Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Naming Rules

Has anyone tested how strict/filtered the naming policy is with this?

I have a feeling it will be similar to SWG (as Lucas have a big say in things) in terms of policy and with that, will be completely ignorant to European slang/language.

In SWG, i remember i made alts called 'Bollocks' and 'Buttmunch' to test this. I don't wish to have a crude name, but i do have one in mind that cracks me up thinking about it :)

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by Vegetto

Has anyone tested how strict/filtered the naming policy is with this?

I have a feeling it will be similar to SWG (as Lucas have a big say in things) in terms of policy and with that, will be completely ignorant to European slang/language.

In SWG, i remember i made alts called 'Bollocks' and 'Buttmunch' to test this. I don't wish to have a crude name, but i do have one in mind that cracks me up thinking about it :)

Hm, I'll create a Smuggler and name him Obvious. With the title I am "Captain Obvious" then. XD

Ok, sorry. Not helping, hehe, but the idea came to my mind.

I recall in SWG I had a neighbour who was named "Skidmarkz" so it was always a house titles "Skidmarkz' House". Sheesh. While I am usually not too strict with names, I wish they would forbid such names. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ECM0NEYECM0NEY Member Posts: 4

OP please dont be that guy...

• HawkWyndeHawkWynde Member Posts: 7

1. Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

1. You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

2. You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

3. You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

4. You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

5. You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

6. You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

7. You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

8. You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

9. You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

10. You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

11. You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

12. You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

13. You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/roc

Darn, looks like Daft Vader is out.  Sephiroth might count as harassment.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

they should not be too stricted with name rules... we are gonna pay for the game and pay every month, we should at least keep the rights to fire names at will.... (discarding obscene names of course).

what i dont like is the format being used in all sub based mmos, like WoW, only one word, no space, initial cap, no symbols.... yeah some ppl go crack when those things are available in names but hey who cares.... weird names shouldnt brake my immersion

• VegettoVegetto Member Posts: 841

As expected then.

But like i said, won't apply to Euro slang. You could walk around with the most obviously disgusting name you would hear in England, but an American wouldn't be aware that it was, due to cultural differences. I imagine it's even moreso for other Euro countries. And policies aren't regional.

If my first choice name is used like in SWG, then i may go 'tongue-in-cheek' with it. Pleased they will block the Star Wars name copies and names with 'xX' in them.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by HawkWynde

Snip!

Never underestimated the creativity and power of the Arsehat they will find a way around the restrictions, the negative force is strong in these young anti-padawans.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• AngelfireAngelfire Member Posts: 145

If people can't put Darth in thier name who will I point and laugh at?

If i don't see a "Pizza Da'Hutt", i'll be shocked...very.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

1. Naming Policy

When creating a character or guild name for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it is encouraged that you select a name that reflects the theme of the game. The guidelines listed below outline the types of names that you can NOT use, and apply to both player or character names, as well as guild names.

If you violate any part of the above Naming Policy you will either be assigned a new name, or given the option of changing the name. In addition to this, your account could incur a penalty up to and including account closure.

1. You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

2. You may not use names that are harassing or defamatory to other players or employees of EA, BioWare or LucasArts, e.g. EASUX, Timsretarded, and Biowaresux.

3. You may not use names of any EA, BioWare, or LucasArts employee or service related to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

4. You may not use names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials or products, e.g. Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper.

5. You may not use names from popular culture or media, e.g. Lady Gaga or George Lucas.

6. You may not use names that are religiously or historically significant, e.g. Jesus, Winston Churchill.

7. You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names. Guild names, however, MAY use the proper names of specific areas to help promote role-playing and realm pride, e.g. Defenders of Tython or Protectors of Hutta.

8. You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic, e.g. Darth Malgus, Satele Shan, Yoda, Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker.

9. You may not use names containing titles or ranks within them, e.g. General Supertrooper, Captain Tim, Darth Timmy, Knight Wakey.

10. You may not use names that refer to drugs or that are drug related.

11. You may not use names that contain an inappropriate phrase, sentence or any fragment of a sentence or Leet speak, e.g. uberhaxer, xxspeederxx, lolface, rofl, Noobwhacker, TimmyF**k, kock, fuk.

12. You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

13. You may not use gibberish names when creating character, e.g. ajsdu, rifndsw, qweszs.

Source: http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/roc

i wonder what do they think we should name our toons with all this limitations... lol imma name a toon whodapoo, and see waht happens >.> this list has some serious issues

• HawkWyndeHawkWynde Member Posts: 7

Here's a Star Wars Name Generator (or just Google for a name generator, lots of neat ideas this way, especially if your name is already nicked).

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

*crosses off EASUX and Timmyfuck off list*

Damn got to think up some new names.

Personally the name thing should really only come into play on RP servers. Obviously people want their total immersion and went out of their way to pick a place where it is in practice. Other than that, people should settle down. I always hear these wails of protest on how someone's Utopia was ruined because of a name.

Think of it this way, if that is something you are vociferously complaining about, you have a pretty good life. If you need some perspective on things, I can gladly come over and throw acid in your face. I assure you that a character name in a MMO will not seem like such a big deal after that.

Not like any of this will matter to some people. There are people miserable enough to go around reporting every name they see instead of actually playing the game. Hopefully people get wrapped up in the story enough that when they get in a PuG Flashpoint with "Jedidude", it's not going to be the end of the world or that they had the sense to go on a RP server in the first place and not be subject to masochism.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Here's a Star Wars Name Generator (or just Google for a name generator, lots of neat ideas this way, especially if your name is already nicked).

I suppose I'm lucky as I never have trouble creating original names, I actually find the process fun, yep sad I know image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

"Assho Lesbo
    Eloporsche of Crack"

Hmmmm :)

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

well i guess the name i wanted is out the window..Sucmysaber..hehe

• gurunadegurunade Member UncommonPosts: 23

Black Jedi named Samj'ackson here I come.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Seeing as the game has "The Outlaw" title, I have no option but to create a Gunslinger somewhere down the line and name him Joseywales. *sigh* :)

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally posted by rojo6934

they should not be too stricted with name rules... we are gonna pay for the game and pay every month, we should at least keep the rights to fire names at will.... (discarding obscene names of course).

what i dont like is the format being used in all sub based mmos, like WoW, only one word, no space, initial cap, no symbols.... yeah some ppl go crack when those things are available in names but hey who cares.... weird names shouldnt brake my immersion

Thought I'd hope on and say you can have an apostrophe in your name, three of my characters did so hopefully it will help with the name you care to use or try. 

On topic too, as an RP'er I would hope and desire naming policies like this. It helps with immersion. On the opposite side, it also helps me see those I want to avoid based on the idiotic names they choose. ( Meaning names like Chuk Norriss, Ibangedurmom and the like). Call me "that guy", I dont mind cause I know Im not alone. 

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Although you can only use it for awhile, for a trooper the rank of lieutenant and the name of "Dan". image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

so i have been getting away with having qu--f in my names for many mmo's and mobas recently, i really enjoyed the beta and im actually thinking of making a legit name lol. as a smuggler i think Ned Kelly would work out quite well. if it has not already been taken hahaha

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by scotty899

so i have been getting away with having qu--f in my names for many mmo's and mobas recently, i really enjoyed the beta and im actually thinking of making a legit name lol. as a smuggler i think Ned Kelly would work out quite well. if it has not already been taken hahaha

And that violates the naming rules already listed. No names of famous people/historical figures.

I'm impressed with how their naming policy has all the bases covered for silly naming traditions used in most MMO's. As it's pretty impossible to change the naming policy after launch without angering a playerbase. 

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

as if i would use the correct spelling. replace some letters with numbers and bam. all G

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108

as if i would use the correct spelling. replace some letters with numbers and bam. all G

I dont think that'll fly..

1. You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928

Originally posted by Althewiseguy

I dont think that'll fly..

1. You may not use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules, e.g. Hamsolo, Yooda, DorthVader.

What about DorkMall?

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Can I be Daft Potato? How about Ham Sandwich?

Yay for no Legolass Leggolass Legollas.