Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most poorly executed launch in mmo history.

Comments

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Got in 3rd day after early acces. Was frustrated to wait couple days for sure, but still very smooth. I have a feeling that MMO history has seen so much worse. Have you slept well lately :p

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

This hasn't even been close to the worst launch in mmo history.  

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by mikahr

Originally posted by dubyahite

They've been pretty straightforward about it since the beginning. If you pre-order you get into the game early on a first come first serve basis. The launch would be staggered to spread the stress on the servers out.  They've been saying this since July.

What part of that didn't you understand?

They also said 5 days and changed it to 7? So what?

Servers are stressed anyway, just not on 1st days but on 3rd. No actual gain there.

Do you have a point?

Of course the largest mmo launch ever has some stress on the servers.

Guess what? Those servers are stable, lag free, and running spectacularly.

But since you wanted to selectively quote my response, why don't you go read what I was responding to. The person I replied to said this:

"They should not be perfect, but they should not be decieving their playerbase with lies and excuses about 'early access'.  They should just come out and say 'we can't let you play because the servers arent ready'.  The truth will set you free; people understand."

My post was to clarify the point that they have been truthful and honest. Not liars or making excuses like the person I quoted said. It had nothing to do with how well the game was performing.

And yes, they have been 100% up front about the early access. Adding two extra days can hardly qualify as something to complain about. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• jonnyfragjonnyfrag Member Posts: 110

This is by far not the worst launch in history (I have been around a while and seen some spectacular fails) but it certainly is not all candy and roses like so many rabid fanboys say it is either. It's about average frankly. Hideously long ques out of nowhere (it was fine til Friday)  random disco's with no grace period (meaning you got right back to the back of the que) and lots of thread killing and silence from the devs....  all very standard really... much like the game itself honestly.

Played: Asheron's Call(still the best fantasy MMO!), EQ1, EQ2, Vanguard, DAoC, Horizons, City of Heroes/Villians, WoW (crap), LOTORO, D&D Online, Eve, Anarchy Online, and still playing SWG daily.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Chivalry1978

4. Has anny mmo ever had a perfect launch.

Best launches is actually a harder question.  But the two smoothest launches (in my memory) were GW1 and CoH.

Neither was perfect, no, and they were both smaller titles.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Will any mmo ever prepare to take all players? Why wait few weeks after release to add servers and optimize them? Why not do that before going live?

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by wormywyrm

Originally posted by Omni1rbb

I think its funny that because they call it 'early access' these developers think they can get away with launching their game with 75% of the playerbase not being able to even log in.

Really?  That is OK now?  This sort of thing is not OK, I don't care what the devs call it.  This is a bad launch.  "Early Access" is just code for "we didnt prepare enough and the game is not ready to launch so you cant log in".

Yes these horrible devs, these androids who are supposed be perfect!  How dare they act like human beings and make mistakes!  Who do they think they are?!?!?

They should not be perfect, but they should not be decieving their playerbase with lies and excuses about 'early access'.  They should just come out and say 'we can't let you play because the servers arent ready'.  The truth will set you free; people understand.

They've been pretty straightforward about it since the beginning. If you pre-order you get into the game early on a first come first serve basis. The launch would be staggered to spread the stress on the servers out.  They've been saying this since July.

In previous MMO releases, devs took a ton of shit for some players not being able to log in on the first day.  Slap a sticker on it that says 'early access', and these guys think it is Ok.  I clearly understand all of that which you have said, but that does not make it OK.  This is a poorer launch than every 'failed' launch in the past 10 years because 3 days into launch a huge part of the playerbase could not access the game still.  And somehow that is ok, because of the label 'early access'.  It is a cop out.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Omni1rbb

I think its funny that because they call it 'early access' these developers think they can get away with launching their game with 75% of the playerbase not being able to even log in.

Really?  That is OK now?  This sort of thing is not OK, I don't care what the devs call it.  This is a bad launch.  "Early Access" is just code for "we didnt prepare enough and the game is not ready to launch so you cant log in".

Yes these horrible devs, these androids who are supposed be perfect!  How dare they act like human beings and make mistakes!  Who do they think they are?!?!?

They should not be perfect, but they should not be decieving their playerbase with lies and excuses about 'early access'.  They should just come out and say 'we can't let you play because the servers arent ready'.  The truth will set you free; people understand.

In previous MMO releases, devs took a ton of shit for some players not being able to log in on the first day.  Slap a sticker on it that says 'early access', and these guys think it is Ok.  I clearly understand all of that which you have said, but that does not make it OK.  This is a poorer launch than every 'failed' launch in the past 10 years because 3 days into launch a huge part of the playerbase could not access the game still.  And somehow that is ok, because of the label 'early access'.  It is a cop out.

Except you know, the release date is stated as Dec 20.   And no its early access because some people get in EARLY.  Do you understand EARLY?  Meaning before launch. Meaning at launch everyone can log in.

This is nothing close to worst launch.  There have been plenty where many people couldnt even play after the LAUNCH date passed.

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

How about mentionning the 6 hours queue on the populated EU server ? That's something people are complaining about and go into the "straight failed" launch category.

Never in my life have i seen 6 hours queue on a server, especially for a game that ain't even released !!!

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Anarchy Online, Vanguard, and WWII Online called. They said to tell you that if you think this is the worst launch in history, you'd be surprised.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

NOTHING I've seen in years and years comes even close to the Anarchy Online launch.  It was and still is, an example of the WORST MMO launch in history.  ToR has some minor issues, but nothing in even the same star system with AO.  I'm still amazed to this day, the Funcom was actually able to save the game, after such a horrid launch.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by Wraithone

NOTHING I've seen in years and years comes even close to the Anarchy Online launch.  It was and still is, an example of the WORST MMO launch in history.  ToR has some minor issues, but nothing in even the same star system with AO.  I'm still amazed to this day, the Funcom was actually able to save the game, after such a horrid launch.

Oh god yes. I still remember the memory leaks in Tir that were so bad that I could literally get up from my computer, make a sandwich, watch a TV show while I ate, only to come back to find my character still standing there unable to move. The game was damn near unplayable at launch. Add in the billing issues that Funcom had, or all the other glitches and technical problems and it's no wonder the devs begged the gaming media not to review AO until they fixed all the issues they were having because they knew the reviews would be fatal to the game.

SWTOR having server queues is a GOOD problem to have. That means that your servers are popular and that a lot of people want to play the game. There are plenty of companies on this site that would kill to have Bioware's problems right now, because they're a sign that the formal launch is going to go well.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I've been at almost every MMO launch since DAOC.  There's a big difference between dev inflicted pain and frustration and the pain and frustration that previous mmo's experienced due to circumstances beyond their control. 

Unlike whiners and crybabies, I didn't flip out when the servers didn't come up right away for CoH, when my hand kept getting stuck up a bears Ahole in WoW, or when I was stuck in a queue for rift.  At least I was given a fair shot, and they were trying to accomodate as many players as possible, and in all of those cases above, they communicated ten times as much in regards to the problems and how they were trying to address them.

So far with TOR, the EGA, and queues, they've basically said STFU deal with it.   I chose the words in the title of the topic carefully.  The execution is the problem here.  If they had at least tried to let people in who wanted in on day one of EGA I wouldn't even be here, or I'd at least be in a queue ready to play a char with a name I liked on a server type I prefer. 

I hate the people complaining about queues who won't just move to another server, because THOSE SAME PEOPLE derided me and others who said the staggered EGA was bullcrap.  And you can tell in hindsight is was bullcrap.  The whole way they did this was moronic.  They could have all 120+ servers up right now, and come the 20th, the influx of box buyers would even out the server pops without all this pain and frustration.

Poor execution.  It's one thing to bump into a pole on accident, but if someone did that on purpose in front of you, what would you call them, cause that's Bioware right now.

Originally posted by adam_nox

The execution is the problem here.  If they had at least tried to let people in who wanted in on day one of EGA I wouldn't even be here, or I'd at least be in a queue ready to play a char with a name I liked on a server type I prefer. 

If they had let everyone in on day one of the Early Access, no one would be playing because we'd all be stuck in queues.

The staggered access is a good thing. It's allowed them to bring up only the servers they need rather than having all of them up and running right now. And it allowed Bioware to bring in players at a steady pace so that apart from a few servers having long wait times, most people can get in and play nearly at will. 

Complain all you want about the server queues, but this has been one of the smoothest rollouts of a game I've seen. No way, no how is this anywhere NEAR the worst launch I've ever seen. If you think it is, you haven't played enough of these games. 

• CailiegCailieg Member Posts: 85

If you call what most of us are experiencing, which is great gameplay, nice community, smooth server connections, and queues that move fast; the worst launch in history, I have one game name for you to prove the invalidity of your overdramatization.

"Vanguard: Saga of Heroes"

That was the worst launch in my recent memory. Have their been worse, yes or no, depends on the person, but Vanguard stuck out in my mind as a whole bowl full of potential gone to a pile of steaming shite.

I am loving TOR, paid a 6 month subscription, bought two CEs. One for both me and my spouse. To each their own.

Alexis

*smiles*

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by Cailieg

If you call what most of us are experiencing, which is great gameplay, nice community, smooth server connections, and queues that move fast; the worst launch in history, I have one game name for you to prove the invalidity of your overdramatization.

"Vanguard: Saga of Heroes"

That was the worst launch in my recent memory. Have their been worse, yes or no, depends on the person, but Vanguard stuck out in my mind as a whole bowl full of potential gone to a pile of steaming shite.

I am loving TOR, paid a 6 month subscription, bought two CEs. One for both me and my spouse. To each their own.

Alexis

*smiles*

+1 to all of that.  I thought BW did a great job with the launch, and all my friends and I are enjoying the hell out of this game.  

• IronArrowIronArrow Member Posts: 12

The OP was obviously not at the launch of WoW, SWG, CoH or most other MMOs. This is the problem with the MMO market, most people have only played WoW in its post-production phase.

• YoungLife89YoungLife89 Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by kalinis

ive been loggin in no problem i play on east us servers. i had one que and it was 10 minutes yesterday. Tahts it . of course i play like 1 pm-5 pm and 10 pm or later my time which is est. 

That said this isnt bad at all. They arent having server crashes and most ques arent longer then 10 minute waits no matter what it tells u. 

False. I'm here while waiting in a queue. The estimated time was 40 minutes, and I am currently at 60 minutes with probably 10-15 to go. People just need to be more patient and find things to do while they wait. I did like the idea though of mini games within a queue, like Pazaak or some kind of space simulator or something. It might cut down on queue time complaints.

Playing:
    Watching: ArcheAge, Everquest Next, Wildstar
    Played: Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Tabula Rasa, Everquest 2, Planetside, Age of Conan, EVE, Vanguard, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, The Matrix Online, Aion, Dark Age of Camelot, Runescape, Lineage 2, City of Heroes/Villains, Rift, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2, Planetside 2

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220

I am just amazed that WOW right now is running 492 US and EU servers, and Bio thought that a whopping 120 or whatever it is will be enough for a launch this big.  I personally know way more people planning on playing at launch than I do who are playing early access.  I peak time Queues will be over 3 to 5 hours at least.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by stratasaurus

I am just amazed that WOW right now is running 492 US and EU servers, and Bio thought that a whopping 120 or whatever it is will be enough for a launch this big.  I personally know way more people planning on playing at launch than I do who are playing early access.  I peak time Queues will be over 3 to 5 hours at least.

Lots of those WoW servers are getting very quiet these days. My old server is a ghost town and has been for the past year and a half, minus the spike around Cata.

And WoW launched a LOT of new servers as they grew. They did not launch with *nearly* that many. Launching with too many servers can be unhealthy for a game too, quite a close balance.

• StridarStridar Member UncommonPosts: 134

I'm getting old (been playing MMO's since the 90's) but I am almost positive that I got a extra free month of WoW because it was un playable for the first month.  WoW, the gold standard (whatever) of MMO's was one of the worse launches ever. I was there for Anarchy Online (was a dev) so i know how bad it was, but it's never been touted as being one of the best, although I thought it was.  Out of all of them that I've been through WoW was the worst for me, some people either have worse memories then I do or I just dreamt that it was that bad?  I was on a very popular PvP server though, but I had 4-5 hours queu's for the first 2 weeks and then when I would get in the server would crash within an hour or two, it was horrible.  

So the main complain here is you weren't the first one to get the name Barth Baul? Or Duke Slywalker?  

• vardarvardar Member Posts: 282

Opening day on WoW, waited upto 3 1/2 hours in que, to play for 1 hour, and have the server crash, to waiting in que again for another 2 hours.....think about it...

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

my only question is how many MMOs did the op actually play at launch if he thinks this is the worst launch in MMO history. TBH this is one of the more polished games and its official launch isn't for another day.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

1.  Staggered early access jading a good 75% of the preorder playerbase.

2.  Huge queues.  Which is pointless, they will have to open new servers the 20th, may as well open enough now to avoid massive overpopulation.

3. Gave a list of 40 servers tues or wed, and said they'd go live the next day.  They didn't.  To date, only about 6 have. 

4.  Yes grace period.  No grace period... okay SOME grace period!

5  zero communication from devs on their official forums, limited announcements on facebook.  Most responses come from twitter and if you aren't on it, then you won't see them.

I'm sorry to waste your time with this post, but I've just had enough.  I wanted a fair shot at my favorite MMO charnames, that got taken away due to staggered access, now I'm waiting for the servers they said they would be opening to try again.  I've gotten only 5 or so hours of sleep the last 3 nights, as I just watch the forums and server status page for updates.  Now it looks like it's going to extend into tomorrow, when my family is coming 3 hours to my house to celebrate my birthday.

FML.

Not trying to be mean...but if its really that hard to get your character names, you might want to try more unique names. Odds are even if you get lets say "Legolas" someone else is just going to do "Legolaas" and so on and so forth and make yours less cool anyways.

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Originally posted by itchmon

*snip* A bunch of stuff...

I'm sorry to waste your time with this post, but I've just had enough.  I wanted a fair shot at my favorite MMO charnames, that got taken away due to staggered access, now I'm waiting for the servers they said they would be opening to try again.  I've gotten only 5 or so hours of sleep the last 3 nights, as I just watch the forums and server status page for updates.  Now it looks like it's going to extend into tomorrow, when my family is coming 3 hours to my house to celebrate my birthday.

FML.

waiting all night refreshing forums waiting for updates = larger issues to work through than a simple game launch.

I'm on facebook way too much. I wanted to like this post and all the similar replies.

Seriously, guy. Waiting  60+ hours, then complaining about family coming over. Jeez. I'm lucky if I can even get an hour together to play my favorite games and you have 60 waste! I hate to jump on the band wagon, but you need to get it together. 

I can't comment on anything else since  I'm not touching this game until next year sometime (lack of time, basically) and the only other launch I've sat through was Horizons.

This discussion has been closed.