Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The 2011 MMORPG.com Awards

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I remember thinking about how poor a year 2010 was for mmo's, but next year was going to be awesome. Now here I am, thinking the same thing again.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by eyelolled

I remember thinking about how poor a year 2010 was for mmo's, but next year was going to be awesome. Now here I am, thinking the same thing again.

Well, considering we were all having big expectations with DCUO, TERA, SWTOR, GW2 and maybe Blade&Soul, we have to admit that most of them didn't answered to our expectations.

It seems SWTOR is less then what people were expecting in 2010.

Rift is much worse, and we all can tell that from the general information gathered in many many sites and forums.

DCUO is actually very good but what made a great change in it was the decision to go F2P after a while, letting a lot of players to try it and get seriously hooked: I was one of those that thougth it wasn't nothing special and never gave it a 2nd thougth because of the sub, but then I tried it and is much much better than I supposed. It also seems to have good feedback from PS3 players.

TERA seems to have failed a bit because the game is just a never-stoping grind behind the great combat gameplay and graphics. We just hope that the "westernization" works! But if it's going to have monthly subs too, then that's another major fail in these days.

Blade&Soul was "pushed back" to 2012 but we still don't know what it can bring us. Another "grinder" hidden with good combat (that in my opinion has some serious flaws in melee) and fast movement? Or will they "fix" those for western gamers?

LOL deserves to be condecorated. It is a great game. The only bad thing is half the community are "scumbag players" (excuse me the term, but is true!). But the other half are actually good people to play with. Altough I have to agree that it isn't an MMO in some terms because you are only playing with another 9 players at a time, but it is a hybrid Co-op game.

We just have to pray that GW2 has all the things it needs to be nº1 and give us a great 2012 year in the mmorpg genre (untill the world ends xD). The only thing that it's unpredictable is the community in a game, but I gess with all the player-friendly features and philosophy and with all the community from GW1, the GW2 community has a big chance of beeing good.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Moirae

Seems about right. The only thing thats turning me off of TSW is that its another so called f2p game.

???? didn't get it ????

I'm 100% sure TSW is P2P... am I being trolled? or I don't understand sarcasm?

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Originally posted by Hexipox

Rift, game of the year? lol you gotta be kidding me :)

only reason it got game of the year was because nothing else came out with it. getting game of the year when your the only game that came out in that year.... congrats i geuss? even an ugly chick will win a beauty pageant if theres no one else to enter it lol.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

GOY is a game that is barely played/discussed anymore? Odd. How can that be? Everyone says WoW clones are the way to go.

Originally posted by Gravarg

Agree with everything on the list, except most innovative should be Rift...I mean they come out with new content every month...that's innovation :)

LOL WHAT! new contentent every mouth or so is INNOVATION? i call that panic not innovation. they had so little content to begin with they had no choice but the get something new out every month. and with every "patch" came the neft/buff bats that made you have to relearn how to play your class over and over and over and over and over................................ AND OVER! sorry rift failed on so many levels theres to many to count.

Originally posted by Zippy

Originally posted by Galahad_KoA

Trion did what most MMO's have not, and thats make a successful game with a solid plan after release. They put out more new content  at a pace thats faster than any MMO in history and have successfully thrived in a environment dominated by World of Warcraft.

You dont have to like Rift, and I would agree it has its issues, but some of the negative responses to its win are pretty pathetic. There is a reason why theres a lot of investment money going into Trion these days, and thats because they beat the odds and have realistically put out a better product than the 10 million pound gorilla WoW whose only advantage now is being out longer, which means more content. At the rate Trion is going they will have more content than WoW, and it wont take 7 years to get there.

Rift alreaty has more non-obsolete content now than WoW.  Because of level raising most of WoW's content is trivial.  Rift has a lot mroe endgame content with 6 raid dungeons,, ember isles, two tiers of raid bosses, 11 lvl 50 dungeons set on three tiers, collections, achievements,  and so much more.  the only area Rift does poorly in is PvP.

you talking about the 11 instances that they reused for 1-50 lvling and then again for gear gating lvling? pathetic. rift has 2 starting areas with only 3 races and 4 classes to chose from. ZERO replayablity. there are no point to most of the achievments outside of some titles and a non combat pet. not for nothing but i belive WoW launched with more content then rift has out at this point. so dont go patting trion on the back just yet. subs are still dropping and theres no stop in site. its now 9:41 on the east cost. US severs show 10 low pop servers 1 high pop and the rest mid. EU severs.... all low pop. they better pull a mega rabbit out of there ass to save that game.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by rpgalon

Originally posted by Moirae

Seems about right. The only thing thats turning me off of TSW is that its another so called f2p game.

???? didn't get it ????

I'm 100% sure TSW is P2P... am I being trolled? or I don't understand sarcasm?

It's a microtransaction game with subscription. Meaning, its what EQ2 and LOTRO were for a long time, and then they went f2p. I don't trust it.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

Would love to say Rift but from the English EU side it has been a bad year of little population and little action. Rift did seem a breath of fresh air, but these near monthly events are truly boring as they follow a sloppy format. ie. Two weeks of 2x piddly quests, then 1 week an even lesser quest followed by another 1 week of even less, hmmm.

The rewards are somewhat reasonable but not enough to log alts and complete.

What's worrying for Rift is seeing a best on shard by faction guild fail to run daily events, fail to even get people on voice comms and watch their numbers drop rapidly in the past week.

I recently re-rolled due to boredom and it isn't unusual to wait 6 or more hours for a dungeon at any level even at 50. That is disturbingly bad.

Edited to add:

Who truly wants another addition of Christmas, Easter and whatever added to an MMO? MMO's are meant to escapist fun and we're not all kids.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i would have liked to see a "comeback of the year" category... maybe to eq for its better-than-before progression servers or L2 for it's very good f2p transition (yay heavy load US servers!)

I very much agree with the awards that were handed out with the exception of the league of soul rending community winning best hybrid.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by precious328

Rift is the obvious choice.

As for SWTOR, the Star Wars title is the MAIN reason for its beginning success. If you take away "Star Wars", the game would be just another flop.

Flop? LOL - game hasn't even offically launched yet and it's a flop? I've been playing non-stop since the 15th and I can tell you - this game is not only fantastic and fun - it's going to be VERY financially successful.

Not only will I predict that SWTOR will be successful - it will surpass Wow's success no problem.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by echolynfan

As for SWTOR, the Star Wars title is the MAIN reason for its beginning success. If you take away "Star Wars", the game would be just another flop.

Flop? LOL - game hasn't even offically launched yet and it's a flop? I've been playing non-stop since the 15th and I can tell you - this game is not only fantastic and fun - it's going to be VERY financially successful.

Not only will I predict that SWTOR will be successful - it will surpass Wow's success no problem.

He didn't say it's a flop. He said, take away the "star wars" and it would be. And I agree. If it didn't have the SW title, there wouldn't be such a huge hype around this game, I'm quite sure about that. For me, SW:TOR is just a big yawn, and is neither worth the box price nor the sub, even though I am a SW fan, I'm no fan of SW:TOR.

As for the list:

Mix together WoW and WAR, and toss in a little EQ2, then you got Rift. Zero innovation, and dull as hell. And this gets the GotY title? Lol...

Well, I guess it's like everywhere else: money rules the world. And Trion has spent quite a lot of money advertising on this site. Am I implying the award was bought? Yup, I am.

• TomShredsTomShreds Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by echolynfan

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the laugh.

2010 sucked.

2011 sucked.

I have hopes in GW2 and maybe TSW. 

SWTOR, RIFT, WOW, EQ, EQ2, AOC, ETC, ETC ARE ALL THE SAME.

The genre is bleeding and I don't believe in it anymore.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Rift is the most soulless mmo I have ever played.   Freakishly small world, mobs packed on top of each other.  Ugh.  I was really looking forward to this game because of the "dynamic" Rifts and they were fun for the first night of a weekend beta.  Then they were the same thing over and over.  So I ended up trying to avoid the title of the game.  That's never a good sign.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Eve should have still gotten GotY. The award isn't for who had the best launch, or who had the best PR (which was where Eve's fails were this year). It's for best GAME. And out of all the MMORPGs I've played (and that is a rather embarassingly large number), Eve is the only one that both gets it 'right' in regards to the genre and is constantly pushing their own limits.

Sure, they had some colossal misfires this year, but it's still a far better game than what is essentially WoW with a graphical update.

<3

• LyrinaLyrina Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by Netspook

[...]

Well, I guess it's like everywhere else: money rules the world. And Trion has spent quite a lot of money advertising on this site. Am I implying the award was bought? Yup, I am.

Thanks for thouse Words... sooooo true! ;-)

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Jimmy562

If SWTOR is an average game then RIFT is no different.

The thing is. Rift fdoes not try to hide what it is. It tries to improve upon it. It has one of the most understanding and greatest dev teams possible and rfolls out content and fixes stuff faster than I can blink. Its good solid themepark and it knows what it is.

EAware's World of Torcraft is... world of torcraft. All is said with that.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

good list

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Was going to disagree, but saw that the list was solid so there was nothing left to say.

• ArunArun Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by Jack_Target

I've never played Rift, but in every demo I've seen it looks 95% identical to WoW.

And this years Oscar for best portrayl of an MMO Critic goes to... <drum roll>....

Originally posted by shukes33
    Grind is not one of the downfalls of DF it is just a feature.

• Galahad_KoAGalahad_KoA Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Netspook

And Trion has spent quite a lot of money advertising on this site. Am I implying the award was bought? Yup, I am.

Thats a truly amusing statement. Get a clue before you post.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Save for DC and LoL (which is not a MMO so it shouldn't be in the conversation) I agree with the list.

Rift was by far the best release 2011, well deserved.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    What people find in bland boring clone called Rift is beyond me. Swtor at least has nice story and Tera has great graphics and combat
  • adamkoolkid2adamkoolkid2 Member Posts: 1

Why is it every time a game is released some troll always has to say its a WoW copy? Point forr you WoW wasnt the first MMO to be released and not every game is a copy of it. Besides WoW kinda sucks ass anyways...its mediocre and just....terrible, so saying every game is a WoW copy is basically saying every game sucks ass.

Nuff Said.

• NordenNorden Member UncommonPosts: 46

This branch is no longer bleeding, we reached rigor mortis...

Norden