Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can Guild Wars 2 be improved?

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by RizelStar

*snip*

Master don't get so worked up by ignorance bro,

Just let time tell it, people have choices, hopefully he'll choose to play it and see, he's about to counter the post with something that most likely is what he wants to believe,  not facts and it's only opinions you know. 

A lot of people hate it when new mmos get very hyped up, and will try to be the outlaws of the hype because everyone is used to hyped games failing so they beleive any hyped up game mainy one that has it's own goal,to fail, an it's more so it's more so a "wait and see attitude." something everyone should have, I'm only confident that for once they changed something only because when I went and tried it out my naysaying attitude bit me in the ass ha ha, boy was I ever wrong about GW 2 but eh to each their own I mean  I'm sure this game will have a good launch and it managed to get the responsive combat and abilities correct, that's the only thing I don't mind when people try to copy WoW, it has the most smoothest combat ever and I was happy as hell when I found an MMO to do that without having auto attack. Only a few had smoothnest, Rift did mainy with mounts makes PVP much more enjoyable, AoC did as well.

But yea I'm just going to leave it at that yall enjoy yall selves.

Yeah I know (-_-), but it can be difficult to not get pumped for a game that won't have the issues that piss you off, the other games in the genre have. And to not get worked from people debasing those very features that you re excited for. Well if he was trolling I wouldn't care so much, but my troll-o-meter picked up nothing and I find it so tempting to argue against blissful ignorance. image

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Master10K

*snip*

Master don't get so worked up by ignorance bro,

Just let time tell it, people have choices, hopefully he'll choose to play it and see, he's about to counter the post with something that most likely is what he wants to believe,  not facts and it's only opinions you know. 

A lot of people hate it when new mmos get very hyped up, and will try to be the outlaws of the hype because everyone is used to hyped games failing so they beleive any hyped up game mainy one that has it's own goal,to fail, an it's more so it's more so a "wait and see attitude." something everyone should have, I'm only confident that for once they changed something only because when I went and tried it out my naysaying attitude bit me in the ass ha ha, boy was I ever wrong about GW 2 but eh to each their own I mean  I'm sure this game will have a good launch and it managed to get the responsive combat and abilities correct, that's the only thing I don't mind when people try to copy WoW, it has the most smoothest combat ever and I was happy as hell when I found an MMO to do that without having auto attack. Only a few had smoothnest, Rift did mainy with mounts makes PVP much more enjoyable, AoC did as well.

But yea I'm just going to leave it at that yall enjoy yall selves.

Yeah I know (-_-), but it can be difficult to get pumped for a game that won't have the issues that piss you off, the other games in the genre have. And to not get worked from people debasing those very features that you re excited for. Well if he was trolling I wouldn't care so much, but my troll-o-meter picked up nothing and I find it so tempting to argue against willful ignorance. image

Again.. .I'm not trolling.. I really did want more info about the game. If you are a representative for the type of folks playing... I think I've made the right decision. 

I'm not arrogant enough to say that the way I like to play is the best. I only say that I prefer them and give an opinion. You say for a fact that the system I enjoy is "flawed and lazy".  {mod edit}

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Trebuchet shots need to not be considered projectiles towards other skill conditions.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Trebuchet shots need to not be considered projectiles towards other skill conditions.

Ahh interesting, what do you mean bro?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

Tough one without playing it first, as it looks pretty solid so far.

But you can't go wrong with doubling the number of event chains and make them cross zone boundaries, so that stuff that happens in one zone influences events in another. I believe this is not currently in the game. The more of this, the more the world can change and surprise you.

Oh and lots and lots of fluff please. Books you can read, meat you can hunt, cook and eat, feathers you can pluck from a live hen to make a pillow you can sleep on.. ok the last one isn't that important, but you get the idea i think? :P

Underwear. Strippable. Please. The models look hot.(yes I have no life :P). Thanks :D

A shrubberry in the starter zone. A nice one. One that is not to big. Cascading down three levels, with a path down the middle. Now go cut the biggest tree in your local forest with a herring. Ni!

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

Originally posted by Praetalus

*snip*

Yeah I know (-_-), but it can be difficult to get pumped for a game that won't have the issues that piss you off, the other games in the genre have. And to not get worked from people debasing those very features that you re excited for. Well if he was trolling I wouldn't care so much, but my troll-o-meter picked up nothing and I find it so tempting to argue against willful ignorance. image

Again.. .I'm not trolling.. I really did want more info about the game. If you are a representative for the type of folks playing... I think I've made the right decision. 

I'm not arrogant enough to say that the way I like to play is the best. I only say that I prefer them and give an opinion. You say for a fact that the system I enjoy is "lazy and Flawed". Who's the troll?  And you speak of ignorance...

I never said you were trolling, I never said you were arrogant and I'm a representation of a product of the holy trinity design. I have become the kind of person who would laugh at a person's terrible DPS and let DPS'er die if they ninja-pulled, before I taunt the mob. I was never like that back when I was playing Modern Warfare 2 and that's saying something image

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

I agree we shouldn't get worked up.

Some people like different things.  Me, I can't stand sandboxes.  I actually have an adverse physical reaction to Minecraft.  But hey, if there's people out there that want that, more power to them.  I hope Archeage scratches that itch in the MMO genre.  I wouldn't go to their forum and say the game is crap because it's not what I want.

I think the same holds true for Praetalus and the holy trinity.  It's what he wants in a game.  Honestly, I'm not sure he "gets" GW2 yet.  He's starting to understand it but isn't quite all the way there I don't think.  In any case, people yelling at one another isn't going to help him understand it any better, both sides are just going to dig in. 

Maybe he's not going to fully get it.  Maybe it's not what he wants.  That's ok.  All we can do is hope he'll give a free trial/open beta a chance and decide for himself.

Honestly, considering how often my posts get ignored and I find myself repeating the same things to the same people once a month, I gotta say I appreciate someone who might have some misinformation about the game but who is also willing to listen.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

All I want to know is why we're asking how a game that hasn't even been released.....can be improved?  Cart before the horse much, people?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by cali59

Some people like different things.  Me, I can't stand sandboxes.  I actually have an adverse physical reaction to Minecraft.  But hey, if there's people out there that want that, more power to them.  I hope Archeage scratches that itch in the MMO genre.  I wouldn't go to their forum and say the game is crap because it's not what I want.

I think the same holds true for Praetalus and the holy trinity.  It's what he wants in a game.  Honestly, I'm not sure he "gets" GW2 yet.  He's starting to understand it but isn't quite all the way there I don't think.  In any case, people yelling at one another isn't going to help him understand it any better, both sides are just going to dig in. 

Maybe he's not going to fully get it.  Maybe it's not what he wants.  That's ok.  All we can do is hope he'll give a free trial/open beta a chance and decide for himself.

Honestly, considering how often my posts get ignored and I find myself repeating the same things to the same people once a month, I gotta say I appreciate someone who might have some misinformation about the game but who is also willing to listen.

Thank you Cali, I really do appreciate your insight. As I said, I have no allegiance to any of these games, so I'm sure I'll try it at some point. I've only ever seen you trying to help people understand and not belittling them or their prefered playstyle. So for that I thank you. 

Originally posted by just1opinion

All I want to know is why we're asking how a game that hasn't even been released.....can be improved?  Cart before the horse much, people?

Oh yeah. I forgot this thread was about something other than the holy trinity. Shame that something is entirely pointless.

Originally posted by cali59

I mean it's funny how the trinity isn't 100% gone it's just for example 5 warriors can complete a dungeon without saying "LFG with Healer." Because one could role a healer and once bored of that role switch to a tank type playe but it's only if they choose to imagine it that way. 

One could restrict his/herself to any role if they desire but for those tired of not having the ability to switch when he feels like it, is a very refreshing add.

PB&J Sandwich lol.

Or I be the extra jelly(strict healer,tank, or support?) to the PB&J Sandwich.

Though that's how I see it, let me know if I'm wrong I'll admit it which is hard to do for many on a forum :/.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

*snip*

I mean it's funny how the trinity isn't 100% gone it's just for example 5 warriors can complete a dungeon without saying "LFG with Healer." Because one could role a healer and once bored of that role switch to a tank type playe but it's only if they choose to imagine it that way. 

One could restrict his/herself to any role if they desire but for those tired of not having the ability to switch when he feels like it, is a very refreshing add.

PB&J Sandwich lol.

Though that's how I see it, let me know if I'm wrong I'll admit it which is hard to do for many on a forum :/.

And yet again we have someone bringing up the exact same thing I spent the last 3 or so pages aguring about. Cali... I'm leaving this one to you, because I may yell and end up getting "worked up". lol

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Ahh interesting, what do you mean bro?

Zealot's defense with protectors form slotted, legit windmill troll, especially if you're red.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

ANet just took a different approach to combat, in that you don't have aggro tables that allow unrealistic mob behavior (traditional tank), you can't spam heals (traditional healer), and damage often relies on constant movement and not just stepping out of the fire when a boss goes through a certain mechanic (traditional dps).

So yes, the holy trinity is gone in GW2, but a new system has taken its place.  The old system works for some people, it worked for me, it's just that I realized after a while that it wasn't very dynamic nor challenging and I craved something more fluid.  GW2 promises that.  So unlike my suggestion of mounts that would only superficially change the game, I don't think GW2 can be "improved" by going backwards.

Originally posted by Praetalus

Originally posted by Eir_S

If anyone has a "mean tone", it's probably because you obviously don't know enough about GW2 to judge it by your own posts, and they're tired of the misconceptions.  Do you actually see the strategy in WoW videos, reflecting the "skill" of the tank or healer?  No, unless you're playing, all you see is skill spam.  I played WoW for 5 years, I know that videos have little bearing on actual gameplay, and GW2 is no different.  To say that you can't defend your fellow players is just ignorant, and likely why anyone would view your premature judgments as annoying.  As a Guardian or earth attunement elementalist, for example, you simply have to work to get in between the attacking mob and whoever has drawn its attention.  One thing you cannot do, is hit a "TAUNT" skill and have it inexplicably be drawn back to you as if you insulted its mother.  The game requires more strategy, not less, since the skills don't do half of your work for you.

Healing is a different story.  If you want to play whack a mole with different colored bars, no, GW2 is not for you.

Wow, things were going well til this post.  I didn't say you couldn't defend other players. Just said you couldn't be a dedicated tank. Which as far as I've seen, is true. You can take damage from others in other games without being a tank and just drawing aggro.. can't ya? And yes, I do see the skill in videos with good healers and tanks. Shame you can't. 

Now, accordding to you. There is no skill to playing a dedicated healer. Got it. Thanks for the lesson. So Guild Wars 2 is the greatest game and all the rest are.... let me make sure I get this correct... boring battles due to a trinity with wack a mole healers and tanks who's skills do their job for them.  Well. I suppose all the other games can just close their doors. We're all wrong. We should be playing this!

You are the essense of what I have seen in the other game forums taking about this game and the reason a lot of the people aren't liking Guild Wars 2 fans. Instead of just thinking that what you like is just the best out there and everyone else is wrong... try taking my stance... which is... Although Guild Wars 2 may be a great game and I wish it all the success in the world... it's just not the game for me. So I'll move on. I'm not saying it will be bad, just not for me. 

I think you should just let Cali be the spokesperson. Some of you give the game a bad arrogant name. Just because you like the mechanics doesn't mean everyone will. We're all entiled to our opinions.

Did you read something I read differently than I posted it?  I told you why people were responding to you in a certain way, nothing more.  Your opinion is fine, though you yourself cast doubt on it by calling it potentially worthless.  Did I lie to you somewhere?  I said your comment that you can't protect other players was ignorant.  Isn't it?  Your quote was:

"I like to keep the group safe and take the damage. Can't do that in GW2."

That, my friend, is not an educated statement, thus ignorant.  I wasn't insulting you, just pointing out a fact, since your assertion is absolutely wrong.

Frankly, your post to me was rude... don't try and make me the bad guy or tell me who should be a spokesperson because of the way someone deals with your posts or tries to explain things to you, it's condescending at best, borderline trolling at worst, though now that I look back at the pages before my reply, I'm wondering...

Back on topic, since you're trying to jerk things off-course... I've been both a dedicated tank and dedicated healer, and the WoW mechanics of both are not indicative of what a dedicated class can be, and no, dedicated healing does not take much skill, it mostly centers around knowing what spells will eat up your mana the quickest.  A quick look at any of the thousands of WoW guides online, and you're already equipped to know a rotation that will keep almost anyone alive.  That's not skill.  I never once stopped to think to myself in WoW, "I'm healing this dungeon with my Healbot, DAMN I'm good".  It's mostly mathematical equations that someone else did for me, including the game devs.  You're trying to give a simple system far too much credit, and if you didn't want to argue about it or were worried someone wouldn't treat your misconceptions with kid gloves, maybe you're in the wrong forum.  Forums are about debate, it's nothing personal that people disagree with you. I actually enjoyed reading your differing views until you got sanctimonious on me.

*snip*

PB&J Sandwich lol.

And yet again we have someone bringing up the exact same thing I spent the last 3 or so pages aguring about. Cali... I'm leaving this one to you, because I may yell and end up getting "worked up". lol

Wait you agree with blue statement or disagree lol?

@moose: Umm zealots? I'm still a bit slow lol.

*snip*

PB&J Sandwich lol.

I obviously disagree. Please provide me with evidence that a Warrior can be either a healer or a tank, because I just don't see it. Click on my sig, to get a jist of what I'm talking about.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

I don't think we know enough yet to be able to say how the game can be improved.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by kzaske

I don't think we know enough yet to be able to say how the game can be improved.

wow someone has some sanity in these forums.  You cant answer this question until the game launches.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

*snip*

PB&J Sandwich lol.

I obviously disagree. Please provide me with evidence that a Warrior can be either a healer or a tank, because I just don't see it. Click on my sig, to get a jist of what I'm talking about.

Lol maybe I worded it wrong, but what I meant was if a person wanted to imagine himself a healer he could...I meant imagine lol, so I'm saying through imagination if someone wanted to be healer they could lol not that you could actually do so but though imagination lol. 

I thought imagining something meant it's through your mind and not really there maybe I got backwards.

I know you can take care of yourself and heal and fight at the same time? There for demolishing those roles?

I read about everything on the Guild Wars 2 site except for the latest blog since it has to do with  but mainly the gameplay and your signature, it's what drew me into curiousity and I then beleive that whole blog after experiencing it at PAX :/.

Guess I'm wording everything wrong lol.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Technically, it could be improved by adding a lot more servers and changing how the engine processes the zones, thus making it a seamless world.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

+ everything you carry in your bag will have some weight - overweight means you're slowed down

+ jumping will cost you stamina so no more endless jumping

+ better UI seriously the shown UI is horrible and filled with useless information everywhere

+ seamless world - no brainer

+ let women look like women and not memales

+ skill based character system instead of levels since their goal is everyone can do everything levels route isn't the right one

+ add some downtimes

+ allow a second, third hotbar

+ boost up the graphic quality

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

Originally posted by DerWotan

+ everything you carry in your bag will have some weight - overweight means you're slowed down

+ better UI seriously the shown UI is horrible and filled with useless information everywhere

+ skill based character system instead of levels since their goal is everyone can do everything levels route isn't the right one

+ add some downtimes

Terrible list.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Originally posted by IPolygon

Technically, it could be improved by adding a lot more servers and changing how the engine processes the zones, thus making it a seamless world.

But that way we will have to say bye bye to WvWvW :(

I don't think iPolygon is talking about having shards or districts.

GW2 is not a totally seamless world.  To the best of our knowledge there will be portaled zones.  These will definitely happen when fast traveling.  Every indication is that they will also happen when going into a city.  The best info I've heard is that the open world is divided into 4 regions (of several zones) and that there are portaled zones between them.  It's possible (though perhaps or perhaps not accurate) to consider them as WoW's continents.  It's a seamless world except when you cross from one to another.  Whether that's true or not, we might have to wait and see.

I've heard (though my knowledge on this subject is limited), that dividing it into portaled zones improves performance.  It might be that because of the way dynamic events can change what is going on in the zone, it's harder to preload that seamlessly. 

I've also heard that portaled zoning allows for more variety.  For instance, if you're preloading, you'll have times where the current environment's and the new environment's objects need to be in memory at the same time.  If you have repetitive environments, this might be no problem.  Portaled zoning would allow for you to have a rich and diverse woodland and then zone into a rich and diverse desert.

But as I said, my knowledge on the subject is limited, so if anyone has any insight, please share.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by DerWotan

Goes against what ArenaNet is trying to acheive with their MMO.

They said they would consider it a while ago if bunny hopping appeared to be a problem.

The UI is actually very nice, once you actually use it. It's full of all the info you actually will need. The dynamic events going on in the area, a map, your skill bar, health, and dodge roll bar. I'll admit, when I first looked at the game I hated the UI. It eventually grew on me.  After playing the game, I realized just how nice their UI actually was.

Agreed, as long as it doesn't affect performance. If it does affect performance, than keep it nonseamless.

Levels were put in there for those who want levels. They've stated their reasoning on it already.

+ add some downtimes

What? Also, assuming I'm following what you are thinking, that goes against what ArenaNet is trying to acheive. They want people to be able to get on, have fun, accomplish something, and then get off. They don't want to force people to play 50 hours a week just to get something done.

Weren't you just complaining about the UI earlier? Also, their's a reason you can only have ten skill at a time (with 5 of them predetermined). It makes you actually think about our skill set. You can't just load every skill on your bar and then off you go. Also how often do you actually use every skill you have available, and actually put them on every bar. If you do, you're most likely doing it wrong.

Matter of personal preference. Also, they want the game to be available on mid-range computers from around 2009. So can't go too high.

Also cali59, yes the world is not seamless. If I remember right, I can't provide a source, ArenaNet stated they would go with whatever method produces the best results. So I assume, since they went with the nonseamless design, it proved to provide the best results in terms of performance.

I don't know anything about portal zoning allowing for more variety. As far as I know, it's just a method for controlling lag and deciding how the client will receive/load the data for the next zone. I can imagine portals would provide the best results, as it may be a strain on the client trying to download the current state of the next zone in the background, and may produce quite a bit of lag for the user. I can't verify any of this, but that's just my best guess.