Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character creation - still no improvement after months of beta feedback.

Comments

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I don't understand why people really need a customization system to rival some fo the super mmo's. Whats the point? I understand you want to look different, but really all those intricate facial details are going to be hidden when your in First Person, or staring at your characters behind. Thats failing to mention every other option including your face can be covered with a Helm or Hood.

Why waste the time and money on further developing a system for customization we all know the majority of players won't even notice past the creation screen? This is an actual question,  I would like to know why. I understand some of you will be hiding helms and hoods, and constantly staring at your character zoomed in, but I wager the majority of gamers won't. Is it for the VO's you want to appear unique?

/shrug seems like a waste of time and money to me, glad they didn't devote much to it.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836
    Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by laserit

Personally it does not bother me. When I get all that gear on, I can barely see my character anyway. The ability to swap out equipment stats is way more important for variety IMHO.

not true you will see the face on in every single quest

I like the Cyborg racial options so I'm okay with that. I never ran into anyone who looked just like my BH. I don't think it's as bad as many make it out to be, there just aren't sliders which would go a long way to rectifying the system as it stands now.

I can see why they limited facial adjustments since there's lots of facial expressions when talking but not sure why so limited in body types.. also hair options are dissapointing as well

Yeah you can only be a stick figure, bird chested and chicken legged, he-man or Fat-albert. Definitely not all that appealing on that end. Some sliders for the body would be much appreciated.

Though on your first point, DA2, ME, etc, have far more facial options and much more in the way of expression.

true but different engine possible different limitations for facial expressions not sure... or they just got really lazy
  • CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Redemp

I don't understand why people really need a customization system to rival some fo the super mmo's. Whats the point? I understand you want to look different, but really all those intricate facial details are going to be hidden when your in First Person, or staring at your characters behind. Thats failing to mention every other option including your face can be covered with a Helm or Hood.

Why waste the time and money on further developing a system for customization we all know the majority of players won't even notice past the creation screen? This is an actual question,  I would like to know why. I understand some of you will be hiding helms and hoods, and constantly staring at your character zoomed in, but I wager the majority of gamers won't. Is it for the VO's you want to appear unique?

/shrug seems like a waste of time and money to me, glad they didn't devote much to it.

Why does everyone deal with extremes on these forums?

I don't see anyone explictly asking for the level of customization a game like CoX or CO offers... rather, they'd just like to have more options than can be counted on a single hand.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I think it boils down to some people simply like to feel they created the look of their character over being handed a limited set of options.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Thats my opinion of it.

How many people would like it... if you could put your own face on your avatar. How would that be for custimization?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Thats my opinion of it.

How many people would like it... if you could put your own face on your avatar. How would that be for custimization?

This is why I always make female characters.  If I have to look at an ass for 5 hours, it mights as well be a pleasant experience.  Even my wife commented on my smugglers little tush wagging back and forth when I walk :)

Thats my opinion of it.

This would not be possible, the servers would buckle under the splendor that is my handsomly sculpted chin, jaw, brow, and my dashing smile.

Thats my opinion of it.

This would not be possible, the servers would buckle under the splendor that is my handsomly sculpted chin, jaw, brow, and my dashing smile.

that's complete BS

Thats my opinion of it.

If you look anything like Richard Simmons... I'd concur

Thats my opinion of it.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Well, 100's of millions of dollars were spent creating the game.  If something got a lot of beta feedback asking for improvement and nothing changed that is discouraging.

Ofcourse the lack of options is not game breaking.  You basically have some people saying they don't care how they look, just like in real life.  But in real life you have more options to be a slob.  How many slobs in real life would cry like babies if they couldn't walk around in pajamas with morning hair at Walmart?

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Thats my opinion of it.

That was uncalled for, lol

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

It's highly likely on the "things to do" list but they do, as all developers have to draw a line under some things & say, okay that's enough time spent on that feature for now, we'll come back to that later & do more time on it post-release.

It's far from being a good character generator, but a lot in this game is "just good enough", it doesn't feel like an omission more like a tightly run production, but corners have been cut & this is one of them, I imagine a lot of other areas had constraints on them due to budget & resources too. And most of it will get attention eventually.

Thats my opinion of it.

The server's would definatley implode. Forget I mentioned it ;)

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

The only CCreator that I have ever liked was WoW's and LOTRO's.

I fucking hate sliders because I could never get my character looking cool or anything, even after hours of fine tuning.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Well, not to get too much into it, and maybe it will get fixed soon and they will allow for a 'remodel' kit or something, but this doesn't give me a good feeling towards the game as a whole.  I like choices/options/depth, and if they skimped here, did they skimp in a lot of places that are gong to bother me in the end?  No idea, as I am not in yet and I didn't get to play a ton on my 2 beta weekends.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

Sadly Star Trek Online has the best character creator to date unless you count APB and its short lived one.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Terranah

I was looking forward to some long hair designs for girls.  I hate short hair butch looking female avatars.  So...probably will go with male avatar in this game. 

How short? Male short back and sides? Pixie cut? Mohawk? Faux-hawk? Does it touch the shoulders at least? Any ponytails?

Long hair is a unfortunately a no-no in MMORPG's because of clipping concerns.

The bestest longest hair I've seen in an MMORPG was the top-not braid in EQ2. It looked like it was Phys-X enabled and swung about and danced like it had weight.

------- END TRANSMISSION

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Well, 100's of millions of dollars were spent creating the game.  If something got a lot of beta feedback asking for improvement and nothing changed that is discouraging.

Ofcourse the lack of options is not game breaking.  You basically have some people saying they don't care how they look, just like in real life.  But in real life you have more options to be a slob.  How many slobs in real life would cry like babies if they couldn't walk around in pajamas with morning hair at Walmart?

Sorry, not picking on you. image

Production cycles are not that quick in software. How long has the beta been going? Even with "months and months" of feedback, like the OP mentioned. We might be lucky and start seeing this stuff January-ish? If some companies give that illusion of a quick response, it's usually because they were already working on it...

------- END TRANSMISSION

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I think they've made it pretty clear during beta the customization and appearance aren't really at the top of their list. Just take a peak at the level 50 Jedi PvP armor sets... you'll understand what I'm saying lol.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Of course, if someone is trying to quantify feedback and they don't work directly for BioWare, it's pure speculation. There's no other way we can know over all those months how much feedback they got about the character creator, or how many players gave positive or negative comments in that regard.

My personal opinion is that BW wouldn't ignore something like that given a 2-3 year beta to fix things, and that anyone complaining now that they didn't spend resources despite the beta testers is just spouting BS. To be perfectly honest, the character generator doesn't bother me in the least. I've played with (relatively) very few creators that were better, and with a lot of worse creators.

Originally posted by rygard49

Of course, if someone is trying to quantify feedback and they don't work directly for BioWare, it's pure speculation. There's no other way we can know over all those months how much feedback they got about the character creator, or how many players gave positive or negative comments in that regard.

My personal opinion is that BW wouldn't ignore something like that given a 2-3 year beta to fix things, and that anyone complaining now that they didn't spend resources despite the beta testers is just spouting BS. To be perfectly honest, the character generator doesn't bother me in the least. I've played with (relatively) very few creators that were better, and with a lot of worse creators.

you can if you had been following the beta forums and reading what players have complained about the most.. UI was one of the biggest and so was character customization.. neither changed.. also pretty much every single professional beta review stated being somewhat dissapointed with UI and charater customization in one way or another

• zhandaozhandao Member Posts: 46

My personal opinion is that BW wouldn't ignore something like that given a 2-3 year beta to fix things, and that anyone complaining now that they didn't spend resources despite the beta testers is just spouting BS.

That's not opinion, that's unquestioning faith in a company.  Please.  Anybody can make mistakes.

• trozyxxxtrozyxxx Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by zhandao

My personal opinion is that BW wouldn't ignore something like that given a 2-3 year beta to fix things, and that anyone complaining now that they didn't spend resources despite the beta testers is just spouting BS.

That's not opinion, that's unquestioning faith in a company.  Please.  Anybody can make mistakes.

Not just mistakes, theres cost involved, if its going to cost $xxx and the bosses want to spend that on some other part of the game then it stays as it is, useable just not that great.

I can live with it, only thing i really hate is the hair.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Could be much worse... they could have introduced Pandas into the game... be thankful you're not a Panda... or Hello Kitty for that matter.