Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played a single minute of the NGE

Comments

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by Onomas

Originally posted by orsonstfu

Everything people complained about the NGE was exactly the same when they went to other mmo's and pretty much everything released today.

NGE didnt affect the core mechanics of the game, people just didnt give it time.

SWG had the best crafting, best player housing, huge open worlds, tons of features, a great market, and so much more. Every game has its small flaws and huige issues. I just dont think SWG got a fair shake. And the fact they didnt advertise the game realy hurt.

Id resub to SWG in a heart beat not even debating it if they reopened SWG. It was just a much more indepth and fun game for me. I dislike these dumbed down mmo's of today. Dont get me wrong, i missed the pre-cu. BUT SWG was still a great game.

There is no way you are seriously trying to tell anyone with a brain larger than a split pea that the NGE didn't change the core game mechanics.

Try telling that to me and my main a Creature Handler / Bio-engineer. My character was all but removed from the entire game.

The core mechanics of the game all entirely changed. The ONLY thing that wasn't effected were the dynamic harvesting nodes. Thats it.

creature handler wasnt a core mechanic of the game, was a class. NGE and CU changed combat,UI, and class structure. Planets, cities, buildings, quests, crafting, resources, market, creatures, and several other things stayed the same. And SWG didnt have nodes for resources ;) So for you maybe losing your class was a game killer, i lost many of the classes my 8 characters had at one point.

They were compensated with BM anyway.

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

Everything people complained about the NGE was exactly the same when they went to other mmo's and pretty much everything released today.

NGE didnt affect the core mechanics of the game, people just didnt give it time.

SWG had the best crafting, best player housing, huge open worlds, tons of features, a great market, and so much more. Every game has its small flaws and huige issues. I just dont think SWG got a fair shake. And the fact they didnt advertise the game realy hurt.

Id resub to SWG in a heart beat not even debating it if they reopened SWG. It was just a much more indepth and fun game for me. I dislike these dumbed down mmo's of today. Dont get me wrong, i missed the pre-cu. BUT SWG was still a great game.

There is no way you are seriously trying to tell anyone with a brain larger than a split pea that the NGE didn't change the core game mechanics.

Try telling that to me and my main a Creature Handler / Bio-engineer. My character was all but removed from the entire game.

The core mechanics of the game all entirely changed. The ONLY thing that wasn't effected were the dynamic harvesting nodes. Thats it.

creature handler wasnt a core mechanic of the game, was a class. NGE and CU changed combat,UI, and class structure. Planets, cities, buildings, quests, crafting, resources, market, creatures, and several other things stayed the same. And SWG didnt have nodes for resources ;) So for you maybe losing your class was a game killer, i lost many of the classes my 8 characters had at one point.

Creature Handler wasn't a class. SWG that I played had no classes. I stopped playing when they introduced it.

Bio-engineer was a core mechanic it had it's own system. Creature handling played into it and the CU took away the CORE MECHANICS from many of the monsters AI's which included stalking, lurking, hunting, hiding, stealthing.

And yes, SWG had nodes, you found them by surveying and they were dynamic and changing. They weren't a mining node like a little lump in WoW but underground. So? Anything else you remember incorrectly and wanna dribble spin or weave into a lie or flat out misinformation?

Originally posted by Lowcaian

Yep, compensated.

So if you had a ferrari and I took it away and gave you a beat up ford pinto on a empty tank of gasoline and said thanks... You'd be content right?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Yep, compensated.

So if you had a ferrari and I took it away and gave you a beat up ford pinto on a empty tank of gasoline and said thanks... You'd be content right?

SWTOR has no BM or CH/BE so still screwed. There is no other game that does it - handle pets and create them.

They went about it wrong in 2005, but that situation will never happen again by anyone, although it did when they shut down SWG, as those who were into BM has lost everything now, without a decent replacement

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Yep, compensated.

That one was a Ferrari and the other a Pinto is just a matter of opinion since many vets I played with regarded BM just as good as CH.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by hipiap

Originally posted by TUX426

Originally posted by superniceguy

You are the one who is smearing and twisting the facts. I have no love for SOE as always found them to be a pain in the neck, but there are no facts to indicate SOE are to blame at all for anything to do with SWG. It is all pointing to LA

SOE are more friendly and reasonable when dealing with any of their other games, but when it comes to SWG they were extremely strict. LA were pulling their strings, and did not dare do anything to cross them. Lucas is too overprotective of the SW IP. Even Activision have said that they have had problems in dealing with Lucasarts

SOE was the DEVELOPER! They wrote ALL the code. FACT!!!!

LA leased them the "Star Wars" license to profit off of. They wrote ZERO lines of code. FACT!!!

I assure you, LA didn't come up with pink flying ewoks with purple hearts, zombies or dipping your 'berries' in chocholate. They simply approved it.

Amusing theory Tux.

I'm assuming you missed the Lucas Developers that worked with SOE Austin on this game.  Names in the Credits even.  All the expansions as well.  Some even posted on the Forums.

Oh wait...but then you'd have to admit that just maybe you are wrong.

You never could do that.

I have no problem admitting when I'm incorrect or flat out wrong Hip. NONE!

I'm not wrong here.

Name the CODERS Lucas Arts had working on SWG daily. Please. Name one LUCAS ARTS employee that directly wrote code for the game and please provide a link with some form of proof to back up your claim.

No where have I ever said LEC/LA did any coding.  Because to the best of my knowledge, you are correct...

For example...for RoTW, SOE had EQ coders do some of the work on the content that was approved.

All I have said (and I'm back reading my posts to make sure I am correct and Honest) is that LEC AND SOE developed the game.

LA/LEC is the IP owner....they decide they want "X" as content....and then they instruct the SOE Developers and Coders to Implement that content.

If LA didn't want the NGE, they would not have Allowed it to be done, Period.

If LA didn't want SW:G to shut down, they would have made it worth Renewing(what was Smedley's comment....that he didn't think it was worth attemping to renew or extend it. ).   What did they pull to make John not even try to extend the life of the game that got him into SOE in the first place (I seem to recall he was Verant Studios first, correct me if wrong please).  I'm not wholey convinced that SOE was the "Great Decider" on ending SWG. 

My only "Proof" outside of conversations I've had with insiders is the way the annoucement was made.

During the Post Hack 45 Free Days. Over 6 months (or so) warning.

Didn't MxO get shut down in 2 months post announcement?

And June 24, 2011; when they made the announcement of the Pending Closure...it was less than 2 weeks before the July 7-9 Fan Faire.  They were Pimping the daylights out of the SW:G panel and highlights of what they were planning to add later in the year.

And the speed in which the Developers were able to get Atmos Flight and Combat Live before the end.

It's a combination of the Little things that lead me to have the opinion that LA was the driving force behind 'convincing SOE" to not bother trying to renew/extend past December 15th, 2011.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

(and somwewhat proud of it)

who else didn't touched that POS $OE thought at us that was NGE ?

I am a pure PRE - NGE'r and my respect goes to pure PRE CU 'r  who even didn't touched and resisted even the CU.

If you didn't touch it, not even for a supposed "minute"... then your opinion of it is non-valid and completely worthless.

You know, nothing.  Good day, sir.

Guess they preffered a dumb down system. Thats their perrogative, I want what I worked for which was Bio-engineer and Creature Handler as a complete experience.

I did not want Beast Master light version beta.

I was a veteran Bio-Eng and I made billions of credits selling things to people. Trust me when I tell you that what they implemented in the NGE to try to bring it back wasn't even a shell of its former self. It was dumbed down in every possible way that it could have been.

Guess they preffered a dumb down system. Thats their perrogative, I want what I worked for which was Bio-engineer and Creature Handler as a complete experience.

I was a veteran Bio-Eng and I made billions of credits selling things to people. Trust me when I tell you that what they implemented in the NGE to try to bring it back wasn't even a shell of its former self. It was dumbed down in every possible way that it could have been.

It was far from dumbed down, the process it took to create the pets was very complex

It was far from dumbed down, the process it took to create the pets was very complex

Not as complex as the original. I tried both, I have 2 notebooks still aroudn where I was trying to help the online community of bio-engineers figure out the math algorithims that they used for stat progression in the original iteration of Bio-Engineering.

Th NGE version of BM wasn't nearly as complex as it was a money and time sink.

Originally posted by Kazara

Originally posted by Esquire1980

As the wife says, "It's dead, Jim" seeing that signature pic I copyed from these forums many years ago in fact.  It really doesn't matter anylonger, does it?  It's gone and it's not coming back.

I emailed LA saying that SWTOR is no where a good as SWG and would like it back, and they passed my feedback on to the relevant people. SWG can come back by popular demand, but if people think there is no hope and do not let LA know then it will not come back.

LOL! I don't think this will be happening ever. How well did the 'petition'  to save SWG work out after the closure announcement was made? How many even bothered to sign it?

$OE/LA  will not be bringing SWG back. it is gone - let it go.

It was the best MMO out there, and deserves to be brought back.

The petition did not work at the time because there was all hope on SWTOR, now it is not that great as expected they are now realising why people went all out to try and save it, and the peition was not a wasted effort.

Before Dec LA were ignoring me, but now in Jan when they are seeing the decline on SWTOR they are not and realising that SWG had more attraction than they thought.

Something is going to be done - either SWG is brought back or SWTOR changes to be more like it. Preferably SWG is brought back, and then leave SWTOR as it is, otherwise it will be like another NGE

I would love to see it back....but what i'd prefer personally is:

Grab a Flightless Bird Project....

Pump on JTL........

If possible (at this time post OG Shutdown) Port all Accounts that were active with Character, Bank accounts, housing, bank storage to the new servers... WIth all badges and titles and Ranks and master levels etc....

Go back to all 32 professions with the CU type profession Respec process in play, and Keep all Content that was added between 12/1/05 and 12/1/11.

CU/Pre CU professions and 2011 Content would make SW:G wonderful IMO.

Not as complex as the original. I tried both, I have 2 notebooks still aroudn where I was trying to help the online community of bio-engineers figure out the math algorithims that they used for stat progression in the original iteration of Bio-Engineering.

Th NGE version of BM wasn't nearly as complex as it was a money and time sink.

It has been a long time ago since dabbled in BE but what I remember it seems a bit buggy and flawed, and BM seemed to be a bit more solid system, and was definately just as complex just a different kind of complex

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Paying to play NGE...  That's pretty funny...  Sad, but funny.

I would log on during the free time and go HOURS without encountering another player.  It was depressing as hell.  Then when I found people it was the same 10 idiots spamming Mos Eisley seemingly every time I logged on.  In the end there couldn't have been more than 2,000-3,000 paying suckers in the game.

It was really just a depressing atmosphere and the blueprint of how NOT to operate an online game.

Tecmo Bowl.

Originally posted by Thunderous

I would log on during the free time and go HOURS without encountering another player.  It was depressing as hell.  Then when I found people it was the same 10 idiots spamming Mos Eisley seemingly every time I logged on.  In the end there couldn't have been more than 2,000-3,000 paying suckers in the game.

It was really just a depressing atmosphere and the blueprint of how NOT to operate an online game.

Pretty much the same as SWTOR. Some people say they see loads, other people say they see no one

If you see no one then transfer to a more populated server. Starsider had plenty of people and there were loads everywhere, following the free cts in April 2011, Chilastra, Farstar and Flurry grew.

Also at least when you reach max level there is plenty to do in the game, unlike SWTOR

I was on STAR...  I knew that Lowca was dead, Bloodfin was empty...  There simply were no people.  The game was not commercially-viable any longer and really hadn't been for a very long time. 

SWG died in 2005, it was on life support until December.  They finally pulled the plug and ended it's misery.

Tecmo Bowl.

I was on STAR...  I knew that Lowca was dead, Bloodfin was empty...  There simply were no people.  The game was not commercially-viable any longer and really hadn't been for a very long time. 

SWG died in 2005, it was on life support until December.  They finally pulled the plug and ended it's misery.

SWG having no people is BS, especially if including Starsider

SWG is the only MMO where you see loads of people hanging around one area. Other MMOs still have people but they are all playing the game all over, and you see them in the chat window

SWGs main problem was too many servers, and lack of chat windows. Not many MMOs had more servers than SWG.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

If you think that SWG had a healthy population I would have to disagree with you. I played it until the end and the only server that was healthy was Star. Not one of the other servers had anywhere near that kind of population. Now if you had combined the rest of the servers in to one it would have been around the same population.

The game was not doing well. Time, SOE and a bad reputation had taken its toll. I still think it was a great game but sadly in terms of population it had seen much better days.

Originally posted by GreenHell

If you think that SWG had a healthy population I would have to disagree with you. I played it until the end and the only server that was healthy was Star. Not one of the other servers had anywhere near that kind of population. Now if you had combined the rest of the servers in to one it would have been around the same population.

The game was not doing well. Time, SOE and a bad reputation had taken its toll. I still think it was a great game but sadly in terms of population it had seen much better days.

It had also seen worse days too

They could not put it on to one server as in June 2011 there were 3 servers (Starsider, Chilastra and Farstar) locked as they were FULL (and that happened less than 2 weeks before its closure announcement). Obviosuly straight after the announcement it was not healthy - people bailed. SWTOR now rarely has 1 FULL server.

SWG could have lasted a lot longer, and should have shut down when 1 server was getting low. You only need 1 server anyway - players not spread thin over different servers.

The fact of it not being healthy is a misconception, and will probably plague SWTOR until the end of time, even if they add more systems to it. Once known as a failure will always be a failure if that problem gets sorted

You should have probably stopped playing on tansarii or gorath then.

SWG is the only MMO where you see loads of people hanging around one area. Other MMOs still have people but they are all playing the game all over, and you see them in the chat window

SWGs main problem was too many servers, and lack of chat windows. Not many MMOs had more servers than SWG.

Ok, SWG did HAVE people.  Just not many.  In the Pre-CU days, one be in the middle of nowhere and see 30-100 people in an hour, if you went into Coronet, Mos Eisley, and other populated areas you would see hundreds of people.  Buff lines have hundreds of people.  There were people everywhere you looked. 

So if you keep that in context, and you compare it to NGE-SWG, the servers were EMPTY.

In the final years seeing 20 people in a given area was rare, and most of them were AFK.  It was just brutal.  In Pre-CU I could be on Dath on the Lowca server and see that many people in a single party several times in an hour, commonly, and Lowca was not a heavily populated server.

After November of 2005 SWG was dead.  It was simply dead.  The servers were just dead.  I have never seen a bustling game empty so quickly.  By January of 2006 SWG had lost almost ALL of it's population.

Tecmo Bowl.

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

The mayan calender ends in 2012..

..because they knew that would be the year that there would no longer be SWG, the end of the sandbox world :D

Ok, SWG did HAVE people.  Just not many.  In the Pre-CU days, one be in the middle of nowhere and see 30-100 people in an hour, if you went into Coronet, Mos Eisley, and other populated areas you would see hundreds of people.  Buff lines have hundreds of people.  There were people everywhere you looked. 

So if you keep that in context, and you compare it to NGE-SWG, the servers were EMPTY.

In the final years seeing 20 people in a given area was rare, and most of them were AFK.  It was just brutal.  In Pre-CU I could be on Dath on the Lowca server and see that many people in a single party several times in an hour, commonly, and Lowca was not a heavily populated server.

After November of 2005 SWG was dead.  It was simply dead.  The servers were just dead.  I have never seen a bustling game empty so quickly.  By January of 2006 SWG had lost almost ALL of it's population.

/rolleyes BIG TIME. If you compare WOW to SWG, then SWG is empty. If you compare SWG to Vanguard, then SWG was booming, but overall after 8 years and all that it went through I would say the populations were quite healthy overall, and personally I did not care about being on a populated server, other than it meant servers or the game as a whole would not shut down. 

1 full server is all that is needed for everyone to have a good time, as it does not matter if there are other people filling up other servers, as they will not be able to join you

2006 was old news, and so was Lowca, that shut down in 2009. I do not deny populations were declining but between April and June 2011 populations were rising, for the first time in ages.

With all the free months over the years, none of them boosted the servers like it did just before the closure announcement. SOE finally solved the problem, with the free CTS

So, despite all that has happened populations in SWG were pretty healthy considering, unlike SWTOR which is declining already and fast, with only just over a month of being released.

SWG had healthy populations?  Come on...  That's just delusional.  Where were all these imaginary people you speak of?  I'm not comparing SWG to WoW, I'm comparing SWG to SWG.

In October of 2005 SWG was still viable and had packed servers.  By January of 2006, 3 short months later, SWG was an absolute ghost town and stayed one until the end.

Tecmo Bowl.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

SWG had healthy populations?  Come on...  That's just delusional.  Where were all these imaginary people you speak of?  I'm not comparing SWG to WoW, I'm comparing SWG to SWG.

In October of 2005 SWG was still viable and had packed servers.  By January of 2006, 3 short months later, SWG was an absolute ghost town and stayed one until the end.

True story.

Sorry SNG, but I went back to SWG on nearly every vet trial, and even at the VERY END (moreso at the end) even Starsider was dead.

Really, there's no need to spin it at this point friend, it was dead, it's closure proves it. Time for you to do what all of us Pre-CU vets have been told to do for many years... move on.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Maybe it's been said, it's too long a thread to check BUT...

If you "never played a single minute of NGE", what gives you the authority to even talk about it?

You weren't there, GTFO!