Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 million subs reached

Comments

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Hah. 

+1, TOR has my sub.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by denshing

Originally posted by returnintor

Originally posted by jpnole

Originally posted by Uronksur

Nice, but a bit premature. The more telling statistic will be the number of subscriptions at the 1-month mark when people start to get billed.

By then it will be 2 million. This is a game changer and will revolutioninze the MMO genre.

Within two months, SWTOR's paids subscriptions will be less than 250,000.  A month after that, 150,000.

So in ONE month, SWTOR subscriptions will be lower than  AOC, WAR, and LOTRO, which are all mmorpg's quite older, that did not do nearly as well initially as SWTOR, and also suffered inevitable decline... You are telling us that SWTOR, within one month, will have less subs than these?

Care you show me your math, or at least show me the drugs you are taking.

Point made; Launch Territories do factor in.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I think its funny how people are saying Rift did this in the same length of time.  I dont think Rift reached one million until June or July, certainly not in the first day of presale conversions.   And their's was never simultaneous.

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by Lowcaian

They probably have a buffer with content that is already finished and held it back. The real problem is that it will not last. It will however give them some breathing room.

^

This

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Let me start off by saying I am typically a sandbox fan or an old-school themepark fan.

Just started playing it tonight (level 7 now). It does play alot like wow. And I wish they made every mob a silver or above because regular mobs are face-roll-ish. But regardless of that I like:

-The gear looks and progression. You actually feel cool-looking when getting upgrades without it looking cartoonish.

-The story and VO for quests. It is immersive (not as mind-blowing immersive as some people would lead you to think)

-Something different to play for awhile while I wait for Archeage or Salem or something else.

-The promise of later battlegrounds, Flying your ship, and trying out crafting.

I heard the mobs do get more difficult as you progress but because of the facerolling trash mobs at this point. I give it probably a B or B- as a first impression. Comparitively I gave Rift a C- or D+. Having the developers care about the leveling process in a themepark is good instead of having them focusing on getting to cap as fast as humanly possible.

• jairusjairus Member UncommonPosts: 175

and people thought just cuase WoW lost 2 million subs, they where are going to goto SWTOR.. lol. TOR being the wow killer and all.

its funny how WoW can lose double subs then TOR even has and still have x10 its sub number 

damn those fanboy review sites where predicting 3 milion subs to TOR. 

its pretty bad when you have name like SW and BW you cant get over 4 million subs in todays market.

just think WoW cata sold 3.3million copies in the FIRST 24 hours

• DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175

25% sub drop in 3-6 months !

for sure. TOR will be under 1 million in a 3-4 months. just look at all the available collector editions that are out there for SWTOR now.  alot of people canceled their pre-orders.

with a market so saturated with players, thanks to WoW, getting 1 million is an easy task.

with 1 million sales they didnt even get there money back for the game development and all the advertising they are pushing. they still have a long ways to go to break even.

• Originally posted by jairus

and people thought just cuase WoW lost 2 million subs, they where are going to goto SWTOR.. lol. TOR being the wow killer and all.

its funny how WoW can lose double subs then TOR even has and still have x10 its sub number 

damn those fanboy review sites where predicting 3 milion subs to TOR. 

its pretty bad when you have name like SW and BW you cant get over 4 million subs in todays market.

just think WoW cata sold 3.3million copies in the FIRST 24 hours

oh my god enough of this shit already; I mean, do you even know how many subs wow had at launch years ago.... I don't but I can tell you it wasnt one million pre-orders...

And as far as Cataclysm selling 3 million copies in asia and 300k in US in one day; I mean, shit, it's only been out for years and years with a rabid long tenured fan base to work off of...

Stop comparing numbers of subs on games that havent been out for more then a week or two, to games that have been out for years and years; the comparisons never work, sound trollish, are completely and utterly rediculous....

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

They would have a lot more if they were not charging £44.99 for an MMORPG to download. Even Call of Duty with its vast 'following' and its 6.4 million units sold in the first 24 hours did not stay at £44.99 for long. I know I sound tight but seriously there's no way I would pay that price for an MMO.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106

1 million and it's all downhill from now on...

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

In my country there is zero problems getting a retail copy. Several stores have them in stock, even the CE. Weren't we supposed to pre-order because it would be next to impossible to get a hand on a copy for several weeks after launch?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Gormok

Congrats to Bioware and team for hitting the one million mark, now the question is how many will we keep and how many more will come into the game. I won't pop the cork yet until after the free month, but so far the doom and gloomers and haters have been proven wrong with their predictions.

http://torwars.com/2011/12/23/ding-1-million-subscriptions-reached-for-swtor/

Very few of us so called "doom and gloomers" said that the game wont have high initial box sales. Actually many of us said it would have that, so did AoC, WAR, Rift etc, but all of them started plunging 3-6 months after release. And I will stick to my prediction.

However, there was lots of you "flower and sunshine" people who said the game would sell several millions but it seems that had not happened yet...

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

wish I could of asked them more questions such as did  1 million subscribe meaning they set up a payment plan and purchased 3 month or one plan already or is that 1million Sales.

Those are two different numbers.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Yamota

Congrats to Bioware and team for hitting the one million mark, now the question is how many will we keep and how many more will come into the game. I won't pop the cork yet until after the free month, but so far the doom and gloomers and haters have been proven wrong with their predictions.

Very few of us so called "doom and gloomers" said that the game wont have high initial box sales. Actually many of us said it would have that, so did AoC, WAR, Rift etc, but all of them started plunging 3-6 months after release. And I will stick to my prediction.

However, there was lots of you "flower and sunshine" people who said the game would sell several millions but it seems that had not happened yet...

Precisely, I have yet to see any negative poster claiming that the initial sales would be less than one million. 

Originally posted by minocin

They would have a lot more if they were not charging £44.99 for an MMORPG to download. Even Call of Duty with its vast 'following' and its 6.4 million units sold in the first 24 hours did not stay at £44.99 for long. I know I sound tight but seriously there's no way I would pay that price for an MMO.

every game would sell more if the didnt cost so damn much, not like a cant afford it, but your right on with that point. just look at louis CK experiment where he sold his latest acts for 5$.. he is raking it in. at 5$.

http://www.reelseo.com/louis-ck-online-video-experiment-2/

Originally posted by InFaVilla

Precisely, I have yet to see any negative poster claiming that the initial sales would be less than one million. 

yah. even i thought it would do better then 1 million becuase of the Starwars IP and BW name. the mmo market is so big now 1 million is meh. any polished AAA mmo released today will hit 1 million.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I'll go out on a limb and say 2million by the end of the first free month period.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Honestly, what happens in the next 3-6 months is far more important.  There's supposed to be a new flashpoint in January, some opdate on operations, and they've indicated that this process will be continual. 

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by jairus

yah. even i thought it would do better then 1 million becuase of the Starwars IP and BW name. the mmo market is so big now 1 million is meh. any polished AAA mmo released today will hit 1 million.

Any?  Really?  Can you point out the other polished AAA that opened with 1 million subscriptions?   Rift?  We don't know the exact numbers but we know it didn't reach a million sales well after launch, and never a million subs.  Aion opened with 400,000, a record at the time.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Means nothing, lets see after 3-6 months how it is still holding up. I highly doubt TOR will still have those 1 million subs when the Guild Wars 2 train comes though.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Gratz to them. Something is missing from the game for me when i played. i can't put my finger on it and it has bugged me ever since. oh well still good job BW.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Technacally they aren't subbed yet, since its still the included month, to me subbing doesn't count till the monthly fee gets paid, I suspect will prob be only 100-200k by then. The game lacks any real replay value, and like wow the endgame is worthless, due to no use for the raid gear anymore. I was gonna buy the game, but honestly,. I can play free to play titles with more intersting gameplay and they have no upfront costs. I was on one of the beta weekends and from what I read the game has not changed much really gameplay wise. Like I said though, there are f2p titles that are far better than swtor out there, so I'll probally stick to those for now, till there is a trial for swtor.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by NMStudio

Any?  Really?  Can you point out the other polished AAA that opened with 1 million subscriptions?   Rift?  We don't know the exact numbers but we know it didn't reach a million sales well after launch, and never a million subs.  Aion opened with 400,000, a record at the time.

rift is 8 months old and aion came out over almost 2 years ago.  any AAA release today will get 1million. there are some upcoming AAA mmorpgs with known IP lets see how they hold up and lets see how long SWToR has thier little record for mmo "new game" release, not for long.

i know its not online but skyrim sold over 3.5million in  2 days and has around 650million in sales now, but you cant compair the two becuase on is offline and one is online, right, but you can play TOR pretty much solo all they way to the end.

TOR should have sold ALOT more for just being starwars alone. its amazes me that they didnt.

they would have been better off with making  a singal player offline TOR game again or one with co-op play.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

rift is 8 months old and aion came out over almost 2 years ago.  any AAA release today will get 1million. there are some upcoming AAA mmorpgs with known IP coming up lets see how they hold up and lets see how long SWToR has thier little record for, not for long.

i know its not online but skyrim sold over 3.5million in  2 days and has around 650million in sales now, but you cant compair the two becuase on is offline and one is online, right, but you can play TOR pretty much solo all they way to the end.

TOR should have sold ALOT more for just being starwars alone. its amazes me that they didnt.

Not just that Skyrim is off line also because it was released on PC and console. So there is no comparison when it comes to sales figure. 

However, the real picture of SWTOR subs would be more clear after first couple o fmonths.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.