Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Crafting Still Matter? And other questions

RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Hello! I made a Necromancer Cat creature (sorry, can't remember the race's name. Kerra, maybe?)  She's my main adventurer, crafter and harvester.  Most likely I'll be crafting reguardless of what the answer is, but is still worth it?

I plan on turning one of my houses into a shop. My main is a provisioner, but I'm thinking about having carpenter and outfitter alts. So, ,my second question is can I be a pure crafter? I *think* I can level up on just crafting quests.

Speaking of levels and tradeskillers, I read some where that some crafters level lock at 10. What does that mean and why would you do it.

Thanks, EQ newbie

Monique

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

theres crafting levels and adventure levels

- neither can earn AA until they are at least level 10

fior levell restriction purposes, EQ2 will consider either

example flying has a restriction of level 85  -- but it can be adventure level or tradeskill level

does crafting matter?

I personally dont craft so cant comment, but if like housing, carpentry is the way to go

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Realedazed

So, ,my second question is can I be a pure crafter? I *think* I can level up on just crafting quests.

Thanks, EQ newbie

Monique

You can, if you wish, be a pure crafter and not level up on the adventure side. But you do need resources to craft with. Those resources are harvested in progressively higher-level areas, where you can be one-shotted by practically anything if your own level is too low. Buying everything needed can get hellaciously expensive.

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

You can be a pure crafter but adventuring helps with earning AA's which can then be spent in the tradeskill tree.  Not sure why you'd want to level lock at 10 though, as leveling will help you more easily obtain the harvests you will need, more easily complete the crafting quests, and earn more AA's.  But if you want to stay at level 1 and just craft, it certainly can be done.

Is it still worth it? Not quite as it once was.  With the research ability, spells don't sell much as they used to, except for the higher levels, but even that has declined.  The crafted armor is not as good as it once was, as the quested gear and drops are often just as good or better.  Provisioning depends on your server.  On our server food sells for not much more than cost to make, so not worthwhile to compete with that.  Weapons still seem to sell though, and carpenter items still sell well.

There's lots of crafting quests to keep you busy a very long while, especially after level 50.  So still worthwhile overall.

• RealedazedRealedazed Member UncommonPosts: 105

Thanks for the replies. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why anyone would want to level lock at 10 either. I think you get Tradeskill AA at level 20, anyway. So far, I do enjoy questing as much as I do crafting so it doesn't really apply to me. I have  my AA gain set at 50/50, since I don't mind leveling slowly - for the moment that is.

• asyndetonasyndeton Member UncommonPosts: 87

Turning your house into a shop sounds aewsome! What server are you on? I might give you some business.

Anyway, I have a tailor, carpenter, sage, and am working on jeweler. I use all of them. My tailor makes my clothes. Sage and jewler are great helps for making expert spells, which really are quite good. Carpenter is just a lot of fun.

As far as selling things to others, I am sure there is a lot of people interested in buying expert spells. And Mastercrafted armor is still pretty good. Better than questing gear usually in my experience. So I would say it is still useful, especially if that is what you enjoy. I mean if anything you can get your alts all powered out.

But anyway, the opening up your shop idea is so cool, I wish more people did that. Everyone likes to buy off the broker because it is quick and easy. But how awesome would it be to have a carpenter team up with a provisioner and open up a nice bed and breakfast for people to go tour and RP in?

Edit: Oh yeah I forgot to add, it is very possible to solely craft on your character. My jeweler is going to just be a jeweler. I dont plan on doing any adventuring. Of course that may make gathering difficult, but if you are in a guild with a harvest depot thats not so bad, then again there are those quests throughout places like Butcherblock and Steamfont that may make you run around a bit.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Just to add to above reply, if you level up enough to get invisibility and feign death, it could help with resource harvesting and also the crafting quests. Another good class for going crafting is Bard as Bards get stealth and run speed.... both very useful. You can get crafting mounts too, and there is a flying mount later on for crafters...

I still find master crafted gear to be great, and if you are going as a sage, people will still want experts. However, it is difficult to get rare materials (that is why they are rare heh). The normal crafted gear is not so good anymore. Professions seem to have nice useful "other" things that people might want to buy from you: tailor hex dolls and bags for example, woodworker totems, jeweller accessories for example. Then there are the useful but annoying to level up secondary professions such as tinkering.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! I do like crafting in this game.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.