" does sound a little lazy.  The thing is, I have learned at least twice now that doubting ANet has been fruitless since they change things all the time and have improved the game by leaps and bounds since last Fall, so I'll be watching to see if they go back to the drawing board on the Asura as well.  I want a believable fantasy world as much as you do.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

I think they need to serious it up a bit. The feel of a game is important to me, and I want something to be believable. Now, I can do suspension of disbelief for charr tanks because they have an industrial revolution going, their entire city is clearly one giant factory. That's fine. I can do suspension of disbelief for the Sylvari because they have a source - the tree. But the asura (or the spacegoat-gnomes as I have come to call them)... I just can't do it for.

See, the asura are these little, giggly, foolish midgets who're apparently capable of pulling robot armies and holographic screens out of nowhere. Their city doesn't look like a factory, it looks like a spaceship. But where are the production lines? How did they manage all this? "A wizard did it" is terrible, terrible writing, but that seems to be what ArenaNet are giving us for everything that the asura do. With my favourite fantasy works (like the Worldspring, Discworld, and so on), there's a well written reason for being for everything. Everything has a source.

Fantasy is great, I love magic, but it all has a source. That's the nature of things, there's a balance to it. Even in the webcomics I read, the magicians have a source and limitations - but the asura? The asura are gods. So why haven't they just wiped out the reest of the world, with their ability to make things pop into existence? Why haven't they pulled Elder Dragon killing devices out of their magical midget utility belts? I'm supposed to believe that they have limitions, and yet they clearly have none.

They sacrafise their height to achieve great things. There is the source xD

But didn't they said asura are technological genius? So they can built much advanced machinary? Thus look down on other races because they aqre much smarter?

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Eir_S

Good points, Chaser.  I think the Asura were brought into the playable fold because of the potential to please fans of "giddy midgets" or whatever you called them (ie: gnome players).  Since the Asurans are the last possible race I'd probably choose for a character in GW2, it doesn't bother me greatly, but everything else seems so well put together, that your revelation that "a wizard did it" does sound a little lazy.  The thing is, I have learned at least twice now that doubting ANet has been fruitless since they change things all the time and have improved the game by leaps and bounds since last Fall, so I'll be watching to see if they go back to the drawing board on the Asura as well.  I want a believable fantasy world as much as you do.

Nah, they have Jeff Grubb writing the lore, he love this stuff. He did a lot of work on Dragonlance and is half of the duo that originally put together Forgotten realms (Ed Greenwood is the other part).

Personally wont I play Asura, it is the only race I am sure I wont play but it doesn't really bother that they are in the game. The more playable races the better, I hope they add more in expansions.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

I'm with Chaser on this one. The Asura are a turn off to me too. Normally I just look the other way and accept it as the "cute" mode of the game. I wish they would evil them up a bit. Right now the wiffy and me are arguing over the race selections and , you guessed it, she want's the cuddly thing while I want my Norn shapeshifter. I told her, I won't sidekick her if she does it :)

hey that's a thought, you think this would fly in a court on grounds for divorce? J/K (in case she reads this)