Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars The Old Republic Fail

Comments

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by headphones

in fairness to the OP, he's not complaining about the sub fees, but that he can't use the free play time WITHOUT giving credit card details up front. that's not such an invalid argument. i think he's trying to say he doesn't want to pay to get the one month free after already paying for the box.

i think some people have jumped on him as though he expected a f2p...

I think most understand, but this is how every MMO works at launch so getting mad about it is incredibly irrational.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Originally posted by AsatrusFire

I just purchased the Star Wars Old Republic and I'm pig biting mad. See the game doesn't come with a play card. You get 29 days for free but only if you subscribe to a reoccurring billing cycle or purchase a play card. The moment you register for the game the clock begins to tick on the so called free time. Now even games like WoW and Rift offer you free trials so you can check out the game before you buy but not Star Wars. There is nothing on the package that indicates that you have to buy anything more to play either.

Now imagine how excited your kid will be to open the new game, spend an hour downloading it only to realize he can't play. If you've maxed out your credit card buying Christmas presents as a lot of people do or you simply don't have a credit card you're not going to be the most popular parent on the block.

I shouldn't have to make this kind of commitment to try a new game when everyone else is giving away real free game time.

There are going to be a lot of heartbroken  kids come Christmas morning and a lot of angry parents.

Vitually every MMO I have ever played is like this.  You need to set up the billing system before you actually play, free month or not.  The clock starts ticking as soon as you register for all of them, and None (that I know of anyway) had free trials when the game first released.

You must be new. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

This is the exact quote from their site:

"You have 29 days of play time starting 12.20.2011. You must sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code before you can play. If you sign up for a recurring subscription, you will be billed automatically at the end of your current remaining play time."

so?

who reads fine print? the natural expectation is you get a 30-day free trial (29's a bit stingy, isn't it?). it's like going into a friends-with-benefits relationship and being told you need to marry her first. just for, you know, appearances...

i, for one, expect to put in my credit card details as soon as EA decide they'd like to go for the global market, but i can see the OP's frustration. not everyone plays a lot of mmos. some people do get a bit caught out, and for them it may seem subs are a bit of a scam.

which, in my opinion, it is.

though, i admit i'm a bit of a slave and will pay to play if i like the game.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by zymurgeist

I just purchased the Star Wars Old Republic and I'm pig biting mad. See the game doesn't come with a play card. You get 29 days for free but only if you subscribe to a reoccurring billing cycle or purchase a play card. The moment you register for the game the clock begins to tick on the so called free time. Now even games like WoW and Rift offer you free trials so you can check out the game before you buy but not Star Wars. There is nothing on the package that indicates that you have to buy anything more to play either.

Now imagine how excited your kid will be to open the new game, spend an hour downloading it only to realize he can't play. If you've maxed out your credit card buying Christmas presents as a lot of people do or you simply don't have a credit card you're not going to be the most popular parent on the block.

I shouldn't have to make this kind of commitment to try a new game when everyone else is giving away real free game time.

There are going to be a lot of heartbroken  kids come Christmas morning and a lot of angry parents.

Give then your credit card number. Play for 28 days. Cancel. Not a problem.

You don't even have to do that.  In AOC I set up my cc info to get started, and as soon as I saw I could log in, I canceled the sub so I wouldn't forget.   Every game I have ever played where I didn't upgrade from a free trial has required me to do this.  WoW (when I boght the box there was no 30 day "gamecard"), WAR, AOC, EQ, DAOC, Fallen Earth, all of them.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Originally posted by headphones

in fairness to the OP, he's not complaining about the sub fees, but that he can't use the free play time WITHOUT giving credit card details up front. that's not such an invalid argument. i think he's trying to say he doesn't want to pay to get the one month free after already paying for the box.

i think some people have jumped on him as though he expected a f2p...

exactly

You don't need to pay.  Sign up, provide the info.  Then immedately cancel.  You now get to play. Done.

Venge

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

This is the exact quote from their site:

"You have 29 days of play time starting 12.20.2011. You must sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code before you can play. If you sign up for a recurring subscription, you will be billed automatically at the end of your current remaining play time."

I asked people in my gaming group who got the game and they said you should have gotten a code that gives you the free days without having to put in any CC info. If you did not then contact SWTOR support to get your code since some were shipped without it.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by Kaocan

Hahahaha, OMG!!

Yes, I know, it totally sucks that you have to actually pay some money to play a new game when it comes out. No you can't pick it up in the store, play for a couple weeks for free and then charge it back to get your money back. So sorry...oh yeah, and it does in fact say you have to set up a sub or use a game card to play, period.

Only the last sentance pertains to the topic at hand, why the rest of it?  Is it really necessary to mock people who you can't see?  Not all games do this anymore, they use to but some have changed, usually when they put out a free trial they tend to drop setting up a recurring sub to get your free game time.  I bought my son WoW while it was on sale through blizz, and I didn't have to set up a recurring sub, but when I bought it a few years ago, I had to.  I think the difference is that when I bought the game there was no trial and now there is.  But I do agree, that every time I have played a game before it launched a free trial, I had to set up a recurring sub beforehand.

• HandaHanda Member Posts: 45

In the original post, the OP stated

"I shouldn't have to make this kind of commitment to try a new game when everyone else is giving away real free game time.

There are going to be a lot of heartbroken  kids come Christmas morning and a lot of angry parents."

What kind of committment are you talking about?  Listing a CC number?  I promise you that the parents who buy this for their children will have read the box and understood the requirements...they are NO different than every other P2P mmo I've played when the game first released.

• AsatrusFireAsatrusFire Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Kaocan

Hahahaha, OMG!!

Yes, I know, it totally sucks that you have to actually pay some money to play a new game when it comes out. No you can't pick it up in the store, play for a couple weeks for free and then charge it back to get your money back. So sorry...oh yeah, and it does in fact say you have to set up a sub or use a game card to play, period.

It doesn't say that on the box. They don't tell you that until you've paid for the game and set up your account. The point here is that the box is misleading claiming that you have a 30 day subscription when you have to commit your CC or buy a game card. WoW comes with a game card in the box.

And to the other poster with the "feeling", I do have a reoccurring subscription to WoW (obviously I have at least one CC) and I have for several years but when I started playing WoW my game came with a 30 day game card and I could play immediately upon download.

The point here is, if you asked your parents for this for Christmas make sure they buy you a game card and/or are aware that they will have to cough up their CC Christmas morning and if you're buying it for someone buy them a game card too or it's going to be a miserable Christmas morning for someone.

I also think the misleading quote of the package is pretty fail.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I havent set  up a credit card payment account, and am playing just fine.  Dunno what the OP is talking about.  I havent even seen a payment page yet.

• HandaHanda Member Posts: 45

WoW did not offer 30 day game cards back in 2005 when it first released.  WoW required a sub WITH CC # to play and get your 30 free days....just like TOR.  You obviously didn't play WoW on release day.  I did.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by Myrdynn

I havent set  up a credit card payment account, and am playing just fine.  Dunno what the OP is talking about.  I havent even seen a payment page yet.

cause his box didnt come with the registration code that some boxes were missing.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

I think I can safely say that 99.99999% of the people who asked for this game for Christmas, are buying it for someone else, or are buying it for themselves, know how this type of game works and the steps they'll have to take to play it.

The people who are dumbfounded and shocked when they find out a CC or game card is required to play fail as consumers.

That's on them, not Bioware.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by dannydeuce

Welcome to the 21st century.  If you can't afford 15 bucks on your credit card and find yourself maxxing out your credit card to pay for presents...NEWS FLASH you shouldn't be wasting your money on a video game.  You have much bigger priorities to take care of.  I mean seriously, this is why you label this game as a "fail"?  Man...

Why would you want to pay for a month subscription when you kinda already payed it it? It's included in the box.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Op, welcome to every sub based mmo ever.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by 8BitAvatar

The people who are dumbfounded and shocked when they find out a CC or game card is required to play fail as consumers.

That's on them, not Bioware.

It just does not make sense to the slightest and it's not standard either. If you offer game-cards it dumb to tell people to get one first before they get there "free" 30 days.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

This thread has lowered the collective IQ of this entire forum, which is saying a lot for MMORPG.  The worst part is that the OP continues to stand by his point despite 5 pages of people pointing out it is an issue of common sense. Stop feeding the trolls.

you don't have to pay anything to get your free time. However, credit cards are still used as a form of implied parental consent or proper identification of an adult user.

Every sub based game does this. Every one of them. Says right on the box that credit card is required for play.

Learn to read?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

GIVE US YOUR MONEY. Yummy yummy eechawowwa.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

to OP..check front of the box...beneath the Lucasarts and bioware logos...WHAT DOES IT SAY?

Your own damn fault for not understanding written language

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by Grotar89

AoC and WAR let you play 30 free days without setting up sub plan.

Incorrect.  I had to set up a subscription when I first tried to play both those games.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Derros

Originally posted by Grotar89

AoC and WAR let you play 30 free days without setting up sub plan.

Incorrect.  I had to set up a subscription when I first tried to play both those games.

And with AoC you had to be very careful to REMOVE CC INFO when you decided to cancel your subscription.

Which is a good practice with every online game if you decide to cancel.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Restaraunts charge you after the meal and fast food charges you before the meal....

That really pisses me off

Think I'll go QQ

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

I remember WAR charging me 12 subs in one month while I was unsubbed. It was awesome.

Actually there is one game I remember that didn't need a cc for the free trial. Perpetuum, the mech based eve clone. Of course that game doesn't auto renew, you have to go in and buy a serial key for sub time each month and you could trade them to other people.

That's a very small game with a non standard payment system. They were trying to emulate the way you can buy sub time in eve without building it into the game.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

Thread of fail...