Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUST 514: Closed Beta Sign Ups Begin

Comments

• JTJT Member Posts: 401

Originally posted by assault3hro

My face lit up with excitement then I remembered it was a PS3 exclusive, hopefully they implement this properly with EVE! :)

Same here, until I remembered.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I would not own a PS3 if someone tried to give me one.

Why wouldn't they do closed beta with Eve players, who else are you going to start a beta with?  I would not want anyone, but Eve players in a closed Beta.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I would not own a PS3 if someone tried to give me one.

...ok?

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Well I was going to sign up, but I don't remember my Eve account, I think I deleted the email for it, oh well. I don't see anything wrong with wanting Eve people first, I mean I see nothing here saying those would be the last invites to closed beta, nor that these people would be testing on the PC or something crazy like that.

I wonder how long until they have this game ready for PS Vita, that is what specifically want the game for.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

I assume they would want the Eve players first just because the games are going to be influenced by eachother. If they made a game that was connected to Eve, but the Eve playerbase didn't like the way it worked...well they would be screwing over their loyal fanbase.

I personally am not a fan of Eve gameplay, but have always wished I could get into the game. I own a PS3 as well and look forward to having a chance to take part in the Eve universe in a FPS format.

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

I think you are all forgetting that this is two sided i.e. the PS3 side testing and the existing PC Eve side for testing of the Dust integration. There will be testing (gameplay) on the PC Eve side required so it DOES make sense to offer this to existing PC Subs of the game

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Why is this even on MMORPG.com? Dust is a shooter that isn't even on PC! Yeah it is going to be somehow mystically linked with EVE but still you can't play it as an MMORPG, it's a shooter and one that you need a PS3 to play no less. May as well put BF3 on the list of MMORPGs if we're going to get articles about Dust.

I know people are going to say "But it affects the perpetual world of EVE online" well so does trading and buying and selling on Ebay and gold selling sites. Also there is no evidence what affect this will have in the game you only have the word of some shady characters at CCP and we know how that's panned out in the past don't we?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Originally posted by Agricola1

Why is this even on MMORPG.com? Dust is a shooter that isn't even on PC! Yeah it is going to be somehow mystically linked with EVE but still you can't play it as an MMORPG, it's a shooter and one that you need a PS3 to play no less. May as well put BF3 on the list of MMORPGs if we're going to get articles about Dust.

I know people are going to say "But it affects the perpetual world of EVE online" well so does trading and buying and selling on Ebay and gold selling sites. Also there is no evidence what affect this will have in the game you only have the word of some shady characters at CCP and we know how that's panned out in the past don't we?

There are MMORPGs not on PC.

Also, this game is both massively multiplayer, and has RPG like progression, persistant characters and worlds to play on.

Not sure how it doesn't qualify really.

• DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175

CCP greed :)

Dust 514 is built with our money the players of EVE online and sudenly we loose the benefit of the extras the EVE universe will have to offer i can understand console only since most ppl have either xbox360 or ps3  im not however buying PS3 just to be able to play Dust 514 also if the universe is going to be linked to EVE online  i intend to do whatever is in my power to ruin the expirience for dust players !

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Dust should have been for PC, I think theres a lot of PC gamers that know about EVE but don't want to play it...  But console players won't know or care about EVE.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by DEXA88
    Dust 514 is built with our money the players of EVE online

No, it is not.

You had your money and you gave them to CCP. They are no longer yours.

Also, you can't lose what you never owned.

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

This may come as a shocker.. Former EVE subscriber who also plays PS3 regularly. You're right, because I played EVE I MUST have no interest in FPS games.  There will be PLENTY of EVE subsribers who ARE interested and have expierence with FPS.  I really don't understand, people will complain about anything.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

Originally posted by Ramones274
    This may come as a shocker.. Former EVE subscriber who also plays PS3 regularly. You're right, because I played EVE I MUST have no interest in FPS games.  There will be PLENTY of EVE subsribers who ARE interested and have expierence with FPS.  I really don't understand, people will complain about anything.

I can play this game too.

This may come as a shocker.. Former EVE subscriber who never owned a console. You're right, because I played EVE I MUST have no interest in FPS games.  There will be PLENTY of EVE subsribers who ARE NOT interested and have no experience with FPS.  I really don't understand, people will support about anything.

Truth is, if they actually opened the first beta stage to community that actually does have exhibit interest in console FPS games, they could could start building PR with potential, target player base and subsequently work towards 'hype' for the game.

Overall no big deal, I guess. It is just weird move...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Gdemami

Truth is, if they actually opened the first beta stage to community that actually does have exhibit interest in console FPS games

"if they actually opened the first beta stage to community that actually does have exhibit interest in console FPS games"

If the EVE players that don't play FPSs or, even worse, don't own a PS3 console system are signing up for this  (not sure what they'd do even if they were selected) - instead of EVE players that are console owners that are interested enough in FPS games to actually play a beta and give feedback on it - then there's worse issues to this whole plan than we thought. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

If the EVE players that don't play FPSs or, even worse, don't own a PS3 console system are signing up for this  (not sure what they'd do even if they were selected) - instead of EVE players that are console owners that are interested enough in FPS games to actually play a beta and give feedback on it - then there's worse issues to this whole plan than we thought.

I really like your replies for most of the time, but you repeatedly lack ground here.

In any group you pick, you will find some people owning PS3 and with interest in FPS. However, not all groups are same and it makes more sense to target one over another.

This was the point me and several people were making. Yet, you only repeat: "As long as there are some people within the group owning a PS3 and having an interest in FPS, it's ok."

I am not sure what caused this 'disconnection' but it is definitely there... Or am I misunderstanding you somehow?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If the EVE players that don't play FPSs or, even worse, don't own a PS3 console system are signing up for this  (not sure what they'd do even if they were selected) - instead of EVE players that are console owners that are interested enough in FPS games to actually play a beta and give feedback on it - then there's worse issues to this whole plan than we thought.

I really like your replies for most of the time, but you repeatedly lack ground here.

In any group you pick, you will find some people owning PS3 and with interest in FPS. However, not all groups are same and it makes more sense to target one over another.

This was the point me and several people were making. Yet, you only repeat: "As long as there are some people within the group owning a PS3 and having an interest in FPS, it's ok."

I am not sure what caused this 'disconnection' but it is definitely there... Or am I misunderstanding you somehow?

I think the disconnect is in the assumptions you and a few others make

• - that PC gamers who arent very  invested in gaming and FPSs would play a beta title on a console

• - that people who dont play console games would sign up "open to PC exclusive game players")

• - that this is the only group that has been invited or the first group that has been invited ("you first core beta group made up of mostly PC tab target MMO players for a FPS PS3 game")

• - that this is a single source of input on gameplay ("basically beta is going to be restricted to people who own a PC or Mac, are active subscribers AND own a PS3")

• - that there is a low percentage of EVE players who play FPSs ("nor EVE players represent any recognized group of FPS")

It seems that the areas you have issue with are areas where you made a large number of assumptions in order to reach your conclusion. As with any game in development, there are a lot more testing groups and phases than the ones that make it to the press and public.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Opening the first wave of beta registration to current EVE players only is the best move CCP could have made.

Why?

• It's a reward to the loyal EVE fanbase, and a good PR move.

• Because DUST is supposed to have a certain impact on "EVE in space", it's essential to get the current EVE players involved as early as possible, and to make sure that they have a "stake" in the DUST development process.

• It means that if you are currently an EVE subscriber, you have a good chance of getting a beta invite, because you are not competing for a beta spot with random players from the entire internet.

• It gives CCP an indication of how many of the current playerbase are seriously interested in DUST, without having to filter them out of a mass registration.

EVE is by far the most successful PVP-oriented subscription-based MMO in the western market. More than 2/3 of the EVE game world is FFA-PVP. Yet the assumption by many posters here seems to be that EVE players do not play any other PVP styles, such as FPS games. That's some serious reaching.

Besides, there's absolutely nothing stopping CCP from opening beta signup to all-comers if they don't get "enough" response from the current EVE players, so they are not "shooting themselves in the foot" in the least.

I don't doubt for a second that beta signups will be opened-up at a later date, to increase the marketing exposure.

It seems that the areas you have issue with are areas where you made a large number of assumptions in order to reach your conclusion. As with any game in development, there are a lot more testing groups and phases than the ones that make it to the press and public.

Erm, I give up. You just rephrased what you already said and I talked about in my post.

I personally feel like you push it even further and twist the quotes so you can argue a point people were actually not making...or you just miss the point so much.

Originally posted by LoktofeitIf you had data that showed that group also plays FPSs and likes the EVE IP, then that sounds like an excellent plan, GD!

So you say that CCP has the data which of their customers own PS3 and are interested in FPS console game?

If not, by your own means it is not particularly excellent plan...

• c4_Garudac4_Garuda Member Posts: 77

Yes, finish that hybrid or whatever it is that no one is gonna play so we can get our WoD.

"To be a rock and not to roll..."

• lightningjaclightningjac Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Since when are PC gamers most interested in PS3 platform games?  I agree with Gdemami.  I think they should have opened it up to Silver and Gold PS3 members.

theres no such thing as silver and gold membership PS3 network is free...this aint x-box live

• CraveModeCraveMode Member UncommonPosts: 31

Um, shows the System Req: Playstation 2 XBox    shouldn't that be PS3 not PS2?

Tactical Terror
    Facebook / Twitter
    No Mercy. No Remorse. Just Business.

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

Originally posted by lightningjac

Since when are PC gamers most interested in PS3 platform games?  I agree with Gdemami.  I think they should have opened it up to Silver and Gold PS3 members.

theres no such thing as silver and gold membership PS3 network is free...this aint x-box live

yea ...then again  xbox live never had an issue where it was down  for a month or so....

Would be funny is they started beta sign us for dust  only to have hte playstaion network  crash again.

It..Burns..

• idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174

Originally posted by entityx

Ah, CCP. The company that killed WoD.

Yes, I am trolling.

If you want to troll with real information try this instead: Ahh CCP, who's Eve Online enrollment has lagged inflation for 4 years and counting....

• JumperPrimeJumperPrime Member UncommonPosts: 7

Originally posted by guy232

Originally posted by lightningjac

yea ...then again  xbox live never had an issue where it was down  for a month or so....

Would be funny is they started beta sign us for dust  only to have hte playstaion network  crash again.

Technically, PSN did not crash. They shut it down as a security precaution due to hackers breaching the system and yanking out customer data. they didn't bring it back up until they were sure the hack would not be repeated. Personally, I'd rather the network be down for a while than for it to come right back up and have some hacker steal my account out from under me

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Originally posted by idgarad

Originally posted by entityx

Ah, CCP. The company that killed WoD.

Yes, I am trolling.

If you want to troll with real information try this instead: Ahh CCP, who's Eve Online enrollment has lagged inflation for 4 years and counting....

That may be "real" information, but without actual numbers, it's totally meaningless...

Lagged inflation in which country ?

Lagged inflation by how much ?

Is the inflation rate in any given country even relevant when measuring a game with an international playerbase ?

During that 4 year period, which MMO's grew faster than EVE (and retained most of that growth) ?

In fact, how many of the MMO's that launched in the last 4 years (barring those that launched in the last 3 months) can claim that they now have more subs than they did 4 years ago ?

I'll give you some other real information:

EVE's rate of growth may not have beaten that of the inflation rate, but it certainly has beaten the growth rate of any other sub-based MMO by a wide margin :D