Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game could have been so much more

12346»

Comments

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

I agree with most of the OP. Sounds like he played EVE Online. I noticed they did put in a few features that are very EVEish...I think in time they will become more and more detailed with new features.....this game is VERY young and not really ready for release in my opinion.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• DarnRightDarnRight Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by Yamota

First of I would like to say that what Bioware has produced is not bad. It is a solid game with responsive controls, good UI, well done gfx and sound, interesting storylines etc but every time when I think of this game I feel this game could have been so much more.

Imagine for example looking up and seeing an X-Wing fly through the sky and you would know that this ship is controlled by another person. Then imagine the same X-Wing going into space and docking with a nebulon frigate (name?), which is owned by a mega player run corporation.

In that ship you would have real quarters, no instanced, which player could own and have other visit. You can continue with this thought experiment but I feel, well I know, that Bioware did not at all tried to re-create the SW universe in an MMORPG but just focus on ground combat, instances etc.

Really dont understand why companies aren't thinking big when they have such an IP on their hands. It was similar with Star Trek Online, a stupid space shooter instead of trying to create a persistant Star Trek World which can be about so much more than just instanced combat.

For example, what if Bioware took all the money they spent on voice acting and instead tried to create an interesting persistant world. I for one think the game would be much better as a result, a much better MMORPG that is. After all, what do I care about voice acting? I can watch a real movie if I want some acting.

It's nothing like STO. And this game is just launching. Wouldn't it be prudent to give it some time instead of making judgements against what hasn't happened?

BTW I as well as most I have chatted with in game, guild or outside, have been very pleased. There's niggles, there always is, but overall the responce has been great.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by ZigZags

I agree with most of the OP. Sounds like he played EVE Online. I noticed they did put in a few features that are very EVEish...I think in time they will become more and more detailed with new features.....this game is VERY young and not really ready for release in my opinion.

Screw that young excuse. Rift was expected to launch with 7 years of content. TOR does not get some magical pass.

Eveish? Like it not being a sandbox in space? I guess I don't follow that logic, but at least you're not making it Wowish, that opinion I am sick of.

Originally posted by Puremallace

Screw that young excuse. Rift was expected to launch with 7 years of content. TOR does not get some magical pass.

Don't play. Last thing we need and complainers. Works for me. :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Uhmm anyone expecting that of Rift ,was as off-base as you are with this statement.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RycheanRychean Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Yamota

First of I would like to say that what Bioware has produced is not bad. It is a solid game with responsive controls, good UI, well done gfx and sound, interesting storylines etc but every time when I think of this game I feel this game could have been so much more.

Imagine for example looking up and seeing an X-Wing fly through the sky and you would know that this ship is controlled by another person. Then imagine the same X-Wing going into space and docking with a nebulon frigate (name?), which is owned by a mega player run corporation.

In that ship you would have real quarters, no instanced, which player could own and have other visit. You can continue with this thought experiment but I feel, well I know, that Bioware did not at all tried to re-create the SW universe in an MMORPG but just focus on ground combat, instances etc.

Really dont understand why companies aren't thinking big when they have such an IP on their hands. It was similar with Star Trek Online, a stupid space shooter instead of trying to create a persistant Star Trek World which can be about so much more than just instanced combat.

For example, what if Bioware took all the money they spent on voice acting and instead tried to create an interesting persistant world. I for one think the game would be much better as a result, a much better MMORPG that is. After all, what do I care about voice acting? I can watch a real movie if I want some acting.

They said the same exact thing about WoW when it was released. "This game could have been so much more" "See you when you hit cap in a week and decide that your bored. You'll be back to EQ or AO or DaoC or whatever your flavor was at the time." Success breeds detractors. Just saying.

The thing about MMOs is none of them are what they're going to be at release. The good ones evolve and grow. The bad ones wither and die because they don't have the support they need to make it through the lean times. Or they just have a bad product to begin with.

I can't speak for everyone but as for myself, I'm enjoying the storylines and enjoying the game play and the game overall is refreshing because it's new.   We'll have to see if Bioware continues building on the product to make it into what it has the potential to be.

I'm pretty sure Bioware is investing huge time in expanding the universe of the game and this game will have everything that people are looking for.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

In some ares, the game reminds me of how EQ2 launched, such as:

• Advanced class progression.  (forced to waste time just to try out a main class) (always a bad idea)

• Too much zoning between places.  (travelling takes too many clicks)

• Cartoon/Plastic looking art.  (subjective opinion, but i don't like it)

• Group content (open-world elite zones and group quests) (this is a good thing)

• etc.

-Multi-questing zones from lvl 1 would have been amazing.  Instead, we can't quest in other starter zones (blizzard also took this route recently with goblins/worgen too).

-We're stuck with only one starter zone, shared by 2 classes.

-It's just too linear, which will be too repetitive with alts.

-Backdrop scenes that are inaccessible kills immersion.

-We can't save some keybinds and settings across characters (how they let this go by boggles the mind).

-The worst "Auction House" (GTN) i've ever used in any MMO (Aion comes 2nd).

-Unused space makes a cluttered UI, when it should be minimal, so we can have maximum real estate on the screen.

I could go on, but you get the picture.  When compared to other MMOs, it falls way short on some basic mechanics.

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

The one thing that stood out about your post was "good ui", it's been one of the main topics of discussion...as in the UI is horrible. I'm surprised you wrote that to be honest.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Distopia

Uhmm anyone expecting that of Rift ,was as off-base as you are with this statement.

Trion said they had a year's worth of updates in the pipeline for Rift. They're still putting out updates so they've lived up to their word.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• steelfrenzysteelfrenzy Member Posts: 147

I agree completely. I suppose I'm rather biased, though, as I honestly didn't see the major appeal of KOTOR in the first place. I bought it on day one, beat it on day two and wondered where my money went on day three.

I understand that they wanted to make it a kotor-like mmo, but ..eh. I really would rather have had what the OP has described. Maybe I don't know what gamers want nowadays, but I'd rather not have a "cinematic experience". While I do love the story-line (and honestly it seems to be the major focal point of SWTOR) I would rather have a ... well... a video game. Maybe I'm crazy, might be nostalgic, most likely what I want isn't what the rest of the world desires anymore.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Ok a few things !!!! First off if you find my posts on the swtor forums and read them it will make sense when I say I told you so on here lol. Second what on earth was you all expecting!!!!! EA had its sticky little fingers in the jar from day one!! It was obvious the game was going to be overadvertised and over rated lol and third. Its utterly a clone of wows structure because all you wow tards made that game model a huge money spinner and no brainer for games companies so now all games are wow!!!! Games developers know you people willingly accept shit!!! For your hard earned cash lol and that's exactly what they gave you!!!!
  • osiriszoranosiriszoran Member Posts: 86

Yall being very picky for a game not yet released or having 7 years of content releases. For what is in so far the game is really good and its really fun to enjoy with friends and guildies.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by onthestick

Originally posted by AdamTM

Calling a game that ran around 6 years, with around 300k subs (for a sandbox, pre WoW) for nearly 2 years, a failure, gives new meaning to the word "failure".

The new meaning of failure is now success.

300K for 2 years pre WOW..that pretty much confirms what i was saying why no company would touch a SWG type of MMO again.

Why? WAR, AoC, DCU and probably even Rift is going to end up with fewer subs than that. So say what you want about SWG but it was a success story.

The only reason it ended bad was because if the idiotic decision to roll out NGE to make it more WoW like and that was a decision based on greed and not, at that time, the state of SWG.

I can bet that SW:TOR will end up with less than 300k subs. It will start with something like 2-3 million subs, then after 6 months it will go down to 500k and after a year it will start to drop below 300k and for sure after two years it will be less than that.

Ofcourse Bioware could turn this around but from what I have seen and heard this game has very little lasting appeal.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Decadentia

The one thing that stood out about your post was "good ui", it's been one of the main topics of discussion...as in the UI is horrible. I'm surprised you wrote that to be honest.

Depends on what UIs you have seen. If you want horrible UI look at Mortal Online, Darkfall and Eve. Compared to those SW:TORs UI was good. Rifts UI is much better but that is another story.