Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played a single minute of the NGE

12345679»

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Originally posted by Thunderous

SWG had healthy populations?  Come on...  That's just delusional.  Where were all these imaginary people you speak of?  I'm not comparing SWG to WoW, I'm comparing SWG to SWG.

In October of 2005 SWG was still viable and had packed servers.  By January of 2006, 3 short months later, SWG was an absolute ghost town and stayed one until the end.

True story.

Sorry SNG, but I went back to SWG on nearly every vet trial, and even at the VERY END (moreso at the end) even Starsider was dead.

Really, there's no need to spin it at this point friend, it was dead, it's closure proves it. Time for you to do what all of us Pre-CU vets have been told to do for many years... move on.

BS

Now seriously are having a laugh. Although it being dead near the end is obvious, the game was shutting down, and not many saw reason to play but in June just before the closure announcement populations were rising

I am not spinning anything, the facts speak for themself, as stated on 14th June 2011

"Many galaxies' populations have risen to healthy levels,"

"Quite simply, the servers are full"

You are the ones not facing the truth, and just wanted it to fail, so keep saying it was fail when it was not, in the end (in June before the shutdown announcement)

The timing of its closure and its announcement proves nothing to it being dead, it just proves more so that SWG and SWTOR could not co-exist, as 1) Populations were rising at closure announcement at 2) SWG shuts down Dec 15th and SWTOR launches 20th Dec, with a week leeway given to early access, so close to each other.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

SWG had healthy populations?  Come on...  That's just delusional.  Where were all these imaginary people you speak of?  I'm not comparing SWG to WoW, I'm comparing SWG to SWG.

In October of 2005 SWG was still viable and had packed servers.  By January of 2006, 3 short months later, SWG was an absolute ghost town and stayed one until the end.

True story.

Sorry SNG, but I went back to SWG on nearly every vet trial, and even at the VERY END (moreso at the end) even Starsider was dead.

Really, there's no need to spin it at this point friend, it was dead, it's closure proves it. Time for you to do what all of us Pre-CU vets have been told to do for many years... move on.

I completely agree. Free game time due to the $OE hack fiasco allowed some vet returns and player alternate accounts to be active AND the free character transfer service gave the illusion that SWG was doing better. While transfers to more populated servers allowed a couple of servers to hit medium or heavvy a couple of hours a night, Starsider still had the lion's share of players. Over all, SWG just did not have the paying player population to warrant the IP license renewal costs to keep going. End of story.

Originally posted by Kazara

True story.

I completely agree. Free game time due to the $OE hack fiasco allowed some vet returns and player alternate accounts to be active AND the free character transfer service gave the illusion that SWG was doing better. While transfers to more populated servers allowed a couple of servers to hit medium or heavvy a couple of hours a night, Starsider still had the lion's share of players. Over all, SWG just did not have the paying player population to warrant the IP license renewal costs to keep going. End of story.

There is no illusion, as people were returning and actually moving to servers that had people, and Chilastra and Farstar were locked because of it, they were FULL along with Starsider, but before the free CTS they were both Light, and Flurry was close to being next. It would been illusion for a week or so, but not the entire 45 days.

Mass loads of people just do not play games they do not like. SWTOR is proof of this, even within its 30 days free time, people were not logging in and playing, as reached level 50 and saw no point playing any more.

Assuming it was due to the fact the game was dead, and the rise was an illusion, SOE would have at least waited 1-3 months more to see if people would have subbed at the end of the 45 days, and it still would have given 3 months notice for its closure, which is the expected time frame for notice of a closure. As they made the announcement before people had the chance to resub, and gave a whopping 6 months, then that means the game was being shut down regardless of population.

SWG would be picking back up now, if it was active, as SWTOR is just not delivering.

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by superniceguy

True story.

There is no illusion, as people were returning and actually moving to servers that had people, and Chilastra and Farstar were locked because of it, they were FULL along with Starsider, but before the free CTS they were both Light, and Flurry was close to being next. It would been illusion for a week or so, but not the entire 45 days.

Mass loads of people just do not play games they do not like. SWTOR is proof of this, even within its 30 days free time, people were not logging in and playing, as reached level 50 and saw no point playing any more.

Assuming it was due to the fact the game was dead, and the rise was an illusion, SOE would have at least waited 1-3 months more to see if people would have subbed at the end of the 45 days, and it still would have given 3 months notice for its closure, which is the expected time frame for notice of a closure. As they made the announcement before people had the chance to resub, and gave a whopping 6 months, then that means the game was being shut down regardless of population.

SWG would be picking back up now, if it was active, as SWTOR is just not delivering.

Aaahhhhh. Buffy_Bites still living in the matrix after all this time? Lol. Still priceless.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

True story.

But the facts are, "it's dead Jim", it's not coming back, the game is shut down (for whatever conspericy you want to believe), and TOR is up.

(mod edit)

You have many choices for a sandbox game in the near future.  Dawntide, Secret World, and The Repopulation all look decent for upcoming MMORPGs.

It doesn't matter if SWG was full of free players or not pre-announcement.  It's still just as dead.  The servers are most probably whiped and all of the pixels that surrounded your toons (and mine) are now history.  There is no reason to hold on anylonger.

Originally posted by ericlatrelle

True story.

Aaahhhhh. Buffy_Bites still living in the matrix after all this time? Lol. Still priceless.

For the last time I am not Buffy, I was metalazo or Super_nice_jedi or EevylX

Originally posted by Esquire1980

True story.

But the facts are, "it's dead Jim", it's not coming back, the game is shut down (for whatever conspericy you want to believe), and TOR is up.

(mod edit)

You have many choices for a sandbox game in the near future.  Dawntide, Secret World, and The Repopulation all look decent for upcoming MMORPGs.

It doesn't matter if SWG was full of free players or not pre-announcement.  It's still just as dead.  The servers are most probably whiped and all of the pixels that surrounded your toons (and mine) are now history.  There is no reason to hold on anylonger.

All what I have said is no consipacies, it is all just business, and what I have said all makes sense. SWG is dead but it was not dead in June.

Everybody was playing on free time, no one was actually subbing. It getting dead after the free time if there was no shutdown announcement, is just wishful thinking.

The game getting shut down when populations were rising AND giving 6 months notice for its closure, makes absolutely no sense to decide to shut down the game then at that time. Leaving it a month or two, to see if people would sub and then give 4 months instead of 6 would still have given ample time for closure notice, and still shut down on Dec 15th.

Therefore the reason the game got shut down was not because of lack of subscribers, there is another reason for its shutdown.

Smedley even said that the populations were stable, meaning the reason for shut down was not lack of population. The reason for shut down was all down to licencing. People saying game got shut down because it was dead are the one making up conspiracies

Also I doubt they would have wiped it all, they would keep it for a while at least. Too much data and too much progress to wipe. Besides nothing I was saying here was saying it was coming back

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Superniceguy is incredibly confused on this matter.

The product wasn't viable, in fact, it hasn't been viable for a VERY long time, that's why it got put on SOE's pathetic conglomeration of games. 

Full servers...  Ya right.  I'd see like 10 people at supposedly the busiest hubs on Star when I logged on...  I'm not sure why someone would try to falsely reprensent server populations on a dead game...  It's the same sort of nonsense that Obraik used to pull when he would tell us all that SWG was better than ever, the population was growing, etc, etc...  Then people would log on and take screenshots and he would disappear for a while.  Same deal here.

Fanboyism is a severe condition and those who suffer from it need immediate treatment.

Tecmo Bowl.

The product wasn't viable, in fact, it hasn't been viable for a VERY long time, that's why it got put on SOE's pathetic conglomeration of games. 

Full servers...  Ya right.  I'd see like 10 people at supposedly the busiest hubs on Star when I logged on...  I'm not sure why someone would try to falsely reprensent server populations on a dead game...  It's the same sort of nonsense that Obraik used to pull when he would tell us all that SWG was better than ever, the population was growing, etc, etc...  Then people would log on and take screenshots and he would disappear for a while.  Same deal here.

Fanboyism is a severe condition and those who suffer from it need immediate treatment.

I am not saying there was FULL servers out of fanboyism like the SWTOR crowd are doing. The servers were FULL it is FACT

Also you keep talking about LOWCA when it did not even exit between April and June 2011. The game was declining up until the free CTS in April 2011, and was getting worse. The only populated server was Starsider. Then in May and June 2011, Chilastra, Farstar and Flurry grew with Chilastra and Farstar becoming FULL - "Quite simply, the servers are full" - Mepps

Please learn to read, so I do not have to keep posting these facts again and again and again, thanks

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

I am not saying there was FULL servers out of fanboyism like the SWTOR crowd are doing. The servers were FULL it is FACT

Also you keep talking about LOWCA when it did not even exit between April and June 2011. The game was declining up until the free CTS in April 2011, and was getting worse. The only populated server was Starsider. Then in May and June 2011, Chilastra, Farstar and Flurry grew with Chilastra and Farstar becoming FULL - "Quite simply, the servers are full" - Mepps

Please learn to read, so I do not have to keep posting these facts again and again and again, thanks

SWG had not 25 healthy servers anymore, SWG had not even 12 merged healty servers, it was down to 3 healthy servers due to free charcter transfer. That's the fact.  The population was to low to fund the game, that's also a fact.

Originally posted by Sandbox

SWG had not 25 healthy servers anymore, SWG had not even 12 merged healty servers, it was down to 3 healthy servers due to free charcter transfer. That's the fact.  The population was to low to fund the game, that's also a fact.

Population was not too low to fund the game and it is not fact as there is no where that states that, and if that was fact then SOE would not be able to run DCUO, which is under licence from WB. That game only has 4 servers total - one for US PS3, one for EU PS3, one for US PC  and one for EU PC. Only the PC users have access to 2 servers. PS3 users only have one server.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by ericlatrelle

Originally posted by superniceguySWG would be picking back up now, if it was active, as SWTOR is just not delivering.

Now Ericlatrelle, I don't see Superniceguy being Buffy from the SOE Forums.

IN fact it shouldn't matter whom we were on that forum since that forum is CLOSED.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

EXACTLY! Full ONLY because it was all the players that were left condensed down from 25 to 3 AND they had given 45 days access for their major F'up with peoples identities.

Originally posted by TUX426

EXACTLY! Full ONLY because it was all the players that were left condensed down from 25 to 3 AND they had given 45 days access for their major F'up with peoples identities.

Yes that is true actually, the free character transfer service was actually reviving the game, but it was 4 healthy servers actually. 3 FULL ones, with Flurry on the rise heading to FULL as well. If they did do another merge (shutdwon servers forcing people to transfer) there would have been enough populations for at least 6 servers at that time. SOE were even in discussions of reducing servers down to 4.

If mergers mean more characters per server (up to 8) would be permitted.

ANSWER: "If we went down to 4 servers instead, players could have 2 characters on each server. We have no plans right now to increase characters per server. There is a lot involved with that option that we would need to work out first."

I do not see a problem with only 4 servers when DCUO also only has 4 servers, and I do not see SWG as failing until one server was unable to remain healthy, especially with the free transfers - one server is all you need to play and enjoy the game. Basically with all what was being said SWG look well safe for at least 1-2 more years, if SWTOR was the huge success it was going to be, but now knowing that SWTOR has not been all that great people would have gone back to SWG. and SWG would have lasted longer.

Also myself and others were putting in a plan to boost numbers on Shadowfire too, after the 2 week downtime, which I tried on Valcyn but failed as I was the only one. This time I had help, but all got wrecked when they announced the closure, and they mostly stopped playing after the shutdown announcement.

The 2 week downtime made myself and others appreciate SWG for what it was all the more.

It will never be a fact that people would have quit or stayed after the 45 days, that is only wishful thinking from either side, but considering people could not sustain playing TORtanic within the 30 days after paying for the game or even the collectors edition, and that it was all new and fresh, kind of shows that people will not waste time playing a game if they do not like it, so therefore I find it hard to believe that people were playing and keeping the servers high all that time when they did not want to. People were playing as were no longer stuck on dead servers, for the reason they quit in the first place. Had the game not got shut down, I reckon more people would have come back too. The free cts was not around long to determine doom, while it was in place and before the shut down announcement, SWG was booming.

Yes that is true actually, the free character transfer service was actually reviving the game, but it was 4 healthy servers actually. 3 FULL ones, with Flurry on the rise heading to FULL as well. If they did do another merge (shutdwon servers forcing people to transfer) there would have been enough populations for at least 6 servers at that time. SOE were even in discussions of reducing servers down to 4.

ANSWER: "If we went down to 4 servers instead, players could have 2 characters on each server. We have no plans right now to increase characters per server. There is a lot involved with that option that we would need to work out first."

I do not see a problem with only 4 servers when DCUO also only has 4 servers, and I do not see SWG as failing until one server was unable to remain healthy, especially with the free transfers - one server is all you need to play and enjoy the game. Basically with all what was being said SWG look well safe for at least 1-2 more years, if SWTOR was the huge success it was going to be, but now knowing that SWTOR has not been all that great people would have gone back to SWG. and SWG would have lasted longer.

Also myself and others were putting in a plan to boost numbers on Shadowfire too, after the 2 week downtime, which I tried on Valcyn but failed as I was the only one. This time I had help, but all got wrecked when they announced the closure, and they mostly stopped playing after the shutdown announcement.

The 2 week downtime made myself and others appreciate SWG for what it was all the more.

It will never be a fact that people would have quit or stayed after the 45 days, that is only wishful thinking from either side, but considering people could not sustain playing TORtanic within the 30 days after paying for the game or even the collectors edition, and that it was all new and fresh, kind of shows that people will not waste time playing a game if they do not like it, so therefore I find it hard to believe that people were playing and keeping the servers high all that time when they did not want to. People were playing as were no longer stuck on dead servers, for the reason they quit in the first place. Had the game not got shut down, I reckon more people would have come back too. The free cts was not around long to determine doom, while it was in place and before the shut down announcement, SWG was booming.

People like Tux just don't get this.

Was SW:G as populated as it was in 2003 or 2004 before the CU and NGE?  Nope.

But it wasn't as barren as it was in December 2005 or March 2006.

Stratics Estimates are that before the Shutdown announcement....that the population was in the 10k to 25k region of Active Accounts.  Now no one really knows off hand how many of the accounts that were active were owned by the same person/family.....

I had 4 active in Jan 2011.  I know a few members of my Starsider Guild also had at least 2 as well.

The population of SW:G in 2011 comprised of people that Wanted to experience the Star Wars Universe during the timeline between Epi 4 and Epi 5. A good percentage were pre-NGE vets that were able to still enjoy the game for what it was....A Game.  It was Far from "Its Dead, Jim" and I'd guess that like SNG above me, if TOR took off; it would have probably lasted (if LA had allowed it) to hit 10 years but not much past that point.

Since TOR 'seems' to be Tanking, SW:G would have surged in returning vets and probably a Ton of New Trial Accounts from people that 'discovered' that there was another Star Wars MMO out there that actually allowed you more freedom to do what ever you wanted in game Content wise, Still be able to swing a Lightsaber and go Light or Dark, Still be able to Craft and be a merchant on the galactic economy, had better space options (not on rails), more worlds to explore, more races to play as. the list is endless.

The Big thing that TOR doesn't have that SW:G did....

The ability for Players to Ignore Content, still be able to get their Profession Mastery, and still be able to have FUN.

You could be Uncle Owen in 2003 or 2005 or 2009 or 2011.  You could be "Stormtrooper #134" and hunt for PvP during the whole lifespan of SW:G.  You could be Twi'lek Dancer #42 during the day time, and Rodian Bounty Hunter at night.

Yes, SW:G lost stuff with the progression from Patch 14.1 to Patch 16 to the NGE.  But it didn't lose the ability to STILL BE FUN if you gave it a chance for what it was.

Originally posted by hipiap

People like Tux just don't get this.

Was SW:G as populated as it was in 2003 or 2004 before the CU and NGE?  Nope.

But it wasn't as barren as it was in December 2005 or March 2006.

Stratics Estimates are that before the Shutdown announcement....that the population was in the 10k to 25k region of Active Accounts.  Now no one really knows off hand how many of the accounts that were active were owned by the same person/family.....

I had 4 active in Jan 2011.  I know a few members of my Starsider Guild also had at least 2 as well.

The population of SW:G in 2011 comprised of people that Wanted to experience the Star Wars Universe during the timeline between Epi 4 and Epi 5. A good percentage were pre-NGE vets that were able to still enjoy the game for what it was....A Game.  It was Far from "Its Dead, Jim" and I'd guess that like SNG above me, if TOR took off; it would have probably lasted (if LA had allowed it) to hit 10 years but not much past that point.

Since TOR 'seems' to be Tanking, SW:G would have surged in returning vets and probably a Ton of New Trial Accounts from people that 'discovered' that there was another Star Wars MMO out there that actually allowed you more freedom to do what ever you wanted in game Content wise, Still be able to swing a Lightsaber and go Light or Dark, Still be able to Craft and be a merchant on the galactic economy, had better space options (not on rails), more worlds to explore, more races to play as. the list is endless.

The Big thing that TOR doesn't have that SW:G did....

The ability for Players to Ignore Content, still be able to get their Profession Mastery, and still be able to have FUN.

You could be Uncle Owen in 2003 or 2005 or 2009 or 2011.  You could be "Stormtrooper #134" and hunt for PvP during the whole lifespan of SW:G.  You could be Twi'lek Dancer #42 during the day time, and Rodian Bounty Hunter at night.

Yes, SW:G lost stuff with the progression from Patch 14.1 to Patch 16 to the NGE.  But it didn't lose the ability to STILL BE FUN if you gave it a chance for what it was.

Yup, and the highlighted part I would imagine SWG would have generated some more interest this year with the films rereleasing in 3D.

The decision to not leave SWG running for at least one more year was a wrong one on mass scale.

When I go see those films it will just remind me of SWG :(

Thats a great point that I missed.

With the 3D release of the Films....Interest in Star Wars games is bound to skyrocket.

Console game sales will take off for all the platforms...

SW:G would have benefitted from the new releases and so would ToR.

SW:G Trials would have exploded, and I'd reckon a guess that a decent percentage of the Trials would have become Paid memberships.  Same probably for ToR.

And ToR players that had never played SW:G would probably have tried SW:G and vice versa.

Now that ToR is the only option, and from statements that once you hit Level 50 in ToR there really isn't much left to do once you have tried all the Alignment options....I don't know what Star Wars Fans are going to do for Online Gaming fun.

LA dropped the ball on this one. They had the potential for earnings from TOR AND SW:G players.

Now they just have ToR....and it seems that TOR is leeching subs less than 3 months after release Faster than SW:G was leeching subs in 2004/05.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I never played and I feel that I was robbed of the experience when compared to what they put me through with SWTOR.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Just tried to read your links and both are  the official front page for SOE.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

Yes, because the forums have been completely deleted now, and all links to the forum posts/threads take you to the front page. If you looked at the links when I posted that in January you would have seen the information.

The best now is this thread which basically says what Mepps said at the time in June 2011, almost this time last year, and confirms with what I said in the post there. "after they closed starsider as a destination server, they now closed both chilastra and europe-farstar. Leaving only Flurry as well populated server left"

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Only a full roolback to Pre Cu could have saved SWG and that if it would have happened 2006 ASAP after the NGE disaster..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

It defintely sucks man, swtor would never be here if swg didn't go NGE.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Look at the date of the post. SWG existed back then; it doesn't now.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Jonoku

It defintely sucks man, swtor would never be here if swg didn't go NGE.

True enough. Unfortunately, LA didn't learn a thing from the experience. There was a persistent defensive theme I heard a lot back then that ran: "OK, I get it - majorly changing a game long after launch will be a disaster. But if SWG had been launched looking like the NGE, it would have been a great success!"

Well.

I think I know where we can file that notion.