Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class Balance Is Terribad

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Here's a thought. Classes shouldn't be balanced 1v1. Different classes should offer different play experiences. The 'Road to Balance' doesn't seem to go anywhere, except back to the 'Road to Balance'.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Thoth-AmonThoth-Amon Member Posts: 91

i recently swapped from my sorc to trooper vanguard, tank spec. the troopers much more fun to play in pvp imo. i usually buddy up with a mate on his sentinel, i try and keep him shielded, use my taunt etc to to reduce his damage taken, and we rock. mmos for me are about teamwork, if you try and rambo on your sentinel you will just die a lot.

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Playing in The Ebon Hawk here. Remember things are always different in a RP server.

The leveling Pvp is really balanced teams have variety and usually you don't know what kind of players you are going to find.

I can't speak about lvl 50 pvp. But before the patch 1.1 the proportion of high level characters was 2:1 for the empire, I think it will more balanced by now because more casual Republicans will be getting high level.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Every time I've thought a class in this game was underpowered, I'd find out later I was playing it wrong.

Not saying that balance is perfect... I'm just sayin'.  Seems like this game is less forgiving than most games I've played in terms of understanding how to use abilities and skill points.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

After years of MMO, I learned one thing about balance.

If the class I am playing can beat any other classes, the class is balanced.

If the class I am playing can't beat others easily, OMG inbalance, nert xxxx class.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Robsolf

Every time I've thought a class in this game was underpowered, I'd find out later I was playing it wrong.

Not saying that balance is perfect... I'm just sayin'.  Seems like this game is less forgiving than most games I've played in terms of understanding how to use abilities and skill points.

In which I would say it's a good thing. If people actually have to read tooltips and learn how to play the class instead of just clicking on any abilities come up.

Originally posted by zakiyawow

In which I would say it's a good thing. If people actually have to read tooltips and learn how to play the class instead of just clicking on any abilities come up.

I agree.  It feels alot more tactical, to the point to where I set my abilities up in the UI WAAAAAY different than I do in other games.  There are few abilities that I don't use, and I bet I'll find out later that I'm an idiot for not using them.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by zakiyawow

I agree.  It feels alot more tactical, to the point to where I set my abilities up in the UI WAAAAAY different than I do in other games.  There are few abilities that I don't use, and I bet I'll find out later that I'm an idiot for not using them.

Probably not. For instance, the Jedi Consular has an ability with a 1.5 second cast time that does 300 damage. Another ability that is a channeled 3 second ability that does 600 damage. The channeled ability has more opportunities to crit, and starts damaging the target immediately so if you're interrupted, you've at least done some damage. However, the channeled ability has a cooldown. In one of the trees, there is a point that removes the cooldown on the channeled ability. Once the cooldown is removed, why would you use the casted ability instead of the channeled ability?

In my mind, I like the above scenario, because that one point changes how you play the class. In general you focus more on specific abilities and you won't likely end up with 48 keybinds that you're likely to use in a single fight scenario...even in PvP.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Probably not. For instance, the Jedi Consular has an ability with a 1.5 second cast time that does 300 damage. Another ability that is a channeled 3 second ability that does 600 damage. The channeled ability has more opportunities to crit, and starts damaging the target immediately so if you're interrupted, you've at least done some damage. However, the channeled ability has a cooldown. In one of the trees, there is a point that removes the cooldown on the channeled ability. Once the cooldown is removed, why would you use the casted ability instead of the channeled ability?

In my mind, I like the above scenario, because that one point changes how you play the class. In general you focus more on specific abilities and you won't likely end up with 48 keybinds that you're likely to use in a single fight scenario...even in PvP.

Hmmm... there might be something else to the 1.5 second ability... maybe there's less knockback, or it's uninterruptible?  Uses less energy per dmg?

I do like how the skill points CAN beef up favorites, though.  Lots of nice Rail Shot options for BH, for example, as well as some options for other powers that keep enemies in DoT state so you can almost always use it...

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by ArEf

Yeaaaah... The class balance is awful.

Sentinel / marauders are so underpowered it's unfunny. They can barely complete (and, in some cases, CANNOT complete) their class quests because of how squishy they are for a melee class. In all fairness, the juggernaut / guardian is also hopelessly underpowered.

Compare that with sniper / gunslinger (which I recently switched to) and it's just... light and day. You're a medium armour (like the sentinel/marauder) wearer but you have cover which provides a lot of range defence and you have range attacks and you do massive burst damage. Take down elites etc with ease, and most of the time you don't have to be in cover!

Of course, say this on the main forums and you get called a noob that doesn't know how to play. ._.

Anyone else got beef about class balance?

While it's true that marauders and sentinels are too squishy and weak compared to snipers and gunslingers, you mut bear in mind that snipers and gunslingers are excruciatingly boing to play in combat.

Originally posted by Thoth-Amon

i recently swapped from my sorc to trooper vanguard, tank spec. the troopers much more fun to play in pvp imo. i usually buddy up with a mate on his sentinel, i try and keep him shielded, use my taunt etc to to reduce his damage taken, and we rock. mmos for me are about teamwork, if you try and rambo on your sentinel you will just die a lot.

It's true the trooper spec is interesting in combat but unfortunately their story is so godawful boring that I just can't be bothered to proceed with the class. One of the downsaides of a 'story-based MMO'.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by noncley

Sentinel / marauders are so underpowered it's unfunny. They can barely complete (and, in some cases, CANNOT complete) their class quests because of how squishy they are for a melee class. In all fairness, the juggernaut / guardian is also hopelessly underpowered.

Compare that with sniper / gunslinger (which I recently switched to) and it's just... light and day. You're a medium armour (like the sentinel/marauder) wearer but you have cover which provides a lot of range defence and you have range attacks and you do massive burst damage. Take down elites etc with ease, and most of the time you don't have to be in cover!

Of course, say this on the main forums and you get called a noob that doesn't know how to play. ._.

While it's true that marauders and sentinels are too squishy and weak compared to snipers and gunslingers, you mut bear in mind that snipers and gunslingers are excruciatingly boing to play in combat.

They really aren't too squishy - it is indeed a L2P issue. They require effective use of defensive cooldowns and some intelligent talent speccing, but if Marauders got boosted anymore they would enter overpowered territory.

After the Operative nerf - the only class I would say that is still overpowered is BH Merc Arsenal / Gunnery Troopers. They have way too much defense and constant damage - both need to be toned down slightly.

Edit: To show that I am not trolling or making blanket statements, here is my Marauder - Fat'Granny at level 14 before they removed the level 50s from warzones - http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/evilastro/SWTOR/Screenshot_2012-01-23_20_32_46_263500.jpg

She is now level 25 and tops the damage every warzone without level 50s to take her out. On my 50 characters (Sorceror and BH Tank) I have found well played Marauders to be very sturdy. Obviously badly played ones are just cannon fodder. But they get a defensive cooldown every 1.5 mins where they reduce all incoming damage to next to nothing for 5 seconds (99% damage reduction), as well as a 20% damage reduction and reflective damage they can keep up almost indefinitely while getting attacked.

Originally posted by evilastro

They really aren't too squishy - it is indeed a L2P issue. They require effective use of defensive cooldowns and some intelligent talent speccing, but if Marauders got boosted anymore they would enter overpowered territory.

After the Operative nerf - the only class I would say that is still overpowered is BH Merc Arsenal / Gunnery Troopers. They have way too much defense and constant damage - both need to be toned down slightly.

Edit: To show that I am not trolling or making blanket statements, here is my Marauder - Fat'Granny at level 14 before they removed the level 50s from warzones - http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/evilastro/SWTOR/Screenshot_2012-01-23_20_32_46_263500.jpg

She is now level 25 and tops the damage every warzone without level 50s to take her out. On my 50 characters (Sorceror and BH Tank) I have found well played Marauders to be very sturdy. Obviously badly played ones are just cannon fodder. But they get a defensive cooldown every 1.5 mins where they reduce all incoming damage to next to nothing for 5 seconds (99% damage reduction), as well as a 20% damage reduction and reflective damage they can keep up almost indefinitely while getting attacked.

LOL. If your Marauder is only L25, you're not qualified even to read this thread let alone comment upon it. The low level experience is made easier for all classes to encourage them to level. The experience at mid-to-high level is a wholly new game.

Come back to us when you've levelled from 30-50. Then you'll change your tune.

And don't be so smug next time.

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

don't roll melees if retards from mythic are in the dev team.

LOL. If your Marauder is only L25, you're not qualified even to read this thread let alone comment upon it. The low level experience is made easier for all classes to encourage them to level. The experience at mid-to-high level is a wholly new game.

Come back to us when you've levelled from 30-50. Then you'll change your tune.

And don't be so smug next time.

You are a fool. I'm perfectly capable of determining what they are capable of by seeing other players in PvP and PvE, including both guildies / party members and opponents.

I'm sorry that you are a bad player, I really am. But the class is fine.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Originally posted by Azaria

I have to question ones mmo gaming background to act suprized that there is no class balance in a Holy Trinity themepark.

hehe

So you have played every single class to max level to know that Marauders are the underpowered class?

Give me a break. You can easily see from other players what a class is capable of.

I really am sorry that you are unable to play the class well, but there are plenty of good Marauders out there in PvP. They dont need a boost.

Your Marauder is L25. You don't know what you're talking about.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

dude I don't know what game you are playing but Juggies are Hard as heck to kill.

So you have played every single class to max level to know that Marauders are the underpowered class?

Give me a break. You can easily see from other players what a class is capable of.

I really am sorry that you are unable to play the class well, but there are plenty of good Marauders out there in PvP. They dont need a boost.

Yes. I do.

Having faced good Marauders and played alongside guildies who are Marauders, and having played Marauder up to 25. I very much know what I am talking about. Getting to 50 doesnt change the class dynamic, you get like 4 more abilities going from 25-50.

I know very well what the class is capable of. Just like you didn't need to play a level 50 operative to know how powerful they were.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Yes. I do.

Having faced good Marauders and played alongside guildies who are Marauders, and having played Marauder up to 25. I very much know what I am talking about. Getting to 50 doesnt change the class dynamic, you get like 4 more abilities going from 25-50.

I know very well what the class is capable of. Just like you didn't need to play a level 50 operative to know how powerful they were.