Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We're being played.

Comments

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by eccoton

Originally posted by catlana

First, early access does not count vs your free 30 days.

Second, the game is not available for retail sale.

So this early access is costing EA money in the form of less earnings per day. EA is hoping that this early access period provides a smoother more positive play experience for their customer base. Which EA hopes will lead to more sub dollars. This is not rocket science.  

That is it. You got it right it is about press having a smooth launch to make money. Some hear talk about it like it is a favor EA is doing for them. We are the ones doing EA the favor.

From a technical stand point doing the launch this way also allows a higher density of players per server. Even thou each server is a cluster, different parts of that cluster handle specific parts (ala typhon). You want to spread players over as many parts as possible. The best way to do this is to stagger invites or have queues (ala WoW method). 

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Originally posted by 69Cuda

Originally posted by Badgered86

"A lot of us, myself included, are at work right now. Calm down, things will get busy once NA start getting off work

Remember, these are TWO extra extra days so everyone's a winner in the end!
    "

This poor sap actually believes that they decided to out of the goodness of their hearts to give us two "extra" days. Do you? If you're that gullible then I have beach-front property to sell you in Arizona.

This was all planned from the get-go.  Under-promise and over-deliver.  All (good) design firms (architectural, engineering, graphics, games, etc.) operate under this model.

Make no mistake, folks.  This is launch day disguised under the marketing ploy of being "early access."  That's the only way they could get around the inevitable backlash that would result from them doing this without the marketing speak cover.

"This is a big day for us; we are launching Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, BioWare’s largest and most ambitious project to date, and we’re very proud that you’ve been able to join us. It’s an honor to be able to share this game with you.

A huge team of talented, passionate people at BioWare, Electronic Arts, Lucas Arts as well as many other partners all over the world poured their hearts and souls into this game. We want to thank every single one of them for being part of the team that developed this game; it’s a monumental accomplishment.

Another group of people that we depended upon was you, the players. We had hundreds of thousands of players spend millions upon millions of hours beta testing this game. Without you we never would have been able to build it; thank you for your contribution. This game is yours just as much as it is ours.

And finally we want to emphasize that this is just the beginning of a very long journey together. The game is launched, but it’s not done; it will probably never be done as we’re committed to working on Star Wars: The Old Republic in order to keep improving it and delivering exemplary service to you, the customer. It’s going to be a great ride.

Finally, we can only think of one appropriate way to sign off on this auspicious occasion:

May the Force be With You!

Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk

Co-Founders, BioWare
    "

Imagine if any other game launched but didn't allow everyone who purchased the game to log in on day one.  People would be raging and gaming media would be all over it.  That's exactly what is happening here, except many gamers and media outlets are buying it hook, line, and sinker because they've used marketing lingo to cover up what they're really doing.

Think critically.  We're being played.

So it would have been better to allow everyone in on the same day and have the servers crashed , filled up to max, peep can't get in with thier freinds, guilds are screwed, que times etc etc ad naseum opposed to a wave phased launch ?

I am willing to go out on a limb here and say that you are the type of person that could make a million dollars a day and still find something to complain about.

Yes it would be better to have everyone access on the same day. Why do you give EA so much slack. This games estimated cost was 80 million dollars 5 years of development and they can not make a sameday launch work?  This is not some little company building an mmo in their basement. This is prehaps the most expensive mmo develpoped and you do not think they could have a smooth launch with everyone who wants entering on the same day? The OP is correct.

How would this be better to let everyone in all at once?

Server ques, crashing servers, we all know that is exactly what would happen do you wanna try and fight 500 other people in the starter areas over one enemy or sit in two hour plus ques?

No wait they can open tons more servers to let everyone in so then six months from now when the population stabalizes half of them can be low or medium population. Hopefully they only open what's actually needed and not just open tons of servers that are gonna be low population in a couple months....

We have all know from way back this is the way they planned on doing early access now all of a sudden people act as if they never knew you could have found the info all over the web and if someone didn't research too bad so sad...

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Atibra

The biggest problem with Early Access is that it is currently giving an unfair advantage to Day 1 people - these people are getting free Exp and Commendations by exploiting PVP WarZones.

Do a simple search for people streaming SWTOR now, and you'll see quite a few people spamming WarZones over and over - however the Warzones end prematurely (120 seconds) due to lack of players... because the servers are empty.

Thus, they are able to farm experience and commendations at a much faster rate than they should be able to.

The concept of Early Access is fine, as long as it doesn't give an unfair advantage to players based on when they got in. The problem with BWs horribly managed EA program is that they are giving an advantage to fist Day players - and not even attempting to address it.

Treating your community like they lack the intelligence to be told what is going on, is a horrible way to start trying to nurture a long term relationship with that community for your game.

Jesus man the world won't end if they get something before you.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Are you so niave to think EA and BW after spending 80 million dollars could not have a smooth launch horse crap. We are not talking about some small company. This is EA why not expect them to let everyone who buys the game enter on the same day. They can do it. Remember EA 80 million dollars no need to cut them slack.

Just look at your first statement, what does the ability of buying as many servers as they want, have to do with a smart and rational release? Nothing at all.

It's as important to not overshoot as it is to not undershoot. Sure, if they wanted to they could probably have a server for every 1000 players, but do you know how dumb would that be?

Lets think critically about how a staggered launch can help keep servers stable, as well as gauge the need for "more servers".

First of all with a controlled wave they know what impact it will have on their servers, on top of that as the early adopters move out of the starting areas. The second wave is hitting them. As they move out the third is moving in, so on and so forth.

As more and more players hit they're populating different servers, and on those servers the same thing is happening. In doing this they've avoided some major problems most launches have, queues, system shock ( server instability), login in fails/time outs, crashes due to populated small areas.

What's the one downside to all of this? Players need to have a bit of patience?

The philosphy here seems sound to me, the pro's seemingly out-weigh the cons, blah, blah...

I just don't see your posts as looking at the bigger picture here, you seem to be focused on one thing and one thing only, people have to wait....

And people act like it would make a difference if they just opened the floodgates, and servers collapsed, lagged all to hell and had massive queues. You'd be making the same post except it would say, 80 mil and they couldn't avoid this?

In the end it doesn't matter, gamers at large are never pleased, if your side wasn't pissed the other side would be. I'd still be face-palming left and right.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Thinking critically would involve not accepting your post at face value, as well as not accepting theirs (Bioware's).  Would you care to present documentation for your more outrageous claims?  Burden of proof falls in your corner.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

The biggest problem with Early Access is that it is currently giving an unfair advantage to Day 1 people - these people are getting free Exp and Commendations by exploiting PVP WarZones.

Do a simple search for people streaming SWTOR now, and you'll see quite a few people spamming WarZones over and over - however the Warzones end prematurely (120 seconds) due to lack of players... because the servers are empty.

Thus, they are able to farm experience and commendations at a much faster rate than they should be able to.

The concept of Early Access is fine, as long as it doesn't give an unfair advantage to players based on when they got in. The problem with BWs horribly managed EA program is that they are giving an advantage to fist Day players - and not even attempting to address it.

Treating your community like they lack the intelligence to be told what is going on, is a horrible way to start trying to nurture a long term relationship with that community for your game.

agreed. I think the idea of early access is antiquated. Developers used early access as sort of a beta years ago to test servers etc. those days are over. I will be playing SWTOR I preordered a month ago and spent a couple months in beta. I will not lose sleep over when I get in but what EA is doing is to make money. No other pre-order did I have to pay and extra 5 dollars for the "privilege" of early access.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

We are not entitled to this game until the 20th so anyone crying about bonus/early access can simply STFU and have a Pepsi.

• AtibraAtibra Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by nerovipus32

I appreciate your response, and understand that in your world where you spend most of your days in game planning how to beat the badly coded artificial intelligence or scripted event that is called PVE.... people getting free Exp or PvP rewards, is not a big deal.

However, in the world of PvP it is quite annoying when a subset of people get an unfair advantage specific to gains within the PvP system.  As I said stated originally, if it was simply a few days head start... I could understand.  The problem is that once I am in game there is the potential for this exploit of EXP and Commendations not to exist - and thus it is not an even playing field.

Again, good luck with your scripted events in PvE... but I'd suggest avoiding PvP specific topics, thanks.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

It really only matters if you think that somehow by not being let in early you are somehow falling behind in some way.

This is a game, remember to treat it as such.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I guess if everyone pre-ordered the day they announced pre-orders then maybe everyone could launch today. But they didnt..so they can't. You're getting pissed over semantics....they didn't sell us anything except a game. If you pre-ordered the game  then you could get early access as a perk. It is what it is.  I didn't pay extra for early access...I paid what I planned on paying once I saw the different options. I didn't even know if there was early access when I pre-ordered because I didn't read about it at that time. I fail to see how we are being "played". When it's not costing me anymore than I ever intended to pay AND I get 7 days advance play. I wish more companies would play me like this....oh ..that's right..they have ....because I've  played at least 3 other MMOS that offered the same deal..pre-order=headstart. No one bitched then..well..that I remember.I was too busy playing.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• OnetoOneto Member UncommonPosts: 26

I didn't pay a dime to pre-order from Amazon.

I got my early access email this morning.

I'm at work and can't play.

I have class after work and can't play.

boo hoo. poor widdle Oneto can't play like all the other children.

EA should have waited until classes were out for the holiday break so that I could play too.

Yes, I sound like a spoiled child and so does everyone else that is complaining about early access.

I have pre-ordered games before just to get into early access. I did the same for this one.

Originally posted by Soki123

If you don t like it cancel your damn pre order and don t play. This is the biggest whinefest I ve seen over absolutely nothing. You would have a right to bitch if they stated otherwise, but they didn t. Get over it, and maybe you wouldn t be so cranky and probably have a headache from refreshing your e mail all day.

Why is this such a big deal. People are to damn spoiled nowadays, they think everyone owes them the world.

Grow up and deal with it.

This is an mmo people do not deal with mmos rationally. I do wonder way EA charge an extra 5 dollars for early access. No other mmo I preorderd has ever done that. I think that makes what EA is doing with a stagger launch suspicous for many players. This is actually an interesting discussion more then it is a whinefest. People have responded to my post as if I am upset, far from it. I just think people don't get it, EA is doing this for money not charity. Nothing wrong with this they made the game to make big big bucks.

I appreciate your response, and understand that in your world where you spend most of your days in game planning how to beat the badly coded artificial intelligence or scripted event that is called PVE.... people getting free Exp or PvP rewards, is not a big deal.

However, in the world of PvP it is quite annoying when a subset of people get an unfair advantage specific to gains within the PvP system.  As I said stated originally, if it was simply a few days head start... I could understand.  The problem is that once I am in game there is the potential for this exploit of EXP and Commendations not to exist - and thus it is not an even playing field.

Again, good luck with your scripted events in PvE... but I'd suggest avoiding PvP specific topics, thanks.

i love how you assume im a pve player when im not..when you stop whining and the rage has cleared you might realize how silly you sound.

Originally posted by BarCrow

I guess if everyone pre-ordered the day they announced pre-orders then maybe everyone could launch today. But they didnt..so they can't. You're getting pissed over semantics....they didn't sell us anything except a game. If you pre-ordered the game  then you could get early access as a perk. It is what it is.  I didn't pay extra for early access...I paid what I planned on paying once I saw the different options. I didn't even know if there was early access when I pre-ordered because I didn't read about it at that time. I fail to see how we are being "played". When it's not costing me anymore than I ever intended to pay AND I get 7 days advance play. I wish more companies would play me like this....oh ..that's right..they have ....because I've  played at least 3 other MMOS that offered the same deal..pre-order=headstart. No one bitched then..well..that I remember.I was too busy playing.

If you bought the game digitally from origin for early access you did pay an extra 5 dollars as a seperate fee.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

To be fair enough, if someone did order to get early access, and now is not getting early access, I think that says it all right there. I would rather wait in a que for 2 hours than get only 1 day of early access and still have paid for it thinking I am getting this.

I have not seen any previous MMO that offered early access where the servers crashed because of over population, and thats pretty laughable. Thats why there was a stress test? no? like 2 weeks ago? with 2 million players?

Just saying they said if you purchased this game under these rules such a pre -order now you "Will BE ENTITLED TO EARLY ACCESS"  hence anyone who did IS ENTITLED.

Oh wells I am not going to buy the game just yet but this is not how early access works.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• AtibraAtibra Member Posts: 65

i love how you assume im a pve player when im not..when you stop whining and the rage has cleared you might realize how silly you sound.

The alternative was to assume you're simply a really bad PvP player - or are too busy responding here off the cuff instead of taking the time to do some web searches, watch the streams of people taking advantage of the PvP EXP/Item Exploit - and realizing that it's a problem.

If you really don't think an exp/commendations/item exploit isn't an issue for PvP - then you don't do competitive PvP.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

"A lot of us, myself included, are at work right now. Calm down, things will get busy once NA start getting off work

Remember, these are TWO extra extra days so everyone's a winner in the end!
    "

This poor sap actually believes that they decided to out of the goodness of their hearts to give us two "extra" days. Do you? If you're that gullible then I have beach-front property to sell you in Arizona.

This was all planned from the get-go.  Under-promise and over-deliver.  All (good) design firms (architectural, engineering, graphics, games, etc.) operate under this model.

Make no mistake, folks.  This is launch day disguised under the marketing ploy of being "early access."  That's the only way they could get around the inevitable backlash that would result from them doing this without the marketing speak cover.

"This is a big day for us; we are launching Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, BioWare’s largest and most ambitious project to date, and we’re very proud that you’ve been able to join us. It’s an honor to be able to share this game with you.

A huge team of talented, passionate people at BioWare, Electronic Arts, Lucas Arts as well as many other partners all over the world poured their hearts and souls into this game. We want to thank every single one of them for being part of the team that developed this game; it’s a monumental accomplishment.

Another group of people that we depended upon was you, the players. We had hundreds of thousands of players spend millions upon millions of hours beta testing this game. Without you we never would have been able to build it; thank you for your contribution. This game is yours just as much as it is ours.

And finally we want to emphasize that this is just the beginning of a very long journey together. The game is launched, but it’s not done; it will probably never be done as we’re committed to working on Star Wars: The Old Republic in order to keep improving it and delivering exemplary service to you, the customer. It’s going to be a great ride.

Finally, we can only think of one appropriate way to sign off on this auspicious occasion:

May the Force be With You!

Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk

Co-Founders, BioWare
    "

Imagine if any other game launched but didn't allow everyone who purchased the game to log in on day one.  People would be raging and gaming media would be all over it.  That's exactly what is happening here, except many gamers and media outlets are buying it hook, line, and sinker because they've used marketing lingo to cover up what they're really doing.

Really?  You think people don't know this? -_-

The alternative was to assume you're simply a really bad PvP player - or are too busy responding here off the cuff instead of taking the time to do some web searches, watch the streams of people taking advantage of the PvP EXP/Item Exploit - and realizing that it's a problem.

If you really don't think an exp/commendations/item exploit isn't an issue for PvP - then you don't do competitive PvP.

haha! i think you need to go flex your epeen.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

The reason nobody was bitching then was simply because they didn't release the game in waves to people. I pre ordered because I had the money at the time and was expecting to get into all of the head start, I wanted the headstart simply because I don't have time to play it for a week after launch, so thats the only reason I'm pissed.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by sammyeli

To be fair enough, if someone did order to get early access, and now is not getting early access, I think that says it all right there. I would rather wait in a que for 2 hours than get only 1 day of early access and still have paid for it thinking I am getting this.

I have not seen any previous MMO that offered early access where the servers crashed because of over population, and thats pretty laughable. Thats why there was a stress test? no? like 2 weeks ago? with 2 million players?

Just saying they said if you purchased this game under these rules such a pre -order now you "Will BE ENTITLED TO EARLY ACCESS"  hence anyone who did IS ENTITLED.

Oh wells I am not going to buy the game just yet but this is not how early access works.

Quoting this right here again!

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

If you bought the game digitally from origin for early access you did pay an extra 5 dollars as a seperate fee.

You sure it wasnt a deposit?

At gamestop's here in Canada you have to pay a $5.00 deposit on a pre order for any game period. It isnt an extra charge and gets taken off the final bill for the game/games

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Panther2103

The reason nobody was bitching then was simply because they didn't release the game in waves to people. I pre ordered because I had the money at the time and was expecting to get into all of the head start, I wanted the headstart simply because I don't have time to play it for a week after launch, so thats the only reason I'm pissed.

you originally thought the headstart was the 15th, so nothing should have changed as you you've been prepared for the 15th for awhile now.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Then you're not much of a competetive PVP'er if you didnt preorder soon enough to get in today... so there =P

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by Soki123

If you don t like it cancel your damn pre order and don t play. This is the biggest whinefest I ve seen over absolutely nothing. You would have a right to bitch if they stated otherwise, but they didn t. Get over it, and maybe you wouldn t be so cranky and probably have a headache from refreshing your e mail all day.

Why is this such a big deal. People are to damn spoiled nowadays, they think everyone owes them the world.

Grow up and deal with it.

This is an mmo people do not deal with mmos rationally. I do wonder way EA charge an extra 5 dollars for early access. No other mmo I preorderd has ever done that. I think that makes what EA is doing with a stagger launch suspicous for many players. This is actually an interesting discussion more then it is a whinefest. People have responded to my post as if I am upset, far from it. I just think people don't get it, EA is doing this for money not charity. Nothing wrong with this they made the game to make big big bucks.

If the $5 is not a reserve fee with the remaining game charge to apply on day of launch...if it truly is $5 dollars on top of the regular price...then order from somewhere else. I paid no extra charge for pre-ordering from Amazon.

Saw your reply to my prior post just now: If they are truly charging an extra $5 and it isn't a deposit..then that is bullshit.