Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars The Old Republic Fail

I just purchased the Star Wars Old Republic and I'm pig biting mad. See the game doesn't come with a play card. You get 29 days for free but only if you subscribe to a reoccurring billing cycle or purchase a play card. The moment you register for the game the clock begins to tick on the so called free time. Now even games like WoW and Rift offer you free trials so you can check out the game before you buy but not Star Wars. There is nothing on the package that indicates that you have to buy anything more to play either.

Now imagine how excited your kid will be to open the new game, spend an hour downloading it only to realize he can't play. If you've maxed out your credit card buying Christmas presents as a lot of people do or you simply don't have a credit card you're not going to be the most popular parent on the block.

I shouldn't have to make this kind of commitment to try a new game when everyone else is giving away real free game time.

There are going to be a lot of heartbroken  kids come Christmas morning and a lot of angry parents.

Comments

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

*head explodes*

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Warning on the box like every online game. Wil require a online subscription.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by AsatrusFire

I just purchased the Star Wars Old Republic and I'm pig biting mad. See the game doesn't come with a play card. You get 29 days for free but only if you subscribe to a reoccurring billing cycle or purchase a play card. The moment you register for the game the clock begins to tick on the so called free time. Now even games like WoW and Rift offer you free trials so you can check out the game before you buy but not Star Wars. There is nothing on the package that indicates that you have to buy anything more to play either.

Now imagine how excited your kid will be to open the new game, spend an hour downloading it only to realize he can't play. If you've maxed out your credit card buying Christmas presents as a lot of people do or you simply don't have a credit card you're not going to be the most popular parent on the block.

I shouldn't have to make this kind of commitment to try a new game when everyone else is giving away real free game time.

There are going to be a lot of heartbroken  kids come Christmas morning and a lot of angry parents.

Every P2P MMO requires you set up a billing account before you can play. If your not interested in paying that way after that then cancel your sub and you wont get charge on your credit card. It's been that way since EQ.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

Welcome to the 21st century.  If you can't afford 15 bucks on your credit card and find yourself maxxing out your credit card to pay for presents...NEWS FLASH you shouldn't be wasting your money on a video game.  You have much bigger priorities to take care of.  I mean seriously, this is why you label this game as a "fail"?  Man...

• AsatrusFireAsatrusFire Member Posts: 34

No what some of you are saying is not true. You can play both WoW and Rift without giving away your credit card number. In fact when you buy WoW you get a 30 day play card to get you started and have the option of either setting up a draw account or buying game cards in the store. The real point is people who will be buying this game for their loved ones for Christmas are going to end up with egg on their faces.

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Originally posted by Otakun

Every P2P MMO requires you set up a billing account before you can play. If your not interested in paying that way after that then cancel your sub and you wont get charge on your credit card. It's been that way since EQ.

AoC and WAR let you play 30 free days without setting up sub plan.

Originally posted by dannydeuce

Welcome to the 21st century.  If you can't afford 15 bucks on your credit card and find yourself maxxing out your credit card to pay for presents...NEWS FLASH you shouldn't be wasting your money on a video game.  You have much bigger priorities to take care of.  I mean seriously, this is why you label this game as a "fail"?  Man...

He's not even talking about charging the 15 bucks. He is complaining about having to set up the sub cycle which doesn't even charge you any money.

Originally posted by Grotar89

I know WAR made you set up an account cause I had to. I didn't play AoC though.

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

He's not even talking about charging the 15 bucks. He is complaining about having to set up the sub cycle which doesn't even charge you any money.

He is compaling coz he cant play 30 free days that he payed for without setting sub plan. So if he doesnt have CC or game card he is screwed.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

The last couple mmo's I have played have been the exact same way.  He mentioned money so I brought up money.  I don't think you understand what he is saying or just trying to argue for the sake of arguing.  Either way, I stand by my statement.

Ok, I think I understand the problem, he is one of the people that didnt get the code that was suppose to come with the game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114841-The-Old-Republic-Ships-Without-Registration-Codes

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

...so the game is "Fail" because you didn't read box?..it says on all MMO boxes requires credit card...

Originally posted by coxyroxy

This is exactly what it says on the package:

" Valid credit card or paid game card (if available), Internet connection and paid subscription required to play game.  30-day subscription included with purchase."

The 30 day subscription is only valid if you have already set up the credit card draw or you already purchased a game card. It does not say that you must purchase the game card before you can play or that your 30 day subscription begins to deteriorate the moment you put the product registration code into their site. The last sentence is misleading.

• NotusingthisNotusingthis Member Posts: 8

I performed the password reset process so that I may login to my rarely used MMORPG.com account and tell you that you fail at being an adult. Read more thoroughly, don't max out credit cards on Christmas gifts, never post misplaced anger at yourself at the internet.

• HandaHanda Member Posts: 45

I normally am very reluctant to engage in forum name calling but......the OP is a moron.  Every P2P mmo i've ever played has required a credit card and sub when the game first released.  Plus the game comes with 30 days free play.  If you don't like it, cancel before your 30 days are up and you'll be charged nothing.  Free trials typically are offered well after the initial rush of subs in order to entice further subs.  And if your CC is maxed, why did you even spend the money to buy the game? 

To label a game a failure because you were ignorant of how the industry typically works is saying more about you than the game.

The last couple mmo's I have played have been the exact same way.  He mentioned money so I brought up money.  I don't think you understand what he is saying or just trying to argue for the sake of arguing.  Either way, I stand by my statement.

I think you are the one who don't understand what he was saying but either way it's a dumb complaint.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by Grotar89

Excuse me, lol?

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

mee why f f2p is inherently bad for the industy,  it brainashes people like the op into thinking every game on the face of the earth must offer something free. if you wanted a free trial should tried a beta weekend that not what launch day is for. i'm really getting this sense of entitlment people have on here.

so say we all

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by coxyroxy

This is exactly what it says on the package:

" Valid credit card or paid game card (if available), Internet connection and paid subscription required to play game.  30-day subscription included with purchase."

The 30 day subscription is only valid if you have already set up the credit card draw or you already purchased a game card. It does not say that you must purchase the game card before you can play or that your 30 day subscription begins to deteriorate the moment you put the product registration code into their site. The last sentence is misleading.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

in fairness to the OP, he's not complaining about the sub fees, but that he can't use the free play time WITHOUT giving credit card details up front. that's not such an invalid argument. i think he's trying to say he doesn't want to pay to get the one month free after already paying for the box.

i think some people have jumped on him as though he expected a f2p...

This is the exact quote from their site:

"You have 29 days of play time starting 12.20.2011. You must sign up for a recurring subscription plan or redeem a Game Time Code before you can play. If you sign up for a recurring subscription, you will be billed automatically at the end of your current remaining play time."

Originally posted by headphones

in fairness to the OP, he's not complaining about the sub fees, but that he can't use the free play time WITHOUT giving credit card details up front. that's not such an invalid argument. i think he's trying to say he doesn't want to pay to get the one month free after already paying for the box.

i think some people have jumped on him as though he expected a f2p...

exactly

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Yeh.. Pretty sure OP either does not have a Credit Card or just likes to use game time cards only for mmorpg gaming. This means the OP is forced to purchase a game card to get his "30 free days" which means they actually get 60 days at half price for the first 60 days?

• KaocanKaocan Member UncommonPosts: 1,270

Hahahaha, OMG!!

Yes, I know, it totally sucks that you have to actually pay some money to play a new game when it comes out. No you can't pick it up in the store, play for a couple weeks for free and then charge it back to get your money back. So sorry...oh yeah, and it does in fact say you have to set up a sub or use a game card to play, period.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)