Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fears?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Polarisation

Fears/Dislikes?

1) Total segregaion of PVE & PVP. This makes it a more carebear game than even WOW. As dynamic as they claim, sooner or later, you ARE going to get bored of the same "dynamic" public quests. Battlegrounds will get boring super fast. Yes there is RvR, and that will probably be great, but they forgot to include the things that made DAOC RVR so engaging - reward mechanics like control of high-end PVE/PVP (darkness falls), relics (realm bonuses/bragging rights), RPs/realm ranks/realm abilities.

The word is E-sport, not carebear. If you just want to gank noobs there are plenty of games around but there are few MMOs with E-sport styled PvP. And the rewards is enough at least for me, there are plenty of bragging rights in the first GW and seems to be enough at least for me there. But sure, there are plenty of limitations.

2) Shallow gameplay. There are no energy/mana resources to manage, only HP and cooldowns, which inevitably means a more button-mashing, arcade style of gameplay. I fear GW2 is more of a multi-player online arcade game than a MMO.

Really? The thief manages initiative, the warrior adrenaline and so on. Energy is overrated in MMOs today since you usually have so much that you never run dry anyways, and it is not that meaningful when you have cooldowns anyways. 

3) Shallow world with minimal/no immersion. GW2 won't lead you by the nose from quest hub to quest hub, instead you wander around from quest hub to quest hub yourself, and the quest hubs can morph into a different quest hub. The world is basically a big collection of public quests that have no impact on the larger world or the relationship between races/factions. It is the same sh1t all over again.

Moving between quest hubs in a pre destined order is deep?

4) Cutscenes. Do not belong in an MMO. The players themselves should create the stories of the game (hello EVE), not some static cutscenes of a pre-written, scripted story. If I can turn off or bypass cutscenes completely, i will.

Cutscenes work as long as they are few enough. You might be right here and ANET might be using too many, but it is not as bad as certain others.

5) Underwater combat. So players magically acquire oxygen breathing masks and a new set of weapons/skills just by going underwater? One of the most arbitrary & worst design decisions/features in an MMO.

I really don't agree with you there. Underwater combat is the worst mechaincs in most MMOs. GW2 at least introduces special mechanics for it. It is not a perfect system but miles better than anything we ever seen before.

6) Visually noisy interface & effects. Skill animations overly animated and make the combat look like a B-grade asian arcade game. Weapons are almost ludicrously oversized in some cases. Target selection/mouseover halo effect is too garish. Even 2v2 PVP encounters are a mess of garish, overdone skill effects. GW1 was visually clean and elegant, GW2 is a dog's breakfast.

It is to make it easier to see what you amd others do, I havn't decided if I like it or not yet myself.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Polarisation

Fears/Dislikes?

1) Total segregaion of PVE & PVP. This makes it a more carebear game than even WOW. As dynamic as they claim, sooner or later, you ARE going to get bored of the same "dynamic" public quests. Battlegrounds will get boring super fast. Yes there is RvR, and that will probably be great, but they forgot to include the things that made DAOC RVR so engaging - reward mechanics like control of high-end PVE/PVP (darkness falls), relics (realm bonuses/bragging rights), RPs/realm ranks/realm abilities.

2) Shallow gameplay. There are no energy/mana resources to manage, only HP and cooldowns, which inevitably means a more button-mashing, arcade style of gameplay. I fear GW2 is more of a multi-player online arcade game than a MMO.

3) Shallow world with minimal/no immersion. GW2 won't lead you by the nose from quest hub to quest hub, instead you wander around from quest hub to quest hub yourself, and the quest hubs can morph into a different quest hub. The world is basically a big collection of public quests that have no impact on the larger world or the relationship between races/factions. It is the same sh1t all over again.

4) Cutscenes. Do not belong in an MMO. The players themselves should create the stories of the game (hello EVE), not some static cutscenes of a pre-written, scripted story. If I can turn off or bypass cutscenes completely, i will.

5) Underwater combat. So players magically acquire oxygen breathing masks and a new set of weapons/skills just by going underwater? One of the most arbitrary & worst design decisions/features in an MMO.

6) Visually noisy interface & effects. Skill animations overly animated and make the combat look like a B-grade asian arcade game. Weapons are almost ludicrously oversized in some cases. Target selection/mouseover halo effect is too garish. Even 2v2 PVP encounters are a mess of garish, overdone skill effects. GW1 was visually clean and elegant, GW2 is a dog's breakfast.

Shallow combat...right http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttfOuxB6Gc in alpha, I could post G-Star footage if I want to but no need :/.

I wonder though what mmorpg do you considered the best you've ever played,  think I'll understand were your coming from.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please refrain from personally attacking other users.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Originally posted by stealthbr

Some of my fears:

1.) Immersion: From UI elements to instant world teleportation to zone loading, I fear the immersion factor will suffer. Simply put, I think being able to teleport nearly anywhere in map instantly makes the world feel smaller and less epic. UI elements such as the glow around enemy monsters also seem far too indicative. Zone loading, with artifical forms of portals (meaning, it isn't realistic at all, just a portal), between zones makes the world feel less seamless and ports to enter a city also take away from immersion. - yeah because it so hurt the thousands that played Skyrim immersion. Seems to be more of just your dislike of fast travel; then a fear that the majority of people that play GW2 will not feel immersed in the game.

Skyrim does not equal to Guild Wars 2. It's a game mostly played in first person with a very small amount of UI elements, more believable gameplay mechanics than your average game, etc. It's simply impossible to compare. However, I will tell you that the immersion factor GREATLY increases by not teleporting as you actually get to explore the world and see the places that you come by throughout your journeys.

2.) PvP: Having PvP exclusive to certain areas/instances I fear will take away from the rush and excitement that I am so fond of in PvP. I think some of my greatest PvP moments come from PvPing in the open world, where you are doing something else and never know what to expect, always looking behind your back, always fighting in different scenarios. -Yep like it hurt DAOC! Again it seems more of your own preference for open world PVP with ganking than a fear that players of GW2 will not enjoy WvW and E-Sport PVP.

Never played DAoC, but the point still stands. The unpredictable, the unknown, the mysterious always will provide a rush of adrenaline and excitement to the human form. I didn't say I feared PvP would suck. I said I thought that making PvP exclusive to certain zones/instances could take away from the excitement that comes from PvPing when you least expect it.

3.) Cinematics and Personal Story: After witnessing their videos on cinematic dialogues and personal story, I fear the game just won't cut it when it comes to providing a cinematic experience. The awkward character gestures, stiffness, pauses between dialogues, lack of eye contact, unchanging camera angles, etc. all make the game's cinematic appeal less than stellar. - Your opinion here and nothing else!

True, but isn't all of this? Try stating why you think the cinematics will be cool even with what I stated above.

4.) Character Progression and Power Growth: I fear that the game will allow the player to reach a power wall relatively quickly, just like in Guild Wars 1. I personally enjoy seeing my character become stronger and stronger, getting more interesting, epic, and powerful items.  -Again nothing here but your personal dislike.

Alright. 

5.) Dynamic Events: I fear Dynamic Events will feel too artificial because of the fact that they have to have scalable objectives. When objectives are specific and tailored to your character, I feel the plausability of the objectives at hand becomes far greater. - The first part is a reasonable fear for all GW2 players! The last part is nothing but pure opinion and hyperbole, unless you can provide proof that all the past MMOs are full of so much quest variety that they do not suffer the same fate as the DEs.

It's a simple logical conclusion based on a perceived limitation. But I'll rest this point until I have had hands-on experience with the system.

6.) Player factions: I fear that the lack of a true enemy player faction will take away from that "real conflict" feeling. Meaning, you may be fighting other players in WvWvW, but they are of the same faction as you are and what changes is their color, which makes the conflict feel artificial and not real.

Not a dislike, a fear. I have not played the game so I can't say it is a dislike. There is a difference and a very clear one you were not able to identify.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by DLangley

Please refrain from personally attacking other users.

Are we allowed to conjure undead minions to attack other poster for us?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• SunSoulSunSoul Member Posts: 6

I only have two fears for the game at the moment.

1. Community building.

AreneNet have stated that there game is all about community building, and have designed there game around it. No more competition between players from the same server etc. But on the other hand, they have also stated that you can move freely between servers just like you can now in GW1 by switching channels. It is my opinion you can not have one without that other. If to many players are constantly switching servers you will never be able to build a Community on a server. ArenaNet have acknowledged this problem, but sofar no answer what there plans are going to be.

I don't think there is ever going to be a right solution for this in a server based game. Only game where this will never be a problem is EVE.

2. Difficulty level of PVE.

I know ArenaNet stated that there demo's where tuned down in difficulty so that people could get used to the new combat of GW2. But it has got me thinking, how hard will they make the PVE game. If it is going to be too easy by my standards, then it will make my experience of the PVE game less enjoyable, but then that difficulty level might make it to hard for others and there for less enjoyable for them. Of course every MMO will have this problem in some degree.

But even is PVE is going to be to easy, not counting dungeons in explorer mode, I expect to get my kicks from WvW anyway.

• rdashrdash Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by SunSoul

1. Community building.

AreneNet have stated that there game is all about community building, and have designed there game around it. No more competition between players from the same server etc. But on the other hand, they have also stated that you can move freely between servers just like you can now in GW1 by switching channels. It is my opinion you can not have one without that other. If to many players are constantly switching servers you will never be able to build a Community on a server. ArenaNet have acknowledged this problem, but sofar no answer what there plans are going to be.

I don't think there is ever going to be a right solution for this in a server based game. Only game where this will never be a problem is EVE.

Here's the thing - the fact that players can constantly switch servers doesn't mean they constantly will. People will naturally settle as soon as they find community they want to settle in - trying to force them to do it before then will only result in unhappy players and communities built on forced boundaries instead of companionship.

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88

I have only one fear, World layers. Say for  example my friend follows different path in the story the district changes based on the choice, its a different layer wich means i wont see him. they might have a solution to that but well see, i realy hope im wrong.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by andreika111

I have only one fear, World layers. Say for  example my friend follows different path in the story the district changes based on the choice, its a different layer wich means i wont see him. they might have a solution to that but well see, i realy hope im wrong.

This is only one instance in your home town, and your friend can invite you to visit him in his version.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SunSoulSunSoul Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by rdash

1. Community building.

Here's the thing - the fact that players can constantly switch servers doesn't mean they constantly will. People will naturally settle as soon as they find community they want to settle in - trying to force them to do it before then will only result in unhappy players and communities built on forced boundaries instead of companionship.

I wonder if your statement holds true for WvW. I can easly see it happening that lots of players will want to transfer to a more active WvW server if there own server does not have an active WvW community. But they need to draw the line somewhere otherwise those active WvW servers will be run over with people from other servers. So in my opinion, forced boundaries are inevitable.

But ArenaNet have shown that they are quite capable with coming up with the right solutions for most problems. I hope they will come up with a solutions that will have the best of both worlds. Freedom with restrictions. :)

• rdashrdash Member Posts: 121

1. Community building.

I wonder if your statement holds true for WvW. I can easly see it happening that lots of players will want to transfer to a more active WvW server if there own server does not have an active WvW community. But they need to draw the line somewhere otherwise those active WvW servers will be run over with people from other servers. So in my opinion, forced boundaries are inevitable.

But ArenaNet have shown that they are quite capable with coming up with the right solutions for most problems. I hope they will come up with a solutions that will have the best of both worlds. Freedom with restrictions. :)

Why would they draw a line? They don't need design restrictions, they have technical ones (server cap) - and if they could, they would get rid of them, too. There's nothing wrong in people gathering in WvW servers if that's their thing, just like there's nothing wrong in PvP/PvE/RP focused communities. I see no problem to be solved here.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Ok not sure why my earlier post was deleted so I'll re-post and say thanx a lot Mods. Nothing in there went against the roc.

My only fear is that the game will be a little to different from the norm. I would hate to see the same people who complain that they are sick of cookie cutter rehashes of current games given a new skin rather than doing things differently only to try out GW2 and maybe it is to different so they leave. I don't fear the differences for myself but I would like the game to do well based on their ideas alone. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• mightyjoxermightyjoxer Member Posts: 34

First of all thanks for all the posts. Some of the posts in this thread were long and I tried to read all of them however from some replies I could see they might have misinterpretted me or what I was asking. So I thought I should define what I meant by "Fear"

The three things I posted I have never tried in any game before so am a little anxious about the results. I havent tried them yet so I may not like it ,but as of right now I cant hate or dislike cause haven't tried them yet.

1. Same race the 4 games i mentioned had different races however i noticed the new games coming out that I am interested in(GW2,AA,TSW) all have the same races on each side. Is this then the new trend?<--sry lil offtopic question but am curious

2.Teleporting. never tried teleporting but am used to waypoints that can bind to. Someone said they would be underwater if have link to that I may take this one off my list.

3.Most other games could have more action bars,but i guess what I am wondering is why not have 10 weapon skills from one weapon and you can choose 5 like the utility side where you can choose.

Hopes this helps 

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

<self edited out...mods please remove this post>

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

1. Community building.

One thing people should keep in mind about WvW PVP is that servers get matched up against other servers of similar strength.  So if you're winning, your matches will get harder and harder, and if you're losing, they'll get easier and easier until they're about right.

Suppose that if they did this for a while so that each server was ranked accurately from strongest to weakest.  What if they then fixed all the matchups from then on?  You'd expect the 2nd and 3rd best servers to consistently lose against the 1st, and you'd expect the 3rd worst server to consistently win against the two weakest servers.

So it might not be that people will flock to the best servers.  If someone wants to play against the best competition, maybe they will, but it might be a frustrating experience to find you're still losing a lot of your matches.  Also if someone wanted to just bully people, they might actually transfer in the other direction and try to be the big fish in a small pond.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I am afraid of snakes and spiders.

And Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden and Barack Obama.

And Brussel Sprouts.

And getting too hyped over this game totally because I thought the first one SUCKED.

And midgets.

And walking on the campus of Virginia Tech.

And monkeys.

And midget-monkeys.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420

Biggest fear?  It's still the level of action in the game.  Many MMO players I know actually prefer the stand and shoot style to the dodge and roll style.  To them, that was the accessibility factor.  They do not, or in quite a few cases can not, play at any level, when they are trying to move.  Personally, I love me some FPS, etc.  but am a little concerned about moving and casting myself.  By no means am I a novice,  I've been playing games since the days of the C= 64 and before.  However, trying to dodge, hit #1, and recover enough to figure out what to do next can definitely become a problem.

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

My fear is they change their combat system to cater to the sit there and let them hit you type players. another fear is that this game takes another year to be released.  Its getting to be like Duke Nukem in a sense in that this hype is way up there and then you get the product and it turns out to be amateur 12 year old giggles. 

-I am here to perform logic

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by mightyjoxer

First of all thanks for all the posts. Some of the posts in this thread were long and I tried to read all of them however from some replies I could see they might have misinterpretted me or what I was asking. So I thought I should define what I meant by "Fear"

The three things I posted I have never tried in any game before so am a little anxious about the results. I havent tried them yet so I may not like it ,but as of right now I cant hate or dislike cause haven't tried them yet.

1. Same race the 4 games i mentioned had different races however i noticed the new games coming out that I am interested in(GW2,AA,TSW) all have the same races on each side. Is this then the new trend?<--sry lil offtopic question but am curious

If you mean how every class can be race and that everyone can be every race, then I don't see that as an issue. All other games do is prevent me from doing what I want. Like in LOTRO I wanted to create a Hobbit Lore Master but the game wouldn't let me, which took away some of the enjoyment I could have had.

2.Teleporting. never tried teleporting but am used to waypoints that can bind to. Someone said they would be underwater if have link to that I may take this one off my list.

Well then it would be a new experience for you. Here's a video demonstrating the game's underwater.

3.Most other games could have more action bars,but i guess what I am wondering is why not have 10 weapon skills from one weapon and you can choose 5 like the utility side where you can choose.

The problem with most other games is that you skill bar is full of situational skills you almost never use, or buffs. Here's a screenshot of my Cleric in Rift. You can see that I have 4 action bars with skills filling my screen but out of all those abilities, I only end up pressing about 4 of them most of the time (2 more if I wanna do AOEs). That's why I don't think that games with tons of abilities mean more options.

Now as for your suggestion regarding providing each weapon with twice the number of skills and having players choose what skills they want. That will never happen, because ArenaNet doesn't want people creating absolutely useless builds, like they did in GW1, by bringing skills that don't synergize well together. Also I would like to see you try to come up with 5 more Warrior Greatsword skills that aren't redundant or loss the indentity of the Greatsword. No seriously, here are the Warrior Greatsword skills, come up with 5 more, that retain the identity of the Greatsword and aren't similar to any other ability. Then do that with every other weapon the Warrior has.

Not too easy, don't you think. image

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by mightyjoxer

Hopes this helps 

1)  GW2 is trying to make a purely cooperative experience in PVE.  There's no factions because they want you to always want to see other people, not worry if they're going to try to screw you.  They even want anybody to be able to play with their friends right away, regardless of race, so there are teleporters in each capital city to take you to the other capitals.  You can access these right after the tutorial.

Archeage is trying to be a sandbox.  I haven't done a ton of research but it seems like you start as part of a faction but can branch out and make your own or something.

In TSW, isn't everybody a human but you're part of three different factions which each are vying for control while they try to deal with all the crazy stuff?

I wouldn't think of it as a new trend necessarily.  It looks to me like it just happens to fit the lore or gameplay style of what each game is trying to do.

2)  I actually couldn't find anything about underwater waypoints, but if you look at the leaked maps, you see more than a few right on the coasts of bodies of water.  I'm not really sure why you couldn't have underwater waypoints, since everyone has a breathing apparatus.  I would imagine that there has to be one in some quaggan town somewhere that we just don't know about.

3)  This is just my guess, but I would think for a couple reasons. 

The first is that it's much harder to balance.  Not only because of the skills, but you'd also need to create double the number of weapon based traits and then balance those as well.

It's also more complex.  Part of the reason for tying skills to weapons in the first place was because people were bad at builds in GW1, so they want to make it so you can't really gimp yourself.  If you had 10 options, it would be that much harder to pick the ones you wanted.  Also in PVP, if you see someone with a weapon, you at least have some idea what they can do, even if you don't know the traits.  With 10 available, you have that much less of an idea.

There'd probably be FOTM builds, where people would think you were a noob because you weren't using the proper 5.

Also, if they created 5 more skills, they could just create another weapon.  People are already complaining because there's no 2H axe in the game.  It's not as flexible as choosing 5 of 10, but I think people would appreciate new weapons, new skins, etc more.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Im quite positive that WvWvW areas have dynamic events. I remember an example from an interview where a question was asked if WvWvW has anything to do on a smaller scale. For when there werent enough ppl around. The dev then mentioned an example of a quarry that supplies stones for a fortress siege engines. If your group is too small to take over the fortress (those are apparently guarded by npcs in default state), you could then instead cut of the supply to the fortress.

This means that you can do PVE stuff inside the WvWvW zones. And be ganked by PVP players that catch you doing that. So in WvWvW areas, PVP isnt seperated from PVE.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by someforumguy

Im quite positive that WvWvW areas have dynamic events. I remember an example from an interview where a question was asked if WvWvW has anything to do on a smaller scale. For when there werent enough ppl around. The dev then mentioned an example of a quarry that supplies stones for a fortress siege engines. If your group is too small to take over the fortress (those are apparently guarded by npcs in default state), you could then instead cut of the supply to the fortress.

This means that you can do PVE stuff inside the WvWvW zones. And be ganked by PVP players that catch you doing that. So in WvWvW areas, PVP isnt seperated from PVE.

That's also a fact, I'll edit this post when i find a link or if I'm ninja'd but there will be DE in WvWvW as well as mobs or least NPC's as enemies and allies.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by cali59

The first is that it's much harder to balance.  Not only because of the skills, but you'd also need to create double the number of weapon based traits and then balance those as well.

It's also more complex.  Part of the reason for tying skills to weapons in the first place was because people were bad at builds in GW1, so they want to make it so you can't really gimp yourself.  If you had 10 options, it would be that much harder to pick the ones you wanted.  Also in PVP, if you see someone with a weapon, you at least have some idea what they can do, even if you don't know the traits.  With 10 available, you have that much less of an idea.

There'd probably be FOTM builds, where people would think you were a noob because you weren't using the proper 5.

Also, if they created 5 more skills, they could just create another weapon.  People are already complaining because there's no 2H axe in the game.  It's not as flexible as choosing 5 of 10, but I think people would appreciate new weapons, new skins, etc more.

I think they made it so to save time mainly. I would had prefered choosing my skills from a list myself.

It is also easy to add new weapons to the game like this, and they could also add special magical weapons that have one of the attacks exchanged with something else if they want later.

Still, I hope they change this with an expansion later. I like making builds in GW.

• claytosclaytos Member Posts: 177

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by cali59

I think they made it so to save time mainly. I would had prefered choosing my skills from a list myself.

It is also easy to add new weapons to the game like this, and they could also add special magical weapons that have one of the attacks exchanged with something else if they want later.

Still, I hope they change this with an expansion later. I like making builds in GW.

Your build will consist of your 2 weapon slots, your 5 utility skill and the trait system. Oh.. and the profession unique mechanic. 

Plenty of build possibility.  And don't forget chain skill and the changing skill of the thief when he go stealth.