Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Endgame? Really?

Comments

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

Originally posted by Isasis

end game in this game is amazing. Much better than any other MMO out there.

There are zones that if players ignore, enemy npcs take it over and the zone then needs to be retaken by players. But the players can do things to help the war effort, and drive away the enemy forces. This is much much better than the typical kill 50 enemies, and then the enemies respawn and the next player does the same exact thing. Here, you kill 50 enemies and it has a permanent effect on that area...a very dynamic endgame, which is much better than the static...never changing endgame in most MMOs.

A quick look on many sites would have revealed what endgame is in this game.

Sounds like Rift...

Beat me to the punch.

Pathing Rift Invasion... meet Isasis.  Isasis... meet pathing Rift Invasions

• VIIKINGVIIKING Member Posts: 42

More than WOW had when it first come out.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by bloodbone

Hi all,

I never played in the Beta and still haven’t purchased the game.  However I have been following the development for years and while SWTOR doesn’t appear to be the game I was hoping for it still seemed worth giving it a go. 

However, I’ve seen a few shocking user reviews today that claim there is no end game…… at all.  That’s not to say a crappy end game like a few flashpoints and 1 raid but literally no end game what so ever. 

Frankly after $150 million dollars and years of development I would expect… no demand some kind of end game with launch.  End game is what really distinguishes single player rpg’s and co-op games from MMO’s. 

Anyways I was hoping someone could confirm or deny whether there is any end game at all.  For all I know those “reviews” I read were simply trolls making stuff up.  

What's the point in buying something you already know you are not looking for. If you like to waste money send some my way.

I can' believe people pay for the priveledge to confirm they don't like something. Complaining on the boards is free. You do not have to buy the game for that.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

Originally posted by Ambros123

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

Originally posted by Isasis

end game in this game is amazing. Much better than any other MMO out there.

There are zones that if players ignore, enemy npcs take it over and the zone then needs to be retaken by players. But the players can do things to help the war effort, and drive away the enemy forces. This is much much better than the typical kill 50 enemies, and then the enemies respawn and the next player does the same exact thing. Here, you kill 50 enemies and it has a permanent effect on that area...a very dynamic endgame, which is much better than the static...never changing endgame in most MMOs.

A quick look on many sites would have revealed what endgame is in this game.

Sounds like Rift...

Beat me to the punch.

Pathing Rift Invasion... meet Isasis.  Isasis... meet pathing Rift Invasions

Oh yeah. I forgot this game was more static than WoW...

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by bloodbone

Hi all,

I never played in the Beta and still haven’t purchased the game.  However I have been following the development for years and while SWTOR doesn’t appear to be the game I was hoping for it still seemed worth giving it a go. 

However, I’ve seen a few shocking user reviews today that claim there is no end game…… at all.  That’s not to say a crappy end game like a few flashpoints and 1 raid but literally no end game what so ever. 

Frankly after $150 million dollars and years of development I would expect… no demand some kind of end game with launch.  End game is what really distinguishes single player rpg’s and co-op games from MMO’s. 

Anyways I was hoping someone could confirm or deny whether there is any end game at all.  For all I know those “reviews” I read were simply trolls making stuff up.  

Today is launch day and people are already complaining about "end-game"(hate that term by the way)? 

I don't understand why all these donkies feel the need to rush to max level as fast as possible and then bitch when they have nothing to do...image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by gaou

ill copy what i posted in another thread:

as for end game activities that have been listed:

2 operations with 3 difficulty lvls(normal, hard, and nightmare)

15 flashpoints.  3 are open at end game with 2 difficuly settings and the other 12 can be made end game lvl by playing them in hard mode

warzones

open world pvp with objectives on ilum

FFA pvp in outlaws den on tatooine -  this could involve settling disputes with other guilds, hosting pvp events amongst same faction or maybe even setting up a tournament that pits players from either faction against one another with random draw. things like that (edit: just to be clear, they dont give you tools to set up your own tournments in-game. that was just a possible suggesting. this would have to be organized on the forums or something)

crafting

space missions

rolling alts

dailies

finding any missed datacrons and lore objects for the codex(without the use of a guide because wouldn't take very long with one)

feel like im missing something but cant think of it

ummm... since when did we ever consider "heroic" FP a form of end-game?  Never does the WoW community ever relate their heroics dungoens to end-game content.

Crafting?  Hmmm dpends on how it's done.  If going doing some "heroic" FP or some operation to farm some mats to craft something then that's not end-game.  It's jsut a different colored hamster wheel.

Rolling alts?  Ohhhh yes, people are just sooo thrilled over lvling an alt who has a linear lvling route that 2/3 of the quests are repeated.

Dailies?  WoW proved just how fed up people are with dailies, that is just a mechanic to entrap players.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by VIIKING

I would hope so, seeing how that was back in 2004, and the market has matured greatly since then.

Comparing a product in 2012, to a product in 2004 is just silly.    That is like saying that the cell phone that was just released, is better than a cell phone in 2004.  

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    This thread was about the existence of endgame, not the quality of it.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Comparing it to wow is appropriate in this sense. Hen wow launched it had no raids. Today it has a very large amount if raiding. It's the most popular raiding game after all.

TOR is launching with two raids and has nowhere to go but up. Who knows where thu will be in 1, 5, or 10 years.

Most games dot launch with very much endgame at all, I think it's an appropriate comparison. It gives a sense of perspective l, considering wow is very heavy on raiding at endgame with many different options for guilds.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by dubyahite

Comparing it to wow is appropriate in this sense. Hen wow launched it had no raids. Today it has a very large amount if raiding. It's the most popular raiding game after all.

TOR is launching with two raids and has nowhere to go but up. Who knows where thu will be in 1, 5, or 10 years.

Most games dot launch with very much endgame at all, I think it's an appropriate comparison. It gives a sense of perspective l, considering wow is very heavy on raiding at endgame with many different options for guilds.

I'm not a WoW fan, but they did have a raid.

UBRS!!! STRATH!!! SCHOLO!!!!  (and yes back then it was considered end game)

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by dubyahite

In beta there was only one guild that cleared ally he raids. There is a very good video of it at darth hater. Can't get a link a I'm on my phone, just google darth hater - relying justice endgame roundtable. They walk through the bosses and give impressions.

The fights they show are from a very old build though.

Oh that video has a fun little chest thumping comments section too... it's cute.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Loekii

I would hope so, seeing how that was back in 2004, and the market has matured greatly since then.

Comparing a product in 2012, to a product in 2004 is just silly.    That is like saying that the cell phone that was just released, is better than a cell phone in 2004.  

We can't compare a new game to a seven year old one with any more validity than we can compare (new game 7 years ago) to (new game today).

Argument by analogies are always suspect to some degree, particularly when (as in this case), you can slant them in whatever direction you need to in order to fit your premise.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Icewhite

We can't compare a new game to a seven year old one with any more validity than we can compare (new game 7 years ago) to (new game today).

Argument by analogies are always suspect to some degree, particularly when (as in this case), you can slant them in whatever direction you need to in order to fit your premise.

using his analogy think about this say at&t offers there new top of the line phone today with just your basic features but no wifi, no gps, no expandable memory, no way to change your wallpaper or ringtones aside from the preset ones BUT it has a 3d projector on it.. does this phone deserve mass praise cause of this one feature? or should  people be critical cause it ignored many basic features every phone over the past years have had..

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by sanosukex

using his analogy think about this say at&t offers there new top of the line phone today with just your basic features but no wifi, no gps, no expandable memory, no way to change your wallpaper or ringtones aside from the preset ones BUT it has a 3d projector on it.. does this phone deserve mass praise cause of this one feature? or should  people be critical cause it ignored many basic features every phone over the past years have had..

What relevancy does this have to SWTOR? Is SWTOR the "new phone without basic features"? If you think so, then lol.

Originally posted by stealthbr

What relevancy does this have to SWTOR? Is SWTOR the "new phone without basic features"? If you think so, then lol.

it IS.. and if you don't think so then thats a matter of opinion but you obviosuly haven't played many MMOs then

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Two raids, planet dedicated to end-game World PvP and soloing, and a pletera of heroic/nightmare level dungeons.

Have we seen a number of neutral reviews of those elements?

I am hearing good comments about Iluim (Pvp), but what about the other things you mention. 

Play the game yourself and find out...

Reviews are overrated

Maybe.  But you'll notice that when something really is good in the gaming industry, like Skyrim, for example, it gets rave reviews. The mmorpg industry produces some very piss poor games and folks who are avid fans - the kind that actually spend the time to come here and defend their game, for example, may not be the best sample to judge the game.

If you get even a few bad reviews of a game, from gamers who play mmorpgs and love the genre in general, then yes, something is definitely wrong. 

People need to rationalize why they like something.  It's like religion...it could be a very strange, goofy religion, and those who love it just love it - plain and simple.  It doesn't make it good.

A lot of folks are bashing SW: TOR - that says a lot.

• RavenmaneRavenmane Member Posts: 246

Plenty to do end-game.  No worries.  As for the guys who are capped already, they're idiots who just wanted bragging rights for their e-peens.  Hope they have fun waiting for the rest of us.

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."
  • SepulcherSepulcher Member Posts: 216

Actually we can compare a game that launched in 2004 to a game that launches in 2011 because both games are available for purchase.  The time an item is created is irrelevant, all that matters is what it offers.  SWTOR is competing with games that already exist, it doesn't get a pass just because it is new.  You don't release a phone today that has features from 20 years ago and then say well that other phone company had 20 years to work on their phone so it isn't fair that we judge this phone harshly, give them 20 years to catch up and it will be just as good.

The fact is people want the game to succeed so they defend it with nonsense.  When someone goes to a store or goes online to buy a new game they look for the one that has the features they want at the time of sale.  If game A has a feature and game B does not it doesn't matter how long it took game A to get the feature.  What matters is that game A has the feature in the first place.

People are too happy being spponfed half completed pieces of crap because they want to have something to fight for.  They invested their money into it so they must defend it, it is purely ego.  No one wants to be the one who bought the lemon, so they come up with excuses on why its great.  Then a few months down the line the admit they bought a lemon and try to pass it off as some kind of epiphany.

At launch swtor should have had every feature in game already that its customer base wanted.  They should have invested more time and/or money to get it done.  If they couldn't get it done in time for when they felt it needed to launch that is not an excuse.  They simply said "this game is good enough" and released it.

If people choose not to buy it or to not resub it is because they do not find the value in a purchase at this time.  Its not because they are a bunch of quitters or EZmode newbs, or whatever other nonsense i see floating around.  If you have to defend your game from criticism because you fear it will fail, then frankly your game sucks.  It isn't your job to defend a game.  The game company should be improving it as fast as possible to draw in the player base they are targetting.  If they fail to do this, it is their own fault.

The quality of a game is judged on how profittable it is.  Anything else is purely speculation and subjective opinion.  You can think you are some enlightened genius because you play a particular niche game, but seriously MMOs do not take "skill" they take time.  Taking 5 years to get to level 2 does not make a game hard, it makes it time consuming.  People like to pretend they are smart because they aren't playing with the popular kids.

Bottom line swtor is competing with wow and if they can't bring the same features to the party they can't expect to pull in the same numbers.  WoW is successful for a reason, you can hate on the "kids" who play it all you want, doesn't stop them from crushing their competition and having the most features.

I wish swtor the best, but they don't get a pass just because they are new and people have invested their hope into it.  They need to bust their asses and produce results that make money.  Time will tell.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Do me a favor.  Sit down and list out all of the possible features you have ever seen or wanted to see in an MMO.  If you come up with less than two hundred or so, you aren't really trying.

Now start crossing out half of those features, knowing that you have neither infinite budget nor infinite time.  Try to build a game that has enough of a base to launch with.

Say you pick fifty or so things you want to emphasize.  You get a workable, launchable game--not perfect, but do-able within a set budget and time frame.

Now hand that list to your nearest buddy--and ask him what's missing.

That's essentially what this forum does.  No single game has ever, or will ever, launch with even a majority of the possible features, there have been too many MMOs and too many ideas tossed into the pool, and it gets worse with every passing year.  So this forum, instead, fishes for the negatives, what's missing, what can be critiqued.  And this forum attacks that problem...rigorously.

Be aware that your list is going to fail many, possibly even most, customers and that all of them will complain about something.

Be aware that like the past seven or eight years, no game that you launch will be considered a success.

What's you next proposed step?  You cannot have infinite budget or infinite time.  Give up?

Or accept the reality that your game cannot be for everyone and carry on?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

it IS.. and if you don't think so then thats a matter of opinion but you obviosuly haven't played many MMOs then

Check my profile. That's how many MMO's I have played. What basic feature does TOR not have that the devs have stated they are not working on for the next update?

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by Ravenmane

Plenty to do end-game.  No worries.  As for the guys who are capped already, they're idiots who just wanted bragging rights for their e-peens.  Hope they have fun waiting for the rest of us.

Oh I'm sure they don't mind waiting, "Plenty to do end-game" anyway.. :P

..Cake..

Do me a favor.  Sit down and list out all of the possible features you have ever seen or wanted to see in an MMO.  If you come up with less than two hundred or so, you aren't really trying.

Now start crossing out half of those features, knowing that you have neither infinite budget nor infinite time.  Try to build a game that has enough of a base to launch with.

Say you pick fifty or so things you want to emphasize.  You get a workable, launchable game--not perfect, but do-able within a set budget and time frame.

Now hand that list to your nearest buddy--and ask him what's missing.

That's essentially what this forum does.  No single game has ever, or will ever, launch with even a majority of the possible features, there have been too many MMOs and too many ideas tossed into the pool, and it gets worse with every passing year.  So this forum, instead, fishes for the negatives, what's missing, what can be critiqued.  And this forum attacks that problem...rigorously.

Be aware that your list is going to fail many, possibly even most, customers and that all of them will complain about something.

Be aware that like the past seven or eight years, no game that you launch will be considered a success.

What's you next proposed step?  You cannot have infinite budget or infinite time.  Give up?

Or accept the reality that your game cannot be for everyone and carry on?

ill just respond with read Sepulcher's post right above yours pretty much sums up my entire point

Check my profile. That's how many MMO's I have played. What basic feature does TOR not have that the devs have stated they are not working on for the next update?

already been discussed many many times over, read the metacritic thread if you want examples also read Sepulcher's post couple above to see the point I'm trying to make cause he stated it perfectly

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Yes of course, devs managed to miss so many features over multi-year development but they're all going to be in on the

"next update"... of course!

Dude, I take it that you like the game and want to defend it... but there's a point where fanboism ends and the drama/comedy starts...

..Cake..

already been discussed many many times over, read the metacritic thread if you want examples also read Sepulcher's post couple above to see the point I'm trying to make cause he stated it perfectly

Sepulcher's post has no specifics. I'm not going to search around the forums so that you can prove your point. Your argument, you should back it up with reasonable evidence or else your so called analogy holds no ground.