Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We're being played.

Comments

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

Originally posted by C1d0s

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

I think y'all are being trained to pre-order whatever they're selling next as early as possible, no questions asked.

If you pre-ordered on day 1, you're happy you did and satisfied seeing all this crap on the forums. It justifies the moronic act of buying something sight un-seen.

If you didn't pre-order on day 1 you're either frothing, angry or just waiting patiently. If you're waiting for it at all it means you wish that you'd ordered sooner. It encourges you to jump the gun next time.

If you didn't pre-order and aren't waiting/ watching the forums, you're not the demographic they're trying to train. You're training will come when you get owned for weeks in PvP.

Just another conspiracy theory. FSM help them if they do this to their most rabid fans and then have a horrible launch anyways.

I'd hardly call it training.

There are so many other companies already utilizing, and that have been, this idea of Early Access / Special Rewards for immediate / limited-time preorders.

I preordered and wasn't available for this wave of EA activations, but you don't see me raging up and down the halls claiming I'm entitled to anything.

A lot of people are just upset, and I bet if Bioware sent them an e-mail saying: "We're sorry. Wanna play now?" They'd suck it up and forget everything they were angry about. But what do you expect? If anything, I suppose it's a sign that people REALLY want to play the game - that's never a bad thing, huh?

The question is though, next time EA says that they're staggering release based on when you pre-ordered will you purchase earlier?

Originally posted by ColdSun

I'm not trained.  I ordered it last week.  When I felt the game was worth buying.  It took me a long time to come to a decision.  Early entry isn't going to force me to buy the game sooner.  I don't give a rat's arse if people are higher level than I am.  Its the journey for me, not the ending.

Me too

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

I think y'all are being trained to pre-order whatever they're selling next as early as possible, no questions asked.

If you pre-ordered on day 1, you're happy you did and satisfied seeing all this crap on the forums. It justifies the moronic act of buying something sight un-seen.

If you didn't pre-order on day 1 you're either frothing, angry or just waiting patiently. If you're waiting for it at all it means you wish that you'd ordered sooner. It encourges you to jump the gun next time.

If you didn't pre-order and aren't waiting/ watching the forums, you're not the demographic they're trying to train. You're training will come when you get owned for weeks in PvP.

Just another conspiracy theory. FSM help them if they do this to their most rabid fans and then have a horrible launch anyways.

There are so many other companies already utilizing, and that have been, this idea of Early Access / Special Rewards for immediate / limited-time preorders.

I preordered and wasn't available for this wave of EA activations, but you don't see me raging up and down the halls claiming I'm entitled to anything.

A lot of people are just upset, and I bet if Bioware sent them an e-mail saying: "We're sorry. Wanna play now?" They'd suck it up and forget everything they were angry about. But what do you expect? If anything, I suppose it's a sign that people REALLY want to play the game - that's never a bad thing, huh?

The question is though, next time EA says that they're staggering release based on when you pre-ordered will you purchase earlier?

As any good consumer, I would have to say it depends on the product and my past experience with other related items from the same developer.

As any good consumer, I would have to say it depends on the product and my past experience with other related items from the same developer.

if you pre-ordered sight un-seen you're not being a good consumer. Years ago, the thought of pre-ordereing anything, especially a video game would have seemed ridiculous. It doesn't anymore. Among the pre-ordering population, what I did - played the game first - makes me a very small minority. To me it's common sense. To you, *maybe* (I don't know when you ordered) not so much.

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

if you pre-ordered sight un-seen you're not being a good consumer. Years ago, the thought of pre-ordereing anything, especially a video game would have seemed ridiculous. It doesn't anymore. Among the pre-ordering population, what I did - played the game first - makes me a very small minority. To me it's common sense. To you, not so much.

Because you know whether or not I preordered sight unseen, right?

I don't. I did't

Played beta, preordered.

Hardly sight-unseen.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

I'm not trained.  I ordered it last week.  When I felt the game was worth buying.  It took me a long time to come to a decision.  Early entry isn't going to force me to buy the game sooner.  I don't give a rat's arse if people are higher level than I am.  Its the journey for me, not the ending.

I think you putted things nicely into perspective.

I preordered much longer ago then that , didnt get my invite yet and yes.. sure I feel some disapointment not getting in today but I really cant think of anything making it worth complaining about..

I have plenty of other things AND games to keep me entertained for a couple more days.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

if you pre-ordered sight un-seen you're not being a good consumer. Years ago, the thought of pre-ordereing anything, especially a video game would have seemed ridiculous. It doesn't anymore. Among the pre-ordering population, what I did - played the game first - makes me a very small minority. To me it's common sense. To you, not so much.

I don't. I did't

Played beta, preordered.

Hardly sight-unseen.

The post was obviously about you and not a general statement.

I don't. I did't

Played beta, preordered.

Hardly sight-unseen.

I think I was editing while you were replying - I apologize. Good consumering, but you are also in the minority

Skyrim

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I don't. I did't

Played beta, preordered.

Hardly sight-unseen.

I guess I was the only one pre-ordering "video games" when most of the inventory was for a Commodore 64...

So I'm not sure how many "years ago" this concept was but I must have missed it.   I even remember the last two things I pre-ordered for my C64 were Ultima 6 and a CMD Ram-Link  <- and that ram link was godly back then lol.

anyway....  have a nice day.  *.*

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Lol! The OP made me laugh. Who cares what their real agenda is? They told us how it would work and that's how it's working. Even better and more smoothly. Maybe they did under promise and over deliver but... good!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by Badgered86

"A lot of us, myself included, are at work right now. Calm down, things will get busy once NA start getting off work

Remember, these are TWO extra extra days so everyone's a winner in the end!
    "

This poor sap actually believes that they decided to out of the goodness of their hearts to give us two "extra" days. Do you? If you're that gullible then I have beach-front property to sell you in Arizona.

This was all planned from the get-go.  Under-promise and over-deliver.  All (good) design firms (architectural, engineering, graphics, games, etc.) operate under this model.

Make no mistake, folks.  This is launch day disguised under the marketing ploy of being "early access."  That's the only way they could get around the inevitable backlash that would result from them doing this without the marketing speak cover.

"This is a big day for us; we are launching Star Wars™: The Old Republic™, BioWare’s largest and most ambitious project to date, and we’re very proud that you’ve been able to join us. It’s an honor to be able to share this game with you.

A huge team of talented, passionate people at BioWare, Electronic Arts, Lucas Arts as well as many other partners all over the world poured their hearts and souls into this game. We want to thank every single one of them for being part of the team that developed this game; it’s a monumental accomplishment.

Another group of people that we depended upon was you, the players. We had hundreds of thousands of players spend millions upon millions of hours beta testing this game. Without you we never would have been able to build it; thank you for your contribution. This game is yours just as much as it is ours.

And finally we want to emphasize that this is just the beginning of a very long journey together. The game is launched, but it’s not done; it will probably never be done as we’re committed to working on Star Wars: The Old Republic in order to keep improving it and delivering exemplary service to you, the customer. It’s going to be a great ride.

Finally, we can only think of one appropriate way to sign off on this auspicious occasion:

May the Force be With You!

Ray Muzyka & Greg Zeschuk

Co-Founders, BioWare
    "

Imagine if any other game launched but didn't allow everyone who purchased the game to log in on day one.  People would be raging and gaming media would be all over it.  That's exactly what is happening here, except many gamers and media outlets are buying it hook, line, and sinker because they've used marketing lingo to cover up what they're really doing.

Think critically.  We're being played.

lol,  I think this cry of 'think critically' is a bunch of hogwash.  A company under promising and over promising is a good basis, but I just saw a thread about things that they are promising that people are lamenting as 'pie in the sky' and 'i'll believe it when I see it'.  You can think as critically as you want with these things and work yourself into an Ulcer.  The game is launched or early launched, however you want to look at it.  Just enjoy it.  Its finally here.  

I think a lot of people in the MMO world seem to have a hard time with this concept.

I self identify as a monkey.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by eccoton

Originally posted by dubyahite

Originally posted by dubyahite

I agree with the OP. Today is the launch day not the 20th. He is right this is just a way to stagger launch. What if the game launched on the 20th for all players but you did not get access for two days? You would be pissed. Pre-order is a smoke screen to get your money early and to stagger player access.

Can you go walk into a store and buy the game today? Didn't think so. game's not out yet. 

This was a smart move on their part. If they didn't do this the same people crying about not being able to play would be crying about not being able to play because the server crashed, or the queue is 8 hours or whatever. 

This isn't launch. It's early access. Other companies have done it as well. It's not the same. 

Are you so niave to think EA and BW after spending 80 million dollars could not have a smooth launch horse crap. We are not talking about some small company. This is EA why not expect them to let everyone who buys the game enter on the same day. They can do it. Remember EA 80 million dollars no need to cut them slack.

That's just it. They are having a smooth launch right now.  The servers stayed up. there are no queues.  

Smooth launch accomplished.  

Was there some other point to your response?

Beyond that, there is more to a smooth launch than money. Sure they could open up 3,000 servers, but if the population dips in a few months and servers have to be merged you'll all be back here bashing them for that.  They have to limit the number of servers, even though there are going to be too many people for each server.

Even if the population never dips and continues to grow, the servers will never see a beating like launch day again. Peoples play times will be more spread out and not all logging in at the same time.

It's always better to have to open up new servers down the road then it would be to have to merge them later. People start saying a game has completely failed when server mergers happen, plus it destroys communities.  

The point is this is about buck and nothing else which is ok by me. I will be in on the 15th and I am patient but make no mistake this is about EA not you as a player. Some people post here about this launch as if EA is doing them a favor.

Actually, it's about providing a smooth launch, the distribution of first-month player density (both server load and in-game experience), and the long-term management of healthy server populations so that they aren't closing 50 of the 100 servers after a year.

You argue that this is EvilCorpCo throwing 80 million at a project, and then use that to support some short-term money  grab theory that, frankly, doesn't make any sense. Look, you're sore because you're not playing now. We get it. But to ignore fact because a consipracy theory makes you feel better about having to wait two whole days to still get in five days before release is ridiculous.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Yeesh. Occupy Crawl Space in full effect. I'm putting you in a timeout. Go outside and run around on the front lawn for a while.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179

The EGA is essentially a marketing trick.

Have people preorder the game literally months ago is totally unheard off.

What you get is essentially the Early Game Access.

But what means to them?

What it means is that they can have a smooth transitioning to official launch date by  allowing the major chunk of player to log in 7 days earlier.

They hold no responsiblity at all if you enter in EGA smoothly or fast, since the official launch date is on 20th Dec.

That way, they can brag they had the best launch of MMO to date (while in fact the original launch was at EGA, which was nothing but smooth, but staggered and griefed).

Aswell they can solve minor issues of the game like bugs and minor polishing while ppl still at EGA (which again they hold no responsibility at all).

Think about this way.

They cant have launch date at 20th (without EGA) and have people in, in staggered waves or queues? That would mean disastrous to their good image and risk anything.

When you preordered the game back in July or even up to December, you had nothing to lose but they had everything to gain.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."

• You seem kind of delusional OP. You are really trying to grasp at straws with hands covered with oil. You can't create a strawman the way you are and expect people to even understand where you are coming from unless where you are coming from is just wanting to rant about not getting your way then well life isn't fair nor will it ever be.

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Imagine if any other game launched but didn't allow everyone who purchased the game to log in on day one.  People would be raging and gaming media would be all over it.  That's exactly what is happening here, except many gamers and media outlets are buying it hook, line, and sinker because they've used marketing lingo to cover up what they're really doing.

Rift had pre-order early access too, they just didn't stagger it.  And they had unbelievably long queue times and a lot of pissed off people.  

I'm fine with the way they are doing it, as long as people aren't being let in the day before actual launch.

i assure you most people would have prefer 4 hours queues over the unknown of not knowing when they will get to play.  many people will get iether one lame day or a few hours before launch.  that is enough of a reason for not playing this game.  if they treat their costumers this way, you can expect even worse things down the line.

• FrankVLucasFrankVLucas Member UncommonPosts: 45

Why can't I play a game, that I have already paid for? I got the box with my cd's yesterday, so why can't I play?!

Right, there's a sticker on the cd case saying "Official Game Access Does Not Begin Until Dec. 20 2011"

Originally posted by Paithan

I think you putted things nicely into perspective.

I preordered much longer ago then that , didnt get my invite yet and yes.. sure I feel some disapointment not getting in today but I really cant think of anything making it worth complaining about..

I have plenty of other things AND games to keep me entertained for a couple more days.

well, only the most rabid, and ultra over protective fanboys are ok and happy with this.  then again,  you can tell them to put up with anything, even to bend over and take it side ways and upside down without vaseline, and they will  do so before being asked to.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Originally posted by Nadya3

Rift had pre-order early access too, they just didn't stagger it.  And they had unbelievably long queue times and a lot of pissed off people.  

I'm fine with the way they are doing it, as long as people aren't being let in the day before actual launch.

i assure you most people would have prefer 4 hours queues over the unknown of not knowing when they will get to play.  many people will get iether one lame day or a few hours before launch.  that is enough of a reason for not playing this game.  if they treat their costumers this way, you can expect even worse things down the line.

You people honestly have to get over it,  BioWare was very clear about how they were letting in preorders and they moved up the the date.  Nothing will make you all happy unless you get exactly what you want.

I'm not happy my friends didn't get in today,  but you know what?  I understand why they did it... and nobody would be happy with the queue times... so it was much better to stagger it.   

Honestly this is the way launches should be handled.  I played most of the day today and we didn't have any major problems or downtimes,  no lag,  no issues at all... and BioWare received enough data to know what they'll be able to handle from this point forward.  This is how you run a service.....  

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Someone somewhere is always going to be unhappy no matter what. For those who are in game and enjoying the game their viewpoint is complete opposite to yours. However, the moment you log in and start playing you wouldn't even care.

I have seen this kind of madness on every MMO launch but seriously this needs to stop and people need to act their age.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

this approach will cost EA a huge amount of potential subscriptions.

oh for the ones of you, planning to play on a pvp server,  have fun getting rolled over by all the level 50th players

some people will be level 50  way long before the free week they get ends.

this approach will cost EA a huge amount of potential subscriptions.

oh for the ones of you, planning to play on a pvp server,  have fun getting rolled over by all the level 50th players

some people will be level 50  way long before the free week they get ends.

This approach won't cost EA huge amount of potential customers it will just piss off impatient people who will stop complaining the moment they are able to log in. Been there and done that.

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

Originally posted by onthestick

Someone somewhere is always going to be unhappy no matter what. For those who are in game and enjoying the game their viewpoint is complete opposite to yours. However, the moment you log in and start playing you wouldn't even care.

I have seen this kind of madness on every MMO launch but seriously this needs to stop and people need to act their age.

do you actually think people will forget about this just because they got a bone thrown at them?  aww the good ole hearted EA is giving us 1 day of headstart or maybe 2 hours before launch day!  after paying for their freaking game. 

you have to be or very naive or a major ass kisser fanboy to actually think that.

do you actually think people will forget about this just because they got a bone thrown at them?  aww the good ole hearted EA is giving us 1 day of headstart or maybe 2 hours before launch day!  after paying for their freaking game. 

you have to be or very naive or a major ass kisser fanboy to actually think that.

No i am pretty sure that you will forget it once you log in. The only reason you are smashign your head against keyboard is because you can not play. Want to bet?

if being mature and patient is considered ass kisser fanboy sure..yeah i am one. feel better now?