Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most poorly executed launch in mmo history.

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

1.  Staggered early access jading a good 75% of the preorder playerbase.

2.  Huge queues.  Which is pointless, they will have to open new servers the 20th, may as well open enough now to avoid massive overpopulation.

3. Gave a list of 40 servers tues or wed, and said they'd go live the next day.  They didn't.  To date, only about 6 have. 

4.  Yes grace period.  No grace period... okay SOME grace period!

5  zero communication from devs on their official forums, limited announcements on facebook.  Most responses come from twitter and if you aren't on it, then you won't see them.

I'm sorry to waste your time with this post, but I've just had enough.  I wanted a fair shot at my favorite MMO charnames, that got taken away due to staggered access, now I'm waiting for the servers they said they would be opening to try again.  I've gotten only 5 or so hours of sleep the last 3 nights, as I just watch the forums and server status page for updates.  Now it looks like it's going to extend into tomorrow, when my family is coming 3 hours to my house to celebrate my birthday.

FML.

Comments

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

ive been loggin in no problem i play on east us servers. i had one que and it was 10 minutes yesterday. Tahts it . of course i play like 1 pm-5 pm and 10 pm or later my time which is est. 

That said this isnt bad at all. They arent having server crashes and most ques arent longer then 10 minute waits no matter what it tells u. 

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Other than missing out on names, I don't see any of these issues as being that big of a deal. The official launch date hasn't happened yet. Until then, the only valid complaint I see is the one about not being able to get the char names you wanted. It's hard to justify complaining about the other stuff, in my opinion, before the official launch date.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

wow u know so use alts or one of these ' . The name thing is kinda a stupid complaint it happens in all mmos. plus tor has soem naming conventions so some names they wont let u have.

Star wars names for instance lie skywalker or luke or han are just not usable. 

Truth is we knew it ws gonna be a staggered access all along if u really cared about those names ud of pre ordered day 1 and got in right when it started like i did. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

If you consider this the most poorly executed launch in MMO history, I would have to question how many launches you have participated in.  I've been kind of dissapointed, because the usual launch week festivities haven't been taking place.  Server crashes, severe lag spikes, sync issues, etc etc.  Normally thats all a part of launch, and they haven't had that (at least I haven't experienced it).

Yes, I definitely question your MMO street cred, when you say this is the worst ever.

I self identify as a monkey.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by adam_nox

2.  Huge queues.  Which is pointless, they will have to open new servers the 20th, may as well open enough now to avoid massive overpopulation.
    3. Gave a list of 40 servers tues or wed, and said they'd go live the next day.  They didn't.  To date, only about 6 have. 
    5  zero communication from devs on their official forums, limited announcements on facebook.  Most responses come from twitter and if you aren't on it, then you won't see them.

I'm sorry to waste your time with this post, but I've just had enough.  I wanted a fair shot at my favorite MMO charnames, that got taken away due to staggered access, now I'm waiting for the servers they said they would be opening to try again.  I've gotten only 5 or so hours of sleep the last 3 nights, as I just watch the forums and server status page for updates.  Now it looks like it's going to extend into tomorrow, when my family is coming 3 hours to my house to celebrate my birthday.
    FML.

FML, another silly acronym used by people who have nothing of real consequence to complain about.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I think it's a great launch. I'm glad I got in on the 15th like I planned originally, and the game has no lag or queues for me usually. Well at least the queues part isn't completely true, I logged in tonight to find one on my server but other than that it's been perfect.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

First of all servers are running smooth, staggered launch was announced over half a year ago (hello?!?!), queues are normal for any new MMO launch.

How about you go back to your cave ? Trolling isnt cool anymore.

• RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I can only assume thst you have been in NO other major MMO launch. Bioware is doing it better than any I have seen with no server lag, almost no cues, no hordes of players camping each quest spawn, and no game breaking bugs or flaws. I can only assume that the flaw is with you feeling frustrated at not getting in sooner because you waited until the last minute to preorder. Bioware deserves serious cudos for this launch in my book.
  • nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

FML.

You obviously haven't been around very long ... You should have seen some of the early MMO launches. Anarchy Online sticks out as the biggest failed launch I can remember. I actually think the way SWTOR launched was great. Probably the smoothest I've ever seen.

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

FML.

HYPERBOLE is defined by this post.

The game is stuffed to the rim with people, the large number of servers are full of eager players and they are playing happily.

Bioware will need more servers and a bigger net to catch all the cash, it is nothing but obvious to anyone not dilluting themselves that this is a monsterous hit.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

One of the smoothest launches (thus far, I know they haven't launched yet) I can think of.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Actually, so far this is the BEST launch I've been part of. Worst??? Hahaha, I'll just assume you were not born when Anarchy online launched.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

staggered launch was actually a brilliant idea and Im sure other companies will copy down the road  They were smart about it and started earlier than they promised so only a very small % didnt get 5 days (and i was part of that small % by an hour or so)

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Lol they jaded 75% of the playerbase with staggered launch?

Where'd you pull that number out of?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Hicks2006

<>

wait wait wait wait wait. so let me get this straight you spent 60 to 67 hours of your time glaring at forums for anwsers then say your family is coming over for 3 hours to celebrate your birthday then follow to say FML. well if you spend so much time wasting over how a game is launched and complain about your family coming over to see YOU your not intitled to say FML. you have no life. the meaning of a life is goign out when your not doign anything. or hanging out with a friend, hell even reading a book, watching a movie. No you sit your fat tax sucking ass down with your 10 or so cans of red bull yelling MOM MEAT LOAF FUCK!! for 67 hours just to watch and see if servers and other maintenance will be done. YOU FAIL A LIFE. your life is saying Fuck my owner.

I think Hicks hit this one on the head. Staring at a computer for almost 60 hours waiting to get into an mmo launch just seems like straight madness to me.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    sorry for the double post but this site needs an edit button on the iPhone version

This post contradicts itself. 75% of the player base is "jaded" but there are huge queues and not enough servers.

Makes a whole lot of sense.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• I don't see the problem with staggered access. I was just happy I could play early. Would you rather wait till the 20th and struggle with crazy queues and possible server lag? I think people will just complain about anything and everything. Some people just get their kicks out of it. I'll never understand.

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520

To be perfectly accurate the game hasn't launched yet. I'm not saying their aren't issues, but I expect they will be addressed by the 20th. If you're that upset over a video game, well good luck I guess.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by OBK1

Actually, so far this is the BEST launch I've been part of. Worst??? Hahaha, I'll just assume you were not born when Anarchy online launched.

THAT!

Originally posted by scarfull

{mod edit}

Nah, there are issues. I sat in queue for 3 hours to get on my assigned guild server tonight. I didn't cry and whine about it, just went and did some other stuff while waiting. It's a pain and disappointing but not the end of the world. I was there for the AoC launch, WoW launch with it's queues and loots bugs... It's really rare for an MMO to have a smooth launch and everyone should  know by now that early access is really a stress test for launch day. Happens every time.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I dont really see the issue, the game is not good enough to bother waiting in queues so just go do something else. I really wish I had not wasted my money on this now, it doesn't even feel like a Bioware game IMHO.

I guess the primary advantage of living in the excluded redzone is the queus are short or non existant if I want to login.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Launch is going fine...they learned from rift that was the best smoothest mmorpg launch in the last decade.

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by dubyahite
    Lol they jaded 75% of the playerbase with staggered launch? Where'd you pull that number out of?

86% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Launch is going fine...they learned from rift that was the best smoothest mmorpg launch in the last decade.

It's going fine if you ignore the queues. The game itself is running very stable, for me it is anyway. They knew how many pre-orders they had, so they should have been ready with the servers. This evening at 9pm EST almost every single server had a queue. Some up to an estimated hour and 45 minutes which in reality was approx 3 hours. 

There are other issues as well, some annoying bugs they still haven't fixed, some people are having launcher issues and active account issues, but it's not the catastrophe the OP is making it out be. It's a smooth launch in the sense that the game is playable, servers are stable, etc. 

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

In truth it was a little jacked up. I preordered the first day you could, and after playing the last beta weekend, I enjoyed it, but not nerly enough to justify paying the money I was going to for the CE edition, so I cancled my CE preorder and just decided to wait till Walmart got it.  But then I got an email saying I was able to log into the game for the early access, so out of curiotity I tried it and sure enough I was in and playing on day one.  Apparently Amazon is a little slow in telling Bioware that I canceled my preorder through them, and I know alot of people who cancled preorders that got into early access.

Not sure how they could fix this, but I am sure there are alot of 2nd/3rd day pre-order peeps that had to wait while some 1st day preorder peeps got invited to early access (even if they did not use it) and took a spot up.

This discussion has been closed.