Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Houston, We Have Lift Off!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today marks the end of a long wait as Star Wars: The Old Republic officially launches. To celebrate the momentous occasion, Bioware and the SWTOR dev team have released a brand new documentary video focusing on the development of the game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Nomis278Nomis278 Member UncommonPosts: 126

Is it me, or does James Ohlen sound alot like Yoda?

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Today? Really? I've been in there a week already. image

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Love this game so much! Best mmo I have ever played , and I played em all!
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I have to admit the game is a lot better than I thought it was going to be. It's far from perfect and there are features I hope get adjusted over time, but overall it is a very addictive mmorpg. Yes, a real mmorpg, unlike current mmo's who leave out the rpg that started it all for the industry.

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

not in Oz you dont, cant get it here.  no "worldwide" release which games have been doing ages. shame.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

I got ques in beta - twice. I have had no ques since, even on launch day. My sub went thru without a hitch. Do not know if it was luck but I am very happy with the game and look forward to the next year of playing. I do have one complaint - I am playing a Jedi Knight Guardian but have this strong nagging feeling to go make more characters.  Yesterday before shutting down I found myself creating a Smuggler altho I only let it get thru the starting cinematic before catching myself. I think Bioware can get a small smug feeling, at least from my part. This game is a success for me and my money will head Bioware's way. In RL that is called success.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Lacey Chabert is Mako, eh?  No wonder I jones over the Bounty Hunter class...

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Robsolf

Lacey Chabert is Mako, eh?  No wonder I jones over the Bounty Hunter class...

Bounty hunter just equals awesome. Between Mako & Blizz, the BH has by far the best companions. 

• NaucanoNaucano Member UncommonPosts: 80

...eh ... Houston we have a problem ...

Day 7 after launch. EA/Origin still does not give any service available and eligible for me. I have serious health complains due to excesive laughing with such display of mismanagement. And I it is a pity there is nothing in the law that says marketing can't exagerate features or obvious lie about the quality of their product.

Rated M for Mature - May contain content inappropriate for children

• Zenith2007Zenith2007 Member Posts: 4

Naucano, what on earth are you talking about? You don't have to run SWTOR through Origin! If there's a problem, then it's probably on your end. As for mismanagement, this has been the best MMO launch in years, and I've attended a good many of them. No idea what you're smoking, but probably best to stop, before you get any more crazy ideas into your head.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Shame it feels like World of Warcraft underneath the Star Wars. Yes, I'm being serious. The zones are not as "open" as you would think. And the graphics are more like 'WoW 2.0', was kind of hoping for graphics of RIFT or Skyrim (with mods of course).

It's an okay game though, not great, not SWG: Reborn (yes, shameless Star Wars nod to Outcast/Academy).

Was in guild-vent and one memeber said this game would be the 'new' WoW in terms of popularity. Sadly, I predict this game to follow the same path as WAR, LoTRO, STO, AoC, RIFT, DCU, Earthrise, RF Online, and all the other MMOs that copied to much from WoW.

Sum it up:

Play it for the story, but don't expect to relive "the glory days" of SWG.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Dyner

Shame it feels like World of Warcraft underneath the Star Wars. Yes, I'm being serious. The zones are not as "open" as you would think. And the graphics are more like 'WoW 2.0', was kind of hoping for graphics of RIFT or Skyrim (with mods of course).

It's an okay game though, not great, not SWG: Reborn (yes, shameless Star Wars nod to Outcast/Academy).

Was in guild-vent and one memeber said this game would be the 'new' WoW in terms of popularity. Sadly, I predict this game to follow the same path as WAR, LoTRO, STO, AoC, RIFT, DCU, Earthrise, RF Online, and all the other MMOs that copied to much from WoW.

Sum it up:

Who said it was going to have even a tiny resemblance with SWG? so yeah if people go in expecting another SWG they can only blame themselves.

And worlds are open once you get your ship and you can go anywhere you like...i was in Tatooine exploring dune sea at levels below than recommended and died a lot but i went anyways. Trust me no one physically stopped me from exploring.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by Supersoups

Sum it up:

Who said it was going to have even a tiny resemblance with SWG? so yeah if people go in expecting another SWG they can only blame themselves.

Yep they should have read up and realized the game is shitty.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Sum it up:

The only problem with that is that only people completely clueless about Bioware and the current gaming market were expecting this game to be like SWG. It was never meant to be and NO ONE ever wanted it to be. Im refering to the developers offcourse.

Play the game for what it is and enjoy it if it's your cup of tea, if it's not, it's a big market, search for other options...

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Supersoups

And worlds are open once you get your ship and you can go anywhere you like...i was in Tatooine exploring dune sea at levels below than recommended and died a lot but i went anyways. Trust me no one physically stopped me from exploring.

People assumed it would be SWG-ish, I never got the chance to play SWG; so I have no idea what that assumption entailes.

As for open world, I was on Tat and routinely found the "fatigue". In fact, in one spot just going AROUND mobs was enough to trigger it. And the mobs being 'green' means I didn't have to go very far out to avoid argoing.

I will say, I demand Jedi Knight: Academy w/ Force+ mod moves! :D

Seriously, that game captured what "being Jedi (or Sith)" was all about. For those who don't care to experience it. If it [the move] was on the Big Screen; you could do it.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182

I did the Closed Beta to the end but haven't bought the released game as yet.

SW:TOR is what it is.  An cute and fun RPG MMO with a absolutely well written and absorbing  story that has been dumbed down enough to give Lucas Arts a warm fuzzy and provide Lucas Arts with some market research-proven reassurance that, as designed, SW:TOR will "work as intended" to provide the pablum it wants to serve to, and be eagerly gobbled up by, the masses of gamers of all ages.

SW:TOR -- the next WoW?  Trust me, Lucas Arts regards that as a compliment and the sign of "mission accomplished" for Bioware. 

SW:TOR -- a ground-breaking MMO?  No, not on any level.

• AsatrusFireAsatrusFire Member Posts: 34

The computer requirements are higher than WoW. I didn't realize that until I purchased the game and tried to play it and the lag was simply insane. I could barely move. I think some of these companies forget that not all of us own a computer specifically designed for gaming. As long as these companies continue to design games that require a high end computer to play they will not be able to win a lot of market share from WoW at least not until WoW does the same thing requiring a higher end computer to play. During these tough economic times not everyone is going to rush to the store to upgrade their computer just to play a game when everything else they use it for works just fine.

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182

Originally posted by AsatrusFire

The computer requirements are higher than WoW. I didn't realize that until I purchased the game and tried to play it and the lag was simply insane. I could barely move. I think some of these companies forget that not all of us own a computer specifically designed for gaming. As long as these companies continue to design games that require a high end computer to play they will not be able to win a lot of market share from WoW at least not until WoW does the same thing requiring a higher end computer to play. During these tough economic times not everyone is going to rush to the store to upgrade their computer just to play a game when everything else they use it for works just fine.

The reality of life is the system requirements to play SW:TOR are actually marginal .

For example, the minimum processor required is the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 gHz was released in 2007.

Some computers that appear to meet mimimum game requirements may not do a very good job of it under certain conditions, such as computers that have inegrated graphics (often the case in cheaper desktops and many laoptop machines).

Check out the minimum system requirements for SW:TOR here:  http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#171060

Your interet connection may be a problem as well.  I have DSL here at the cabin.  SW:TOR runs slicker than snot ... BUT ...  if a couple people here are using the Internet to uploand photos, watch NetFlicks or otherwise are eating up bandwidth at the same time I was trying to play SW:TOR, I'd have issues -- even though I have an Alienware M17X laptop.

One last thing -- it's a new game -- there are a lot of people on, especially on the most popular servers and that slows things down a bit.  My son used to be a GM for Blizzard and this was the biggest challenge when WoW launched 'way back when.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Impressive bug and problems free start and really enjoying a lot because of great content, voiced and very engaging quests (missed always this component in any mmo), ... game is incredibly fun. And have feeling like really being in Star Wars (also whitnesed in 1st person release of first movie of series decades ago :-)) Can not however speak about end game as I'm as altholic far from that point. :-)