Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most poorly executed launch in mmo history.

Comments

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by adam_nox

1.  Staggered early access jading a good 75% of the preorder playerbase.

2.  Huge queues.  Which is pointless, they will have to open new servers the 20th, may as well open enough now to avoid massive overpopulation.

3. Gave a list of 40 servers tues or wed, and said they'd go live the next day.  They didn't.  To date, only about 6 have. 

4.  Yes grace period.  No grace period... okay SOME grace period!

5  zero communication from devs on their official forums, limited announcements on facebook.  Most responses come from twitter and if you aren't on it, then you won't see them.

I'm sorry to waste your time with this post, but I've just had enough.  I wanted a fair shot at my favorite MMO charnames, that got taken away due to staggered access, now I'm waiting for the servers they said they would be opening to try again.  I've gotten only 5 or so hours of sleep the last 3 nights, as I just watch the forums and server status page for updates.  Now it looks like it's going to extend into tomorrow, when my family is coming 3 hours to my house to celebrate my birthday.

FML.

[mod edit] It's a small minority of people who complain on forums compared to those just chillin' and playing when they can play.

Yes, there have been a few issues, but nothing that should be overexaggerated as the "worst launch in MMO history." Some games were unplayable for weeks until they sorted things out. Most people are in and having an awesome time with very few problems.

The queues are an issue they hopefully work out soon, but I'd rather a queue to the game being down entirely with no chance to play at all.

This isn't the worst launch ever; this is the worst launch you're experiencing RIGHT NOW. And from the title of this thread, I have a feeling you're quite new to MMO launches.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Its not the worst but its not the best either.

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

Most poorly executed launch in mmo history.

lol nah dude...not even close.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

lie, not even close to call MOST. but if you just wake up gaming then maybe yes for you.

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

Originally posted by OBK1

Actually, so far this is the BEST launch I've been part of. Worst??? Hahaha, I'll just assume you were not born when Anarchy online launched.

THAT!

To quote kurtz from apocalypse now, "The horror.....the horror..."

Originally posted by benasato

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

Originally posted by OBK1

Actually, so far this is the BEST launch I've been part of. Worst??? Hahaha, I'll just assume you were not born when Anarchy online launched.

THAT!

To quote kurtz from apocalypse now, "The horror.....the horror..."

Anarchy Online launch was chaos!  Funcom managed to turn it around though.  They did the same wiith AoC.  Hopefully secret World will have a smooth launch.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

2.  Huge queues.  Which is pointless, they will have to open new servers the 20th, may as well open enough now to avoid massive overpopulation.

3. Gave a list of 40 servers tues or wed, and said they'd go live the next day.  They didn't.  To date, only about 6 have. 

5  zero communication from devs on their official forums, limited announcements on facebook.  Most responses come from twitter and if you aren't on it, then you won't see them.

I'm sorry to waste your time with this post, but I've just had enough.  I wanted a fair shot at my favorite MMO charnames, that got taken away due to staggered access, now I'm waiting for the servers they said they would be opening to try again.  I've gotten only 5 or so hours of sleep the last 3 nights, as I just watch the forums and server status page for updates.  Now it looks like it's going to extend into tomorrow, when my family is coming 3 hours to my house to celebrate my birthday.

FML.

What a crock!!

Your telling me you haven't been able to login? BS.

I've been in the EA since the first wave of invites and the most I've ever had to wait has been 5 mins, yes I can see other servers have had longer but even with guild friends logging in later than me the most they have waiting has been 25 mins.

This has been one of the smoothest launches I've ever encountered, I'm just fed up with the amount of ppl talking out of their arse.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I think its funny that because they call it 'early access' these developers think they can get away with launching their game with 75% of the playerbase not being able to even log in.

Really?  That is OK now?  This sort of thing is not OK, I don't care what the devs call it.  This is a bad launch.  "Early Access" is just code for "we didnt prepare enough and the game is not ready to launch so you cant log in".

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Most poorly executed launch in MMO history... that doesn't sound exaggerated at all...nope.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

This game was boring overall for me. Quests were okay. Gameplay was suprisingly decent. But it just didn't hold my attention and the graphics are less than expected. As far as the launch I didn't think it was bad at all. I didn't see ANY issues to be honest. Wait time was like 5 mins at the most for me. And that only happened once. Hopefully it does well for at least the next 2 years. I really don't see it lasting that long. Or maybe I'm just saying that because I don't have any intention of playing past the BETAs unless they have a free trial when it gets a few months age on it.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Wrong. Best mmo launch ever.

Worst? Earthrise IMO.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by dubyahite

Worst? Earthrise IMO.

Hellgate: London still firmly holds the title, far as I'm concerned.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Icewhite

Worst? Earthrise IMO.

Hellgate: London still firmly holds the title, far as I'm concerned.

Can't beat the king still... Anarchy online.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I think its funny that because they call it 'early access' these developers think they can get away with launching their game with 75% of the playerbase not being able to even log in.

Really?  That is OK now?  This sort of thing is not OK, I don't care what the devs call it.  This is a bad launch.  "Early Access" is just code for "we didnt prepare enough and the game is not ready to launch so you cant log in".

Yes these horrible devs, these androids who are supposed be perfect!  How dare they act like human beings and make mistakes!  Who do they think they are?!?!?

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65

This was a very smooth launch for me. I got in to my server the first day of launch and played until I had to go to sleep. The next day I logged on and it was only 5 minutes to wait. friday night was 45 minutes but I do not care since I forgot to log in early.

ToR launch was for me smooth and very cool. No crashes, no insane waitingtime, quests that work, character creation that worked.

And yes....I do remember Anarchy Online the first weeks when we could not even enter Omni-1 or Hellgate London or perhaps RIFT with insane waitingtime, or perhaps WAR that game didnt get fixed until 6 months later.......

No I say that ToR was by far the best start of a megagame I have experienced the last 12 years.

Keep it up

• AzorithAzorith Member UncommonPosts: 188

OP: Is this the first MMO you've played? SWTOR is having a stable and amazingly fun launch - there are guaranteed to be queues on some servers. Ther are non-full servers still, and more to come.

BTW, when WoW launched it was down for 3 days, and they only had 6 us servers which had 1hr queues all day when the servers were live. At least in SWTOR there are only queues during primetime & weekends.

• VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230

I've never seen a game draw so many tears. Can't even read the official forums, sounds like a nursery.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by convict

I've never seen a game draw so many tears. Can't even read the official forums, sounds like a nursery.

WoW.  And every major since WoW.  This is a regularly repeating phenomena.

The whining seems to increase logarithmically with population.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

this thread is crazy its been 1 of the smoothist launches I ever been apart of.  Sure not everyone got day 1 access but the staggering has made the game much more playable.  Overall I think its been a great launch and I am loving the game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by convict

Nah, Darkfall was even worse and few people even tried it, they were just posting about it anyways. The forum was so full of it for 6 months that few good threads were made back then.

And the WAR Vs AoC flame war wasn't much better.

Still, it is pretty bad now as well. 

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Originally posted by Requiamer

Originally posted by Wrender

Originally posted by Requiamer

Originally posted by warbot7777

Some of my friends decided to roll Republic. They have a 45 minute queue on their server. It's kinda funny because they made alts on my server, and I see them logging on all the time to play. May as well re-roll servers if you have to wait 45 minutes to log in lol. 

Everything is fine so far on my server. 26 ms and no queues yet!

Honestly if they have that long queues with the whole stagering crap, then its really pathetic. 

But it's a hell of a hype machine!

It doesn't matter its a preorder, if they don't have the number of customers its because they are moronic or just don't give a fuck. If they have the number they know how much server they need. Not to add the fact that they have to put more server for the launch since they can't have that number, they simply cannot know how much will sell in shop, they have evaluations though; that are pretty good tbh. But for the preorder they do have very precise number, so if they screw up, it really is because they want. It really is time to stop being stupid fan boys and defend this kind of stuff, and i don't only talk about swtor or even themepark fan boys, but every single damn mmo. They can't even do a preorder correctly since a decade and half, are those guys stupid or what? no honestly. Do they have anyone working on those things? it really seam they don't and just working on guesses. For a 130 million $ project? seam utterly wrong to me. I mean they can't even have their preorders play all at the same time damn it, those guy literally gave them their money blinded.

*Goes away checking head*

You do say its time to stop beeing a stupid fanboy and i do agree with that but beeing an as stubig hater doesnt help either.

Help hmmm help with what actually you say they should have known how many ppls will log in and should have been able to provided enough servers...well you are right no question but what makes you think they didnt?

I did state in on another similiar (stupid) threat already not all servers are full Fryday 9pm est there were a lot of full servers but also lots of heave/very heavy and even some standard servers all of them without a queue!

So its not like they dont have enough servers its just that ppls seem to be drawn to the full ones (maybe they believe the game is better there or why else would it have more ppls in it that a standard server....)

Now what should they have done open more server even tho there were still enough servers with room?? Wouldnt make sense right?So what else could they have done lock the full servers and force the players who got in later (last 2 waves or so) to go to the lesser populated ones??? Naaa would only have lead to massive whining as well...

So you might see beeing a stupid hater isnt a good thing either the headstart so far was done very good and ppls claiming otherwise just didnt think it through!!

Now the real deal will be the 20th and after the Holidays we will have to see how well they can handle it than. So far all is perfect but when you know exactly how many ppls come and you can let them in in waves that has to be expected i only hope they will manage it good and if i really will have to wait in a queue well than thats just how it always is when a new MMo launches if you cant handle that well just dont log in before next year.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by Omni1rbb

Yes these horrible devs, these androids who are supposed be perfect!  How dare they act like human beings and make mistakes!  Who do they think they are?!?!?

They should not be perfect, but they should not be decieving their playerbase with lies and excuses about 'early access'.  They should just come out and say 'we can't let you play because the servers arent ready'.  The truth will set you free; people understand.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Omni1rbb

They should not be perfect, but they should not be decieving their playerbase with lies and excuses about 'early access'.  They should just come out and say 'we can't let you play because the servers arent ready'.  The truth will set you free; people understand.

They've been pretty straightforward about it since the beginning. If you pre-order you get into the game early on a first come first serve basis. The launch would be staggered to spread the stress on the servers out.  They've been saying this since July.

What part of that didn't you understand?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

They've been pretty straightforward about it since the beginning. If you pre-order you get into the game early on a first come first serve basis. The launch would be staggered to spread the stress on the servers out.  They've been saying this since July.

What part of that didn't you understand?

They also said 5 days and changed it to 7? So what?

Servers are stressed anyway, just not on 1st days but on 3rd. No actual gain there.

• MalevianMalevian Member Posts: 48

FML.

#Firstworldproblems

Get some sleep.  To place that much value on a games release, putting your health at risk, all in the name of desired names in a game that will be there later.  

You need to get out more.  Better do it now before your muscles develop atrophy and you die from heart failure drinking too many energy drinks.

This discussion has been closed.