Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess that "Work" Arguement didn't quite pan out...

So many insults from the "Working" class about how everything will be jammed packed after they get home... well US-EU looks like this...

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

Comments

• DrachonisDrachonis Member Posts: 183

Well seeing these numbers on the server status page... Darn we could be playing...

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Originally posted by Drachonis

Well seeing these numbers on the server status page... Darn we could be playing...

Sure could, fear not thouhg sometime in the next 7 days you can play on a light load server.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Rather have a smooth launch, even if it mean I have to wait a few days.

Last thing I want them to do is create too many servers.

Originally posted by Happyguy83

What does creating servers have to do with anything... the servers are on light load and are already created... we could all be playing right now.

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Very pleased to see this.

Bioware seems to be on the right track! Let's hope it lasts well into release.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by sanosukex

strange cause 3 hours ago I checked them and they were all full, heavy, or medium... for NA

Players got out of the tutorial zone... unclogging it.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    The server status page is reporting on the overall pop of the entire server. The starter zones are what matters right now.

I imagine their server architecture has some separate hardware for different planets or something.

Either way they are only concerned right now with what the starter zones can handle not the entire cluster of servers that make up one "server."

Think of it this way, if a zone can hold 1000 people (totally made up number) then all the zones can hold 18000 people simultaneously. I'm sure it's much larger numbers but I'm keeping it simple. Point is 15 - 17 zones are unused.

The total capacity of each server is irrelevant. All that matters is the starter zones.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by dubyahite

The server status page is reporting on the overall pop of the entire server. The starter zones are what matters right now.

I imagine their server architecture has some separate hardware for different planets or something.

Either way they are only concerned right now with what the starter zones can handle not the entire cluster of servers that make up one "server."

Think of it this way, if a zone can hold 1000 people (totally made up number) then all the zones can hold 18000 people simultaneously. I'm sure it's much larger numbers but I'm keeping it simple. Point is 15 - 17 zones are unused.

The total capacity of each server is irrelevant. All that matters is the starter zones.

No earlier it was Full because the start zones were full... thats a server mechanics as old as EQ... Players have progressed past the starter zone now and we could all be in the start zone playing. Oh and no... no Theme Park game server can hold 10k people at one time.... like every other theme park it's 1-3k at best.

Originally posted by DexterMMO

strange cause 3 hours ago I checked them and they were all full, heavy, or medium... for NA

makes sense.. yea why not add more waves now then? seems crappy not too

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

because they probably work 9-5.

hehe.

• Edge22Edge22 Member UncommonPosts: 3

What does getting out of the tutorial zone have to do with server population? Wouldn't players have to log off of the server in order to decrease that servers population?

The Cake is a Lie!

Originally posted by Laughing-man

hehe.

No MMO developer works 9-5 on a launch.

Originally posted by Edge22

What does getting out of the tutorial zone have to do with server population? Wouldn't players have to log off of the server in order to decrease that servers population?

you are thinking server as in "Sith meditation Sphere" not server as in "Physical computer server" like a CPU.  a GAME server (lets call it a shard)  can have MULTIPLE PHYSICAL CPU'S running it.

Making it so that the starter zones are on seperate "servers" than later areas.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

hehe.

No MMO developer works 9-5 on a launch.

But its not a launch, its early access...

I'm just playing devil's advocate.  Sorry, I'm not playing either, and yeah it sucks.

I don't understand how this is not logical to anyone apart of this technological age who players these type of games... There is a limit on how many people can be packed into one zone of a game... if you have 3k people fighting over the same starter mobs in the smallest zones of theme park mmo's that would be a diasaster... the starter zone was at its max load... players have since progressed past the starter zone and now the server will let more people in because the server itself is not full.

You can eat a 2 pound order of chicken fried rice... but when it comes out... it's in a much smaller capacity regardless to how large it feels... now reverse that.

I don't understand how this is not logical to anyone apart of this technological age who players these type of games... There is a limit on how many people can be packed into one zone of a game... if you have 3k people fighting over the same starter mobs in the smallest zones of theme park mmo's that would be a diasaster... the starter zone was at its max load... players have since progressed past the starter zone and now the server will let more people in because the server itself is not full.

Throw in zone channeling (which seperate servers could be used for seperate channels too) and it would make it so that starter zones should never ever be "full" but yet it seems like bioware is playing it super duper safe.

yea i remember same thing happened with rift as well.. although they let everyone in same day.. but once few hours went by que's went from like 40 min to nothing

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Smoothest launch ever

Originally posted by Kidon

Smoothest launch ever

accept for people in the The Jekk'Jekk Tarr server which has been down for awhile.. unless thats a new one.. not sure:P

Anyone on a server called Jekk'Jekk Tarr.. 

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

you never played warhammer online then, this was exactly how they killed the game.. 500 players per server..250 per side..then they raised to 1000, 500 per side, who gave a fuck, good game plagued by bugs and ghost town, and noone to group with

that 3k user limit they been talking, certainly isnt concurent.. when wow launched in 2004 with 3k concurent users,  now swtor launches with same.. in 2011.. qq, just that wow upgraded servers multiple times.. oh and added crossrealms for almost everything,  ( i dont play wow anymore) ( i quit warhammer because while playing early access on full server, there were maybe 4 players in my lvl range to group with )

so no.. i would take hour queue anyday over underpopulated servers

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Yeah, same here.  I'm honestly not sure how accurate those server stats are.  

It's the first day of Early Release. I'm sure we'll see server populations take on a healthy spike within the remaining couple of days.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Smikis

you never played warhammer online then, this was exactly how they killed the game.. 500 players per server..250 per side..then they raised to 1000, 500 per side, who gave a fuck, good game plagued by bugs and ghost town, and noone to group with

that 3k user limit they been talking, certainly isnt concurent.. when wow launched in 2004 with 3k concurent users,  now swtor launches with same.. in 2011.. qq, just that wow upgraded servers multiple times.. oh and added crossrealms for almost everything,  ( i dont play wow anymore) ( i quit warhammer because while playing early access on full server, there were maybe 4 players in my lvl range to group with )

so no.. i would take hour queue anyday over underpopulated servers

Not that anyone would care in TOR, since everyone is playing their story and grouping is not as necessary as its in WAR with RvR.