Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting ripped apart on Metacritic

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by http://www.metacritic.com

User Score 5.0 out of 10Mixed or average reviews
    based on 228 Ratings

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by twodayslate

Why  I never use meta critic.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/duke-nukem-forever

To be fair, Force Unleashed 2 was completely phoned in.

It was a comparasent, 

How can games like The Force Unleashed 2 and Duke Nukem forever have higher score then games such as CODMW3 and SWTOR?

Is (so called) innovation of mainstream games so important when there are thousands of games doing it differently? 

Are games like TOR and COD:MW3 really worse then TFU2 or Duke Nukem?

That said though...they are usually pretty good at being low when a game honestly does suck.  Of course sometime they are low when a game doesn't suck because some users are offended somehow by the game.

Except when it comes to meta critic.

Here is another:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/warhammer-online-age-of-reckoning

Do you think that is the felling of the majority of gamers?

or how about.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/darkfall-online

There is not need to get low and begin to trash games that have nothing to do about

And I dont see your point on darkfall, it does suck

And stop linking to metacritic trying to grasp a point, metacriti flaws are already obvious enough

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by Gdemami

User Score 5.0 out of 10

Mixed or average reviews

based on 228 Ratings

This is because anyone giving a fair review is giving it a 7 or 8 and all the haters are giving it a 0 on multiple accounts. It skews the results a bit.

I don't care what people think about TOR, there is no way it deserves a 0. This isn't Big Rigs Over The Road Racing we're talking about here...

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Even with a highly scrutinized genre like MMORPGs, where people actively read up on varying opinions around the 'net (as opposed to MW3, the players of which probably just bought it because it was a sequel to MW2), I don't think Metacritic has ever represented the public's true perception of most games, but fans should realize this instead of contributing to the chaos and up-voting it "just 'cause".

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by sgel

than TOR as well.. and a much more interesting class system as well as the rift events for PvE variety.

Guild Wars is kinda in it's own niche.. and it's not really an MMORPG but more of an MMOG.

And that's why user reviews really need to be looked at with a jaundiced eye.

I am the exact opposite. I am enjoying myself far more in SWToR (and for the record I would give SWToR a 7.5 or 8) than I did in Rfit.

I thought Rift was a pretty horrible game with the exception of the invasions which I loved. At least, I loved the invasions in beta. When the game went live they suddenly became easier, they didn't last that long, and in certain areas they didnt' seem to be a big deal.

And yet we would probably give these games different scores based on solid but personal opinion.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Anubisan

Originally posted by Gdemami

User Score 5.0 out of 10

Mixed or average reviews

based on 228 Ratings

This is because anyone giving a fair review is giving it a 7 or 8 and all the haters are giving it a 0 on multiple accounts. It skews the results a bit.

Complete speculation.  There's already proof that fans are doing the same thing in order to "counter" the hate votes.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I don't care what people think about TOR, there is no way it deserves a 0. 

Why not?

If somebody paid 60$, played it for a couple of hours, didn't enjoy it at all, found it to be the same boring quest-mill with awkward cut-scenes on every step, why shouldn't he gave it 0. Or do you believe, he should be thinking in terms like "Well I totally dislike the game, but maybe someone else might enjoy it, so I'll give it 6 or 7" ? I rather think that the user reviews should reflect personal subjective opinion on the game, and not personal subjective opinion on what should be the objective opinion.

REALITY CHECK

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

I  haven't reviewed it on Metacritic because to be fair, I haven't played the launch version.

However, I was there during the last days of beta, so based on that experience...

I'd give it a 7/10.

I can see (and appreciate) all of the hard work that went into creating the game; the devs' blood, sweat and tears that went into the game are clearly there. At the end of the day though, it just wasn't a game to my liking.

To give it a 0 though is pretty low.

The artists, developers, designers, testers, everyone involved with the project, deserve more than that.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You know what's hilarious?  This fanboi war has now spilled onto metacritic completely.  There is a thread on the SWTOR official board rallying support for the game on metacritic because it is being "attacked."  And lo and behold, it has risen from like 2.something to 5.0 already.

How far does this my game is better than yours crap have to go?  You don't have to convince yourself that the game is the second coming just to play it, and you don't have to demonize it because you don't like it.  How about just give it an honest review?

If I were to review it, I would give it an "8."  I think that's fair.  Why do people have to turn this into some immature fan-war?

Someone said it fairly well recently. Many gamers are no different than foorball fans (I've used the analogy many times myself). They view their game as their team, and will defend it anywhere it's attacked (or they view it as being attacked). Win or lose it's their team, regardless of the teams performance they'll support it, and even praise it. They'll also senselessly tear down it's competition, often in a delusional way.

I view TOR to be about a 7-7.5 right now and I really enjoy the game. But stacking it up to it's present competition, it has a lot of growing up to do.

We obviously don't view games as foozball teams. Again, the problem is many do...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jonnyfragjonnyfrag Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by arrgy

For me, it depends on the class. I would give the game a solid 7 for the agent class. Its a good story, interesting class to play (especially the sniper) great acting, and a good sidekick. I leveled one up in Beta to around 30. For every other class its probably a 3 or 4. Nothing seemed interesting for the other classes. Just a blah and bland story, the gameplay was pretty much the same for all the light saber classes with some subtle differences. The smuggler could have been as good as the agent if all the dialogue wasn't so corny.  Just nothing held my interest like the agent storyline did. The space combat is horrible, simply dreadful, and I wish I could have more character customization at the beginning. I grouped some during beta and that didn't even feel right. I felt too much like I was playing a single player game. Is it worth it for $30 for 60 days, yeah, but $60 at launch for 30 days to wait in a 2 hour line to get in and then just to kicked out for no reason after 20 minutes is crazy.

This, although mine is the Bounty Hunter line. All is subjective, but the fanboi wars are going to end up tainting this game right off the bat. Overall, the game is about a 5 personally.

Played: Asheron's Call(still the best fantasy MMO!), EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, DAoC, Horizons, City of Heroes/Villians, WoW (crap), LOTORO, D&D Online, Eve, Anarchy Online, and still playing SWG daily.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

You know what's hilarious?  This fanboi war has now spilled onto metacritic completely.  There is a thread on the SWTOR official board rallying support for the game on metacritic because it is being "attacked."  And lo and behold, it has risen from like 2.something to 5.0 already.

How far does this my game is better than yours crap have to go?  You don't have to convince yourself that the game is the second coming just to play it, and you don't have to demonize it because you don't like it.  How about just give it an honest review?

If I were to review it, I would give it an "8."  I think that's fair.  Why do people have to turn this into some immature fan-war?

Well said.

The problem is that the extremes villify the other side.   Look at the replies to you comment here.    Those the like the game are claiming that their reviews are 'honest', but that all the 'haters' must be giving it '0'.

Imo, the reality is that both extremes (haters and fanbois) are giving skewed reviews.   Haters are giving it 0, while fanbois are giving it 10.  

Like you said, it is is difficult to find honest unbaised reviews.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

The artists, developers, designers, testers, everyone involved with the project, deserve more than that.

They already deserved more than that -- their salary. They decided to go the unoriginal way, they don't have my sympathies. They should in fact, be ashamed of their work, if they are really top-notch artists.

REALITY CHECK

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Toxia

Originally posted by BlackUhuru

User reviews mean everything to a game.

I agree. Though i havent played SWTOR, if i wanted to and looked at reviews, i always look more towards the User reviews.

Right because the users are typically fair in their reviews.

Posting this again for emphasis. Exactly.

2.1 out of 10 for MW3? I'm not a COD fan at all, never have been but seriously that's just ridiculous, this is agenda not a game review.

The user reviews for MW3 on metacritic are EXACTLY why user reviews are more important than critic reviews.  If you read the critical reviews you would have thought MW3 was worth purchasing.  Users rightfully scored it low because it was almost exactly the same as MW2 but with a hefty new pricetag to pay.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Hey  I am going to go grab some popcorn...anyone want some.?

LOL!

Originally posted by Thillian

Why not?

If somebody paid 60$, played it for a couple of hours, didn't enjoy it at all, found it to be the same boring quest-mill with awkward cut-scenes on every step, why shouldn't he gave it 0. Or do you believe, he should be thinking in terms like "Well I totally dislike the game, but maybe someone else might enjoy it, so I'll give it 6 or 7" ? I rather think that the user reviews should reflect personal subjective opinion on the game, and not personal subjective opinion on what should be the objective opinion.

I agree, but you're probably barking up the wrong tree.  Most MMO players believe you should log 50+ hours in their flavor of the month game in order to have a decent opinion on it.  Why?  I didn't play Rift for very long at all, I didn't even make it out of the trial period, but I still didn't like the gameplay, the characters, the environment, the graphics... anything about it.  I'd give a low score because I feel, unlike some others, you get a better idea about an MMO in the early levels, before you're addicted to some stupid need/greed loot system and huge pauldrons.

If you feel a game is a 0, give it a 0.  If you're doing it to be a jerk on purpose to spite some faceless internet rivals, well that's your problem.

Why not?

Oh come on. A 0 means that nothing works. That the game is complete garbage and that the developers didn't deliver what they promised.

This is NOT the case with SWTOR. The game is exactly what Bioware said it would be and it has been delivered with a high degree of polish in every regard. You may not like the game because of its mechanics, but to say that it is a 0 is just unfair. I may not like whatever MMORPG you are a fan of (and I'm sure I don't), but no MMO I have ever played deserves a 0.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

Who gives a crap about metacritic. You remember the flood of players that gave COD a what .. 0 rating lol (which imo is actually acurate)

All the players with the blizzard nutsack in their mouth will be multi posting shitty scores there.

Move along... nothing to see at metashitic.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

That rating is simply ridiculous. There is no way this game should be getting an average of 5.0. I don't even care for this game but trying to say that a 5.0  is what this game should be rated at is laughable.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

"user reviews" are biased garbage. 99% of the people that posted there made thier minds up when the game was in alpha, nothing but tainted trash. Ive played it, it may follow the grain pretty close but its a solid game that shows alot of profesionalism and polish. To be honet with all the launch flops over the past 6 years with broken games coming out every 3-4 months, its VERY nice to find a game that acctualy WORKS day 1...

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • ZX81SpectrumZX81Spectrum Member Posts: 39

I think I should wait for a free trial before buying this game. It doesn't really scare me that ppl vote 0 for it on Metacritic, but it does worry me that ppl vote 10 just to boost it.  It does seem that some ppl (only some) that vote low have fairly valid arguments based on experience and thus it worries me that the high scores pretty much just rant on the "non-likers".

40 Year old couples and gaming. Toons borrowed from Cyanide and Happiness.Text is Yours truly. Paint ftw :)

Originally posted by ZX81Spectrum

I think I should wait for a free trial before buying this game. It doesn't really scare me that ppl vote 0 for it on Metacritic, but it does worry me that ppl vote 10 just to boost it.  It does seem that some ppl (only some) that vote low have fairly valid arguments based on experience and thus it worries me that the high scores pretty much just rant on the "non-likers".

In my opinion, anyone who gives this game a 0 on metacritic has lost all credibility.

I think I would say that about ANY game...

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

And on the same note, a 10 means that everything is there, and there really is nothing to critize -- yet I am sure there are fans out there giving out 10s.

I certainly agree the game does not deserve a 0, but it certainly doesn't deserve a 10 either.   

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by ZX81Spectrum

In my opinion, anyone who gives this game a 0 on metacritic has lost all credibility.

What about the ones giving it a 10?

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Why not?

it doesnt deserve a 0 purley based on the fact it works right out of the gate, unlike most mmo's released over the last 5 years. Your bias is showing like a bright neon light, thanks for coming out.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Why not?

Oh come on. A 0 means that nothing works. That the game is complete garbage and that the developers didn't deliver what they promised.
    This is NOT the case with SWTOR. The game is exactly what Bioware said it would be and it has been delivered with a high degree of polish in every regard. You may not like the game because of its mechanics, but to say that it is a 0 is just unfair. I may not like whatever MMORPG you are a fan of (and I'm sure I don't), but no MMO I have ever played deserves a 0.

There is no common definition of what "0" means. You have a slider with numbers from 0 to 10 and that's it. People pick the score and it means whatever they want it to mean.
    It has nothing to do with fair or unfair.

The trick will be seeing what happens when there are a couple or several thousand ratings (if there are that many ratings). That would give you a better idea of the general score for the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.