Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End of Days

Comments

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by bloodbone

Tick Toc....... With SWTOR out now the ventilation machine keeping rifts withered heart pumping must be in overdrive.  I am curious is anyone playing rift anymore after.  Those bright lights you see are over stimulated neurons before system wide shutdown lol ;)  

So tiresome to see all these troll posts that can end in nothing contructive. Already been reported so that's good.

How about go play the game you like and don't worry about other games?

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by f1seb

Originally posted by kevjards

Originally posted by dreamer05

Hate to feed an obvious and curiously bitter troll, but Rift is doing fine.  To be quite honest I did notice lower numbers this week but with such a big launch arriving it will be a bit noticable until people realize that SWTOR isn't as much fun as Rift, which is really sad cause in itself because I had high hopes, but I digress.....

Anyway the population already seems to be back this weekend as compared to last weekend so maybe people tried it out and saw there wasn't anything special, only time will tell but I don't think Rift or Trion are going to 'die' any time soon.

Having a lot more fun in SWTOR than I ever did in Rift.  Not even comparable.

well here is the thing..at some point you must have enjoyed rift..by that i mean when you purchased it ..you must have purchased it because you enjoyed it.noone in there right mind would purchase a game they dont like.and your getting the same feeling now with swtor..well that may change also.and you maybe back where you started.

Actually I didn't purchase the game.  I got to try it out during the open beta right before release and the game just could not entice me into buying the final product.  See this game was advertised as something brand new, but when I played it, I felt like I was playing this other game that seemed exactly like it.  Warhammer.  The entire starting hub, the public quests, I thought well I've done this before to a T, no need to do it again.  And that was it, I don't think I even made it to level 10.

right so let me get this right..you had a dig at rift and you didnt even have a lvl 50 char..you only played beta.you didnt buy the game?well that in itself is  whats wrong m8..if you want to make an informed decision or comment on a game..at least have the decency to buy it and lvl to max first..how can you judge a game thru doin a beta ffs.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by dreamer05

Hate to feed an obvious and curiously bitter troll, but Rift is doing fine.  To be quite honest I did notice lower numbers this week but with such a big launch arriving it will be a bit noticable until people realize that SWTOR isn't as much fun as Rift, which is really sad cause in itself because I had high hopes, but I digress.....

Anyway the population already seems to be back this weekend as compared to last weekend so maybe people tried it out and saw there wasn't anything special, only time will tell but I don't think Rift or Trion are going to 'die' any time soon.

Having a lot more fun in SWTOR than I ever did in Rift.  Not even comparable.

well here is the thing..at some point you must have enjoyed rift..by that i mean when you purchased it ..you must have purchased it because you enjoyed it.noone in there right mind would purchase a game they dont like.and your getting the same feeling now with swtor..well that may change also.and you maybe back where you started.

Actually I didn't purchase the game.  I got to try it out during the open beta right before release and the game just could not entice me into buying the final product.  See this game was advertised as something brand new, but when I played it, I felt like I was playing this other game that seemed exactly like it.  Warhammer.  The entire starting hub, the public quests, I thought well I've done this before to a T, no need to do it again.  And that was it, I don't think I even made it to level 10.

right so let me get this right..you had a dig at rift and you didnt even have a lvl 50 char..you only played beta.you didnt buy the game?well that in itself is  whats wrong m8..if you want to make an informed decision or comment on a game..at least have the decency to buy it and lvl to max first..how can you judge a game thru doin a beta ffs.

SWTOR forum is flooded with this sort of behavior, you have it easy over here.  Most of the people that post criticism about Rift have played it for a few months and have multiple 50s.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

If such a thing happens, it will be of natural causes.

RIFT is a very solid game, but the mmorpg genre sets its foundations on a clear and close nich market. If you launch a game into a market of lets say 100 people and you are the first to do so, then all 100 people may end up by playing it. If you add another game to this market, then you have to admit the possibility of one game losing player base to another....imagine if you add 2 more...3...4...5...

The current market for this genre is a very unreliable one. You never know how many players are out there willing to play a mmorpg, and then you have all kind of factors dividing it: type of mmo, subscription type, themes, age ratings, etc, etc.

When you add a game like SWTOR to this market, in its current state, you can bet its going to shake the foundations of many mmos....not only RIFT.

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

I don't think its the end for Rift, I can see it settling into a steady existence for a few years yet, though of course with such high overheads anything can happen.

The issue with Rift is in its design. Themeparks are always hard work because the meat of the content is orientated around static PVE content like raids. Even the "dynamic" content like rifts all play out the same way, the only difference is when and where they appear. As a developer you have to keep churning out new content, continually dangling the carrot a little further away as players catch up. Eventually they will lose interest altogether.

Quite frankly I'm surprised that bigger companies haven't had a serious crack at the sandbox genre. Counter-Strike was a very simple game and it ended up being a cornerstone of online gaming for YEARS, how many people do you think will be playing Skyrim consistently for the next 5 years straight? No amount of premade content can ever hold a players interest like the infinite challenges that player-created gameplay can. Give players a solid toolset and they'll keep themselves amused for longer than you could with a production line of dungeons.

Yet companies still seem to prefer sinking hundreds of man  hours into content that takes a player maybe 6 hours to finish and everything after it is just grind to get tokens/tiered sets. Go figure.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I just wanted to say...

I've been unsubbed for Rift for about...hmmm...maybe 6 or 7 months now?

I got SWTOR, played it for a week, and now I'm resubbing to Rift.  And why?  Because the entire time I was PvPing in SWTOR, I missed Rift.  I just kept thinking about things like:  being able to queue for the BG you choose, customizable classes, easy respec, tiered battlegrounds.  SWTOR has none of these.

So it's quite possible that SWTOR could bring some people back to Rift ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Creslin321

I just wanted to say...

I've been unsubbed for Rift for about...hmmm...maybe 6 or 7 months now?

I got SWTOR, played it for a week, and now I'm resubbing to Rift.  And why?  Because the entire time I was PvPing in SWTOR, I missed Rift.  I just kept thinking about things like:  being able to queue for the BG you choose, customizable classes, easy respec, tiered battlegrounds.  SWTOR has none of these.

So it's quite possible that SWTOR could bring some people back to Rift ;).

Welcome back :) Deepstrike and Brocliff are still hot pvp servers. They just introduced the greater marks and marks for the old instances in preparation for the next tier of raiding. Trion has been quiet in December, so you have not missed too much.

The assumption is TOR will take hits when it comes to pvp due to things they have done. They have pigeon holed themselves into a corner and WILL BE (mark my words) FORCED to bracket off the 50's from the rest and BE FORCED to have x-server war fronts. Only way they can make it so you can choose your war fronts and do brackets.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Toxia

Tick Toc....... With SWTOR out now the ventilation machine keeping rifts withered heart pumping must be in overdrive.  I am curious is anyone playing rift anymore after.  Those bright lights you see are over stimulated neurons before system wide shutdown lol ;)  

Yup, tons are still playing rift.

You painted a nice picture with your words though. a fictional picture, but a good one.

The few remaining warhammer people used to reply this way too.  Does anyone even talk about that game anymore?

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I'm on the verge of opening my account, too. Now that gamecards are so cheap...(on a sidenote, i really wonder what is going on with that). I can get 60 days for 16Eur every day and recently there was this 90 day offer for the same price.

Checking my server on my 3 free days the population looked ok, even though i was playing on xmas weekend. But it also reminded me on some things i don't like about Rift which i'll never get used to. Plus there is a very annoying bug in my favorite soul that they don't seem to address.

So, i'm still quite hesitating..

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

For fun someonew should write an obituary

LOL :p

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

There is no noticeable drop on activity on xfire either, so I'd say Rift will not be affected by SWTOR's launch that much. Of course, having held the 5th place on xfire's charts, the current position of 64th is some indication of the game's decline over time.

That said, SWTOR itself is down from 3rd spot to 5th in just two days...

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Yes, it has been slower lately. But yes, everyone showed up for our scheduled raid time.  Same thing happened when Skyrim came out.  T2's give you 1 HK mark now so everyone is pretty busy!

Originally posted by VoIgore

I'm on the verge of opening my account, too. Now that gamecards are so cheap...(on a sidenote, i really wonder what is going on with that). I can get 60 days for 16Eur every day and recently there was this 90 day offer for the same price.

I always wondered which dev would be the first to strike. It makes sense when you add saturation to a market that they have to compete somewhere. I always expected Blizz would be the first to lower sub prices I have to wonder if Trion is seeing this and is considering it.

Not sure what rule says a sub has to be 14.99 a month. Is there like a wikipedia that explain the history of this why it is that price, since forever ago?

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

$0E did it back in the day, from $9 or $11 I believe to $14.

It's stuck since then 'cause nobody has been "brave" enough to try to increase it, not to mention the advent of itam mall crap from the Korean games being implemented in every US/EU MMO.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Just wanted to say I had a great time in Rift and met some really cool people. Its a very fun and well made game. I have no doubt it will stick around for many years.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Just wanted to say I had a great time in Rift and met some really cool people. Its a very fun and well made game. I have no doubt it will stick around for many years.

Yeah, I think Rift will be along for many years as well. That doesn't mean it wont be affected by the release of new games, I think particularly GW2 will hit it bad but I also think that the game have enough faithful fans to stay around.

It might go F2P though.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Frankly, I'd be really sorry if Rift had a population drop to the point of forcing them to go F2P or something. I might even sub once in a while to help prevent that! :P

I played the game for some time on launch, and it was a solid game, if not very inspiring. I can easily see myself revisiting it every now and then. I'd even say it's likely to be my go-to fantasy MMO for sometime, as Vanguard was for a while.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by Puremallace

Originally posted by VoIgore

I always wondered which dev would be the first to strike. It makes sense when you add saturation to a market that they have to compete somewhere. I always expected Blizz would be the first to lower sub prices I have to wonder if Trion is seeing this and is considering it.

Not sure what rule says a sub has to be 14.99 a month. Is there like a wikipedia that explain the history of this why it is that price, since forever ago?

The going rate used to be 9.99 believe it or not. Then EQ raised it to 12.99, and then DAoC raised it. Then somehow it jumped to 14.99 and has stayed there. Really, I don't think it can go above that with this current crop of MMOs. I actually thought we would see a drop, because of all the saturation and stagnation.

I still think we will MMOs start to drop soon. In fact, DDO and LOTRO are 9.99 if you go with the 3 month plan. I suspect once GW2 comes out we will see a pretty steep drop in sub prices if not before.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Originally posted by Purutzil

Anywho, ToR is more likely to fail before Rift unless ToR does something drastic to change the fact its generic as all can be without its story. Not saying it will, but right now, the only thing keeping my attention is the story. Their warfronts and other components are just so bland... 

Wish Trion would hire me and some other Rift fans. We could voice over the entire game in a week easy!! Just give us beer and it could be done. Noone argues the class quest in TOR are not pretty cool. Like you said how will people react to the rest of the game is the 150million dollar question.

Oh God please no.  I'm very close to resubbing back to Rift after playing SWTOR, mostly because TOR is so god-damned boring with all the cutscenes.  The last thing I want to do in an online game is to be stuck seperated from everyone else watching some poorly-designed NPC talk to my toon.

The only reason I have not immediately gone back to Rift is it's been a long time since I played and my gear isn't competative in PVP, and I like PVPing.  (I tried during a free weekend and couldn't put a dent in anybody really).

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

The only reason I have not immediately gone back to Rift is it's been a long time since I played and my gear isn't competative in PVP, and I like PVPing.  (I tried during a free weekend and couldn't put a dent in anybody really).

They got a thing that tries to match make the Rank 1-4's and 5-8s. Be warned it does not always work and you get put in the blender. I would say getting to Rank 4 is cake. After that focus on pvp dailies, pvp rifts, and whatever the bonus war front is and use the bonus potions they sent for vetern rewards.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

They got a thing that tries to match make the Rank 1-4's and 5-8s. Be warned it does not always work and you get put in the blender. I would say getting to Rank 4 is cake. After that focus on pvp dailies, pvp rifts, and whatever the bonus war front is and use the bonus potions they sent for vetern rewards.

I wouldn't say getting to Rank 4 is cake. I got all my 4 level 50s to Rank 2 easy but then the grind just kicks in and I'd just get bored, on my journey to Rank 3. It doesn't help when everyone else is better geared than you, like that Rogue (NB/RS) with 7k hp that always seems to find my 4k hp Mage and killing her before I have a chance. I generally love PvP'ing in games, but Rift's PvP is a boring grind, where you have to grind through hundreds of matches of crap until you can finally get to the good stuff.

So yeah... I enjoyed my 5 months PvE'ing in Rift, but I noticed how my always Medium - High pop Whitefall server slowly dropped to the state where I never see it above Low pop. Also with half my guildies leaving for SW:TOR, making our 20-man raids impossible, not even I could have a positive outlook on Rift's current state or future. So I've unsubbed. Although I'm too cool to be jumping on the SW:TOR bandwagon, because I'm already on the GW2 Hype Train Express. ^_^

Originally posted by Master10K

So yeah... I enjoyed my 5 months PvE'ing in Rift, but I noticed how my always Medium - High pop Whitefall server slowly dropped to the state where I never see it above Low pop. Also with half my guildies leaving for SW:TOR, making our 20-man raids impossible, not even I could have a positive outlook on Rift's current state or future. So I've unsubbed. Although I'm too cool to be jumping on the SW:TOR bandwagon, because I'm already on the GW2 Hype Train Express. ^_^

Be sure to laugh at your guild mates. Trust me in the long run you will. TOR is not worth disbanding a Rift guild for trust me and some people are learning it the hard way.

If you want to go ahead and dump on Rift go ahead, but do not rage on the forums when you come back and everyone did the same thing and is now wanting to come back to a dead server. They sort of think you just pause the game like a single player rpg and come back.

My guild on Wolfsbane pulled the same shit and I told them if I saw them logging on less and less that I would dump them for a guild interested in Rift and I did. People just keep acting like TOR was the next alternative to Rift that gave you so much freedom in soul choices and new content for a game working ont he exact opposite philosophy.

GW2 is a good 6-7 month away and that is optimistic.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Be sure to laugh at your guild mates. Trust me in the long run you will. TOR is not worth disbanding a Rift guild for trust me and some people are learning it the hard way.

If you want to go ahead and dump on Rift go ahead, but do not rage on the forums when you come back and everyone did the same thing and is now wanting to come back to a dead server. They sort of think you just pause the game like a single player rpg and come back.

My guild on Wolfsbane pulled the same shit and I told them if I saw them logging on less and less that I would dump them for a guild interested in Rift and I did. People just keep acting like TOR was the next alternative to Rift that gave you so much freedom in soul choices and new content for a game working ont he exact opposite philosophy.

I actually found the abundance of skill choices in Rift annoying, so many choices but no real enjoyable single choice. They took what could of been a solid line up of core skills and spread them out over two many souls and filled in the gaps with underwhelmng abilities  infecting everyone on the server with a sever case of schizophrenia trying to stay interested in their character,  It was a clever idea to keep people busy but I couldnt find a single class or spec that felt right.  It took me only two trys to fall in love with a class in SWTOR.  I had a couple of friends I tried to convert over to Rift, they at the time told me two many skills and most of them boring.   A the time I didnt really agree but ulitmately it was the case for me as well.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by snapfusion

I actually found the abundance of skill choices in Rift annoying, so many choices but no real enjoyable single choice. They took what could of been a solid line up of core skills and spread them out over two many souls and filled in the gaps with underwhelmng abilities  infecting everyone on the server with a sever case of schizophrenia trying to stay interested in their character,  It was a clever idea to keep people busy but I couldnt find a single class or spec that felt right.  It took me only two trys to fall in love with a class in SWTOR.  I had a couple of friends I tried to convert over to Rift, they at the time told me two many skills and most of them boring.   A the time I didnt really agree but ulitmately it was the case for me as well.

One of the beaitiful aspects of Rift is the oppurtunity for a player to make a very bad build.  There are so many possibilities for builds one can make a ton of diifferent class types but one can also make some very bad builds.  Most archetypes have 7-10 very good build options that can varied to a degree for taste.  While this is great for the long term player it can be overwhleming for the new player or casual player.  Doing public groups I see some extra-ordinarly bad players.  Mostly due to how they specced rather than gear.  Although gear does make a huge differeence, But proper specs is more improtant IMO.  I love seeing so many bad players.  The freedom to screw up is something we have not seen in MMOs in many years.  The classs system is very well done.  It take a small amount of thought and research to make decent build.  Which sadly is beyond the ability of many if not most modern MMO players.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by stringboi

Who the hell cares about how many people are in a game

Everyone except you, it seems.

You only need 20 people to play rift