Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the game really THAT bad?

1789101113»

Comments

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by Happyguy83

vindictus and GW1 are complete lobby games.. GW2 is as much a lobby game as this game could be considered a lobby game.. so yes I'm serious

Try to look at this from my point of veiw.

You (Sanosukex) tell me that SWTOR's full VO and meaningful story choices are not innovative to the MMO genre because other non-MMO games have done them in the past. I then continue to say using that logic I could say that GW2 isn't innovative because other RPGs even if they aren't full fledged MMOs share great simularities with GW2 major "Innovation" talking point which is combat. You then negate that by saying GW1 and Vindicus are not MMOs there for they don't count.

you are trying to place so much emphasis on innovation.. 

I'm not actually.

And I could care less about whether a game give you dodge button or not so long as its fun.

You on the other hand are burnt out on MMOs and taking your frustratoin out on the lastest thing simple because you don't like the direction it took.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by NMStudio

Originally posted by Creslin321

However, when you compare dialg to GAMES in general, it's not innovative at all.  So to me personally, dialog doesn't feel innovative because I've seen it since the 90's.  I will say that the "multiplayer dialog" where you roll to choose who says something can be considered innovative though.

You have to be shitting me.

You can't sit here and tell me that GW2/AA/TSW are innovative because they do combat differently (In GW2 case). Then turn around and tell me that SWTOR isn't innovative because it does questing differently

As I said there is more to innovation then adding a dodge button.

I was talking specifically about dialog ;).

So innovation involving dialogue has different rules than innovation involving other things?  Any other rule changes we should be made aware of?

Uhhh what?  My post SPECIFICALLY said dialog wasn't innovative in terms of general games, but WAS innovative in terms of MMORPGs.  I then said that it didn't feel innovative to ME because I've been playing games with dialog for a long time.

How is any of this remotely incorrect?  I really have no clue what you are talking about.  Maybe you are confused because HappyGuy quoted only part of my post and it made it look like something it wasn't.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by NMStudio

You really just illustrated my point.  You could "do" in EQI combat most of what you could "do" in WoW combat.  And yet combat in the two games plays remarkably differently.

It's not about one game having feature X, and another having feature Y.  You can't really compare games like that. 

It's about how the combat feels.  How it plays.  How it flows.

Two games that have very similar abilities will play very differently if one game has primarily instant cast abilities, and the other has primarily charged or channeled abilities.

It's not something that you can just easily measure with a paragraph in a forum.  It's something that you really have to experience.

When I watch my jedi raise his lightsaber over his head and down to guard his back from an incoming blow, then return to the mob I'm currently fighting, it certainly makes the combat FEEL different than a lot of combat out there.

It makes it feel a whole lot like when I see my rogue in WoW dodge an arrow or melee strike...but that's just me ;).  I, personally, don't consider a different animation for the same exact action to be innovative.

Really, I think deflecting blaster bolts is something that is so iconic in Star Wars lore that it would have been ridiculous for them NOT to have an animation for it.

Anyway...a game doesn't have to be super innovative to be good.  So I'm not sure why you guys are so desperately trying to find things about SWTOR that are innovative.  And really, I think you're looking in the wrong places.  Why not talk about crew skills?  The companion system?  Also using your holocron to "call in" to a dialog scene.

Those are all fairly innovative.  Granted companions have been done before, but I think the way SWTOR does them is innovative.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

I'm not actually.

And I could care less about whether a game give you dodge button or not so long as its fun.

You on the other hand are burnt out on MMOs and taking your frustratoin out on the lastest thing simple because you don't like the direction it took.

true in a way but that doesn't mean the game doesn't have flaws that i felt can't be fixed.. If i felt the game was hopeless and sucked i would not be here talking about it.. I posted this a few times already but I feel if people are critical on MMOs about points they feel are important to them and in turn can influence others to try and bring up similar feedback perhaps in the future your can get changes you are looking for.. I know this isn't the official forums but I post there as well and spreading out your ideas is the best way to get them heard. You can agree or not agree doesn't mean I don't feel the same and if i can get others to see my points maybe they will express them to others and so on and so on. MMOs are evolving games and lot of what is added after release can be influenced by user feedback but if everyone just sits around hailing it to be the greatest game ever then the devs will take this as everything is just well and dandy and continue to do things only there way. Just look at how much positive feedback games liek Warhammer online and couple others got ar release and well look at them now.. feedback is important i for these types of MMOs I feel critical feedback is the most important

It makes it feel a whole lot like when I see my rogue in WoW dodge an arrow or melee strike...but that's just me ;).  I, personally, don't consider a different animation for the same exact action to be innovative.

Really, I think deflecting blaster bolts is something that is so iconic in Star Wars lore that it would have been ridiculous for them NOT to have an animation for it.

Anyway...a game doesn't have to be super innovative to be good.  So I'm not sure why you guys are so desperately trying to find things about SWTOR that are innovative.  And really, I think you're looking in the wrong places.  Why not talk about crew skills?  The companion system?  Also using your holocron to "call in" to a dialog scene.

Those are all fairly innovative.  Granted companions have been done before, but I think the way SWTOR does them is innovative.

No one is saying that TOR has to be innovative you are (as in the MMORPG.com forum community).

If a game HAS to be innovative to be fun then the gaming industry is fucked IMO. Everything that can be done already has been in some shape or form.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

No one is saying that TOR has to be innovative you are (as in the MMORPG.com forum community).

If a game HAS to be innovative to be fun then the gaming industry is fucked IMO. Everything that can be done already has been in some shape or form.

You are SO funny!

• meat_eatermeat_eater Member Posts: 9

As was wisely put before:

Look. This game has an empty world, the layout structure is of non-MMO calibur. What am I talking about? How about extremely instanced zones, tons of the legendary Bioware loading screens, and box/hallway instances. Narrow, linear paths with no real distingushiable open world environments. We all know that once upon a time we liked Warcraft and with that said we could easily distinguish the 'hot spots' in that game; X-Roads at the Barrens, Redridge, Ashenvale ... every zone in that game felt original, different, and had plenty of spots where people either constantly fought (PvP) or could recognize. There is NOTHING of that in Star Wars. Every level design is the same. The world is empty and hollow. Flat. Barren. Boring. Hell. Most of the NPCs aren't even selectable entities - they are part of the background. Don't believe me? Try clicking on them ... you can't. 

It's not that Star Wars is a bad game but it isn't really a true MMORPG. It plays more like a Co-Op RPG. The social side, persistent world, and open-world aspects (which are the strengths of what a true MMO are) are non-existent in this game. Classes play too similar, PvP is laughably boring, and the armor meshes are hideous. It's funny we are even given a character creation screen since 90% of people have robes that you can't hide covering their face and everyone looks damn near identical due to the lack of the art department crafting some decent looking clothing/armor. 

I really don't see SWTOR having a long lasting appeal like WoW did. Yes, it's something new and different, but in no way is this some gem of an MMORPG. It looks better than it is simply because it is better than just about anything that's come out the past few years. But please; don't kid yourself. This isn't some next-gen true MMORPG experience. It isn't even a real MMO. Cooperative Online RPG at best.

• kotzkotz Member UncommonPosts: 100

Dont be cheap. Stop asking others for advice.

If you do that in real life then where would you end up?

Try it and give it a shot. It will not cost you any more than another game. 

If you dont like it? dont continue playing.. Same thing with non mmo's. You buy it , play for 2 weeks or more/less. Like it or not??

Same shit different product.

I'm not actually.

true in a way but that doesn't mean the game doesn't have flaws that i felt can't be fixed.. If i felt the game was hopeless and sucked i would not be here talking about it.. I posted this a few times already but I feel if people are critical on MMOs about points they feel are important to them and in turn can influence others to try and bring up similar feedback perhaps in the future your can get changes you are looking for.. I know this isn't the official forums but I post there as well and spreading out your ideas is the best way to get them heard. You can agree or not agree doesn't mean I don't feel the same and if i can get others to see my points maybe they will express them to others and so on and so on. MMOs are evolving games and lot of what is added after release can be influenced by user feedback but if everyone just sits around hailing it to be the greatest game ever then the devs will take this as everything is just well and dandy and continue to do things only there way. Just look at how much positive feedback games liek Warhammer online and couple others got ar release and well look at them now.. feedback is important i for these types of MMOs I feel critical feedback is the most important

Warhammer was missing things such as classes at launch, TOR as far as I know (As a level 40 Female Trooper) has no where near the amount of problems that WAR had.

Also I believe that there is a difference between actually improvement (VO and Story in games such as Oblivion, TOR, and GW2) and a preferance in gameplay (GW2 COD ect ect). COMPLETLY changing gameplay is not an improvement IMO, improving gameplay like WoW did to EQI is.

I think the key here is that SOME people want the game to be more innovative because they are not having fun with it.  Yes, they come on here and say crazy general statements sometimes like "LOL game will fail, WoW clone!"  But in reality, they are just dissatisfied with the game because it's too similar to another game they already played.

That is how I feel.  I'm not arrogant enough to say that everyone feels the same way.  However, I'm also not silly enough to believe that there aren't a lot of people that do.

As to how many people feel this way, and how many people enjoy SWTOR for what it is...we'll find out in a few months either way.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

I think the key here is that SOME people want the game to be more innovative because they are not having fun with it.  Yes, they come on here and say crazy general statements sometimes like "LOL game will fail, WoW clone!"  But in reality, they are just dissatisfied with the game because it's too similar to another game they already played.

That is how I feel.  I'm not arrogant enough to say that everyone feels the same way.  However, I'm also not silly enough to believe that there aren't a lot of people that do.

As to how many people feel this way, and how many people enjoy SWTOR for what it is...we'll find out in a few months either way.

this is also another thing.. to me I'd love to be able to play this game for a year+ bcause I love star wars but without some big changes I really don't see it lasting past the point where people finsh the storys once you get to that point whats left? Its same basic themepark stuff.. hopefully they got big plans for the next coming months but I have some serious doubts on the capabilities of these developers...