Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can Guild Wars 2 be improved?

Comments

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

What could be improved? The name. I'm tired of seeing some of these GW1 players cry about how it's different from GW1.

"Oh, no, the skills are too restrictive!"
    "Waaaah, it's too fast-paced!"
    "Why are hexes and interrupts gone???"
    "The combat is too flashy!"
    "Why did they get rid of energy?"
    "How come can't I make broken builds anymore?"
    "They're dumbing it down!"
    "How can I destroy newbs if they make the game easy for them to understand?"
    "They should make it less accessible so that only elite players like myself can do well and will dominate all!"

This is what it starts to sound like. It's a different game. Deal with it. GW1 isn't going anywhere.

I guess it's too late to change the name at this point, but seriously, keeping the GW name was a terrible decision. (It should still be a sequel, though. The lore is good.)

Oh yeah, and two-handed axes.

EDIT: The voice acting, too. It's kind of bad right now. Hopefully what we saw was also a placeholder.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

The only thing they could do to improve this game, so far (as this may change when I actually get to play) is to remove voice acting from the game. I don't know why this feature has been making the rounds through games these days, it's not just an Anet thing I know, but it's annoying as hell. English voice acting is never good, it's only adequate at best, terrible at worst. Further, I don't want to sit and wait for someone to drawl on about something I could read within seconds before getting back to killing shit. Hopefully, they have subtitles and a skipping mechanic along with those dialogue scenes, otherwise I can see myself sighing in frustration everytime I have to talk to someone just like I did in SWTOR.

The ONLY place I ever want to see voice acting is ambiant dialogue, and during battle (grunts, skill calls, etc., for flavor). Otherwise, stfu please. 

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

The only thing they could do to improve this game, so far (as this may change when I actually get to play) is to remove voice acting from the game. I don't know why this feature has been making the rounds through games these days, it's not just an Anet thing I know, but it's annoying as hell. English voice acting is never good, it's only adequate at best, terrible at worst. Further, I don't want to sit and wait for someone to drawl on about something I could read within seconds before getting back to killing shit. Hopefully, they have subtitles and a skipping mechanic along with those dialogue scenes, otherwise I can see myself sighing in frustration everytime I have to talk to someone just like I did in SWTOR.

The ONLY place I ever want to see voice acting is ambiant dialogue, and during battle (grunts, skill calls, etc., for flavor). Otherwise, stfu please. 

I love voiceacting and cutscenes, when they are done well. Only having to mindlessly kill shit does a boring MMO make. Combat should only be a small part of what an MMO is.

On topic, the only thing Anet could do to improve the game is to stop F-ing with it and just release the damn thing! :)

Joined - July 2004

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

making sure it is optimised for surface optimisation,adaptative,mlaa.would be a huge start!

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by MMOExposed

In your opinion from all the previews, how can Guild Wars 2 be improved?

From what Ive played at PAX and all the videos ive seen the 2 things I want to see is some sort of Alternate Advancement system and Player Housing.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by remyburke

I love voiceacting and cutscenes, when they are done well. Only having to mindlessly kill shit does a boring MMO make. Combat should only be a small part of what an MMO is.

On topic, the only thing Anet could do to improve the game is to stop F-ing with it and just release the damn thing! :)

I don't agree. I signed up to play a game, not have a book read to me. The story should be seamlessly integrated into the game, I should not have to stop and watch a cut scene where people talk to me every few minutes about this, that and the other thing. It ruins the flow of combat and interactivity, which a game is meant to be. Otherwise, what you have isn't a game, it's a book.

Edit @ Person above - My understanding is they plan to evolve the current player instance as the game goes so it's more and more like a customizable home, except instead of just a player house, you have the better part of a town that's your own. I'll have to go looking for the interview where I read that, but I remember it cuz I found that to be pretty cool.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Yes, there is a Skip button and Subtitles during the cinematic conversations, so you'll be able to breeze through them at your own discretion. Also the only interactive conversations are handled via text, not voice over.

Edit @ Person above - My understanding is they plan to evolve the current player instance as the game goes so it's more and more like a customizable home, except instead of just a player house, you have the better part of a town that's your own. I'll have to go looking for the interview where I read that, but I remember it cuz I found that to be pretty cool.

Yeah, that was in an interview when some asked a question about Guildhalls and ArenaNet answered by saying there will be no extensive Player Housing or Guildhalls on release but they will add very extensive forms of these important features post release (most likely in the 1st expansion). So hopefully Player Housing will have a similar level of customization as The Sims.

Originally posted by Master10K

Yeah, that was in an interview when some asked a question about Guildhalls and ArenaNet answered by saying there will be no extensive Player Housing or Guildhalls on release but they will add very extensive forms of these important features post release (most likely in the 1st expansion). So hopefully Player Housing will have a similar level of customization as The Sims.

I knew I heard that somewhere. I don't know if they'd have it be at the level of the Sims (I'd love if it it were, but that seems asking for a lot) but the more customization options the better. Since everyone will end up with that instance it would be nice to be able to make your own reflect something about you.

Also, yay to skippable cut scenes ~

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

making pvp open world and not just instanced. I'm pretty sure they'd have to charge a subscription fee though if they did that.

Do you actually know anything about gw2? Do you know the differance between an instance and a zone,its actually getting pathetic to keep having to explain to people like you that an instance is not the same as a zone ffs.GW2 has open world PvP,it's called WvWvW and it happens in the myst which is an open persistant zone that anyone at any level can enter.They also have structual pvp which happens in instances and not the open world.You can find this information anywhere on the net and the devs descibe WvWvW as open world pvp which it is. Repeat after me 'a zone is not an instance' easy isnt it. As for the OP,well i have played the game twice in the last two years at GamesCom and this year the game had improved a bit but until we get into beta its a dumb question.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I don't agree. I signed up to play a game, not have a book read to me. The story should be seamlessly integrated into the game, I should not have to stop and watch a cut scene where people talk to me every few minutes about this, that and the other thing. It ruins the flow of combat and interactivity, which a game is meant to be. Otherwise, what you have isn't a game, it's a book.

So you want them to change this for you?  There are more people out there supporting GW2 that want change than ones that don't, that's why the game is shaping up the way it is.

To be fair, I think all games should have the option to make things less VO-centric.  SWTOR's style killed the idea for me by going full-on VO, that's not the solution, it's like they're playing the game for me, and any choice I make has already been pre-planned and voiced just waiting for someone to click it.  It's an immersion killer IMO, but I don't think they should change it just because I think it's a lame idea.  But you said yourself, "I signed up".  It's your choice to play the game that's released, and if you don't like it, you're free to play something else.  I just don't know what AAA game these days has no voice acting at all, so regardless of my hopes that you find a middle-ground, it doesn't look like it'll be happening.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

making pvp open world and not just instanced. I'm pretty sure they'd have to charge a subscription fee though if they did that.

Do you actually know anything about gw2? Do you know the differance between an instance and a zone,its actually getting pathetic to keep having to explain to people like you that an instance is not the same as a zone ffs.GW2 has open world PvP,it's called WvWvW and it happens in the myst which is an open persistant zone that anyone at any level can enter.They also have structual pvp which happens in instances and not the open world.You can find this information anywhere on the net and the devs descibe WvWvW as open world pvp which it is. Repeat after me 'a zone is not an instance' easy isnt it. As for the OP,well i have played the game twice in the last two years at GamesCom and this year the game had improved a bit but until we get into beta its a dumb question.

Personally, I think the assertion that they'd "have to charge a subscription fee if they did that" was the more questionable statement.  Yes, it's frustrating that people miss the potential awesomeness that WvWvW will provide, but to think that open world PvP would alter the payment plan ANet was going for is silly.  Maybe I'm missing something here, but does that make any sense whatsoever?  Maybe they didn't go with open world PvP because there are no factions so serverside PvP is impossible, hence WvWvW (server battles), and because they don't want to encourage petty ganking, but instead solidarity on individual servers.

MAAAAYBE.....?

I wish people would just appreciate the change and not whine about it.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I'd like to see the crafting system get some love. But I'm just nit picking really. It'll probably be fine for the majority of players.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Some of you need to relax.  It was just a question on how to improve GW2.

One does not have to play the game first, in order to to see that some changes might be needed.

Just look at the user interface by viewing videos and screenshots.  Chat, Text Size, Fonts, etc.  Skill and Portrait menus.  Target Glows, and Combat Damage Numbers, could be toned down.  Hotbars could be changed too.  One could try to visualize some changes that might be needed.

Of course, some of you will disagree, and others will agree, but try to calm down with less emotion.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by observer

Some of you need to relax.  It was just a question on how to improve GW2.

One does not have to play the game first, in order to to see that some changes might be needed.

Just look at the user interface by viewing videos and screenshots.  Chat, Text Size, Fonts, etc.  Skill and Portrait menus.  Target Glows, and Combat Damage Numbers, could be toned down.  Hotbars could be changed too.  One could try to visualize some changes that might be needed.

Of course, some of you will disagree, and others will agree, but try to calm down with less emotion.

All of these issues can be changed with player created Mods if ANet decided to allow them.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

How can you improve something you do not have played ?

You can only see youtube stuff without touching it yourself.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

In the open world, voice is seamlessly integrated into the game.  About the only voice in dynamic events will be someone yelling that something is happening.  You don't need to talk to anyone, you don't even need to hear that guy, you could just see it going on and jump in.

The personal story will have cutscenes and voice, but it's a smaller part of the game.  It's entirely optional too so if it really bugs you then you can just skip it entirely.  Because it's separate and solo, you can treat it like it's something you can do only when you're in the mood for it.  You might find that you welcome a bit of story for variety when it's only one scene per day.

The other area is in the dungeon story mode.  In GW1, it got to where people insisted people skip the cutscenes of the missions.  In GW2, they wanted to be able to keep the big cinematics, but not put people in conflict about whether to skip them or not.  So the first time you do a dungeon, it's in story mode.  After that, you can do any of the three harder explorable mode paths.  It might not be a perfect system for you if you're adamant about not seeing cutscenes, but its impact on you is minimized.  If you know you're going to be doing a story mode dungeon, plan on just getting up and making a sandwich or something while it plays, then never have to watch it again until your next alt.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by cinos

Only thing I can't think of right now is that I hope they implement turning animations for the mobs.

I find it quite jarring when you attack a mob from behind and it instantly faces you. It's kinda freaky. :p

Yea now that you mention that I hope they fix that, you can see it well in the mesmer video with the Giant trying to flee once he's crippled and then insta turns around before he dies.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• BrotherVaatiBrotherVaati Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by RizelStar

Originally posted by cinos

Only thing I can't think of right now is that I hope they implement turning animations for the mobs.

I find it quite jarring when you attack a mob from behind and it instantly faces you. It's kinda freaky. :p

Yea now that you mention that I hope they fix that, you can see it well in the mesmer video with the Giant trying to flee once he's crippled and then insta turns around before he dies.

Well you know how Anet likes their polish, animations included. I'm sure they've seen it and they're on it.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Can someone post some videos of this fast paced combat? I've watched a bunch of videos on youtube and it doesn't look a lot different that things I've seen before. If you do post a video, find some from something like, Age of Conan WoW or Aion for example, and show me where it's so much faster, cause I'm not seeing it. 

Also, as to the original poster, I really don't like the non use of the trinity. A lot of folks may and to each their own, but I like having a role. I like being a healer, I like tanking, I don't like DPS. Just saying, not eveyone's excited about that one. I also need a game with open world pvp. I've heard this will absolutely not have it. I don't want instanced guild battles. 

As highly praised as this game is, especially by a lot of people who have not played it is ridiculous. I really can't wait til it comes out so I can start seeing the "this game sucks" post..lol. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I'm a little concerned about player longevity at the cap, particularly for PVE players.

But hey, Amazon keeps reminding me every month or so they can't deliver the pre-order until they actually have a game to release.  So I'm not so concerned that I can't wait and see :)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Praetalus

Can someone post some videos of this fast paced combat? I've watched a bunch of videos on youtube and it doesn't look a lot different that things I've seen before. If you do post a video, find some from something like, Age of Conan WoW or Aion for example, and show me where it's so much faster, cause I'm not seeing it. 

Also, as to the original poster, I really don't like the non use of the trinity. A lot of folks may and to each their own, but I like having a role. I like being a healer, I like tanking, I don't like DPS. Just saying, not eveyone's excited about that one. I also need a game with open world pvp. I've heard this will absolutely not have it. I don't want instanced guild battles. 

As highly praised as this game is, especially by a lot of people who have not played it is ridiculous. I really can't wait til it comes out so I can start seeing the "this game sucks" post..lol. 

Personally I think there is one video that really opitomises the fast-pased, visceral neature of the game's combat and that is this moment in this video.  It doesn't matter if the quality is atrocious, because GW2's combat is very easy to understand (from a spectator's standpoint) that I don't have difficulty understand what the hell is going on. The problem I have with every other MMO. I've watched WoW, Eve Online and Rift PvP and I can never really fully understand what is occuring in front of me. So Guild Wars 2's combat does not excel for being fast-paced, it excels for being intuitive and easy to understand yet difficult to master.

Not going to talk about the trinity thing but regarding Open World PvP. If you want massive meaningful battles, in huge open world evironment, then Guild Wars 2's WvWvW may satisfy you. But if you just wanna roam around ganking people who are trying to quest, then look for the many other MMOs that offer that kind of play. I really liked this discussion, about the game's WvWvW feature, between the fans and the devs and I think it's worth the read.

• BrotherVaatiBrotherVaati Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Praetalus

Master 10k did a great job of showing you, it is pretty fast paced, I think the more impressive point about the combat is the movement and dynamics involved. Every caster isn't just standing around in the game, they have to move and play. And you don't quite have the full grasp of GW2's lack of trinity system. what it means is the player can choose which roll to fill, not that he is all of them simultaneously. Depending on your weapon set, your utility skills, heal, and elite, the game offers you the chance to play however you like, either support, damage, or control. If you aren't happy about the non trinity, then you just don't know enough to know its just a more flexible version of the trinity so you aren't lftank or lfhealer wasting your time. Thats really the difference here.

And this isn't sandbox bro, if you want that go find a game that advertises it.

Concerning your last point, why would you want to see a game fail? bad for the industry, further roots us in the lack of innovation this past decade has seen. By the by, GW2 won't suck, we've already seen what its capable of, it might not be for everyone and therefor be unapealing to them, but I think just the sheer granduer and quality of the game removes that possibility. That could be my bias talking but, just saying, I don't think SWTOR is bad, jsut isn't my thing. (I appologize for bringing in irrelevant games but I wanted to nip the Fanboi comments in the bud)