Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Things I wish I knew before I started playing SWTOR" [tips]

Comments

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by DarkPony

Originally posted by Aquazen

Originally posted by Fext

Oh ok, kind of crucial. We don't want people to re-engine expensive purples while they can't get a proc :) I'll add a "needs confirmation" tag.

No, Rev Eng purples does get you a legendary purple after awhile, that I know. Changed it though so now up to date. I know you can learn orange recipes from certain mission skills like underworld trading, not sure about Rev Eng'ing orange items for orange recipes (It does allow to Rev Eng oranges, hard to believe that it would only be for resources)

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Fext

One thing you may want to add:

1. You don't need to have crafting (crew skill) materials and components in your inventory, you can keep it in your ship storage and it is uable (since the crafting is in fact made by your crew members).

2. Take your crew skills asap - right when you visit the fleet for the first time - namely the gathering support skill. This will spare you a lot of money later. Corusant yields a lot of easy resources that way.

3. Reverse engineering the stuff you made gets you new blue (prototype) schematics and some resources.

4.  Rev Eng blues gets you purple artifact level recipes. Rev Eng purples and you may get an orange and eventually a legendary purple item

5.  Each Rev Eng is a critical chance roll that you get the next tier recipe, the higher your crew skill and the more affection your crafting companion has, the easier you will make the crit roll

6.  Your mission crew skills can take the longest to raise, eventually, have more then one crew member get on your mission skill duties so you can stay current with your crafting and gathering skills

Great work guys, added those!

Thx Pony, I may be a little off about number 4, doing more research and will correct it if I am wrong

Oh ok, kind of crucial. We don't want people to re-engine expensive purples while they can't get a proc :) I'll add a "needs confirmation" tag.

The info is correct. rev eng purple gives legendary schematics.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

I definitely learned a few things from this thread, thanks DarkPony!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Sticky this.

This answered a lot of my friend questions. He asked me but I had forgot a lot of em since I haven't tried the beta in weeks, and I didn't know some of these myself ha ha.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

two things to add to this fine list:

last time i checked, and was disappointed to see, was that the speeder selection on both fleet and tatooine are identical. there are only two speeders available at level 25 as opposed to the much nicer selection we had throughout much of the beta. i may be incorrect about this, but i remember checking it.

i reverse engineered (armormech) a regular green item last night and received both a blue upgrade and an unslotted orange. this was obviously due to a crit roll on my crafting, but i thought it worth mentioning.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Originally posted by 9reesracer9

last time i checked, and was disappointed to see, was that the speeder selection on both fleet and tatooine are identical. there are only two speeders available at level 25 as opposed to the much nicer selection we had throughout much of the beta. i may be incorrect about this, but i remember checking it.

i reverse engineered (armormech) a regular green item last night and received both a blue upgrade and an unslotted orange. this was obviously due to a crit roll on my crafting, but i thought it worth mentioning.

Thx, an orange from a green, good to know

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by 9reesracer9

On empire side there are 5 speeders you can get at Tatooine if I'm correct and three at the fleet (for level 25). Also they have different colors compared to the fleet ones. I'll check on absolute numbers, but for now the notion that there is a wider choice on Tatooine is correct (for empire at least)

Oh nice man, but did the orange item also yield a new recipe for you?

edit: nvm that question. You didn't craft it but rev. eng. it, so yeah, two new recipe's right?

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

One little thing I have been doing on my toons is grabbing my crafting skills as soon as I can get to the shuttle (yes you can leave the starter planet before you finish your class quests).  At level 2-3 going to all the trainers before making your selection (adding them to your codex) can garner you 2 levels and some change.  Then choose your skills, and head back to the starter planet a little ahead of where you should be level wise.  Makes it a nice smooth ride till you finish your class quests and are able to hit the fleet for the first flashpoint.

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by Jimmac

Originally posted by orgash

Combat

NPC enemies bumped from high heights will die, unlike wow

would you consider removing the 'unlike wow' part? its kind of unecessary bashing another game unless of course you left the doorway open to turn this info on TOR into a flamefest..which by adding that little comment allows i think

How is saying "unlike wow" in anyway a bash of wow? That just sounds like a completely neutral, factual statement. Whether an NPC gets hurt when it falls is just a gameplay design. Factually stating that one game is different than another in this way is not a bash of either game.

The problem is that the implication is that either he is bashing WoW or he is implying that all other points, which did not mention WoW,  are exactly like in  WoW.

Originally posted by Blasphim

One little thing I have been doing on my toons is grabbing my crafting skills as soon as I can get to the shuttle (yes you can leave the starter planet before you finish your class quests).  At level 2-3 going to all the trainers before making your selection (adding them to your codex) can garner you 2 levels and some change.  Then choose your skills, and head back to the starter planet a little ahead of where you should be level wise.  Makes it a nice smooth ride till you finish your class quests and are able to hit the fleet for the first flashpoint.

Good tip. Slightly exploitive but I guess within reasonable bounds :)

I'll add it to the misc section.

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

You should add to use environment objects. Almost everywhere where there are enemy there are cases you can make explode that removes like a third of the life of your opponents . Or perma stuns elites so they become soloable.

(Sorry if my english sucks )

Great post

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277

The crafting/gear mechanics of this game are a bit of a gotcha for many.  The slightly annoying part of it is that people in general still don't know how it works and so I make more on the AH/GM selling color crystals (which mostly just change the color of your blade/blaster bolts)  than I do hilts (which determine the base damage of lightsabers).  I still like to freak people out by going into bgs wearing orange trooper armor on my jedi...

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Nice list, definately a few gems for me in there.  Thank you!

@Mods: Please sticky this topic.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Mounts:

There is also a speeder vendor on Alderaan in the first city you come to from the spaceport.  Near all the trainers.

Light side and Dark side vendors have an epic mount for sale as well which requires tier V, level 50 and about 99,000 credits if I remember correctly.

Space Combat:

If you let go of the mouse button and stop firing for a bit, your shields will regen faster than if you just hold the blasters down the whole time.

Quests:

Some quests you might find yourself stuck or bugged for whatever reason.  Instead of abandoning the quest and trying to find the NPC who gave it to you, you can just hit the "reset" button and it will revert to the very first step in the quest line.  Very useful for when I got stuck on my BH class quest because I used the Fleet Ticket to fast travel off of Dromund Kaas without going the long way and having the quest update.

Companions:

Don't be afraid to give companion gifts to your companions.  I believe the more affection they have for you the more quests you get from them, some of them are really lucrative and give good xp as well as help flesh out your character's story better.  Diplomacy is a great profession for finding tons of companion gifts.  My cargo hold is overflowing with them.

• renaldarerenaldare Member Posts: 20

Something I have noticed is that people do not pay attention to class quests. What I mean is when you enter a story area with a group only one person of that class may enter. The game flashes a message when you enter about this but most people seem to miss it. So if you are grouping and doing class quests keep this in mind, only one of the class may enter.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Originally posted by renaldare

Something I have noticed is that people do not pay attention to class quests. What I mean is when you enter a story area with a group only one person of that class may enter. The game flashes a message when you enter about this but most people seem to miss it. So if you are grouping and doing class quests keep this in mind, only one of the class may enter.

You can change this in your user options to allow more than one person of the same class into your story area. However, their own story won't progress in there if they haven't completed that part yet.

Also, stickied the thread. It's quite helpful.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Amana

Originally posted by renaldare

You can change this in your user options to allow more than one person of the same class into your story area. However, their own story won't progress in there if they haven't completed that part yet.

Also, stickied the thread. It's quite helpful.

Thank you so much!

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Not sure if this was said yet but if for whatever reason you cant find your companion theres a button in the bottom left that calls them to you. And for Jedi Consulars the main quest doesnt take you to the guy that has you pick your advanced class for some reason. You have to talk to the weird, Sub-Zero mask guy (Master Something). He stands by the right stairway to the commercial district and has a quest icon on his head. Probably the number one question I see in general chat, and it confused the heck out of me at cirst too

Updated OP. Great contributions guys. Really didn't know some of them; like resetting quests from elocke. Good one.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

"If it's lying dead and too close to mobs you can simply call another companion (if you have one) and after that call the killed one. [me]"

Isn't it easier to dismiss and resummon them if they died and you're out of combat? That's what I do.

You don't need to have crafting (crew skill) materials and components in your inventory, you can keep it in your ship storage and it is usable (since the crafting is in fact made by your crew members). [from Fext]

Cargo Hold, in general. People read "your ship storage" and they'll think that you have to get on your ship to store your stuff in there else they won't be able to craft when in fact it doesn't matter where you stored it, as long as it's in your Cargo Hold.

Originally posted by nblitz

"If it's lying dead and too close to mobs you can simply call another companion (if you have one) and after that call the killed one. [me]"

Isn't it easier to dismiss and resummon them if they died and you're out of combat? That's what I do.

You don't need to have crafting (crew skill) materials and components in your inventory, you can keep it in your ship storage and it is usable (since the crafting is in fact made by your crew members). [from Fext]

Cargo Hold, in general. People read "your ship storage" and they'll think that you have to get on your ship to store your stuff in there else they won't be able to craft when in fact it doesn't matter where you stored it, as long as it's in your Cargo Hold.

Points noted :) Updating OP.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Being a completionist puts you 5 levels over content.

In SWTOR, you should not feel obligated to complete all the quests. Experience comes easily.

I don't want to step on toes here; but that's not entirely the case. Experience doesn't come very easily. If you want to do all the class quests, and nothing else, you will be under-leveled on every planet after Act I. 

Completionist will be over content, like you said.

Also; Note: Crafting Components DO NOT STACK AUTOMATICALLY in your cargo hold, you must stack them manually.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Sora2810

Being a completionist puts you 5 levels over content.

In SWTOR, you should not feel obligated to complete all the quests. Experience comes easily.

I don't want to step on toes here; but that's not entirely the case. Experience doesn't come very easily. If you want to do all the class quests, and nothing else, you will be under-leveled on every planet after Act I. 

Completionist will be over content, like you said.

Sorry to say, but the plethora of lvl 50s during early access begs to differ. Lvling up is easy and while (after a while) focusing only on class quests will put you underlvled, it is not the only way (by far) to gain exp. HEROICs, Flashpoints, PvP, Space Combat, and random grind quests all yeild more exp than you'll ever need.

I personally focus mainly on the storyline quests, and only do a couple here and there that are convenient, and (surprise!) I am almost always at the same lvl, or slightly above what I need to be in order to do my storyline quests. It got a bit closer after lvl 30, but it still remains to be the case.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Can only think of a couple not covered - Reverse engineering a stack of items (stims/medpacks for example) will RE the whole stack.

To split a stack shift-left click and drag the stack - and choose how many you want to split off, then drop into a free slot in your inventory. Because shift-click also links items in chat, you'll need to delete the random appearance of the item names in the chat window (I hope they fix this!)

If you run out of credits or are short for your speeder training- run space missions or warzones to make some credits quickly. Neither come with repair bills, so they're a nice safe way to increase your credits balance. There are daily space and WZ missions (space ones on your ship, WZs at the Fleet) that give nice rewards too.

Thanks for the points, OP updated!