Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Endgame? Really?

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Sepulcher

Originally posted by stealthbr

It's called a "rational discussion". If YOU can't back up what YOU say, I couldn't give a damn about your argument. Read this, it may help:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/how-to-have-a-rational-discussion/

I almost laughed myself out of my chair at the link you provided.  That is you arguement?  I counter with a link to the guy who made your evidence.  http://thoughtcatalog.com/author/brandon-scott-gorrell/  Seems like a scholar and scientist to me!  LOL

LMAO... the speculations lol

I actually did lauggh IRL.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

Do you even have a clue as to what that guy did to get to 50?

Obviously you don't. There's a thread about it in the SWTOR forums. He said he wanted to become world first. He said he skipped all VO's. He did it with a friend. He said he knew all the quests beforehand. He said he had been playing his class for a couple of months. He said he did nothing but quests. Seriously, bro, give up.

Ok you win.

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by JPTX

Dude theres a group of about 15 people on my vent talking about how most of the time they just spacebar the cutscenes now, there all in there 40's and this group i speak of are typical everyday mmo gamers.

There total in-game play time is roughly 50 to 60 hours and there almost at lvl cap.

Don't hate the player hate the game...

LOL, we are talking about an average joe here, not your guild buddies. You think that an AVERAGE JOE will pull out the same 60 hours that someone with all the qualities I listed above did? LOOOOOOOL try again.

They are average joe's and yes they are also guild buddies. Yes i think there will be a group of mmo noobs that run around with no clue and will take long to level but thats not the average gamer...

I think the average gamer is people just like me and you and the guys in my guild, and what i'm saying is they will all be 50 by the weekend and there total IN-GAME play time will be roughly 60 hours.

Woah woah woah...

They'll be 50 by this weekend, having played 60 hours?  That's 60 hours in 4 days?  Or even if you're including early access, that's 60 hours in about 9 days?  

You're saying that the AVERAGE JOE gamer plays 6-15 hours PER DAY?  

I'm average.  I have a family.  I'm lucky if I can play 6-15 hours PER WEEK!

That would be about 6.6 hours a day for 9 days and yes that would be about average for a new release.

Sorry, we'll just have to disagree here.  I think your idea of an average gamer is incorrect.  Granted, I have no industry data that I can point at to back it up, so it's all conjecture, but if there are 1 million players, and 500,000 of them are clustered around the median, I find it hard to believe that there are 500,000 people plyaing > 6 hours per day, every day, even for this new release.

My group of friends/guildies typically play 2-3 days per week (4-5 during a launch week such as this), and 2-3 hours per day (regardless of launch or not... I play from about 10pm - Midnight or 1am, after my family is in bed).  That's 11 hours per week (which is almost exactly what I'd estimate I've played so far), scaling back to 6 hours per week after the first couple of weeks.  At that rate, it'll take me 8 weeks to reach end game, even if it really is only a 60 hour game.  Or if the beta testing info (100-200 hours to 50) is more accurate, it'd take me 20 weeks, or 5 months, to reach 50.  This is actually pretty consistent with how long it took me to reach 50 in, for instance, LotRO, which had much less voiceover/cinematics.

Now even if I'm way below average, and even if you cut all of my estimates in 1/2, we're still talking 4-10 weeks to reach 50... not 4 days...

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Sorry, we'll just have to disagree here.  I think your idea of an average gamer is incorrect.  Granted, I have no industry data that I can point at to back it up, so it's all conjecture, but if there are 1 million players, and 500,000 of them are clustered around the median, I find it hard to believe that there are 500,000 people plyaing > 6 hours per day, every day, even for this new release.

My group of friends/guildies typically play 2-3 days per week (4-5 during a launch week such as this), and 2-3 hours per day (regardless of launch or not... I play from about 10pm - Midnight or 1am, after my family is in bed).  That's 11 hours per week (which is almost exactly what I'd estimate I've played so far), scaling back to 6 hours per week after the first couple of weeks.  At that rate, it'll take me 8 weeks to reach end game, even if it really is only a 60 hour game.  Or if the beta testing info (100-200 hours to 50) is more accurate, it'd take me 20 weeks, or 5 months, to reach 50.  This is actually pretty consistent with how long it took me to reach 50 in, for instance, LotRO, which had much less voiceover/cinematics.

Now even if I'm way below average, and even if you cut all of my estimates in 1/2, we're still talking 4-10 weeks to reach 50... not 4 days...

I am with you on this. I am in a guild of about 20 average gamers, and maybe two of them manage to play more than 2 hours a day. Work, family, holidays...

Powergamers will weed themselves out of this game like they do every game. There are already a healthy number of 50s rolling around. I would say the average level of our guild is in the high teens.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Most people have jobs. Maybe not most gamers who luv in their moms basement eating cheetos, but that's probably a minority of the people playing this game.

Either way it doesn't matter. This discussion is pointless. Some will rush, others won't, just like every other game ever.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by Naral

I am with you on this. I am in a guild of about 20 average gamers, and maybe two of them manage to play more than 2 hours a day. Work, family, holidays...

Powergamers will weed themselves out of this game like they do every game. There are already a healthy number of 50s rolling around. I would say the average level of our guild is in the high teens.

I'm just going off what's going on in my guild. Head start people charge the first week and some even took a friday off of work to play all weekend.

So you could very well be right maybe the average joe might not play 6 hours a day but i would guess the ones that did head start have.

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

Originally posted by dubyahite

Most people have jobs. Maybe not most gamers who luv in their moms basement eating cheetos, but that's probably a minority of the people playing this game.

Either way it doesn't matter. This discussion is pointless. Some will rush, others won't, just like every other game ever.

And your right this discussion is pointless...

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by Snaylor47
    Two raids, planet dedicated to end-game World PvP and soloing, and a pletera of heroic/nightmare level dungeons.

Instance, Instance, Instance and more instance, Oh and dailies and collect shinies.

Thats your End Game folks!

WHOOPIE!!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Given the fact that the game was hugely hyped, that EA-players have mostly had a full weekend to play already and the fact that many people will have extra free time to play during the "holiday period", it's probably not unreasonable to expect that 5-10% of the playerbase will reach level-cap in the first 14 days after the official launch.

A hyped fan of TOR (single, but day job) will easily rack up 50 hours of play in a week.

Not counting launch day sales, if there were 1 million pre-orders then that would translate to an absolute minimum of 50-100K at level cap within 2 weeks of official launch (12/20).

The OP does not have long to wait for a definitive answer to his question :)

• zimmy910zimmy910 Member UncommonPosts: 190

Originally posted by Leethe
    It took all of 10 seconds to type "swtor endgame" on my blackberry to pull up a bioware interview about exactly what endgame entails. You can't do the same?

I guess it's more fun to create a threadnaught on an MMO forum :D.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Well at least the OP is in the right kind of game, where the endgame and not the journey matters.

Yes there is endgame, i'm sure. Lots of "heroics" and 1-2 raids already. Enough to keep people interested for ~2 months. Does it have an appealing endgame? Probably yes, for the people which were still grinding instances in WoW / Rift at TOR's launch. It really seems everything will be the same, grind instances for gear, then grind raids for better gear, then harder raids for even better gear. People will cry for damage meters, healing add-ons etc. Yes the PvP planet, that will get old in 2 weeks, will just become a grind and not a fun thing (yea it's just my oppinion and i cannot "prove" it). Kinda bored of the model. The game will give the people who like WoW/Rift a new scenery, with a few changes, and will offer them probably 2-3 months of fun gameplay, and there's nothing wrong with that. In my opinion the game won't have that "lasting" appeal.

What might happen is that people might get really bored if they grind those cutscene-heavy instances over and over again. I've only played 6 days in beta, only did the lvl10 flashpoint. There, already two of the four people who randomly grouped for the instance were raging "click faster, click thru cutscenes, let's finish it fast!!!", When i said i was there for the first time and wanted to watch the story, one guy just left. I can easily imagine how, even if i won't ever act like that guy, i would also be bored if i run thru the same cutscenes for the 10th time. Not to mention the rage that came from the decisions took in dialogues "NOOO!! I Wanted To KIll Her!!! FU GUYS!!!"  Yes i know i had a bad group and not all people are like that etc. but dunno, that really brought back memories from 2 years ago when i was still playing WoW. I don't want to go through that again, really.

Long story short, i can put my money on the fact that TOR will be content-heavy at endgame, just not the kind of content i want anymore but that's a totally different story.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Loekii

Originally posted by VIIKING

More than WOW had when it first come out.

I would hope so, seeing how that was back in 2004, and the market has matured greatly since then.

Comparing a product in 2012, to a product in 2004 is just silly.    That is like saying that the cell phone that was just released, is better than a cell phone in 2004.  

We can't compare a new game to a seven year old one with any more validity than we can compare (new game 7 years ago) to (new game today).

Argument by analogies are always suspect to some degree, particularly when (as in this case), you can slant them in whatever direction you need to in order to fit your premise.

Actually we can compare a game that launched in 2004 to a game that launches in 2011 because both games are available for purchase.  

Wrong.

The 2011 version of vanilla wow is available for purchase. It is not possible to play the 2004 vanilla version. That's two VERY different versions.

As for the topic:

Asking about or commenting on the endgame - nothing wrong with that. I don't know why some of you guys gets so worked up over the issue. Endgame is the most important part of any mmo, since that's where most of the playtime is spent.

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by simmihi

Well at least the OP is in the right kind of game, where the endgame and not the journey matters.

Yes there is endgame, i'm sure. Lots of "heroics" and 1-2 raids already. Enough to keep people interested for ~2 months. Does it have an appealing endgame? Probably yes, for the people which were still grinding instances in WoW / Rift at TOR's launch.

I see your point but you must agree you do need an end game!  I assume by "Journey" you mean level to X, the problem is while that may be enjoyable its not sustainable and offers no reason to play in the long run outside of expansions. 

I'm not saying the gear treadmill is any better, but atleast its something.  I'm hoping GW2 or TSW throw something new into the tired old end game model of AAA MMOs.

• bloodbonebloodbone Member Posts: 142

Thanks all for your posts and help :) ... I'm glad to hear there is an end game in place even if its the tired old model. 

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

Originally posted by bloodbone

Thanks all for your posts and help :) ... I'm glad to hear there is an end game in place even if its the tired old model. 

if you are hoping to enjoy endgame, do yourself a favor and  find another game, instances are horribly bland, and boring, stiff and broken animations combat doesnt help it either, so far i didnt enjoy single instance, and wouldnt want to run any of them for second time, heroics are same instances with more hp damage, nothing new... its not yours wow heroic where fights are different atleast in slight way and usually in more than slight

average swtor player is about 5 times worse than average wow player

considering i played healer in beta, and just how easy and simple healing in swtor is, every healer i met in live is just sad excuse of a player

there is endgame, but f2p games have more enjoyable end game than this does.. and for this kinda price tag it will never be worth it

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I'm glad Bioware introduced such innovative ways to experience an MMORPG with your maxed out character.  For a few pages there, I thought this was going to be the same old, same old raid and loot fest.

Whew.

• FireForkFireFork Member Posts: 64

End game? Swtor have more content "end game" than any other mmos at release had/have

and ffs the game is 3 days old.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by bloodbone

However, I’ve seen a few shocking user reviews today that claim there is no end game…… at all.  That’s not to say a crappy end game like a few flashpoints and 1 raid but literally no end game what so ever. 

Worldwide there must be what? 100 people at level 50 now? I think I'd wait a bit before passing judgement.

What you're seeing is a new MMO fan phenomenom: some people, many of whom spend time here, are more interested in role playing as a reviewer of MMOs than actually playing MMOs. They seem to play just enough (or at least they're good a pretending that they have) to establish some sort of credibility and then it's a race to be the first to print.

And every fan of MMO reviewing knows that you just can't be taken seriously if you're too positive: you'll just be dismissed as a fanboi. Too negative is fine though: that just means the unwary will think your harshness comes from having strict standards developed after decades of MMOing.

It's a derivative world, and this site is all about derivatives. Spend too much time here, take things that are written at face value and you'll come to the inescapable conclusion that all MMOs, without exception, suck ... eggs.

Needlepoint and knitting...now those are worthwhile activities. How many negative reviews of knitting do you ever see, eh?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

They have said several times that they are going to keep adding to the game/story, thus no end game.

• wesleyartswesleyarts Member Posts: 43

There is no end-game content. 

Save you money for GW2

• wesleyartswesleyarts Member Posts: 43

Do you even have a clue as to what that guy did to get to 50?

Obviously you don't. There's a thread about it in the SWTOR forums. He said he wanted to become world first. He said he skipped all VO's. He did it with a friend. He said he knew all the quests beforehand. He said he had been playing his class for a couple of months. He said he did nothing but quests. Seriously, bro, give up.

Dude funboys like you makes me sick. You are actually soooo afraid that people could find out how bad SWTOR  sucks that you do nothing but spend your lazy spoiled teenager time going from forum to forum, thread to thread stalking those speaking up the true.

So hate me already:

SWTOR has the worst graphics in a mmo in the last 5 years. The models ugly, animations are clumsy, the models run like robots. The environment  colors are alike neons of a mid-level whore house. 

There is no end-game content in SWTOR. Shut up and suck it up!

SWTOR is gong f2p in 6 months.

My handcap friend make level 50 in 50 hours using only his good hand to play.

My advice, do what I did, cancel your pre-order. I canceled mine after playing the BETA. I already unistalled that crap from my PC.

Save you money for GW2

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by FireFork

End game? Swtor have more content "end game" than any other mmos at release had/have

So what is it then?

..Cake..

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by sgel

Originally posted by FireFork

So what is it then?

Takes 5 minutes to find it out, there is sticky on front page.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• orangerascalorangerascal Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by wesleyarts

Dude funboys like you makes me sick. You are actually soooo afraid that people could find out how bad SWTOR  sucks that you do nothing but spend your lazy spoiled teenager time going from forum to forum, thread to thread stalking those speaking up the true.

So hate me already:

SWTOR has the worst graphics in a mmo in the last 5 years. The models ugly, animations are clumsy, the models run like robots. The environment  colors are alike neons of a mid-level whore house.

Except is doesn't. It's graphics are comparible to rift in max settings (I played both), but not as good as say Aion or GW2 will be. Don't confuse art style with Graphics .... Tattooine and Alderan were amazingly beautiful.

There is no end-game content in SWTOR. Shut up and suck it up!

2 operations and heroic flash points disagree with you.

SWTOR is gong f2p in 6 months.

SW is predicted to sell 3M copies by the end of the first month. That's enough to pay for the development cost. Everything else is profit for EA (aside from the licensing fee). Even retaining 1m customers buys a lot of content dev.

My handcap friend make level 50 in 50 hours using only his good hand to play. 

My handicap friend can leap buildings in a single bounce. It's amazing how our 'friends' always receive the greatest hyperbole. 

My advice, do what I did, cancel your pre-order. I canceled mine after playing the BETA. I already unistalled that crap form my PC

It's not a game for everyone. But it's still a good game.

Save you money for GW2

Or why not get both and start supporting the MMO industry, I know I will. 

My answers in red. If you don't like it, don't play it. But it's a good game and fun. The story of your class quest alone is worth the price even if you only play for 1 month.

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

Awesome read and great to find this thread on the morning when my newspaper doesn't arrive. Gave me a good laugh. :)

Anyone with a shred of knowledge about TOR knows there IS endgame, which has been mentioned earlier in this thread. If the endgame is the same as WoW/Rift/Etc. is debatable, personally I feel the flashpoints make WoW instances as dull as a heap of dung (though less smelly as it's digital). And no, not bashing WoW. For what it is, it was a great game to plenty of people for a long while.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to log in and sit through a 40min queue and then finally reach level 50. Have fun. :)