Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End of Days

bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Tick Toc....... With SWTOR out now the ventilation machine keeping rifts withered heart pumping must be in overdrive.  I am curious is anyone playing rift anymore after.  Those bright lights you see are over stimulated neurons before system wide shutdown lol ;)  

Comments

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

For fun someonew should write an obituary

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Originally posted by bloodbone

Tick Toc....... With SWTOR out now the ventilation machine keeping rifts withered heart pumping must be in overdrive.  I am curious is anyone playing rift anymore after.  Those bright lights you see are over stimulated neurons before system wide shutdown lol ;)  

Yup, tons are still playing rift.

You painted a nice picture with your words though. a fictional picture, but a good one.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

I have to say, it is grimmer in my experience than the previous posted seemed to feel.

My server went from what I would call thriving, to a damn ghost town. Sure, there are still folks playing, and enough to keep the community healthy and alive for the time being. But it is *defenitely* quieter. No doubt about it.

But that said, Rift fills an important void. Folks who want a themepark fantasy game, with no interest in sci fi/star wars, and who are weary of WoW. I have more than a few friends in that category, and they are all playing Rift. However, aside from that group of friends, and myself, literally every signle person I know in game has cancelled their account and is, for now at least, playing SWTOR.

I doubt SWTOR will kill RIft, but to say it is not having an effect is to be putting your head in the sand.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Naral

But that said, Rift fills an important void. Folks who want a themepark fantasy game, with no interest in sci fi/star wars, and who are weary of WoW. 

There are other, better games that fill that void though.  If you add less than 5 years old to that then I could agree.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Such an obvious troll post. I would have reported you but the forum message said someone beat me too it.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Z3R01

Such an obvious troll post. I would have reported you but the forum message said someone beat me too it.

Considering how hard puremallace has been trolling the SWTOR forums I dont think this site really cares much

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I have not seen a difference in subs since Tor relased.  If one looks at Rift Status we cna see that Rifts has increaeed in players over the last 30 days. 

http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/na/trends

I am amazed at how the haters just make things up.  Rifts population is fine.  if anything there are far to many people.  I wish my server had a bit less.

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

Who the hell cares about how many people are in a game....as long as theres people to play with, does it matter?  New games will come out, steal some playerbase from another....they may come back, may not....its not going to be the death of the game.....at least not Rift.  It still has a loyal playerbase, its not going anywhere.  I dont play either game...but who the hell really cares where some ppl go...nothing can change it, no need to write the same thread we see about every single new game.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

on my server its pretty busy ,but you know what..its nothing different when a new mmo comes out,peeps go and try it.just to see if it is something different that will hold there interest.if  it does'nt work out they come back..if not then they obviously leave..rift is'nt the only mmo to be hit..lotro,wow,and a few more .fact of the matter is there is still more than enough playin rift atm.and the other games as well..each to their own.

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by stringboi

Who the hell cares about how many people are in a game

Everyone except you, it seems.

Yah...I'm sure everyone else cares about the other (let's use wow for instance) 10mil people in you'll never see or play with.  They dont make or break the game.  If they all took off and played something else would I or anyone else miss them.  I dont think so....there would still be a healthy community to play with and the game wouldnt go anywhere. 

There are other games with much less population doing well with what they got.  Theres no need to bring up population loss every time a new game comes out...we all know people will leave to play something new at some point....nothing you can do, stating the obvious every time....wont change a damn thing. 

This is my point...my only point!  When you run out of people to play with...then you should start to worry, not draw conclusions about every game because of one other game being released....its just rediculous.  To argue with that statement is a bit silly as well.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

Hate to feed an obvious and curiously bitter troll, but Rift is doing fine.  To be quite honest I did notice lower numbers this week but with such a big launch arriving it will be a bit noticable until people realize that SWTOR isn't as much fun as Rift, which is really sad cause in itself because I had high hopes, but I digress.....

Anyway the population already seems to be back this weekend as compared to last weekend so maybe people tried it out and saw there wasn't anything special, only time will tell but I don't think Rift or Trion are going to 'die' any time soon.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

Originally posted by dreamer05

Hate to feed an obvious and curiously bitter troll, but Rift is doing fine.  To be quite honest I did notice lower numbers this week but with such a big launch arriving it will be a bit noticable until people realize that SWTOR isn't as much fun as Rift, which is really sad cause in itself because I had high hopes, but I digress.....

Anyway the population already seems to be back this weekend as compared to last weekend so maybe people tried it out and saw there wasn't anything special, only time will tell but I don't think Rift or Trion are going to 'die' any time soon.

Having a lot more fun in SWTOR than I ever did in Rift.  Not even comparable.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by f1seb

well here is the thing..at some point you must have enjoyed rift..by that i mean when you purchased it ..you must have purchased it because you enjoyed it.noone in there right mind would purchase a game they dont like.and your getting the same feeling now with swtor..well that may change also.and you maybe back where you started.

• LafinatuLafinatu Member Posts: 48

YOUR have a lot more fun. Just cause you are doesn't mean everyone is. I bought SWTOR and played for a total of about 12 hours over the course of a few days and can say without a doubt that it's not for me. I have already cancelled my sub and will continue to play Rift. Because for me it is more fun then TOR and it's not even comparable.

High Five FTW!

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Well good. Goto the TOR forums and tell them to STOP COMPARING it then. If TOR is so perfect tell them to shut up. Tired of hearing how crappy TOR is in Rift 50 chat. Trust me people keep publishing their auto biographies in Rift chat when they come back.

I did start a population trend thread around here somewhere that was productive. I had images and everything. Yeah this is the very definition of a bait thread and even after being reported was never closed which tells me reporting it or calling the OP a troll would result in a ban.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Have you played ToR? Heck, lets put that asside...

Have you played MMOs before? Have you? Didn't you ever notice the decline in population during a big game or MMo release?

Anywho, ToR is more likely to fail before Rift unless ToR does something drastic to change the fact its generic as all can be without its story. Not saying it will, but right now, the only thing keeping my attention is the story. Their warfronts and other components are just so bland... 

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Purutzil

Anywho, ToR is more likely to fail before Rift unless ToR does something drastic to change the fact its generic as all can be without its story. Not saying it will, but right now, the only thing keeping my attention is the story. Their warfronts and other components are just so bland... 

Wish Trion would hire me and some other Rift fans. We could voice over the entire game in a week easy!! Just give us beer and it could be done. Noone argues the class quest in TOR are not pretty cool. Like you said how will people react to the rest of the game is the 150million dollar question.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

Originally posted by kevjards

well here is the thing..at some point you must have enjoyed rift..by that i mean when you purchased it ..you must have purchased it because you enjoyed it.noone in there right mind would purchase a game they dont like.and your getting the same feeling now with swtor..well that may change also.and you maybe back where you started.

Actually I didn't purchase the game.  I got to try it out during the open beta right before release and the game just could not entice me into buying the final product.  See this game was advertised as something brand new, but when I played it, I felt like I was playing this other game that seemed exactly like it.  Warhammer.  The entire starting hub, the public quests, I thought well I've done this before to a T, no need to do it again.  And that was it, I don't think I even made it to level 10.

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

The game is a fairly standard. What sets it apart though, is the class system. Extremely customizeable, essentially no need to make an alt with the variety of class combinations available. For example, clerics can fill every role familiar to MMO standards (heal, tank dps), they cannot, however, do much in the support department. After playing Swtor beta, I came to appreciate the versatility of the Rift class system. Classes in Swtor feel so old-school, so very...bare compared to Rift. In Rift, class wise, you feel like you're taking a step forward, with Swtor, you feel like you've stepped back 5 years.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

OP is a troll  post and this type of thing is the very reason I wish nothing but bad things to happen to world of torcraft. The cheerleaders are way to immature to deserve a decent game. Die TOR and do it quickly.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

people like the game, they should play it.

people don't, then they shouldnt.

nowhere in this simple rule does it say you should run around comparing how many people do/don't agree with you.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SquatchinSquatchin Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by Rusty715

OP is a troll  post and this type of thing is the very reason I wish nothing but bad things to happen to world of torcraft. The cheerleaders are way to immature to deserve a decent game. Die TOR and do it quickly.

I couldn't agree more.  At first I was interested in SWTOR, but as time moved on so did I.

Still playing RIFT and loving it, and waiting for GW2.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Rusty715

Its far more likely that anyone not currently playing Rift, is probably playing Skyrim,  rather than TOR.. image

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Don't worry next year it will be GW2 ghosting servers or some other game. it's an on going falacy. Dough henning had the same problem with magic being illusion and illusion being magic.

At the end of the day don't feed the trolls and be glad your game has competition. it creates deals and new content that keep's subs "Subbing" faster then a neutrino.

Happy gift day all!..stay off the highways this holiday season.