Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Skyrim - Resistance is Futile

13»

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Moirae

Ok, it may be a good game, but what is a single player game opinion article doing on an MMO website? Frankly the article had barely a mention of MMO's.

Becouse its one most popular solo RPGs this year and mmo fans of this site are also fan of Elder Scrolls series.

Skyrim skyrocket through the roof so popular that even on MMORPG.COM its been covered several times now in articles and almost discussed game on mmorpg.com this year.

Skyrim is the number one KING now in solo RPG land.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

Skyrim is an open virtual world where you can find and play your personal role.

SWTOR is a storybook, and you are an actor playing the role of a hero designed by Bioware.

this is something fully different.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I was about to praise the OP for emerging as one of the very few really good writers on this site when I realized she was the same author I've praised before.  She remains not one of "the few" great writers, but the only great writer on this site.  And I say this from an unbiased perspective, because I definitely do not always agree with everything she says.  Keep the fun, fluid, and entertaining articles coming!

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I just read a post here about someone stating how bad Skyrim is, and that they played 300 hours. How the hell do you play a game you don't like for 300 hours? Blows my mind!

Sure the game has a lot of bugs, this is typical of Bethesda titles. Aside from that, it really is an awesome game. There is no way in hell anyone would play a game for 300 hours that they hated unless they were into self-flagellation. Somebody needs treatment, lol.

Archlinux ftw

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by FreeBooteR

I just read a post here about someone stating how bad Skyrim is, and that they played 300 hours. How the hell do you play a game you don't like for 300 hours? Blows my mind!

Sure the game has a lot of bugs, this is typical of Bethesda titles. Aside from that, it really is an awesome game. There is no way in hell anyone would play a game for 300 hours that they hated unless they were into self-flagellation. Somebody needs treatment, lol.

More than almost any other game I've played, there definitely seems to be a point where the novelty of the experience suddenly wears off.  After that point is reached, it becomes possible to reflect back upon your experience in the game and take note of all the pros and cons.  There are many of both, to be sure, but most people seem to easily conclude that the pros vastly outweigh the cons.  A few, such as the poster you describe, may not.  Regardless, even if you never touch the game again, it's hard to argue the initial 100-300 hour enjoyable gaming experience is not worth the money spent on the game.  

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

im gonna take a wild guess that skyrim is far better on the pc than it is on the xbox. im really bored of it already!!! way to many npc's with the same war wounds!! im surprised their isnt a shortage of arrows.

other than well killing undead and bandits there really isnt a great deal to do!!! you get the option to be either imperial or rebel whoopeee doo!!! and there are a few sub factions you can become a memeber of such as the companions!! but it is all just the same old thing all the way through the game!!!

dragon slaying is pointless and the thummmm what ever that last minute cant think of a good prop thing is! is just well ....... pointless. who actually uses anything other than unrelenting force!! infact im starting to feel more like a jedi each time i play the game .

no im sorry i cant say skyrim is a great game!! its ok but thats about it. sure it looks fantastic but we dont play looks do we!! we play games. and their isnt much game in skyrim!! also the mounts are pointless too and the travel wagons!! crafting is pointless.. infact the most useful thing ive found in the game is enchanting.

now here are my what ifs!!!!

what if -

skyrim was an mmo ?

skyrim had the option of more resources

the option of building your own fort/keep/town and working it to encourage npc's to come settle there!!!

skyrim had an multiplayer option so you wasnt the only one running about the world

you could fight from horse back

npc gaurds had diffrent injurys other than arrows in their knees.

as it stands skyrim feels linear at best!! FOLLOW QUESTS ! of pretty much exactly the same content and endings.  kill the bad guys whack the boss loot the chest lol  i know you all know what im talking about ;)

so yea ill leave that with ya!!  skyim is ok but not really worth ranting on about.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by chbautist

Originally posted by thark

1. It's suffers hard from "Consolitus" Wich is sad and limits the PC version..And If you don't have a controller(Xbox 360) for your PC , you will have to work with the bad keyboard/mouse port.

2. Conversations with NPC's is better than Oblivion but still very bad, sometimes you will end up in all sorts of odd situations, with the person you are talking to staring agains a wall and you staring at a table , with all matter of folks cackling about in the background and so it's impossible to actually hear anything from your dialogue.

3 The AI that handles if and when you have stolen/murdered someone is but funny, you can be out in the wilderness for days only to come back to civilisation and be greeted by the guards ..-"I know what you did " and yet you have absolutly no clue at all to what you actually did..So you will have to reload a 5 hour game session or face jailtime for something that not even the game seems to really know..

4 . The companion system..Well It's a shame really..

5. The combat..Is well bad..and In conjunction with your companion ..it's even worse.. This is partly the consol developments fault as far as I see it..Whats up with not being able to block If I have equipped spells in both hands ?  It could be explained like you have to focus for the spells to work etc, but all in all it's only because the game has to work fluently with a controller , and to many things at once for a controller is a big no no..

1- its not such a bad case of consolitis, and the mouse and keyboard work fine. except the inventory menus and trader interfaces are kind of funky and they could have ordered the items better.

2- you can still move your camera during those scenes

3- what are you taking about? sure didn't happen to me.

4- Yeah companions... sometimes they go AFK lol and you meet them back at your house the next day kinda weird but still not a major issue. the fact that they just cant help themselves but spring every trap is also quite comical.

5- your opinion. I think the combat is fine but yes I would like it if they made it easy to hotkey some spells, weapon sets and potions instead of going through the inventory during battle which sort of breaks the immersion (and the favorites menu is not much of an improvement)

I give it 4/5, your 3/5 is harsh

1.  PC controls are atrocious.  There's no way honey coat it.  They suck.  It was tolerable when I was playing a sneak-thief archer but now that I'm giving a hybrid caster/meleer a run, swapping spells and gear is absolutely onerous.  It's a real testament to the quality of the gameworld that I've been able to stay with it as long as I have.  And the menus?  Please, shoot me.

2.  Camera only seems to get locked while you're splitting logs or mining.  No biggie but still a minor irritant.

3.  Commit a crime and leave a witness.  It will happen.  By the way, horses you don't own are considered witnesses and can report you.

4.  Companions are thoroughly underdeveloped and exceedingly buggy.  I still bring them along for most of my jaunts though, since using them effectively becomes it's own little metagame.  And I need the extra carry capacity.

5.  Combat is often sluggish because the game is designed to be continuously paused so that you can use pots, switch gear, switch weapon sets or use scrolls.  The Favorites list itself does little to alleviate these gameflow interrupts because you can only have 8 items hotkeyed from it and those hotkeys can't load sets.  If you want to make sure you're loading the correct items or spells to the correct hand, you either need to pause, trust in fate or use extra keypresses to "move" things between hands.  And then, those 8 hot slots won't even cover your most often used weapons, spells and shouts.  I got around this by using no magic with my first character.  The woeful state of the interface is becoming clearer, the more I play this character.

All that being said, I still have to give it a 4/5.  The world itself is just too grand not to.  How Bethesda makes you interact with it can leave a lot to be desired though.

BTW:  Maybe now it's becoming clearer to some folks why many choose to solo in MMOs.  We just want a big world to explore and not a lot of imbeciles there to sully the experience.  Few SP games have offered a world with near as much depth as Skyrim.  That's not so much the case with MMOs.  And would Skyrim really be better if it were crowded, peak to valley, with other players?  I certainly don't think so.

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

5. The combat..Is well bad..and In conjunction with your companion ..it's even worse.. This is partly the consol developments fault as far as I see it..Whats up with not being able to block If I have equipped spells in both hands ?  It could be explained like you have to focus for the spells to work etc, but all in all it's only because the game has to work fluently with a controller , and to many things at once for a controller is a big no no..

I would rate Skyrim 3/5 

What planet are you on? "The combat..Is well bad.." What??? It is one of the best melee combat systems I have ever played. I have never used nor will I ever use a controller as they for dummies who play Consoles. The mouse and keyboard is very well done in Skyrim and the combat is one of the best I have ever experiened. I would say as good if not better than Mount and Blade (normally considered the best sword fighting game on the pc).

Care to name a game that you say is good combat or are you just trying to troll something because you like be different and make an ass of yourself.

Skryrim combat not good? wtf planet ......

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Cacophanist

I would rate Skyrim 3/5 

What planet are you on? "The combat..Is well bad.." What??? It is one of the best melee combat systems I have ever played. I have never used nor will I ever use a controller as they for dummies who play Consoles. The mouse and keyboard is very well done in Skyrim and the combat is one of the best I have ever experiened. I would say as good if not better than Mount and Blade (normally considered the best sword fighting game on the pc).

Care to name a game that you say is good combat or are you just trying to troll something because you like be different and make an ass of yourself.

Skryrim combat not good? wtf planet ......

i find skyrim's combat to be pretty ordinary. sure, it looks pretty with the cutscenes, i can't argue that, but it's pretty lazy and about the only thing which makes it interesting is most fights are over so quick. it's very kill or die, which is thrilling. but hardly challenging.

i use a pc keyboard/mouse and i'm not overly fond of the combat.

as for good combat, i think i've played too many mmos, many of which are more responsive. in most mmos, for example, i find a strafe around my victim in a circle. it's the rogue in me. but with skyrim, i don't even bother. there's no need.

as for what planet, i'm on earth. you?

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Has an old school feel while being new school. That's why I like it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.