Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played a single minute of the NGE

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by Suvroc

So they said they passed your feedback on? What else did you expect them to say? It's not like they're going to say "thanks for your email but we're simply going to delete your feedback" - which is very likely what did happen!

They could have said something like "SWG is gone and not coming back and focus is on SWTOR"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by superniceguy

Originally posted by Kazara

Originally posted by Esquire1980

As the wife says, "It's dead, Jim" seeing that signature pic I copyed from these forums many years ago in fact.  It really doesn't matter anylonger, does it?  It's gone and it's not coming back.

I emailed LA saying that SWTOR is no where a good as SWG and would like it back, and they passed my feedback on to the relevant people. SWG can come back by popular demand, but if people think there is no hope and do not let LA know then it will not come back.

LOL! I don't think this will be happening ever. How well did the 'petition'  to save SWG work out after the closure announcement was made? How many even bothered to sign it?

$OE/LA  will not be bringing SWG back. it is gone - let it go.

It was the best MMO out there, and deserves to be brought back.

The petition did not work at the time because there was all hope on SWTOR, now it is not that great as expected they are now realising why people went all out to try and save it, and the peition was not a wasted effort.

Before Dec LA were ignoring me, but now in Jan when they are seeing the decline on SWTOR they are not and realising that SWG had more attraction than they thought.

Something is going to be done - either SWG is brought back or SWTOR changes to be more like it. Preferably SWG is brought back, and then leave SWTOR as it is, otherwise it will be like another NGE

i don't realistically think that very many would be interested in having SWG revived using the NGE format, and where there is no real demand there is unlikely to be any real action, even if they were willing to try, which is doubtful. The NGE was an unmitigated disaster that is so well documented i wonder why some refuse to see it for what it is, im sure SOE would rather ignore it ever happened, all things considered, even less of an incentive for them to rehash old mistakes. SWG's Pre CU version is probably the only version that would be likely to draw any attention anyway, and at this point, its debateable whether it would even be enough. Time to face facts im afraid, SWG that was is dead and buried, you can go visit the grave and throw flowers, but.. i don't think anyone is going to lend you a shovel.image

Originally posted by Phry

As the wife says, "It's dead, Jim" seeing that signature pic I copyed from these forums many years ago in fact.  It really doesn't matter anylonger, does it?  It's gone and it's not coming back.

I emailed LA saying that SWTOR is no where a good as SWG and would like it back, and they passed my feedback on to the relevant people. SWG can come back by popular demand, but if people think there is no hope and do not let LA know then it will not come back.

LOL! I don't think this will be happening ever. How well did the 'petition'  to save SWG work out after the closure announcement was made? How many even bothered to sign it?

The petition did not work at the time because there was all hope on SWTOR, now it is not that great as expected they are now realising why people went all out to try and save it, and the peition was not a wasted effort.

Before Dec LA were ignoring me, but now in Jan when they are seeing the decline on SWTOR they are not and realising that SWG had more attraction than they thought.

Something is going to be done - either SWG is brought back or SWTOR changes to be more like it. Preferably SWG is brought back, and then leave SWTOR as it is, otherwise it will be like another NGE

i don't realistically think that very many would be interested in having SWG revived using the NGE format, and where there is no real demand there is unlikely to be any real action, even if they were willing to try, which is doubtful. The NGE was an unmitigated disaster that is so well documented i wonder why some refuse to see it for what it is, im sure SOE would rather ignore it ever happened, all things considered, even less of an incentive for them to rehash old mistakes. SWG's Pre CU version is probably the only version that would be likely to draw any attention anyway, and at this point, its debateable whether it would even be enough. Time to face facts im afraid, SWG that was is dead and buried, you can go visit the grave and throw flowers, but.. i don't think anyone is going to lend you a shovel.image

People just seem to think the SWG shut down in Dec 2011 is the same NGE in 2005. It is not.

At the end of the day SWG (at Dec 15th 2011) was far > SWTOR

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by Phry

/agree.

I actualy had a hour long tel-con with Lorin Jameson (Deadmeat) after the launch of C6CD.  He did tell me he brought CU up on their internal servers thinking about a "classic Server" and then said it was "so buggy" that it couldn't be saved, at least in his estimation.  DM did say, for some unstated reason, that Pre-CU was not an option and could never be brought back.  T2, several months before the closure announcement also took some of my posts and pms and "went to the board" with an idea of a "classic CU server" also and was shot down like a drone over Iraq.  SOE or LA, or both, had no interest in even trying at T2's point in time.

Super, I agree with you that even the final version of NGE was more playable than all the other AAA MMOs combined, but you really need to remember how it actualy was the last year.  Even on Bria it was hard to get a heroic group going, it was hard to get a group going for invasions, etc etc etc.  There was just not the players left.  They had migrated on.  I loged into SWG just to run around my city or walk thru my bunker that had 1400 items in it.  I no longer was playing my 4 crafters due to the fact that there was no reason, no sales.  If I did do something in game, it took me 1/2 hour to even get ready dual boxing so I could buff my jedi to kingdom come to be able to solo 99% of the in-game content.  It just wasn't actualy fun longer.  SWG was such a community oriented game that when the community wasn't, the game pretty much wasn't as well.

Wife, who played SWG since about 2006 is playing WoW after trying TOR and not making it thru the 30 days that came with the box.  So is 4 or 5 that was in my SWG guild.  (Really sad there as I just won't ever play WoW)  I mess around in STO, occasionly, as I have a lifetime and STO really had it's own version of an NGE in the last 2 months CHANGING the game for F2P.  Looking with a reserved apprehention for Secret World and actualy looking a bit forward to Dawntide to come back up for open beta this month or next month.  You guys should give it a look see.  It's not quite like SWG (as their plan was to make a game more like UO with the full PVP/full loot) but it has about 40 profs, skillboxes, housing, citys, deco in and outside the houses, crafting you can fail at, ground and water (instead of ground and space), just a lot of the old Koster systems that were included in both UO and SWG.   It's planed on being pretty resonable for costs also for launch.  Free downloads with somewhere around $90 for a lifetime or $12 a month sub.  Might be somewhere to go for all of us. 

I seroiusly doubt if SWG will ever have another chance at anything.  It just didn't have the draw while it was up, after CU and NGE and really evident after C6CD when the population fell to around 30K on 25 servers.  If it did, it would of never been shut down in the 1st place.  But good luck on the try.

If SWG comes back I am not too worried about pre-CU or CU - they are history, and has no place any more, although would be good if they replace the professions with the 32 professions though, but pre-CU or CU without all the content that was in on Dec 15th I can live with the NGE iconic 9 professions.

Most people did not bother with SWG because it was not being  marketed enough, and maybe those that did were just waiying on SWTOR. Also between April and June the servers were getting fuller.

Now that we know what SWTOR is about, I think people would have seeked out SWG and give it a(nother) try if it stayed active. If they managed to get it to F2P, it certainly would be a hit.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

If SWG comes back I am not too worried about pre-CU or CU - they are history, and has no place any more, although would be good if they replace the professions with the 32 professions though, but pre-CU or CU without all the content that was in on Dec 15th I can live with the NGE iconic 9 professions.

You're right....the CU and Pre-CU game are history and have no place any more...just like the NGE you want back so badly.

Seriously...get over it. Move on. Let it go. It's dead. Whatever you need to hear to understand that it's never coming back. It wasn't a lack of marketing that made the game fail, it was SoE.

Originally posted by TUX426

You're right....the CU and Pre-CU game are history and have no place any more...just like the NGE you want back so badly.

Seriously...get over it. Move on. Let it go. It's dead. Whatever you need to hear to understand that it's never coming back. It wasn't a lack of marketing that made the game fail, it was SoE.

SOE managed to keep game running for 6 years after NGE. If it was SOE the game would have been closed long ago. It was LA that killed the game with the NGE. SOE managed to provide wonders with what was left

• Lost_BothanLost_Bothan Member Posts: 27

If people really want others to "get over it" then perhaps the topics and arguements between opinions should be tabled?

There were many different factors that  "made it fail" to different people. Some blame LA, some blame SOE, some blame those who smeared the game for years after it became something different to them, some blame new games. If you have issues with the fact that people still love swg ( NGE or Pre CU wise)  and that the topic still exists perhaps you should "move on" as youd say if it bothers you?

Originally posted by Lost_Bothan

If people really want others to "get over it" then perhaps the topics and arguements between opinions should be tabled?

There were many different factors that  "made it fail" to different people. Some blame LA, some blame SOE, some blame those who smeared the game for years after it became something different to them, some blame new games. If you have issues with the fact that people still love swg ( NGE or Pre CU wise)  and that the topic still exists perhaps you should "move on" as youd say if it bothers you?

SoE is to blame for the games failure, that is my stated fact. They were the developer, they were responsible, they controlled the staff, they controlled their developmental priorities, they controlled what I feel was neglected and broken.

I'm not asking for the game to come back, I'm thrilled it's finally gone tbh. Why would I "move on"? I enjoy debating the massive failure of the game. As a life long star wars fanatic, it takes complete stupidity to **edit** up a star wars game - having been an active part of SWG, I find it absolutely astounding that they (SOE) found a way to FAIL at it and until the day I die, I'll enjoy debating the topic.

So please, bring it up every day. I LOVE debating who/what f'd up a Star Wars game. I have nothing to get over. Those asking SOE to reconsider, do lol.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

SOE managed to keep game running for 6 years after NGE. If it was SOE the game would have been closed long ago. It was LA that killed the game with the NGE. SOE managed to provide wonders with what was left

If $OE did not allow the NGE abomination to go live (it was $OE's baby), not only would the Pre-NGE game have received loads of in-game content over the course of six years, it would have maintained a playerbase that would justify the development of further expansions too.  SWG was on six years of life support and was little more than a dev noobling/intern training program.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Oh man. I guess it' the new generation of SWG vets that need to be told to get over it. Sorry SNG, it ain't commin back.

If they wouldn't roll back to retain 250,000 people, they won't reactivate it to regain the measley 5000 peeps.

It's gone man.

SWG was on six years of life support and was little more than a dev noobling/intern training program.

I can think of no greater proof to that than this video you posted on another site Kaz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GepeTEsEwGs&feature=player_embedded

SoE is to blame for the games failure, that is my stated fact. They were the developer, they were responsible, they controlled the staff, they controlled their developmental priorities, they controlled what I feel was neglected and broken.

I'm not asking for the game to come back, I'm thrilled it's finally gone tbh. Why would I "move on"? I enjoy debating the massive failure of the game. As a life long star wars fanatic, it takes complete stupidity to **edit** up a star wars game - having been an active part of SWG, I find it absolutely astounding that they (SOE) found a way to FAIL at it and until the day I die, I'll enjoy debating the topic.

So please, bring it up every day. I LOVE debating who/what f'd up a Star Wars game. I have nothing to get over. Those asking SOE to reconsider, do lol.

There are no facts to state that SOE is to blame for its failure. It is either SOE and LA together or just LA alone. It is Julio Torres (of LA) promoting the NGE, and loving all what he has to say. SOE are just going with flow. LA are bigger than SOE, and can not afford to do anything to annoy them. Even Activison said that LA were a pain to work with. If LA are so awesome then SWTOR should have been a succes but looking at the poll from this site, the majority of people are not resubbing at the end of the 30 days. There is already a Mass Exodus.

When I said earlier than pre-CU/CU is dead, and implied the NGE is active, I was not meaning it to be just SWG, although if SWG were to come back it would be the NGE as it has not been modified. NGE has killed the preCU versions. NGE is based off WOW, and LOTRO and all other MMOs are like it too. SWTOR is NGE 2.0. All mainstream MMOs these days just have basic classes and a expertse system, none will have the customization of pre-CU/CU again.

SWTOR = NGE with a legacy quest series revamped - Beast Master (which is in other MMOs too) - Player Cities and housing - free roam space - decent crafting - storyteller/chronicles type system. Other than space and crafting which are dumbed down, there is nothing in SWTOR to replace the missing stuff. SWTOR is the NGE with a lot less stuff. There would not be talks of people quitting or not having things to do once hit 50 at this stage. There will always be the odd few but not the mass load that has been happening with SWTOR. "it takes complete stupidity to **edit** up a star wars game" looks like LA have done it again. SWTOR is not looking a success at this stage

The NGE is the best of the lot, if you can get past the major changes of 2005.

The NGE was not a fail. What caused the game to fail was that people could not get over the NGE. SWG in the end was better than everything else out there.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

There are no facts to state that SOE is to blame for its failure. It is either SOE and LA together or just LA alone. It is Julio Torres (of LA) promoting the NGE, and loving all what he has to say. SOE are just going with flow. LA are bigger than SOE, and can not afford to do anything to annoy them. Even Activison said that LA were a pain to work with. If LA are so awesome then SWTOR should have been a succes but looking at the poll from this site, the majority of people are not resubbing at the end of the 30 days. There is already a Mass Exodus.

When I said earlier than pre-CU/CU is dead, and implied the NGE is active, I was not meaning it to be just SWG, although if SWG were to come back it would be the NGE as it has not been modified. NGE has killed the preCU versions. NGE is based off WOW, and LOTRO and all other MMOs are like it too. SWTOR is NGE 2.0. All mainstream MMOs these days just have basic classes and a expertse system, none will have the customization of pre-CU/CU again.

SWTOR = NGE with a legacy quest series revamped - Beast Master (which is in other MMOs too) - Player Cities and housing - free roam space - decent crafting - storyteller/chronicles type system. Other than space and crafting which are dumbed down, there is nothing in SWTOR to replace the missing stuff. SWTOR is the NGE with a lot less stuff. There would not be talks of people quitting or not having things to do once hit 50 at this stage. There will always be the odd few but not the mass load that has been happening with SWTOR. "it takes complete stupidity to **edit** up a star wars game" looks like LA have done it again. SWTOR is not looking a success at this stage

The NGE was not a fail. What caused the game to fail was that people could not get over the NGE. SWG in the end was better than everything else out there.

The game got shut down, it failed. 

Originally posted by Gravez

It did not get shut down because it failed, it got shut down because of SWTOR. SWG and SWTOR could not co-exist

April-June the game was picking up again, following the free cts, servers were filling up. It could have been the 45 days but I would like to think people were playing it because they liked it. If they did not like it and were not willing to sub at the end of the free time, then it just seems a waste of time to me, especially with the amount of people that were playing, as people managed to fill up 3 more servers to full capacity, making 4 in total with a few more at medium - Light.

If the populations did indeed decline after the 45 days were up then it would be much easier to "get over" as the reality of it being a "failure" would be a lot clearer and they could have easily done so still giving plenty of notice for its closure. but that was not the case, they announced its closure before people had the chance to resub, and so it did not matter to them, the game was being shut down regardless of population. None of my accounts were set to renew, I was going to renew whichever accounts I needed after they expired.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

It did not get shut down because it failed, it got shut down because of SWTOR. SWG and SWTOR could not co-exist

April-June the game was picking up again, servers were filling up. It could have been the 45 days but I would like to think people were playing it because they liked it. If they did not like it and were not willing to sub at the end of the free time, then it just seems a waste of time to me, especially with the amount of people that were playing, as people managed to fill up 3 more servers to full capacity, making 4 in total with a few more at medium - Light.

If the populations did indeed decline after the 45 days were up then it would be much easier to "get over" as the reality of it being a "failure" would be a lot clearer and they could have easily done so still giving plenty of notice for its closure. but that was not the case, they announced its closure before people had the chance to resub, and so it did not matter to them, the game was being shut down regardless of population. None of my accounts were set to renew, I was going to renew whichever accounts I needed after they expired.

It got shut down because the game was doing horrible for years and it wasn't worth it for SOE to renew the license. Stop living in fantasy land.

April-June the game was picking up again, servers were filling up. It could have been the 45 days but I would like to think people were playing it because they liked it. If they did not like it and were not willing to sub at the end of the free time, then it just seems a waste of time to me, especially with the amount of people that were playing, as people managed to fill up 3 more servers to full capacity, making 4 in total with a few more at medium - Light.

It got shut down because the game was doing horrible for years and it wasn't worth it for SOE to renew the license. Stop living in fantasy land.

I am not in fantasy land. That is what you want to believe. Considering what it went through and that other MMOs have far less servers than SWG, it was doing incredibly well, and not horrible at all. If it was they would have only given 2-3 months notice of its closure instead of 6 months.

Looking at the servers in SWTOR now, SWGs servers (ast at June 2011) looked far healthier than SWTORs now. SWG had 4 full servers, SWTOR currently does not even have one. There will be merges in SWTOR soon.

SWTOR is what you call doing horrible - It has not been out a month yet, and had Bioware behind it, SOE no where in sight - how could it go wrong? I never thought it would, but it did.

SWGs forums were mainly full of talk of gameplay, and people enjoying it, and how to do this how to do that.. SWTOR forums are mainly full of talk of quitting / critiscing the game

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I am not in fantasy land. That is what you want to believe. Considering what it went through and that other MMOs have far less servers than SWG, it was doing incredibly well, and not horrible at all. If it was they would have only given 2-3 months notice of its closure instead of 6 months.

Looking at the servers in SWTOR now, SWGs servers (ast at June 2011) looked far healthier than SWTORs now. SWG had 4 full servers, SWTOR currently does not even have one. There will be merges in SWTOR soon.

SWTOR is what you call doing horrible - It has not been out a month yet, and had Bioware behind it, SOE no where in sight - how could it go wrong? I never thought it would, but it did.

SWGs forums were mainly full of talk of gameplay, and people enjoying it, and how to do this how to do that.. SWTOR forums are mainly full of talk of quitting / critiscing the game

It got shut down primarily due to the fact it:

A) Sucked balls in pretty much every single aspect of the game. It had shocking pvp and shocking pve, which kind of limited it's audience somewhat once would say. It could get over that if it was a primo sandbox... it wasn't. It was just a hole in the air, well a hole with good crafting (but a shite economy).

B) It was an albatross around the neck of SOE. Most mmorpg gamers laugh at the mere mention of SOE these days but even with that being the case SWG was such a joke to most in the community that it probably made even SOE cringe at the constant trashing the game got.

C) For an IP as massive as Star Wars it was an abject failure. Yes other games also have piss poor subs but then they don't have the massive crutch an IP like Star Wars can give them. Still even with that crutch it failed hard in terms of population.

SWTOR offered SOE and LA a way out of the mess the game was. It was the final nail in the coffin but it was far from what put it in the coffin in the first place.

PS: Did you actually ever read the SWG offical forums? They have been a joke for years now and if anything indicative of the ig community in the closing years of the game then that is a sad, sad reflection indeed.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

A) Sucked balls in pretty much every single aspect of the game. It had shocking pvp and shocking pve, which kind of limited it's audience somewhat once would say. It could get over that if it was a primo sandbox... it wasn't. It was just a hole in the air, well a hole with good crafting (but a shite economy).

B) It was an albatross around the neck of SOE. Most mmorpg gamers laugh at the mere mention of SOE these days but even with that being the case SWG was such a joke to most in the community that it probably made even SOE cringe at the constant trashing the game got.

C) For an IP as massive as Star Wars it was an abject failure. Yes other games also have piss poor subs but then they don't have the massive crutch an IP like Star Wars can give them. Still even with that crutch it failed hard in terms of population.

SWTOR offered SOE and LA a way out of the mess the game was. It was the final nail in the coffin but it was far from what put it in the coffin in the first place.

PS: Did you actually ever read the SWG offical forums? They have been a joke for years now and if anything indicative of the ig community in the closing years of the game then that is a sad, sad reflection indeed.

You can pretty much say the same for SWTOR

SWG had far more to offer than SWTOR.

Of course I read the forums, was on there virtually daily. It had its occasional momemts of "joke" times, but the majority of the time was pretty reasonable. Thes forums and the official SWTOR forums are more of a joke than the SWG forums.

Last year SWG got to number 5 of the top MMOs of 2010 - Something that would not be achievable if it "sucked balls"

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454

Please,  don't even compare the population of servers of SWTOR and SWG.  Most of them tonight, a Thurday evening, are rated as heavy while swg was lucky to get its sole active server, Starsider, up to heavy every once and awhile.  Contrary to what you hope and what mnay others on this site say and believe, SWTOR is still doing just fine.  Don't believe me?  Take a look at the screen shots of tonight's server loads.  See, I can actually back up what I say with facts and proof, while you...don't.  Its just wild specualtion and accusations with you.  Now, really, get over it and move on.

imageimageimageimageimage

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Ginaz

Please,  don't even compare the population of servers of SWTOR and SWG.  Most of them tonight, a Thurday evening, are rated as heavy while swg was lucky to get its sole active server, Starsider, up to heavy every once and awhile.  Contrary to what you hope and what mnay others on this site say and believe, SWTOR is still doing just fine.  Don't believe me?  Take a look at the screen shots of tonight's server loads.  See, I can actually back up what I say with facts and proof, while you...don't.  Its just wild specualtion and accusations with you.  Now, really, get over it and move on.

Where are all the Full servers gone?

Starsider, Chilastra, Flurry and Farstar were all full in June 2011, and was fact, there are screenshots on the official SWG forums to show that. In April 2011 only Starsider was full, the free cts was working and getting the populations sorted. Pretty darn good for 8 years

WOWs servers were full for years. Christmas 2010 I could not create charcaters on the server I created back in 2004, because it was FULL. SWTORs popuilations is pathetic if it can not hold FULL servers at this stage with less than one month and all playing in the first 30 free days. By the end of the year they will all be Light at the rate they are dropping.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,454

Starsider, Chilastra, Flurry and Farstar were all full in June 2011, and was fact, there are screenshots on the official SWG forums to show that. In April 2011 only Starsider was full, the free cts was working and getting the populations sorted. Pretty darn good for 8 years

WOWs servers were full for years. Christmas 2010 I could not create charcaters on the server I created back in 2004, because it was FULL. SWTORs popuilations is pathetic if it can not hold FULL servers at this stage with less than one month and all playing in the first 30 free days. By the end of the year they will all be Light at the rate they are dropping.

You do realize the Holidays are over and people are back to school/work and that I took those screen shots earlier this evening, a Thursday?  People had more time to play over the holidays, which probably accounts for full WoW server back in 2010, as well as the last expansion being released around that time.  Other than that, most of WoWs server have NOT been full for years.  I played WoW since it released and haven't seen full servers for quite some time. 

And I highly doubt swg's servers, other than Starsider, were full for more than a few days the past couple of years.  I provided evidence that the SWTOR servers are still quite healthy while you have provided none other than yor own words that swg had a healthy population.  Screen shot or it didn't happen.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

You do realize the Holidays are over and people are back to school/work and that I took those screen shots earlier this evening, a Thursday?  People had more time to play over the holidays, which probably accounts for full WoW server back in 2010, as well as the last expansion being released around that time.  Other than that, most of WoWs server have NOT been full for years.  I played WoW since it released and haven't seen full servers for quite some time. 

And I highly doubt swg's servers, other than Starsider, were full for more than a few days the past couple of years.  I provided evidence that the SWTOR servers are still quite healthy while you have provided none other than yor own words that swg had a healthy population.  Screen shot or it didn't happen.

Despite the holidays being over WOW has had constant Full servers and I saw they gave free transfers quite frequently so people can move off the full servers, like what SOE did with  SWG in April. Considering the game has launched it should be fresh and exciting and people playing as much as possible to save having to sub at the end of the 30 days. After Jan 20th populations is going to drop loads

I did provide proof it is all on the official SWG forums, go have a look. It is easy to get proof for SWTOR as it is all currently active. The 4 full servers were full from May to June, and then only plummeted after the announcement of its closure

The simplest thing for me to find was this post:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=1215935

stating that Chilastra and Flurry had gotten full and Starsider was still full. They would not have done that for just a few days. Flurry was close to being full, as it also reached Heavy Status, the other 3 that SOE locked were Very Heavy / Extremely Heavy

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Of course I read the forums, was on there virtually daily. It had its occasional momemts of "joke" times, but the majority of the time was pretty reasonable. Thes forums and the official SWTOR forums are more of a joke than the SWG forums.

Last year SWG got to number 5 of the top MMOs of 2010 - Something that would not be achievable if it "sucked balls"

But I am not commenting on SWTOR and it's merits or lack of them. Whether that game is good or bad (I personally don't like it but then I am heavily biased towards ffa sandbox mmorpgs) doesn't matter one iota when considering the flaws of SWG.

The simple fact of the matter is that SWG was not good enough and did not do well enough with the IP. Whether other games succeed or fail has no impact upon that fact.

With regards to the forums. First of all it is not the best idea to compare a single game offical forum to an open to everyone generic mmorpg forum. One would hope from the start that the former was more "focused" and that it had a "kinder" community. It would be far more advisable to compare it to other games official forums. With that being the case, as someone who has been on said forums and on other games offical forums, for me it had perhaps the worst community.

I'm sorry but the SWG forum posting community is perhaps the most myopic, ill informed and down right delusional I have ever encountered within the mmorpg genre. It was the game worlds equivalent of RAWK that's how bad it was.

Last year it got to number 5 no doubt because a few nostalgia fueled nutters macro'd the poll to death. But that doesn't matter because only a screaming lunatic would consider the game good because it did well in one poll.  But then you wouldn't be doing that would you right, right?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

But I am not commenting on SWTOR and it's merits or lack of them. Whether that game is good or bad (I personally don't like it but then I am heavily biased towards ffa sandbox mmorpgs) doesn't matter one iota when considering the flaws of SWG.

The simple fact of the matter is that SWG was not good enough and did not do well enough with the IP. Whether other games succeed or fail has no impact upon that fact.

With regards to the forums. First of all it is not the best idea to compare a single game offical forum to an open to everyone generic mmorpg forum. One would hope from the start that the former was more "focused" and that it had a "kinder" community. It would be far more advisable to compare it to other games official forums. With that being the case, as someone who has been on said forums and on other games offical forums, for me it had perhaps the worst community.

I'm sorry but the SWG forum posting community is perhaps the most myopic, ill informed and down right delusional I have ever encountered within the mmorpg genre. It was the game worlds equivalent of RAWK that's how bad it was.

Last year it got to number 5 no doubt because a few nostalgia fueled nutters macro'd the poll to death. But that doesn't matter because only a screaming lunatic would consider the game good because it did well in one poll.  But then you wouldn't be doing that would you right, right?

SWG was good enough if people just embraced the changes, and rolled with it, like they are doing with SWTOR. SWTOR and NGE are no different, other than those who were no longer playing SWG are now viewing SWTOR as a fresh new game. If people treated NGE as a fresh new game, and stayed with it, then it could have grown into something wonderful, but the huge drop in subs made LA ditch SWG and focus on SWTOR which ended up being a shell of a game of the NGE (SWTOR just has the looks, SWG had the content and lots of it and some will never be able to get into SWTOR due to way the game has been created therefore SWTOR will not last that long). Coinsidering what SOE were left to deal with, they did a great job, I doubt Bioware would have been able to keep it running for 6 years if they were left to deal with it - they are MMO noobs

The poll was not macro'd this site has too many restrictions in place to make that happen even if you wanted to. You can not just create loads of accounts as it is not allowed, and then if you do you have to be a regular user and post for a while to be able to vote / do much, but as soon as you do all your accounts get permanently banned. So that poll has more merit than anything else