Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So where's the crowd ?

123457»

Comments

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by XImpalerX

Originally posted by LadyNoh

are you guys complaining that you care able to do quests without a crowd.

each area has multiple instances to hold 100 players. that way your not getting 20 people questing in the same spot.

This would be fine if this game was released in 2001. Its about time for MMO developers to create a solution to this, instead of working around it by "instancing."

Traditional MMO quest systems will send multiple players off to kill a boss. One player kills the boss and gets the loot. The rest of the players have to stand around and wait their turn for the boss to re-spawn so they can kill it and get credit for it. You don't want other players around you because they're stealing your kills and slowing your rate of achievement. MMOs are supposed to be about hundreds, if not thousands of players, playing together in a community, not putting them in the same world and then pushing them apart!

The event system in Guild Wars 2 is designed to specifically address this problem. All players that fully participate in an event are rewarded for doing so; everyone who helps kill a monster or blow up an enemy catapult will get credit for doing so. There is no kill stealing and no quest camping. Everyone works together towards the common goal of the event and everyone is rewarded for doing so. To help ensure there is always enough for everyone to do, our events dynamically scale, so the more players who show up and participate in the event, the more enemies show up to fight them. If a bunch of players leave the event, it will dynamically scale back down so it can be completed by the people who are still there playing it. This careful balance created by our dynamic scaling system helps ensure you have the best and most rewarding play experience.

Events are designed to help bring the community together and to give everyone a shared sense of responsibility and camaraderie in the game world. Even if you're not grouped up with someone, you'll only be rewarded for having more players come help you with an event! In Guild Wars 2, when you see another player you'll actually be excited to see them, where in traditional MMOs you generally think, "Oh great, here comes a guy to steal my kills." Through our internal game testing so far, it's been remarkable to see how well this idea has functioned in practice. Our entire studio has experienced countless moments where we've been drawn together to parts of a map to do events and felt a strong bond with other players; a truly dynamically created sense of community born out of the event system.

I prefer SWToR's method. I don't want an extra 6 people running up to kill the same stuff I'm killing and it has nothing to do with XP or loot. I would rather see crowded cities and sparsely populated adventure areas. Seeing someone out in the world should be a rare treat, not a common occurrence.

If that's how you feel why even play an MMO doesn't make sense to me the point is to play with others if not id just go play skyrim

Do you think the reason people play MMO's is simply because they have "massive amounts" of players in one area??  I would say that it probably has more to do with the game itself and not just how many people are standing around in one area.

If  there are 100 or 1000 people in a single area and the game lags or you just have a group of ten bozo's ruining the experience for the other 100 players, how does that make an MMO game a better experience?  Not that I have a problem with large numbers of players either, if it improves the game experience.  But lets face it, generally interacting with more than 10 people in a game is probably more like work than fun. 

But again it depends on the game and what people expect from the game, not just the fact that it is an MMO and therefore must be incredibly laggy and filled with social misfits, to be enjoyed, as you seem to suggest.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!