Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fears?

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by RizelStar

*snip*

Links :D

Well I wasn't going to look it up but I just used google, took less time than posting actually, you should try it.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013691/Designing-Guild-Wars-2-Dynamic

Around 53.40 in the Q&A session.

imageimage
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

*snip*

Links :D

Well I wasn't going to look it up but I just used google, took less time than posting actually, you should try it.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1013691/Designing-Guild-Wars-2-Dynamic

Around 53.40 in the Q&A session.

Thanks for the link bro I didn't think about typing "How long does it take to get to level 1 to 81 in Guild Wars 2." in google.

Though Ialso didn't remember the 90 mins per level which is fairly decent, most likely it's dependant on player style as well could be shorter could be longer. Maybe at steady paste like reading dialogue and listening to cutscenes and doing one DE fully would be 90 minutes per level.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Well the cap is level 80 and those 90 minutes are just a guide, what they're aiming for. Some will be faster, some may be slower, it's just a general idea for what you should be able to expect. So people who want to reach cap in 4 days probably aren't going to get much sleep.

imageimage
  • xTalenTxTalenT Member Posts: 29

My only fear is that it doesnt come out in the next four months.

• I'm not saying this is how things are going to turn out, but these are my fears nonetheless:

1. Even though I like the idea of no tank or healer, there is a certain % of the MMO crowd that enjoys playing dedicated roles.  My fear is ANET is going to alienate a good portion of them.  Hopefully there are roles that aren't dedicated to those functions but still gives those players the same level of satisfaction.

2. There will be too many people who could care less about working as a team during dynamic events and strictly go straight DPS, not bothering to do any support (healing, protecting, debuffing, ressing, etc.).  Eventually that becomes the norm and despite ANET's best efforts, it's every man for himself.

3. ANET caves to the whinners who complain that there's no "end game" at level 80 and turns this into a gear-based and raid/instance-focused game for fear of losing players.  As sad as it is to say, Blizzard has brain washed people into thinking it's all about the gear, and I fear the WoW-was-my-first-MMO crowd will be very vocal.

4. The revolutionary mechanics of no kill/loot stealing that ANET is introducing will be heavily exploitable.

5. Gold/RMT spammers.  Hopefully there won't be any trial accounts so they'll have to pay for a new copy of the game each time they get banned.

6. The official GW2 forums turn into a cesspool with little to no ANET feedback.  I'd gladly accept heavy-handed forum moderation if it means we get constant dev interaction.

7. People will min/max the game to death and we'll have the constant rolling FOTM class effect of people flocking from one OP class to the next as they get nerfed/buffed.

8. Even though there's no "holy trinity", people will find the optimum 5 class/role group for difficult content, and you won't be invited unless you conform to those 5 classes/roles (thus having the same effect as the "holy trinity").
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Sixpax

I'm not saying this is how things are going to turn out, but these are my fears nonetheless:

1. Even though I like the idea of no tank or healer, there is a certain % of the MMO crowd that enjoys playing dedicated roles.  My fear is ANET is going to alienate a good portion of them.  Hopefully there are roles that aren't dedicated to those functions but still gives those players the same level of satisfaction.

2. There will be too many people who could care less about working as a team during dynamic events and strictly go straight DPS, not bothering to do any support (healing, protecting, debuffing, ressing, etc.).  Eventually that becomes the norm and despite ANET's best efforts, it's every man for himself.

3. ANET caves to the whinners who complain that there's no "end game" at level 80 and turns this into a gear-based and raid/instance-focused game for fear of losing players.  As sad as it is to say, Blizzard has brain washed people into thinking it's all about the gear, and I fear the WoW-was-my-first-MMO crowd will be very vocal.

4. The revolutionary mechanics of no kill/loot stealing that ANET is introducing will be heavily exploitable.

5. Gold/RMT spammers.  Hopefully there won't be any trial accounts so they'll have to pay for a new copy of the game each time they get banned.

6. The official GW2 forums turn into a cesspool with little to no ANET feedback.  I'd gladly accept heavy-handed forum moderation if it means we get constant dev interaction.

7. People will min/max the game to death and we'll have the constant rolling FOTM class effect of people flocking from one OP class to the next as they get nerfed/buffed.

8. Even though there's no "holy trinity", people will find the optimum 5 class/role group for difficult content, and you won't be invited unless you conform to those 5 classes/roles (thus having the same effect as the "holy trinity").

Would you mind if I commented on your fears?

• Originally posted by Alot

I'm not saying this is how things are going to turn out, but these are my fears nonetheless:

Would you mind if I commented on your fears?

Not at all.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Originally posted by rwmwaffle

Both my fears are WvWvW related.

1) That people are going to insist on calling it WvWvW instead of RvR. RvR is so much easier to say.

2) That for one reason or another WvWvW wont be the replacement for DAOC's RvR that ive been waiting for.

I think the creators of Dark Age of Camelot actually own the phrase "Realm vs. Realm." 

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Gold/RMT spammers.  Hopefully there won't be any trial accounts so they'll have to pay for a new copy of the game each time they get banned.

I would just like to point out that trial accounts are vital to MMO players who live in "closed" countries. If we can't try a game, we might end up throwing away money on a game that's blocked, either by the government or by the MMO company itself. 

1. Even though I like the idea of no tank or healer, there is a certain % of the MMO crowd that enjoys playing dedicated roles.  My fear is ANET is going to alienate a good portion of them.  Hopefully there are roles that aren't dedicated to those functions but still gives those players the same level of satisfaction. By reading the previews of the Dungeons in GW2 it seems as if you are able to play the Story Mode with the holy trinity. The explorable mode however seems to be extremely deadly towards people playing it traditional however.

2. There will be too many people who could care less about working as a team during dynamic events and strictly go straight DPS, not bothering to do any support (healing, protecting, debuffing, ressing, etc.).  Eventually that becomes the norm and despite ANET's best efforts, it's every man for himself. Dynamic Events are supposed to be casual and not require a large amount of planning. In the smaller events I suspect it may be very well possible to play solo. But in the Elite Events and larger events I do get the idea that teamwork is required if you want to be able to hold your ground.

3. ANET caves to the whinners who complain that there's no "end game" at level 80 and turns this into a gear-based and raid/instance-focused game for fear of losing players.  As sad as it is to say, Blizzard has brain washed people into thinking it's all about the gear, and I fear the WoW-was-my-first-MMO crowd will be very vocal. The thing is, the people who like WoWs gameplay are still fixated on WoW, or are playing Rift/SW:TOR. But you can see that such gameplay is starting to become boring. I also believe that such gameplay is that what is stopping the MMO market from growing. It doesn't appeal to a lot of people: many people are bored my MMORPGs or don't want to invest so much time/money in a game which is there for their enjoyment.

4. The revolutionary mechanics of no kill/loot stealing that ANET is introducing will be heavily exploitable. First of all there is a damage threshold which you need to pass in order to be eligible for loot. This threshold is 5%   of the mobs health, while most of your attacks will do more damage than that 5%. If you want to exploit these mechanics you will need so much organization that it will probably be more efficient to play solo or in small teams.

5. Gold/RMT spammers.  Hopefully there won't be any trial accounts so they'll have to pay for a new copy of the game each time they get banned. We won't know if there will be trial accounts until ArenaNet announces them. But I do know that ANet and NCSoft have got a rather agressive stance on goldselling. And I don't think goldselling will be a problem since gold is relatively easy to obtain and the other currency, Karma, isn't transferrable.

6. The official GW2 forums turn into a cesspool with little to no ANET feedback.  I'd gladly accept heavy-handed forum moderation if it means we get constant dev interaction. At this point there are no official forums for GW2. The forums where the Developers post are GW2Guru, and I can tell you from personal experience that the moderation there is heavy-handed and better than the moderation on these forums. The only official forums we might get will be support oriented, which require less moderation than the dreaded General Forums.

7. People will min/max the game to death and we'll have the constant rolling FOTM class effect of people flocking from one OP class to the next as they get nerfed/buffed. With the restrictive/limited skillbar and ANets balancing experience from GW1 I don't think this will be a problem. And I think that min/maxers will soon find themselves without anything to do if they decide to go powergamer.

8. Even though there's no "holy trinity", people will find the optimum 5 class/role group for difficult content, and you won't be invited unless you conform to those 5 classes/roles (thus having the same effect as the "holy trinity"). This could potentially be a problem. But this depends on class balance and on the tactics that may be required for different dungeons. We can only hope that the game won't be too addon friendly and doesn't give players too much insight into the overall performance of different group combinations.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

This may sound ridiculous, but my greatest fear is that it will get released around the same time as Diablo III

If that comes true, than it will fall under the shadow of D3s release and the game may not be as massive as i expect...

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

Originally posted by dzoni87

This may sound ridiculous, but my greatest fear is that it will get released around the same time as Diablo III

If that comes true, than it will fall under the shadow of D3s release and the game may not be as massive as i expect...

lmaoooooo I like your sarcasm

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

1. Even though I like the idea of no tank or healer, there is a certain % of the MMO crowd that enjoys playing dedicated roles.  My fear is ANET is going to alienate a good portion of them.  Hopefully there are roles that aren't dedicated to those functions but still gives those players the same level of satisfaction. By reading the previews of the Dungeons in GW2 it seems as if you are able to play the Story Mode with the holy trinity. The explorable mode however seems to be extremely deadly towards people playing it traditional however.  I think you're agreeing with me here, maybe?  People who like playing dedicated healers/tanks will be turned off by the game being "extremely deadly towards" them.  Will GW2 appeal to them in some other way or will ANET lose those customers?  That would be tragic IMO because it isn't the majority of players but isn't an insignificant number of players either.

2. There will be too many people who could care less about working as a team during dynamic events and strictly go straight DPS, not bothering to do any support (healing, protecting, debuffing, ressing, etc.).  Eventually that becomes the norm and despite ANET's best efforts, it's every man for himself. Dynamic Events are supposed to be casual and not require a large amount of planning. In the smaller events I suspect it may be very well possible to play solo. But in the Elite Events and larger events I do get the idea that teamwork is required if you want to be able to hold your ground.  Since ANET has made the classes self sufficient (self heals, shields, damage mitigation, etc) in lieu of having dedicated healers/tanks, do you really think it will require people working together as a team or just everyone participating and worrying about themselves instead of others?

3. ANET caves to the whinners who complain that there's no "end game" at level 80 and turns this into a gear-based and raid/instance-focused game for fear of losing players.  As sad as it is to say, Blizzard has brain washed people into thinking it's all about the gear, and I fear the WoW-was-my-first-MMO crowd will be very vocal. The thing is, the people who like WoWs gameplay are still fixated on WoW, or are playing Rift/SW:TOR. But you can see that such gameplay is starting to become boring. I also believe that such gameplay is that what is stopping the MMO market from growing. It doesn't appeal to a lot of people: many people are bored my MMORPGs or don't want to invest so much time/money in a game which is there for their enjoyment.  So do you think once the majority of the players are level 80 and have done pretty much all the events several times and gotten bored with the repitition of WvWvW, will they just want to keep playing for the fun of it or will they become selfish/greedy and need the carrot to keep them interested?

4. The revolutionary mechanics of no kill/loot stealing that ANET is introducing will be heavily exploitable. First of all there is a damage threshold which you need to pass in order to be eligible for loot. This threshold is 5%   of the mobs health, while most of your attacks will do more damage than that 5%. If you want to exploit these mechanics you will need so much organization that it will probably be more efficient to play solo or in small teams.  So if I'm in an area with a lot of players killing mobs, will I level faster running around tagging/AoEing them for that 5% and doing little else or doing 1 mob at a time by myself?  Either that or having 2 or 3 man groups pulling mobs en mass and power leveling in hours not days.  Not saying that will be the case, but it is a fear.

5. Gold/RMT spammers.  Hopefully there won't be any trial accounts so they'll have to pay for a new copy of the game each time they get banned. We won't know if there will be trial accounts until ArenaNet announces them. But I do know that ANet and NCSoft have got a rather agressive stance on goldselling. And I don't think goldselling will be a problem since gold is relatively easy to obtain and the other currency, Karma, isn't transferrable.  I don't think ease of obtaining gold will have any affect on the gold seller problem.  Never underestimate the power of the lazy gamer who'd rather shell out $20 for gold than earn it themselves.  Hopefully they stay on top of the problem like Trion did with Rift and it becomes scarce.

6. The official GW2 forums turn into a cesspool with little to no ANET feedback.  I'd gladly accept heavy-handed forum moderation if it means we get constant dev interaction. At this point there are no official forums for GW2. The forums where the Developers post are GW2Guru, and I can tell you from personal experience that the moderation there is heavy-handed and better than the moderation on these forums. The only official forums we might get will be support oriented, which require less moderation than the dreaded General Forums.  I'm curious why you say the only official forums will be support oriented.  Was that the case for other ANET games?

7. People will min/max the game to death and we'll have the constant rolling FOTM class effect of people flocking from one OP class to the next as they get nerfed/buffed. With the restrictive/limited skillbar and ANets balancing experience from GW1 I don't think this will be a problem. And I think that min/maxers will soon find themselves without anything to do if they decide to go powergamer.  On the contrary I remember an ANET rep saying they didn't do dual classes in GW2 because of all the issues they had balancing it in GW.  Perhaps single classes will be the answer, but perhaps not (this is a fear thread after all :p ).

8. Even though there's no "holy trinity", people will find the optimum 5 class/role group for difficult content, and you won't be invited unless you conform to those 5 classes/roles (thus having the same effect as the "holy trinity"). This could potentially be a problem. But this depends on class balance and on the tactics that may be required for different dungeons. We can only hope that the game won't be too addon friendly and doesn't give players too much insight into the overall performance of different group combinations.  I'm sure even if people don't have access to DPS meters and whatnot, they'll still be able to judge what the most efficient group makeup is and you better believe it will be drilled down our throats.  Gone are the days of EQ and DAOC where people played for the sheer fun of experiencing the game.  Now it's all about who can do it the fastest.  Maybe GW2 will turn things around, maybe.

Originally posted by Alot

1. Even though I like the idea of no tank or healer, there is a certain % of the MMO crowd that enjoys playing dedicated roles.  My fear is ANET is going to alienate a good portion of them.  Hopefully there are roles that aren't dedicated to those functions but still gives those players the same level of satisfaction. By reading the previews of the Dungeons in GW2 it seems as if you are able to play the Story Mode with the holy trinity. The explorable mode however seems to be extremely deadly towards people playing it traditional however.  I think you're agreeing with me here, maybe?  People who like playing dedicated healers/tanks will be turned off by the game being "extremely deadly towards" them.  Will GW2 appeal to them in some other way or will ANET lose those customers?  That would be tragic IMO because it isn't the majority of players but isn't an insignificant number of players either.

2. There will be too many people who could care less about working as a team during dynamic events and strictly go straight DPS, not bothering to do any support (healing, protecting, debuffing, ressing, etc.).  Eventually that becomes the norm and despite ANET's best efforts, it's every man for himself. Dynamic Events are supposed to be casual and not require a large amount of planning. In the smaller events I suspect it may be very well possible to play solo. But in the Elite Events and larger events I do get the idea that teamwork is required if you want to be able to hold your ground.  Since ANET has made the classes self sufficient (self heals, shields, damage mitigation, etc) in lieu of having dedicated healers/tanks, do you really think it will require people working together as a team or just everyone participating and worrying about themselves instead of others?

3. ANET caves to the whinners who complain that there's no "end game" at level 80 and turns this into a gear-based and raid/instance-focused game for fear of losing players.  As sad as it is to say, Blizzard has brain washed people into thinking it's all about the gear, and I fear the WoW-was-my-first-MMO crowd will be very vocal. The thing is, the people who like WoWs gameplay are still fixated on WoW, or are playing Rift/SW:TOR. But you can see that such gameplay is starting to become boring. I also believe that such gameplay is that what is stopping the MMO market from growing. It doesn't appeal to a lot of people: many people are bored my MMORPGs or don't want to invest so much time/money in a game which is there for their enjoyment.  So do you think once the majority of the players are level 80 and have done pretty much all the events several times and gotten bored with the repitition of WvWvW, will they just want to keep playing for the fun of it or will they become selfish/greedy and need the carrot to keep them interested?

4. The revolutionary mechanics of no kill/loot stealing that ANET is introducing will be heavily exploitable. First of all there is a damage threshold which you need to pass in order to be eligible for loot. This threshold is 5%   of the mobs health, while most of your attacks will do more damage than that 5%. If you want to exploit these mechanics you will need so much organization that it will probably be more efficient to play solo or in small teams.  So if I'm in an area with a lot of players killing mobs, will I level faster running around tagging/AoEing them for that 5% and doing little else or doing 1 mob at a time by myself?  Either that or having 2 or 3 man groups pulling mobs en mass and power leveling in hours not days.  Not saying that will be the case, but it is a fear.

5. Gold/RMT spammers.  Hopefully there won't be any trial accounts so they'll have to pay for a new copy of the game each time they get banned. We won't know if there will be trial accounts until ArenaNet announces them. But I do know that ANet and NCSoft have got a rather agressive stance on goldselling. And I don't think goldselling will be a problem since gold is relatively easy to obtain and the other currency, Karma, isn't transferrable.  I don't think ease of obtaining gold will have any affect on the gold seller problem.  Never underestimate the power of the lazy gamer who'd rather shell out $20 for gold than earn it themselves.  Hopefully they stay on top of the problem like Trion did with Rift and it becomes scarce.

6. The official GW2 forums turn into a cesspool with little to no ANET feedback.  I'd gladly accept heavy-handed forum moderation if it means we get constant dev interaction. At this point there are no official forums for GW2. The forums where the Developers post are GW2Guru, and I can tell you from personal experience that the moderation there is heavy-handed and better than the moderation on these forums. The only official forums we might get will be support oriented, which require less moderation than the dreaded General Forums.  I'm curious why you say the only official forums will be support oriented.  Was that the case for other ANET games?

7. People will min/max the game to death and we'll have the constant rolling FOTM class effect of people flocking from one OP class to the next as they get nerfed/buffed. With the restrictive/limited skillbar and ANets balancing experience from GW1 I don't think this will be a problem. And I think that min/maxers will soon find themselves without anything to do if they decide to go powergamer.  On the contrary I remember an ANET rep saying they didn't do dual classes in GW2 because of all the issues they had balancing it in GW.  Perhaps single classes will be the answer, but perhaps not (this is a fear thread after all :p ).

8. Even though there's no "holy trinity", people will find the optimum 5 class/role group for difficult content, and you won't be invited unless you conform to those 5 classes/roles (thus having the same effect as the "holy trinity"). This could potentially be a problem. But this depends on class balance and on the tactics that may be required for different dungeons. We can only hope that the game won't be too addon friendly and doesn't give players too much insight into the overall performance of different group combinations.  I'm sure even if people don't have access to DPS meters and whatnot, they'll still be able to judge what the most efficient group makeup is and you better believe it will be drilled down our throats.  Gone are the days of EQ and DAOC where people played for the sheer fun of experiencing the game.  Now it's all about who can do it the fastest.  Maybe GW2 will turn things around, maybe.

1 and 2. I think that the only cases where the holy trinity is still useable would large dynamic events and elite events. Especially with the different AI tactics fully implemented these events are probably just too much too handle for solo players, trying to tackle them solo will probably result in failing an event. This is where the holy trinity could still be used. In the harder areas of the game however the traditionalists will simply have to adapt.

3. If people want a WoWlike, endgame-centric MMORPG, then why aren't they playing WoW/Rift or SW:TOR? There are plenty of traditional MMORPGs out there, so why would they bother with GW2? The fact that these players want to try out/play GW2 proves to me that they no longer desire the geargrind of traditional MMORPGs.

4. If you were to tag all mobs in the area by attacking you would probably get killed as your movement speed decreases once you have your weapons unsheathed. And we don't know at what point mobs will lose interest. Besides killing mobs provides very little xp, most xp is gained by completing dynamic events/personal story quests/or completing daily feats. And even if people were to powerlevel, would that matter? They would only be burning through content and the money they spent on the game would be wasted. And I don't think killing mobs is a good way to make money because there is now a working crafting system (unlike in GW1).

5. Okay, okay, you are spot on. This will depend on ANet's way of dealing with goldselling.

6. ANet never had official general forums, although they opened an official support forum for GW1 this year. Before that, people came to GWGuru, the largest fansite of GW1 and one of the few sites where the Developers would regularly post.

7. Will GW1 was hard to balance because of its dual-class system, for a significant time it was still considered to have the most balanced online PVP as an MMOlike game. GW2 will probably be easier to balance so I do not think this will be a problem.

8. If the optimizer crowd dominates the PvE-side of the game, and I do not believe this will happen, then you could still do group-based content with your guild or switch to smaller servers while retaining your characters (ANet wants players to be able to easily switch servers, just like in GW1).

1 and 2. I think that the only cases where the holy trinity is still useable would large dynamic events and elite events. Especially with the different AI tactics fully implemented these events are probably just too much too handle for solo players, trying to tackle them solo will probably result in failing an event. This is where the holy trinity could still be used. In the harder areas of the game however the traditionalists will simply have to adapt.

3. If people want a WoWlike, endgame-centric MMORPG, then why aren't they playing WoW/Rift or SW:TOR? There are plenty of traditional MMORPGs out there, so why would they bother with GW2? The fact that these players want to try out/play GW2 proves to me that they no longer desire the geargrind of traditional MMORPGs.

4. If you were to tag all mobs in the area by attacking you would probably get killed as your movement speed decreases once you have your weapons unsheathed. And we don't know at what point mobs will lose interest. Besides killing mobs provides very little xp, most xp is gained by completing dynamic events/personal story quests/or completing daily feats. And even if people were to powerlevel, would that matter? They would only be burning through content and the money they spent on the game would be wasted. And I don't think killing mobs is a good way to make money because there is now a working crafting system (unlike in GW1).

5. Okay, okay, you are spot on. This will depend on ANet's way of dealing with goldselling.

6. ANet never had official general forums, although they opened an official support forum for GW1 this year. Before that, people came to GWGuru, the largest fansite of GW1 and one of the few sites where the Developers would regularly post.

7. Will GW1 was hard to balance because of its dual-class system, for a significant time it was still considered to have the most balanced online PVP as an MMOlike game. GW2 will probably be easier to balance so I do not think this will be a problem.

8. If the optimizer crowd dominates the PvE-side of the game, and I do not believe this will happen, then you could still do group-based content with your guild or switch to smaller servers while retaining your characters (ANet wants players to be able to easily switch servers, just like in GW1).

Thanks for the dialog Alot, it's refreshing compared to what usually happens on these forums lol.  Anyway, on to my reply...

As far as #1, I'm not implying that there needs to be some form of the holy trinity to embrace those who like playing dedicated roles, but rather experssing a concern that there may not be a fun profession for them in GW2.  For instance, do you think the Guardian or Warrior profession will appeal to those who like playing tanks, and some other role (Water Elem maybe) appeal to those who like playing healers?  Or will those individuals be completely turned off?  I have to admit that I typically am drawn to the dedicated healer role and to a lesser extent the dedicated tank role in traditional MMO's, and as much as I'm looking forward to GW2, I can't help but be a bit concerned that the hybrid-only approach may not appeal to me.

For #2, I'm not suggesting that the content will be done solo but rather that people will do the content as a group of individuals instead of using teamwork.  Hopefully, teamwork will be required so everyone is helping each other, but that will depend on how self sufficient they make each profession.  So say 50 people are attacking a dragon, and they can complete the event with nothing but self heals and other personal skills, then teamwork goes completely out the window.

I'm in complete agreement with you on #3, but my fear is how vocal those who came from WoW will be when they don't get their shiny and the nerdrage becomes legendary.  Every post-WoW MMO that I've played has had a subset of the players try to turn it into WoW 2.0.  It's beyond stupid, but even worse is when the Devs try to appease them.

On #4, I'm not suggesting that someone might tag the mobs and run around while other people kill them, but rather someone running around an area looking for mobs that other players have pulled, just to do 5% damage with one attack and getting rewarded for basically doing nothing... or casting an AoE on mobs that a group of other players are killing and leeching off their efforts.  I realize ANET is trying very hard to prevent players from not wanting to play alongside and with each other, but I fear they might be trading one problem (kill stealing) for another (leeching).  The latter of the two is much easier to stomach since they won't be taking anything from the person doing all the work, but think about how much people loathe leechers in a PvP battleground for instance?  Will it be the same for GW2 PvE?

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

ummm.... yea, maybe i better leave it at being sarcasm :D

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

Thanks for the dialog Alot, it's refreshing compared to what usually happens on these forums lol.  Anyway, on to my reply...

As far as #1, I'm not implying that there needs to be some form of the holy trinity to embrace those who like playing dedicated roles, but rather experssing a concern that there may not be a fun profession for them in GW2.  For instance, do you think the Guardian or Warrior profession will appeal to those who like playing tanks, and some other role (Water Elem maybe) appeal to those who like playing healers?  Or will those individuals be completely turned off?  I have to admit that I typically am drawn to the dedicated healer role and to a lesser extent the dedicated tank role in traditional MMO's, and as much as I'm looking forward to GW2, I can't help but be a bit concerned that the hybrid-only approach may not appeal to me.

For #2, I'm not suggesting that the content will be done solo but rather that people will do the content as a group of individuals instead of using teamwork.  Hopefully, teamwork will be required so everyone is helping each other, but that will depend on how self sufficient they make each profession.  So say 50 people are attacking a dragon, and they can complete the event with nothing but self heals and other personal skills, then teamwork goes completely out the window.

I'm in complete agreement with you on #3, but my fear is how vocal those who came from WoW will be when they don't get their shiny and the nerdrage becomes legendary.  Every post-WoW MMO that I've played has had a subset of the players try to turn it into WoW 2.0.  It's beyond stupid, but even worse is when the Devs try to appease them.

On #4, I'm not suggesting that someone might tag the mobs and run around while other people kill them, but rather someone running around an area looking for mobs that other players have pulled, just to do 5% damage with one attack and getting rewarded for basically doing nothing... or casting an AoE on mobs that a group of other players are killing and leeching off their efforts.  I realize ANET is trying very hard to prevent players from not wanting to play alongside and with each other, but I fear they might be trading one problem (kill stealing) for another (leeching).  The latter of the two is much easier to stomach since they won't be taking anything from the person doing all the work, but think about how much people loathe leechers in a PvP battleground for instance?  Will it be the same for GW2 PvE?

1. Well, Guardian and Warrior are indeed THE classes that can handle damage. And Water Elementalists focus on support (of which healing is a part). But you must understand that Dungeons don't cater to to the holy trinity. I read in a dungeon preview about how a group of five players (two of which were developers) took on a Giant Spider boss, the Warrior and the Guardian engaged the Spider and they both got one-hitted, they only managed to kill the boss by using the hybrid model and the special mechanics that make every class unique. And you know, the preview was written by someone who was excited for GW2 but who was also a longterm MMORPG player, and guess what? He loved it despite the lack of dedicated roles. While I understand that many people don't feel comfortable with being a jack-of-all-trades, I still hope that everyone will at least try to play this way (WAY TOO LONG COMMENT, /faceslap).

2. Well, this answer may refer to 8. You have got cross-profession combos of which many can only be executed by multiple players working together. These combos are definately required for an optimal performance. While every class is self-sufficient to some extent, no class is capable of everything. There are so many effects in GW2, this includes Boons (buffs) and Condition/Special Detrimental Effects (Debuffs), these effects are of great importance in GW2 because, with exception of damage, they represent the all impact players can have on each other and on NPCs. I do not know if it will be required to play optimally in case of large scale PvE combat, but if it is then you are required to work together and pay attention to capabilities of one's class. In any case, this will all depend on the difficulty of elite events and large scale dynamic events.

3. I know, I've seen it in the Rift beta and In SW:TOR. I recall that in Rift the WoW-fans were mostly ignored until they finally shut up. I think we will mostly see the WoWer-rage in the open beta and possibly early launch, but if ArenaNet lets them talk to the hand they will eventually shut up. And I don't really see ANet giving in to the WoWers, because the developers seem much more averse towards the traditional WoW-style gameplay than for example Bioware's or Trion's developers.

4. Well the thing is, by leeching in PvE you are not actually being detrimental to other players. Whereas in a PvP-battleground you take up a spot, which reduces the efficiency of one side and may cause that side to lose. There is no way that PvE leechers in the game will be able to affect you negatively. My apologies, but I can't really see how leeching in PvE will actually be a bad thing. I understand it won't be a good thing, but it can't be a bad thing since it would actually even benefit YOU a little bit.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

*snip*
    *snip*

I'm not condoning the act of leeching, and I hate the thought of someone getting credit for the work I did, but at the same time I have to remember that in GW2 it won't really affect me in any way. I will still get full credit for the kill, even if someone is leeching off the game. If that's how the leecher wants to play the game, let them. They spent the money on the game, let them play how they like, as long as it isn't detrimental to other players.

As for PvP leechers, that's something that even ArenaNet hates. We have no clue how ArenaNet will handle PvP leechers.

ummm.... yea, maybe i better leave it at being sarcasm :D

Ahh I'm glade you responded, so you were serious...

lmfaooooooooo

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by bookworm438

*snip*
    *snip*

I'm not condoning the act of leeching, and I hate the thought of someone getting credit for the work I did, but at the same time I have to remember that in GW2 it won't really affect me in any way. I will still get full credit for the kill, even if someone is leeching off the game. If that's how the leecher wants to play the game, let them. They spent the money on the game, let them play how they like, as long as it isn't detrimental to other players.

As for PvP leechers, that's something that even ArenaNet hates. We have no clue how ArenaNet will handle PvP leechers.

I'm not worried about PVE leeching for a couple reasons.

As Alot I think pointed out earlier (welcome back btw), you're risking getting a lesser reward for the event itself if you're not contributing full time.  If you did end up contributing full time by doing 5% to a bunch of mobs and then just randomly DPSing until the next wave of mobs, you're not really leeching anymore.

It also doesn't seem that efficient to me.  It seems like you'd be better off helping one guy focus down his mob, then the two of you helping someone else with their mob, until everyone in the area is focusing mobs down.  Mobs die quickly, respawns come quicker, everybody wins.

We've also seen that mobs in GW2 can hurt you.  This isn't just a traditional MMO where it's push 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and it's dead.  Leave a bunch of people to their own while you're leeching and things can get ugly if they start dying.

This game is also non-linear with instant teleportation and the ability to go back and replay any content and be rewarded for it.  If a person thinks you're leeching or for any or no reason, they can just immediately, instantly go somewhere else. 

Think about it though, a leecher's best bet is probably to get into a band of 10 people and start AOEing everything.  Who knows, maybe the whole group starts coordinating to pull mobs into an AOE kill zone. What started out as leeching turns into cooperative play.  Everybody becomes friends with a person they would have written off as a jerk in any other game.  Thanks a lot ArenaNet.  :)

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Mounts are good, why not 2 legged house with cannons and wings? You get house, keep and mount in one item!!!

Great eh?

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

*snip*

Just wanted to comment on the highlighted portion- I'm wondering if the tears of those types of players will even be meaningful in a B2P game. In P2P MMOs certainly the devs can see an effect if players start unsubbing but in a B2P game they already have their money. On top of this, so long as Anet doesn't inflate stats and instead offers unique skins and such with endgame drops then I see no issue at all. Those raid or die types will still get their shinies to chase after, Anet could bank even further if they release extra dungeon/raid content as DLC or full expansions, and those that aren't interested in that type of gameplay at endgame are left unaffected.

The lack of constant endgame PvE content imo is something only P2P MMOs have to deal with because even those players that quit logging in and play other games once they've exhausted the available PvE content still tend to return when new content is available- the worst we'd have to endure is those players that only want to PvE and have done all that they desire within the game sitting in general channels crying- but then that's what ignore is for :D

1. Well, Guardian and Warrior are indeed THE classes that can handle damage. And Water Elementalists focus on support (of which healing is a part). But you must understand that Dungeons don't cater to to the holy trinity. I read in a dungeon preview about how a group of five players (two of which were developers) took on a Giant Spider boss, the Warrior and the Guardian engaged the Spider and they both got one-hitted, they only managed to kill the boss by using the hybrid model and the special mechanics that make every class unique. And you know, the preview was written by someone who was excited for GW2 but who was also a longterm MMORPG player, and guess what? He loved it despite the lack of dedicated roles. While I understand that many people don't feel comfortable with being a jack-of-all-trades, I still hope that everyone will at least try to play this way (WAY TOO LONG COMMENT, /faceslap).

Your spider boss example actually brings up another fear of mine along the same lines... as we've all seen I'm sure, there are a large number of MMO players who really aren't all that skilled.  They are adept at moving out of harms way when needed and hitting their combat macros otherwise.  However, having to switch roles on-the-fly and be constantly moving while simultaneously using various skills would be beyond their capability.  How will they fare in GW2?  I know the natural reaction to that question is just to brush them off and say "L2P", but I suspect it's a lot more people than you might think.

3. I know, I've seen it in the Rift beta and In SW:TOR. I recall that in Rift the WoW-fans were mostly ignored until they finally shut up. I think we will mostly see the WoWer-rage in the open beta and possibly early launch, but if ArenaNet lets them talk to the hand they will eventually shut up. And I don't really see ANet giving in to the WoWers, because the developers seem much more averse towards the traditional WoW-style gameplay than for example Bioware's or Trion's developers.

On the contrary, Rift is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  There's a very long list of changes they've made to appease the WoW cry babies (dungeon finder, auto-despawning invasions, greatly reducing the probability of being dismounted when attacked, and so on).  The only reason they shut up was because they got their way.  It's an embarrassment.

Your spider boss example actually brings up another fear of mine along the same lines... as we've all seen I'm sure, there are a large number of MMO players who really aren't all that skilled.  They are adept at moving out of harms way when needed and hitting their combat macros otherwise.  However, having to switch roles on-the-fly and be constantly moving while simultaneously using various skills would be beyond their capability.  How will they fare in GW2?  I know the natural reaction to that question is just to brush them off and say "L2P", but I suspect it's a lot more people than you might think.

Well, I gave an extreme example. The Explorable Mode for dungeons is supposed to be hard and challenging for everyone who. It is some of the hardest, if not the hardest, content ingame. And so far most people who played the game found it easy to learn. Besides, you won't be exposed to braindrainingly hard content until you reach level 30. At that level you will get your first dungeon. And I suppose that by restricting/limiting the skillbar ANet has made it a lot easier for players to create builds.

On the contrary, Rift is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  There's a very long list of changes they've made to appease the WoW cry babies (dungeon finder, auto-despawning invasions, greatly reducing the probability of being dismounted when attacked, and so on).  The only reason they shut up was because they got their way.  It's an embarrassment.

I only find auto-despawning invasions to be somewhat detrimental to the game's core. Getting dismounted by being attacked is annoying in any game with mounts and dungeon finder isn't really a feature that defines WoW.  But I get your point. Although I don't think it will be possible for ArenaNet to just add endgame raids to the game once it has launched.