Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting ripped apart on Metacritic

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by Jyiiga

If people didn't like the game there wouldn't be a hour long wait on half of them during primetime (to log in).

That is because Bioware is playing it safe and not adding more servers.   Rift had queues as well, so do most new launches, it is not indicative of a games over all success or failure - that comes 3 to 6 months after launch.   And besides, what constitutes failure.  I think if SW:TOR retains 350k to 500k players it should be considered successful.

They have added servers Teala Im at the server selection looking at 10 light servers.  People are just not filling them up yet.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

NO clue what's been said in the previous 17 pages, but really, for most games, the user reviews on Metacritic are absolute rubbish.  I am pretty sure somewhere there are people who get paid a miniscule amount to write bs reviews on that site.  I am not a huge fan of the game, but even I can see it's value.  I honestly could not understand how a sane person would give this game a zero.

Just click on the some of the names of people who gave zeros or low scores.  Most profiles will only show  one review, and it's usually the game they are trashing.  Just look if you don't beleive me.  Take a look at this guy:  http://www.metacritic.com/user/TimedParadox  He gave Mincraft a zero?  Really?  I bet maybe 3/4 of those reviews are by people who posted about one game, in this case SWTOR.  Now, the same could also be said for some of those 10's.  You will see they only have one review.  I mean, do people really register for a site, just to post one review about  one game?  The game is really that bad that they use their time to bother with that?  No, most of it just bs. 

I mean look at this guy's profile, he gave Skyim and Minecraft both a zero, but he gave some console only game I've never heard of a 9?  http://www.metacritic.com/user/ViralKillsBrain

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Thank god for user reviews actually - the joke that was Dragon Age 2 still got a great CRITICS review on metacritic but the user reviews actually told the real tale.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by Worstluck

NO clue what's been said in the previous 17 pages, but really, for most games, the user reviews on Metacritic are absolute rubbish.  I am pretty sure somewhere there are people who get paid a miniscule amount to write bs reviews on that site.  I am not a huge fan of the game, but even I can see it's value.  I honestly could not understand how a sane person would give this game a zero.

Just click on the some of the names of people who gave zeros or low scores.  Most profiles will only show  one review, and it's usually the game they are trashing.  Just look if you don't beleive me.  Take a look at this guy:  http://www.metacritic.com/user/TimedParadox  He gave Mincraft a zero?  Really?  I bet maybe 3/4 of those reviews are by people who posted about one game, in this case SWTOR.  Now, the same could also be said for some of those 10's.  You will see they only have one review.  I mean, do people really register for a site, just to post one review about  one game?  The game is really that bad that they use their time to bother with that?  No, most of it just bs. 

I mean look at this guy's profile, he gave Skyim and Minecraft both a zero, but he gave some console only game I've never heard of a 9?  http://www.metacritic.com/user/ViralKillsBrain

The same can be said for many of the positive reviews.........

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

That console game you've never heard of is one of the best PS3 games.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by caalem

Thanks for the info.  Have anything to add to the conversation?  Didn't think so.

Thanks for the info.  Have anything to add to the conversation?  Didn't think so.

A lot of the people that gave the game a 10/10 have a single review on the account, but you didn't call them out. I guess that was too inconvenient for you.

Since we're discussing biased reviewers, what about Bioware's own staff giving the game a 10/10?

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Margulis

Thank god for user reviews actually - the joke that was Dragon Age 2 still got a great CRITICS review on metacritic but the user reviews actually told the real tale.

I agree. DA2 was a horrible sequal to DAO. 

Is TOR as much on 'rails' as DA2 was?  Or is it closer to DAO?

• steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

Wow, you've never heard of Dark Souls?... Huh.

Anyway, I don't put much stock into reviews. Well, aside from Giantbomb.

Right now SWTOR is sitting at what? 5.1/10? That seems rather fair to me. Maybe a 6. Of course that's on an actual scale where 10 is god-like.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Haters who gave SWTOR 0-3 also gave Skyrim 0-3!!!

What do you want from a game!!! image

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by Loekii

I agree. DA2 was a horrible sequal to DAO. 

Is TOR as much on 'rails' as DA2 was?  Or is it closer to DAO?

People major complant  in DA II was about the lack of setting and the fact that you where always suck in a city with reused maps and what not. 

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by eluldor

Not everyone loves Skyrim, some even hate it, but look at the average rating.  It's doing pretty well, where it counts.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by eluldor

I don't know about you but from now on I am going to use Metacritic to form all of my opinions about video games.

Not like he has any room to talk when professional reviewers are bought off left and right.

Trusting someone else to give an opinion on how you'd enjoy something isn't very bright. We need demos back.

Trusting someone else to give an opinion on how you'd enjoy something isn't very bright. 

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Not like he has any room to talk when professional reviewers are bought off left and right.

Trusting someone else to give an opinion on how you'd enjoy something isn't very bright. We need demos back.

I would love if a mmo launched with a one week trial. Lets see how confident some these devs really are. Unfortunately it would be to bad for box sales.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by jadedlevir

I would love if a mmo launched with a one week trial. Lets see how confident some these devs really. Unfortunately it would be too bad for box sales.

pretty much what an open beta is and many offer it.. some shorter than others.. technically you could call the stress test a free trial since it was the same exact product we are playing now

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Well SWOTOR does have a 5.2 average user Rating Skyrim does have 5.3 now seeing how Skyrim just won Best game award it would seem like SWOTOR is just doing amazing.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

QFT, I find it sickening how high scores get some studios from so called 'critics' . 

In case of swtor, if you are not sw fan, you have realy hard time to feel amazed by the game, but there are lot of sw fans ... fortunatly for bioware. Scrap IP out of the game and compare it to Rift (another wow clone) and you will find that SWTOR as mmo is seriously lacking a lot of features. (and yes i have the game and I'm playing it)

Originally posted by Doomedfox

Well SWOTOR does have a 5.2 average user Rating Skyrim does have 5.3 now seeing how Skyrim just won Best game award it would seem like SWOTOR is just doing amazing.

where you looking? skyrim has 8.3 user average

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Originally posted by sanosukex

I would love if a mmo launched with a one week trial. Lets see how confident some these devs really. Unfortunately it would be too bad for box sales.

pretty much what an open beta is and many offer it.. some shorter than others.. technically you could call the stress test a free trial since it was the same exact product we are playing now

Well ya, but most of them hide behind the "it's just beta" excuse, even though that's very true. A trial on the other hand would take off the pressure of buying a game at launch on the hope that it's good.

Well ya, but most of them hide behind the "it's just beta" excuse, even though that's very true. A trial on the other hand would take off the pressure of buying a game at launch on the hope that it's good.

again though what you are describing is final open beta or stress test.. just because some people hide behind the its only beta fact does'nt take away the fact every single final stress test I have ever played in WAS indeed a final product.

• steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

He's looking at the PS3 Skyrim link. Also, it's hilarious to see people running around in the OB stress-test claiming that they're magically going to change the game within a week of release.

Originally posted by steelfrenzy

He's looking at the PS3 Skyrim link. Also, it's hilarious to see people running around in the OB stress-test claiming that they're magically going to change the game within a week of release.

ahh well PS3 was a differnt story because of the game breaking bugs it had