Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The 2011 MMORPG.com Awards

Comments

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

game of thrones...that is all

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• TwistedFateTwistedFate Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Solid list of winners.

Yep. While I disagreed with DCUO as being "Most Innovative", overall the MMORPG.com staff came up with a fine list of winners here.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Since the list is game of the year and not MMO SKyrim should have won. Its soo much better then everything on this list. Rift doesn't suck but on the other hands its not that much fun either.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Another slow year overall for mmorpg's as the trend of close to half mmorpg's failing miserably continues.  Hear lot's of bad about RIFT (but to be fair most people on mmorpg only come here to complain never to praise) but know it has alot of players and for such a slow year for mmorpg's it's kind of a no brainer.

I honestly expect TOR to far exceed GW2 in subs but have to admit the still rabid nature of it's fans deserve the nod just as much as TOR.

I really do think that DCUO as an mmorpg is well deserving of the award as most innovative, when I played this game in beta I couldn't get enough but knew from then it would be a mistake to go with the buy and subscribe model for this game it doesn't offer the same gameplay elements that people accustomed to paying monthly for games expect and the truth is that desire isn't filled by anything else the game offers.  I wouldn't have minded buying the title eventually but there was no way I would ever pay a sub for it.  Again the fact that such a screwed up game as FFXIV get's a nomination shows how lackluster a year for mmorpg's it was.

I never thought I would find myself saying that I'm looking forward to seeing anything by Funcom but TSW is certainly an intriguing entry behind GW2 and TOR.  With EA showing an interest it only raised my interest level more,  unlike most I don't see EA as the devil and they generally get more of  my gaming dollars yearly than anyone else.  It's also good to see someone tackling the horror genre in an mmorpg I've been saying for well over three years that I'm growing tired of the fantasy genre and don't want to see the tables turn strictly to sci fi.

Here lot's about LoL and WoT as well and most of it is good though I haven't tried either.

Ultimately I don't think there is much controversy or any surprises with this years awards but am surely looking forward to next year as possibly rivaling any calendar year for best in mmorpg releases.

• DefBDefB Member Posts: 6

Rift is Game of the Year?

What a sad year.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

What.

"Hybrid-MMO" League of Legends? It has NOTHING to do with mmorpgs. Nothing. Seriously, I understand you have taken more games on your site radar like Diablo 3 but they are NOT mmorpgs.

Nominee: World of Tanks!? It's even LESS a mmorpg than LoL. There is not even some distant feature or resemblence in WoT to make even a small tiny bit of it a mmorpg, you might aswell nominee Call of Duty and Battlefield 3 since they are as much, if not even more mmorpgs than WoT, they have more people online simultaneously, they have leveling and unlocking of stuff and they have scenario based session play just like WoT that has existed for over 10 years but never called a mmorpg before.

But please dont, your site is becoming enough un-reliable considering finding mmorpg news and articles already, no need to drop in more totally non mmorpg games in the mix, especially to be considered to win some mmorpg related but obviously half arsed awards.

Meh, really, what's going on in the site? :(

• MehugeMehuge Member UncommonPosts: 24

Well deserved win by Rift they did an amazing job.  Like the game or not, it is a very well produced game. An MMO done properly.

• Galahad_KoAGalahad_KoA Member Posts: 14

Trion did what most MMO's have not, and thats make a successful game with a solid plan after release. They put out more new content  at a pace thats faster than any MMO in history and have successfully thrived in a environment dominated by World of Warcraft.

You dont have to like Rift, and I would agree it has its issues, but some of the negative responses to its win are pretty pathetic. There is a reason why theres a lot of investment money going into Trion these days, and thats because they beat the odds and have realistically put out a better product than the 10 million pound gorilla WoW whose only advantage now is being out longer, which means more content. At the rate Trion is going they will have more content than WoW, and it wont take 7 years to get there.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by precious328

Rift is the obvious choice.

As for SWTOR, the Star Wars title is the MAIN reason for its beginning success. If you take away "Star Wars", the game would be just another flop.

What does this really mean? If you took away Star Wars, they would just use Mass Effect or another one of their successful series...

• PanzakatPanzakat Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by precious328

Rift is the obvious choice.

As for SWTOR, the Star Wars title is the MAIN reason for its beginning success. If you take away "Star Wars", the game would be just another flop.

Take away the starwars and you have mass effect online with a few retextures and new story databases....

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Seems about right. The only thing thats turning me off of TSW is that its another so called f2p game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Grats Trion.

Question now becomes how to keep a playerbase happy enough to stay subscribed.

Who knows. What I know is that my sub ran out this morning and I have no real desire to resub, having suffered through Rift's terrible PvP and grinded my way to RoS Raid content on 3 classes and HK on my main. I feel like I've done all that Rift has to offer and with my main's server going from High pop to Low pop in a matter of 2 months, means there's even less reason for me to return.

While Rift deserves its award, it's a shame that the year they win it appears they've never found a way to staunch the bleeding sub issue no matter how much they improve it.

Right now since most standard theme park MMO's are so similar there's really no reason for a person to not just try the next flavor of the month and then move on once the core content is consumed, especially if one is not a raider.

The era of MMORPG's holding people's attention for a year or more is probably long over.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Wel obvious winner i gues. Was a terible year for mmo's 2011. And where ending with a clone, how low can it sink:(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Galahad_KoA

Trion did what most MMO's have not, and thats make a successful game with a solid plan after release. They put out more new content  at a pace thats faster than any MMO in history and have successfully thrived in a environment dominated by World of Warcraft.

You dont have to like Rift, and I would agree it has its issues, but some of the negative responses to its win are pretty pathetic. There is a reason why theres a lot of investment money going into Trion these days, and thats because they beat the odds and have realistically put out a better product than the 10 million pound gorilla WoW whose only advantage now is being out longer, which means more content. At the rate Trion is going they will have more content than WoW, and it wont take 7 years to get there.

Rift alreaty has more non-obsolete content now than WoW.  Because of level raising most of WoW's content is trivial.  Rift has a lot mroe endgame content with 6 raid dungeons,, ember isles, two tiers of raid bosses, 11 lvl 50 dungeons set on three tiers, collections, achievements,  and so much more.  the only area Rift does poorly in is PvP. 

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

It took me a moment to assemble the information and figure out what you were doing with runner up. All the Runner up Games weren't true 2011 games, rather games that had impact in 2011 anyway.

EVE, Tera and FF14 by example. EVE isn't a 2011 game, we all kinda know that. FF14 came out in Sept 2010 and while Tera is out in IP locked countries it is still not out to the world so I'd say there was a need to mention them but they couldn't really take the thrones of thier respective categories.

Gratz to all the Games mentioned for winning. I see why they won.I didn't even Play Rift and I can see why it got to the top of the heap. I didn't play any of the other ones either though. That kind of mixes well with why I paid more attention to the Nominee mentions. I usually don't play games in thier first year. Mention and the exception will be Tera. I will be there on day one with my eyes glued to the monitor. It all ties in and that's what makes the read fun in its own way.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Zippy

Rift alreaty has more non-obsolete content now than WoW.  Because of level raising most of WoW's content is trivial.  Rift has a lot mroe endgame content with 6 raid dungeons,, ember isles, two tiers of raid bosses, 11 lvl 50 dungeons set on three tiers, collections, achievements,  and so much more.  the only area Rift does poorly in is PvP. 

lol and no one gives a damn about pvp anyways because we all know GW2 is going to take the pvp playerbase of every game in existence. It is coming and people are delusional to think it will not happen.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I am sorry for all of you saying RIFT deserved this reward... I really don't see how you can honestly think that unless it's one of the first mmo's you've played.

I tried a free subscription with this game and I literally could not force myself to complete it because it was so terrible.

Innovation? The rifts are more annoying to me than fun. How is it fun when there a ton of raids a day and the whole freaking world is covered with rifts ALL day long when you are trying to do quests and travel eithout being swarmed by  mobs constantly (oh did I also mention that ALL mobs in RIFT aggro. Yup, that's right. Even if you're ten levels above them prepare to be aggroed. Never seen an mmo where ALL mobs were hostile. Makes it extremely annoying for any players who enjoy the exploration aspect of mmos.).

You can't even call it an event when it happens on such a frequent scale. It's more like a pain in the ass is what it is.

This game is a huge grind fest and the storyline just plain sucks to be truthful. When I played RIFT I felt like I had somehow played it before because it literally is no different than anyother mmo besides the rifts which are just plain annoying.

I also love how people say the graphics are great... They aren't. I had it set all the way to high and the graphics still looked terrible. Great job though Trion. You made them look awesome in all your trailers (not talking about the CGI ones either...).

If you loved playing RIFT go play any other f2p asian game out there and you'll be in heaven! And also you wouldn't have to pay a subscription!

The ONLY reason RIFT won was because it was literally the ONLY game to choose from...

Smile

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

Rift is GOTY? What u drunk? Something special, i sppose, Rift is totally crap. Andm btw, it's a WAR clone. Not innovative, not fun, with a crap developing that, during beta, do nothing that tester was asking. And now the game is $4,99 on Steam for today. A great success for a great game (sarcasm).

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Well, not surprised, 2011 was a pretty lame year for MMO's, but it was a great year for singleplayer games in my opinion, so I think ultimately a good year for gamers.

I'm thinking/hoping 2012 will be a great year for MMO's for me:

1. GW2 and Tera for a different type of themepark

2. Archage and The Secret World for sandparks

3. Mist of Pandaria for my traditional wants

4. Just need a true Sandbox to make it complete

Those are the only AAA games I'm positive will come out next year, so maybe a bunch of cool surprises may be in store.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

im glad you put swtor and gw2 in the same place.

just so many reasons why it should have been like this.

• TorpianTorpian Member UncommonPosts: 5

DCUO should have won everything there. It is the best MMO game on the market today. Great combat, great theme and more fun than every other MMO on the market combined.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

So, a one legged man entered a Sack race vs five amputees and wins. I guess you can still call it a contest, but not that exciting...

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by popinjay

So, a one legged man entered a Sack race vs five amputees and wins. I guess you can still call it a contest, but not that exciting...

Hey next time Bioware says they expect to launch in Spring 2011' maybe you should hold them too it.  Maybe next year right? Obviously TOR will still be big end of 2012 or not.

• LordCeonLordCeon Member UncommonPosts: 47

GW2 with C9 combat = epic game right there and wud shut up every fanboy for SWTOR where u just click and watch as u press skill button to use skill and gets snipe and tries to run away to ur base and still get hit and die

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

RIFT?

2011 was a shit year for MMOs then.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.