Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played a single minute of the NGE

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by Gravez

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by TUX426

The game was getting shut down regardless of what the populations were, whether it was 1 or 1 billion.

Bull shit lol. It's OBVIOUS you're just trolling lol.

Yeah I really have a hard time believing this guy is serious.

I am deadly serious. All I see are a bunch of people who hate SOE as have persoanl grudges against them as well as what the NGE did and will say anything to make SOE /SWG look bad. 

Kind of like you're doing with SWTOR?

No, if SWTOR got more featues and systems to tinker with than just adding story, even if not the same systems as SWG, then I'd be more happy with SWTOR, and keep playing at end game (and so would a lot of other people), but no matter what SOE did to SWG you would not go play it

Yeah because it sucked.

Yeah, to you, When I said "no matter" meant if they made it not suck for you, you still would not play it

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

I juat have one thing to say to cut through all the crazy.

If SWG was making money, even one thin dime, it would still be on.

Plain and simple. That's how $OE does it, Vanguard is still up, EQ is still up, hell MxO hobbled along much past it should have and only ended because the licensing needed renewed.

Smedley said himself in interviews that he thought about renewing and didn't even bother re-negotiating renewal of the license because it wouldn't be a "good business decision". That means, in simple terms, that he knew he wouldn't be making a profit post-launch of TOR. That it didn't make financial sense to continue. If it would make them a thin dime, they'd have kept moving forward.

To think there was ANY other reason than that to close SWG is so insane, it's unbelievable.  Real tinfoil hat stuff that makes Loose Change look like the History Channel.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

Originally posted by Shayde

I juat have one thing to say to cut through all the crazy.

If SWG was making money, even one thin dime, it would still be on.

Plain and simple. That's how $OE does it, Vanguard is still up, EQ is still up, hell MxO hobbled along much past it should have and only ended because the licensing needed renewed.

Smedley said himself in interviews that he thought about renewing and didn't even bother re-negotiating renewal of the license because it wouldn't be a "good business decision". That means, in simple terms, that he knew he wouldn't be making a profit post-launch of TOR. That it didn't make financial sense to continue. If it would make them a thin dime, they'd have kept moving forward.

To think there was ANY other reason than that to close SWG is so insane, it's unbelievable.  Real tinfoil hat stuff that makes Loose Change look like the History Channel.

Smedley did not know that he would not be making a profit post launch, he does not have a crystal ball and can not look into the future, he said so!

If that was the reason then it is dumb, because SWTOR did not end up being the super awesome MMO it was cracked up to be, and people have been bringing up SWG on the SWTOR forums, as SWTOR is just not cutting it, and is a shell of a game.This thread is an example. People would have gone back to SWG by now, but as it is not there and want to play a SW MMO then will have to keep playing SWTOR.

With the amount of players still playing in June and had more population than DCUO which is on only one server per platform/territory totalling four, I find it hard to believe that SWG would not make SOE any profit, unless LA decided to charge 10 times the fee of previous years, or there was that contract preventing SWG and SWTOR co-existing.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

The game was getting shut down regardless of what the populations were, whether it was 1 or 1 billion.

I am deadly serious. All I see are a bunch of people who hate SOE as have persoanl grudges against them as well as what the NGE did and will say anything to make SOE /SWG look bad. 

No, if SWTOR got more featues and systems to tinker with than just adding story, even if not the same systems as SWG, then I'd be more happy with SWTOR, and keep playing at end game (and so would a lot of other people), but no matter what SOE did to SWG you would not go play it

Yeah because it sucked.

Your Opinion.  It was fun for the people that played it from 12/1/05 to 12/15/11.

I played from 12-23-03 to 12-15-11 on multiple accounts and I wouldn't give that up.

SOE had announced that SW:G and ToR were going to co-exist at least for a while before any decisions were made by LEC and SOE.

SOE was Pushing Fan Faire and the things they were going to show off at the SWG panels....and then they get made to announce the Shut Down date just days after Pre-Reg for FF ended....

6 months leeway pre-shutdown announcement....out of character for SOE.  Look how fast MxO was shut down and F2P.

Look how little pop Vanguard has.  DC Online has less servers than SWG did.

It is a known fact that EA bought out the 2012 part of the SW:G LEC/SOE contract.  That has been confirmed by former SW:G Developers and Community managers. 

The Disgruntled Vets are just still butthurt because SOE and LEC didn't shut SW:G down in 2006 after the NGE disaster.

Or in 2005 after the CURB of April 15th.

Or in 2004 after JTL

Or after patch 9 or patch 5 or patch 3.

The NGE Haters and CU haters need professional Psychological Help.  Because being disgruntled for more than 5 years shows Proof of a Mental Illness.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by hipiap

Yeah because it sucked.

It is a known fact that EA bought out the 2012 part of the SW:G LEC/SOE contract.  That has been confirmed by former SW:G Developers and Community managers. 

Show me any kind of proof to this. You can't. 

I have facts for you:

Your game is gone

SOE didn't want to renew the license because it wasn't worth it.

SOE admitted that the NGE was all them.

People can provide links to these things and all you and the others can give are opinions and ridiculous conspiracy theories. Do you really think EA or Bioware gave two shits about SWG? 

SWG was like Fredo of the Corleone family it was a huge screw up and an embarrassment so they put it out of it's misery. I'd be ashamed to even admit I spent money on such a piece of crap game.

Yeah because it sucked.

I have facts for you:

Your game is gone

People can provide links to these things and all you and the others can give are opinions and ridiculous conspiracy theories. Do you really think EA or Bioware gave two shits about SWG? 

SWG was like Fredo of the Corleone family it was a huge screw up and an embarrassment so they put it out of it's misery. I'd be ashamed to even admit I spent money on such a piece of crap game.

None of those facts are facts at all.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

grtz, I guess.

I never played Ryzom.  woot.  do I get a grtz

I self identify as a monkey.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Real late to this thread, but here I go anyways.

I was kinda-sorta there on Summer'03 when SWG went live, but my rig at the time made it a slideshow.  I didn't really get to start playing heavily until I finally upgraded in Jan-Feb'04.  Stuck around for the Pre-CU, the CU, and the first 2 months of the NGE.

That said, I very much prefer the system in place with the Pre-CU days.  Wasn't quite fond of the CU, but I would've beared that burden anyday than the POS that the NGE is (well, was, since SWG is kaput now).

Stripping features, animations, depth, classes, and of course outright killing the once tight-knit, healthy community is not an "Upgrade" for any game.  They marginalized crafting (the very early seeds were sown with the "Rage of the Wookies" expansion pack and the Anti-Decay Kits) and elected to go the "Cool Lewtz" route and stuck a fork in the eye of the crafters and merchants, who were once just as important to the game as any combat oriented character.

Then there's the SOE sheisty tactic of implementing the NGE in total surprise right on the release of the "Trials of Obi-Wan" expansion pack.  The NGE stripped away gameplay elements that were plainly stated on the box of that exp.pack.

These and other shifty tactics drove away the vast majority of players.  I used to play on Ahazi, and we had a very large, active, tight-knit community.  The economy was healthy, I had a blast fighting on behalf of the Empire in PvE and PvP (clad in ST armor before the CU... try that?).

Anyways, the NGE destroyed it all.  Everyone left, Ahazi became literally an overnight ghost town.  There was a howl from players to have a roll-back, but SOE didn't care.  They were awaiting the WoW hordes to come storming in and replace us, and 6 years after the NGE hit the fan, it never happened.  "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush," I say, and SOE elected to cast away current, *paying* customers in hopes of some other people who have made no commitment to them previously with SWG.

The character building and development of the Pre-CU with the Skillpoint System (and CU which still kept it at its core) was on of the most flexible systems I've seen in ANY RPG, MMORPG or SPRPG.  Old school SWG also boasted THE best economy and crafting systems to coexist in the same game.  I have yet to see anything close to that after SWG and SWG's own NGE.

The NGE absolutely destroyed SWG.

As for the talk of playing SWTOR, f**k that POS.  That game is the epitome of what's wrong with the MMORPG genre.  I love old-school Star Wars (Original Trilogy > Prequel Related cr*p).  I love the franchise but I'm not willing to play an oversimplified, WoW-Carbon Copy, SPRPG that is SWTOR.

I'm an old fan of Star Wars, but that doesn't mean I'd settle for the POS that is (was) SWG NGE and SWTOR.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

Yeah because it sucked.

I have facts for you:

Your game is gone

Man, I would revise that statement because it looks kinda silly.

1. SWG as run by SOE is gone. Unless you have a keycard into SOE server HQ and boot the server on in the closet so you can get your fix - it would in fact be gone.

2. SOE DEVs and higher ups have admitted that the NGE was entirely their brainchild. LA just approved its advancement. Doesn't make LA a saint but every single byte of code was written and implemented by SOE.

3. The statement by Smedley whose banner you marched under while he was running the NGE and making all those promises, whose word was to be believed - states that SOE could have renewed it but they chose not to. SOE in the past have shown that IF they want to do something then they do it despite the ramifications.

Those facts are facts because they are conditions that exist currently and whose existence are backed up with official statements and in the case of SWG being gone - a simple visit to the forum or doubleclicking that icon on your desktop.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Gotta love SOE apologists.  Even after the debacle that led into the CU, the NGE, SOE not fixing the game, the lies to the customers, throwing away *paying* customers hoping to get someone else, etc., etc., and lastly, shutting the game down (though SWG needed to be shot in the head in late '05).  Even after all that, there's SOE apologists.  Talk abound Blind Faith! image

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Originally posted by kefkah

Yeah because it sucked.

I have facts for you:

Your game is gone

Man, I would revise that statement because it looks kinda silly.

1. SWG as run by SOE is gone. Unless you have a keycard into SOE server HQ and boot the server on in the closet so you can get your fix - it would in fact be gone.

2. SOE DEVs and higher ups have admitted that the NGE was entirely their brainchild. LA just approved its advancement. Doesn't make LA a saint but every single byte of code was written and implemented by SOE.

3. The statement by Smedley whose banner you marched under while he was running the NGE and making all those promises, whose word was to be believed - states that SOE could have renewed it but they chose not to. SOE in the past have shown that IF they want to do something then they do it despite the ramifications.

Those facts are facts because they are conditions that exist currently and whose existence are backed up with official statements and in the case of SWG being gone - a simple visit to the forum or doubleclicking that icon on your desktop.

Other than 1 (although I do dream about it still and feels like I have just played it when I do), the others are still not facts, as no one knows why they chose not to renew the licence, the reason being that that EA had a contract that stated that SWG and SWTOR could not co-exist, and if they renewed the contract then EA would have sued LA and SOE, and would be bad for the business.

What they say, is never the EXACT truth, as they could not extacly say that EA had them over the barrel, and the fact of SOE giving 6 months notice does not make sense, if they were 100% behind it, therefore LA (and EA) were involved.

If SOE were the brainchilds of the NGE, then why would Julio Torres (LA) take the flak for it in that G4 video? He was in the video because, at the time, he was proud of it, and loved the focus of the NGE. LA were involved and made it happen. Of course SOE did it as they were the ones maintaining the game. LA got SOE to do it.

Originally posted by Warmaker

Gotta love SOE apologists.  Even after the debacle that led into the CU, the NGE, SOE not fixing the game, the lies to the customers, throwing away *paying* customers hoping to get someone else, etc., etc., and lastly, shutting the game down (though SWG needed to be shot in the head in late '05).  Even after all that, there's SOE apologists.  Talk abound Blind Faith! image

I put a lot of time and money into the SWG and even SWG NGE was still a living breathing world than any other MMO. SWG NGE in 2005 was a pos but SWG NGE by 2011 was awesome.

Also SWTOR now makes SWG look like a work of genius

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Amazing isn't it?! I wish to God I had customers like them...but then again, I'm not so certain they're "real".

I think SOE noticed early on that people like Super and Hip were great assets in defending ANYTHING they (SOE) did. They weren't employees who had to watch what they said, they were "customers" who could say anything they wanted and get away with it, post false information, lie about real facts, deflect attention - basically anything they wanted. SOE exploited that by encouraging them to say more and allowed them to get away with pretty much anything, as long as they were defending SOE. SOE made them feel "special" and is largely to blame for their denial.

Or...they're nothing more than viral plants. Hired "posters" to defend SOEs reputation by trying to smear the true facts. It's more common than you'd think. Either way, they're wrong. The facts speak for themselves. No lies, no gossip, no rumors, no spin will negate the FACTS.

Amazing isn't it?! I wish to God I had customers like them...but then again, I'm not so certain they're "real".

I think SOE noticed early on that people like Super and Hip were great assets in defending ANYTHING they (SOE) did. They weren't employees who had to watch what they said, they were "customers" who could say anything they wanted and get away with it, post false information, lie about real facts, deflect attention - basically anything they wanted. SOE exploited that by encouraging them to say more and allowed them to get away with pretty much anything, as long as they were defending SOE. SOE made them feel "special" and is largely to blame for their denial.

Or...they're nothing more than viral plants. Hired "posters" to defend SOEs reputation by trying to smear the true facts. It's more common than you'd think. Either way, they're wrong. The facts speak for themselves. No lies, no gossip, no rumors, no spin will negate the FACTS.

You are the one who is smearing and twisting the facts. I have no love for SOE as always found them to be a pain in the neck, but there are no facts to indicate SOE are to blame at all for anything to do with SWG. It is all pointing to LA

SOE are more friendly and reasonable when dealing with any of their other games, but when it comes to SWG they were extremely strict. LA were pulling their strings, and did not dare do anything to cross them. Lucas is too overprotective of the SW IP. Even Activision have said that they have had problems in dealing with Lucasarts

You are the one who is smearing and twisting the facts. I have no love for SOE as always found them to be a pain in the neck, but there are no facts to indicate SOE are to blame at all for anything to do with SWG. It is all pointing to LA

SOE are more friendly and reasonable when dealing with any of their other games, but when it comes to SWG they were extremely strict. LA were pulling their strings, and did not dare do anything to cross them. Lucas is too overprotective of the SW IP. Even Activision have said that they have had problems in dealing with Lucasarts

SOE was the DEVELOPER! They wrote ALL the code. FACT!!!!

LA leased them the "Star Wars" license to profit off of. They wrote ZERO lines of code. FACT!!!

I assure you, LA didn't come up with pink flying ewoks with purple hearts, zombies or dipping your 'berries' in chocholate. They simply approved it.

LA leased them the "Star Wars" license to profit off of. They wrote ZERO lines of code. FACT!!!

I assure you, LA didn't come up with pink flying ewoks with purple hearts, zombies or dipping your 'berries' in chocholate. They simply approved it.

That is FACTS, but what they did they were told to do by LA, and most of it probably was by SOE after the NGE once LA abandoned it, including the flying ewoks. But it was LA who trashed the game, and SWTOR is even more simple of a game than the NGE was. SWTOR is great to look at but that is all, it is not much of a game and Mass Effect 3 will kill it when it releases as people will be able to play a BW game with its story based quests and multiplayer options, without paying a monthly fee. SWTOR is closer to the NGE than pre-CU

Who cares about flying ewoks? I had no problem in SOE (or LA) doing it, as did not need to use them and forgot they existed, until other players used them, but that was OK as long as it was the season for it. If not then I had a dim view of the players in game, not SOE. People in the SW universe could have had them too, but the movies do not show that part of the SW universe.

The zombies was from Death Troopers, the book, SOE just brought it in from that, and was SW canon. Again it was stuck in the corner of the Dathmir and easily avoided if need be. Personally I liked it, it was extra content.

These things you just use to bash the game, and did not even affect you or not, as you were not even playing the game.

The things you are not taking into account is the fact that the Matrix was dead and they gave 2 months notice for that.  6 months does not make sense. Also the fact that SOE announced the closure of the game just before the 45 free days expired. If it was down to being dead it would have been more wiser to wait a month and see if people subbed or not following the unintended marketing. The 45 days + the free transfered meant players were able to come back and transfer from Gorath (or wherever) and on to populated servers. The reason why the servers were doing good and populations were on the rise again, and then SOE had to lock down 2 more servers to transfers as they were full. Basically the timing of the closure announcement and the 6 months notice does not make sense, if the game was dead, and SOE were full control.

Originally posted by superniceguy:

The things you are not taking into account is the fact that the Matrix was dead and they gave 2 months notice for that.  6 months does not make sense. Also the fact that SOE announced the closure of the game just before the 45 free days expired. If it was down to being dead it would have been more wiser to wait a month and see if people subbed or not following the unintended marketing. The 45 days + the free transfered meant players were able to come back and transfer from Gorath (or wherever) and on to populated servers. The reason why the servers were doing good and populations were on the rise again, and then SOE had to lock down 2 more servers to transfers as they were full. Basically the timing of the closure announcement and the 6 months notice does not make sense, if the game was dead, and SOE were full control.

None of the Haters take this into account. 

MxO is a great example of How SOE shuts down Games they have 100% control over.

And Vanguard is a great example of how SOE ignores Games they Hate and have 100% control over...but that have a paying subscriber base (even when lower than the SW:G Population).

SW:G wasn't Handled well by Julio and Nancy "too much reading" McIntyre and Cao and Freeman in 2005.

People like Pex and Dak and Dot and Teesquared made an effort to make the game Fun for the players that hung in there after 2005.  I'm proud of my 8 and 7 year Vet Tags.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

The fact that TOR launched on the very eve of SWGs death says it all (yes early acess is for all intents and purposes nothing but the start of staggered access).

Couldn't even wait for the corpse to go cold...

Amusing theory Tux.

I'm assuming you missed the Lucas Developers that worked with SOE Austin on this game.  Names in the Credits even.  All the expansions as well.  Some even posted on the Forums.

Oh wait...but then you'd have to admit that just maybe you are wrong.

You never could do that.

Amusing theory Tux.

I'm assuming you missed the Lucas Developers that worked with SOE Austin on this game.  Names in the Credits even.  All the expansions as well.  Some even posted on the Forums.

Oh wait...but then you'd have to admit that just maybe you are wrong.

You never could do that.

I have no problem admitting when I'm incorrect or flat out wrong Hip. NONE!

I'm not wrong here.

Name the CODERS Lucas Arts had working on SWG daily. Please. Name one LUCAS ARTS employee that directly wrote code for the game and please provide a link with some form of proof to back up your claim.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by superniceguyI have no love for SOE as always found them to be a pain in the neck, but there are no facts to indicate SOE are to blame at all for anything to do with SWG. It is all pointing to LA

Oh my god, he's full of stars.

LA LICENSED THE GAME. That's it. They approved storylines to not break canon (and loosely I mght add.. pink ewoks got APPROVED).

They didn't code one line of code. Ever. Period. But you claim it is THEIR fault.

You have to just be a forum troll, because there is nobody who can say what you say and be serious. There is nobody who can look objectively or even subjectively at the facts and take that away from it. There is no way you are serious. You've tipped your hand. Well played, bravo.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

Originally posted by Shayde

Originally posted by superniceguyI have no love for SOE as always found them to be a pain in the neck, but there are no facts to indicate SOE are to blame at all for anything to do with SWG. It is all pointing to LA

Oh my god, he's full of stars.

LA LICENSED THE GAME. That's it. They approved storylines to not break canon (and loosely I mght add.. pink ewoks got APPROVED).

They didn't code one line of code. Ever. Period. But you claim it is THEIR fault.

You have to just be a forum troll, because there is nobody who can say what you say and be serious. There is nobody who can look objectively or even subjectively at the facts and take that away from it. There is no way you are serious. You've tipped your hand. Well played, bravo.

I never said LA code the game.

SOE code the game as instructed by LA

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Everything people complained about the NGE was exactly the same when they went to other mmo's and pretty much everything released today.

NGE didnt affect the core mechanics of the game, people just didnt give it time.

SWG had the best crafting, best player housing, huge open worlds, tons of features, a great market, and so much more. Every game has its small flaws and huige issues. I just dont think SWG got a fair shake. And the fact they didnt advertise the game realy hurt.

Id resub to SWG in a heart beat not even debating it if they reopened SWG. It was just a much more indepth and fun game for me. I dislike these dumbed down mmo's of today. Dont get me wrong, i missed the pre-cu. BUT SWG was still a great game.

• orsonstfuorsonstfu Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by Onomas

Everything people complained about the NGE was exactly the same when they went to other mmo's and pretty much everything released today.

NGE didnt affect the core mechanics of the game, people just didnt give it time.

SWG had the best crafting, best player housing, huge open worlds, tons of features, a great market, and so much more. Every game has its small flaws and huige issues. I just dont think SWG got a fair shake. And the fact they didnt advertise the game realy hurt.

Id resub to SWG in a heart beat not even debating it if they reopened SWG. It was just a much more indepth and fun game for me. I dislike these dumbed down mmo's of today. Dont get me wrong, i missed the pre-cu. BUT SWG was still a great game.

There is no way you are seriously trying to tell anyone with a brain larger than a split pea that the NGE didn't change the core game mechanics.

Try telling that to me and my main a Creature Handler / Bio-engineer. My character was all but removed from the entire game.

The core mechanics of the game all entirely changed. The ONLY thing that wasn't effected were the dynamic harvesting nodes. Thats it.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Originally posted by orsonstfu

Originally posted by Onomas

There is no way you are seriously trying to tell anyone with a brain larger than a split pea that the NGE didn't change the core game mechanics.

Try telling that to me and my main a Creature Handler / Bio-engineer. My character was all but removed from the entire game.

The core mechanics of the game all entirely changed. The ONLY thing that wasn't effected were the dynamic harvesting nodes. Thats it.

creature handler wasnt a core mechanic of the game, was a class. NGE and CU changed combat,UI, and class structure. Planets, cities, buildings, quests, crafting, resources, market, creatures, and several other things stayed the same. And SWG didnt have nodes for resources ;) So for you maybe losing your class was a game killer, i lost many of the classes my 8 characters had at one point.

And here is a list of things that changed:

http://swg.wikia.com/wiki/New_Game_Enhancements