Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game could have been so much more

Comments

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

I don't understand these threads at all. The game hasn't even officially launched yet and people are complaining about things that I am sure Bioware will tweak down the road. People are not seeing the big picture in that SWTOR is one of the biggest and most polished MMO's to ever launch.

I see a drive and determination in the Bioware crew that I have never seen in an MMO company before. I am confident that SWTOR will be the best on the market eventually and will take over the MMO king title at some point. I have faith (That I didn't used to have) that they will listen to their players.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

For me putting a wow gameplay on top of their story was just the wrong way to make their 1r mmo, yes its less risky, yes its easier. But you know the easier route is not always the best, they should have made a game that have some cohesion like Mass Effect or DA. Not a Star Wow. If i want to play Wow, i'll just do that, Blizzard don't need Bioware or even LA, to make their game more appealing, i'm sure they would had contacted them if they need their help. For a company like Bioware that have such a strong personality i think it's just bad taste, and a stupid move. Especially because this game will probably bring them more attention than all their games put together. But they probably know better.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by zakiyawow

I am still waiting on ANY of the posters who said companies took the easy way out to put THEIR money in a different type of game.

Sure, it is easy to say things when our money is not involved. If I were to invest in a MMO, you can bet I will want company to use the proven fomular.

I am a long time gamer but I have to say : Bwtween passion and money, I pick money. Just being honest. Passion does not feed me, cloth me or put a roof over me.

So in other words... If you could, you'd bring yet another derivative MMO to the market...

Awesome.

You'd rather blend in with all the others who followed that trend, rather than stand out as something unique and different. You'd do this even though, with only a few exceptions, every other MMO to go that route has met with underwhelming results and has either been taken offline, is limping along with weak subscriber numbers or has given up the fight and switched to F2P. 

That's wonderful company to be in, for sure.

Something different can be very successful - if it's executed well. The issues you'll mostly find with games that try to break the mold isn't the idea or concepts in the game, but the poor execution of those ideas and concepts.

IF my money is involved, sadly, yes. If I were to invest something, I want something in return. I don't print money and I will not gamble on money. That, is what I am trying to say in term of being a company. Trying to stand out does not mean making money back. Being a gamer, for sure I want something fun and new. However, if I were the investor, why would I want to gamble on cash ? 

I do not disagree something different "could be" very successful. However, it goes back to WHO will want to gamble their money on it ? Big company or not, they have a company to run. Just becaue they have cash does not mean it makes any sense to try to stand out and risk millions of dollar. 

Look at all the small company who tried to be different. They develop something to be differernt. People found the game not executed well and what happens ? People trash the game and then take off. Big company or not, it will be the same. If people do not like it, they move on to something else. Only the company and investors are left to clean up the mess.

Sure, they can try to execute it well to some extend. But, from what I have seen on this board, people want different things. There is NO way to make everyone happy. For some, it will be perfect and for some it will be crap. 

Sovrath understands what I was trying to say. For those who wish to have a different game, either you have to support those type of games or invest your own money. Bashing a themepark game does not show those "big company" that the risk outweight the proven trend.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by returnintor

Originally posted by Mckiediz

Nope it is not SWG 2.0.

It is as KOTOR MMo-ish as Bioware meant to make it

KOTOR was a themepark RPG and  it was a load of fun for what it is.

SWToR is a load of fun right now.

Take it and rate it for what it is.

I think what people are saying is that Bioware and EA made a seriouds mistake in notr making SWG 2.0 and, instead, marketing this poorly designed and constructed KOTOR MMO-ish thempark. No combat log? All these instances? Closed, limited, dead little worlds? Ridiculous.

I am sincrely glad you're having 'a load of fun'. I don't think the majority of people who bought the game will experience that.

Considering the dismal condition of SWG from its release till its death i am glad they didn't make another failure like SWG. No company would be foolish enough to make another SWG. That game had its chance now time to move on.

No one knows what majority will like or dislike to i suggest talk about yourself.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by onthestick

Nope it is not SWG 2.0.

I think what people are saying is that Bioware and EA made a seriouds mistake in notr making SWG 2.0 and, instead, marketing this poorly designed and constructed KOTOR MMO-ish thempark. No combat log? All these instances? Closed, limited, dead little worlds? Ridiculous.

I am sincrely glad you're having 'a load of fun'. I don't think the majority of people who bought the game will experience that.

Considering the dismal condition of SWG from its release till its death i am glad they didn't make another failure like SWG. No company would be foolish enough to make another SWG. That game had its chance now time to move on.

No one knows what majority will like or dislike to i suggest talk about yourself.

Calling a game that ran around 6 years, with around 300k subs (for a sandbox, pre WoW) for nearly 2 years, a failure, gives new meaning to the word "failure".

The new meaning of failure is now success.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

So why don't you follow your own advise and stop claiming to know what they do like.

Originally posted by AdamTM

Calling a game that ran around 6 years, with around 300k subs (for a sandbox, pre WoW) for nearly 2 years, a failure, gives new meaning to the word "failure".

300K for 2 years pre WOW..that pretty much confirms what i was saying why no company would touch a SWG type of MMO again.

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Nope it is not SWG 2.0.

If SWTOR had been launched in the same condidition, and with the same amount of content that SWG launched with, it would have failed miserably in this day and age.  

Instead, it's flourishing so far.  I think BW made the right decision.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

300k is a lot, though... 

That's still a lot of monthly bank if you're a sub based game.

I'd call 300k quite profitable actually.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It's all about box sales these days, grab the cash and move on to the next subpar project.

Tired of paying for garbage? Then stop paying for garbage. It's really that simple. Until the gaming community starts to demand more from developers, we'll keep getting the same old tired half-a** games.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by Otakun

So, we can't expect a company to give us a better product then what is already currently available for the same price

Gosh, I don't know, why can't we squeeze a decade or more of development into four years, deliver it all in one box, and for the same price?

That's Baffling.

Then they shouldn't charge the same price. {mod edit}

True. SOE and LA fucked up SOE badly - but even so, it contained such quality that people still wanted to play it. And 'moving on' is a lazy reaction. Try 'remake it better'.

Oh, and of course people know what the majority will or will not dislike. It's how some business and investors make billions by planning ahead while others, who simply churn out generic, shoddily made crap go bust when the market catches on to the poverty of their product.

When i will see it actually happening we would know what majority really wants. So far it is quite the opposite. The quality and polish rules above everything else and Trion has proven that and i am glad Bioware is following the same formula.

• PossumPossum Member UncommonPosts: 65

for me, swtor feels like bioware was making kotor 3 and than someone said: "lets give it a mmo component".

unfortunatly the mmo part feels unfinished for me.

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Originally posted by Zekiah

It's all about box sales these days, grab the cash and move on to the next subpar project.

Tired of paying for garbage? Then stop paying for garbage. It's really that simple. Until the gaming community starts to demand more from developers, we'll keep getting the same old tired half-a** games.

If TOR is half assed then I have lost any sense of credibility to this site's community. 

Originally posted by Happyguy83

Originally posted by Zekiah

If TOR is half assed then I have lost any sense of credibility to this site's community. 

Hahah i am surprised that you had any sense of credibilty attached to these forums to begin with. ;p

Every single MMO whether themepark or Sandbox is ripped apart here. The only good MMO is that exists in our heads.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Its all about playing it safe... When you go to ABC Capital investment firm and say I have a great idea about an MMO, the first question they will ask you; is it like World of Warcraft? Like it or not, the bar has been set by WoW as THE profitability measuring stick. We may never see another sandbox-ish SWG mmo again, because it is somewhat of a niche game that does not lend itself to a gigantic profit potenial. Bioware played it safe with the theme park/WoW copy design, not because they were incompetent; but because they had their MOST important clients in mind, their shareholders.

Originally posted by Requiamer

You obviously talk for everyone as well.

Nope, i didn't. Nowhere i said 'majority' or tried to talk on behalf of other players. It is my personal opinion that no company would sink money into another sandbox MMO like SWG. I suggest you start reading properly.

But fact still remains that SWG lost a lot of players after WOW release and SOE/LA made a last ditch effort to appeal it to larger player base. No company likes to destroy a perfectly profitable MMO just out of fun.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

300K for 2 years pre WOW..that pretty much confirms what i was saying why no company would touch a SWG type of MMO again.

Curious, because at SWG launch only 3 games held more subs:

Lineage (3 Million) , FF XI (500k for 2 years) and Everquest (400k for 2 years)

Of which 2 are in the same range and Lineage is korean and has almost exclusively korean subs at that time, so it doesn't count, different market ;)

Curious, because at SWG launch only 3 games held more subs:

Lineage (3 Million) , FF XI (500k for 2 years) and Everquest (400k for 2 years)

Of which 2 are in the same range and Lineage is korean and has almost exclusively korean subs at that time, so it doesn't count, different market ;)

And yet SWG lost its player base after WOW release..the market is not as different as you think. Or you are telling me that SOE/LA sabotaged a proftable MMO? come on dude i played SWG for 5 years and i still remember the decline and the loss of player base that lead to all the changes.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

But fact still remains that SWG lost a lot of players after WOW release and SOE/LA made a last ditch effort to appeal it to larger player base. No company likes to destroy a perfectly profitable MMO just out of fun.

This is factually incorrect and you can verify on your own... SWG hovered right around 250k-300k even after WoW released, you didnt see a huge mass exodus until after the NGE/CU which was in 2005...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Otakun

Originally posted by Icewhite

Never mind, this is pointless.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

You obviously talk for everyone as well.

Nope, i didn't. Nowhere i said 'majority' or tried to talk on behalf of other players. It is my personal opinion that no company would sink money into another sandbox MMO like SWG. I suggest you start reading properly.

I don't need your reading lesson really, thank for the offer. You talk in the name of every company, thats talking for everyone. And get a clue games fail because they don't respond to the market need, not because they are sandboxes or themepark, jesus what kind of education you had lad?

My earlier post was reagrding refraining from talking on behalf of all the players which is not same as giving my personal opinion as to why game company wouldn't touch another SWG. Two different points of discussion really.

So what is the market need right now? you seem to be very educated so please do tell. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

So what is the market need right now? you seem to be very educated so please do tell. 

Mostly it needs for people to chill :)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

...games fail because they don't respond to the market need, not because they are sandboxes or themepark...

Agreed.

It is basic Business.    If  a developer does not present a game that meets what the customers desire, the customer stops paying for the game/sub. 

All this stuff about how customers are the problem, is like the fat slob claiming women are just too picky, as the reason he is not getting dates.    Blaming the customer is just fanboism.   It is not the customers' responsiblity to 'tolerate' nor 'accept' what they do not care to.   They are not obligated to give the company a chance.

It is the company's role to attract and entertain the customer, if they want the customer to give them money.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

It could have been, but bioware just got lazy and copped out copy and pasted stuff like the combat and classes and character progression right out of wow, they didn't even try to do anything diffrent with it. Yes, This stuff kinda sells but really, anyone who is into mmo's is probally sick and tired of wow-like mmo's (rift, swtor and wow). I, myself am sick of fantasy mmorpgs, there is too many, and SWToR was the first sci-fi mmo to come out in a long time but I personally feel bioware bombed it hardcore, by just bascally making the game to be wow 2.0. It could have been so much more. To me they spent 100+ million to just make a wow clone with nothing new I honestly wouldn't have bothered.

The game is ok at best, but its nothing really special or great. i'd give it a 6/10 rating due to bioware being lazy and not bothering to do anything interesting with the IP they had for the game.

One of my main issues with the game is its severe lack of replay value, I mean, Bascally you can take 1 char thru each side and thats about all the content you have. Other than class quests all the other quests on each planet are the same for each class, so the 2nd republic char you make for example will be boring because its the exact same stuff you just did on your last republic char for 80% of the game. WoW at least has an option usually in each level bracket there is at least 2 diff zones you can go to, don't even got a option like that in swtor, your just tunneled down the same stuff.

All and all I think they should have skiped the voice acting except maybe for class quests and focused more on making the gameplay actually interesting to play.

What happened to swg was sony bascally try to world of warcraftify it, and failed hard because the fans would not stand for it. Onbe of the reasons swg was so succesful probally was because it was so diffrent and unique compared to all the other mmo's at the time, once sony took away that uniqueness via the CU and NGE the playerbase lost all interest. I do wonder how the hell they come to these massivly game changing decisions, once the exodus happened from the test server you think the devs would have thought "Hmm maybe this is not such a good idea look at all the subs being cancelled due to whats on the test server".

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!