Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game so Expensive?

Comments

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by MaGicBush

Originally posted by Kainis

Methinks the younger crowd is finally getting their first taste of supply and demand economics 101.

What? Makes no sense, a digital copy and the current times :P. There is no supply/demand on a downloaded digital copy. It's called inflation and greed.

Bandwidth is free? The infrastructure for facilitating the mass distributing of a ~19gb client over the internet is free?

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Because this is the biggest and best mmo ever

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Originally posted by Uronksur

Methinks the younger crowd is finally getting their first taste of supply and demand economics 101.

What? Makes no sense, a digital copy and the current times :P. There is no supply/demand on a downloaded digital copy. It's called inflation and greed.

Bandwidth is free?

To those that don't have to pay for it out of their own pockets it is image

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Bandwidth is free? The infrastructure for facilitating the mass distributing of a ~19gb client over the internet is free?

Pretty much compared to the sales price of a digital copy. Thanks to every potential customer having internet acces, marketing is a lot cheaper nowadays too. Also, you missed MaGiCBush's point. The price isnt high because of limited supply. Thats the great part (for MMO devs) of digital distribution.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Payed the same price for Skyrim a couple of weeks ago simply to fill the gaming void in my life now i gotta shell out the same buck$ for SW-ToR?

You guys think WoW was BIG?

You guys ain't seen shit yet!

But shit is coming and I only hope EA/Bioware is prepared for the masses that are going to try to log in on launch day!

WoW players and gamers in general are starved for a new decent AAA title and this is probably gonna be it for now...

Originally posted by someforumguy

Pretty much compared to the sales price of a digital copy. Thanks to every potential customer having internet acces, marketing is a lot cheaper nowadays too. Also, you missed MaGiCBush's point. The price isnt high because of limited supply. Thats the great part (for MMO devs) of digital distribution.

It certainly isn't for boxes. Packaging and discs only cost cents out of total box cost.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

--
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

...my point is that MaGicBush is wrong. There is a supply/demand for digital distribution. EA has to purchase and maintain servers just to distribute the client, and bandwidth has to be purchased to distribute it. If the point he wanted to make was that such is comparatively cheap to a physical product, maybe he should have said that, not that it didn't exist at all.

It certainly isn't for boxes. Packaging and discs only cost cents out of total box cost.

Dont forget design and distribution. You dont have to design art for and manufacture a digital copy. Digital download is also easier to scale. If you need more bandwidth because of demand, thats easier to do then having to print and distribute another million boxes all over the world, which takes more time. Or worse, the other way around, having printed too many copies.

...my point is that MaGicBush is wrong. There is a supply/demand for digital distribution. EA has to purchase and maintain servers just to distribute the client, and bandwidth has to be purchased to distribute it. If the point he wanted to make was that such is comparatively cheap to a physical product, maybe he should have said that, not that it didn't exist at all.

Bandwidth is cheap and easier to scale. Printing and distributing physical copies takes time. So if demand exceeds supply with this, you have a serious problem. Even more the other way around. Digital distribution is way more flexible and cheaper. Stop believing their marketing bs that tries to justify those prices and subs.

They ask 60$ +15$ a month because they can. This has nothing to do with costs.

• EzequielBEEzequielBE Member Posts: 27

I'd rather say no now than question myself 2 years from now "where'd we go wrong?". 60+ for an offline game is already a stretch, but for an online game which requires a subscription? No, that's pushing the limits too hard too fast. I've bought every recent "AAA" (what a stupid thing to say lol, AAA MMOs) MMO and never did I pay more than 40.

[Mod Edit]

Bandwidth is cheap and easier to scale. Printing and distributing physical copies takes time. So if demand exceeds supply with this, you have a serious problem. Even more the other way around. Digital distribution is way more flexible and cheaper. Stop believing their marketing bs that tries to justify those prices and subs.

You aren't paying attention.

Magicbush said the supply/demand does not exist at all. I am pointing out that his claim is wrong. Why you are coming and telling me that bandwidth is cheap and easy to scale is beyond me, because it is besides the point.

Dont forget design and distribution. You dont have to design art for and manufacture a digital copy. Digital download is also easier to scale. If you need more bandwidth because of demand, thats easier to do then having to print and distribute another million boxes all over the world, which takes more time. Or worse, the other way around, having printed too many copies.

They likely do what everyone else has ever done. The shipping companies give a bulk rate on the number of boxes you ship at a given time. You print for that many boxes so you say "I need one order to go to Zimbabwe" and that might mean several thousand, etc. Since art is all on pdf, typically, the cost of it all again is reduced to cents per total cost of box. Oh, and many provide said pdfs as part of the digital download, with the only thing missing are the extra adds and box cover art. Spread out over a couple of million orders, these things are negligible and the companies are willing to eat those costs.

-----------------------

--
    --

Magicbush said the supply/demand does not exist at all. I am pointing out that his claim is wrong. Why you are coming and telling me that bandwidth is cheap and easy to scale is beyond me, because it is besides the point.

No he is right. There is no limit to the supply of a digital copy as long as the salesprice for each product exceeds the costs.

A physical copy can be manufactured too much and for that reason drop in price is there is not enough demand. Digital distribution produces the copy right at the moment when someone demands it. So there are never too many copies and not too few.

The scaling of bandwidth is the only thing that matters with digital distribution. Think for a moment how this works with a physical copy. You cant just magic new copies into existance when you need them.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

I remember paying $80 for Mortal Kombat II for the SNES when it came out.  Seriously.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

They likely do what everyone else has ever done. The shipping companies give a bulk rate on the number of boxes you ship at a given time. You print for that many boxes so you say "I need one order to go to Zimbabwe" and that might mean several thousand, etc. Since art is all on pdf, typically, the cost of it all again is reduced to cents per total cost of box. Oh, and many provide said pdfs as part of the digital download, with the only thing missing are the extra adds and box cover art. Spread out over a couple of million orders, these things are negligible and the companies are willing to eat those costs.

You always lose more money on this. The amount you produced is never right. Its too much or you get delays for certain regions because you have too few. So this means priority manufacturing with extra costs, or shipping to other regions. It definately has more overhead costs then digital distribution.

No he is right. There is no limit to the supply of a digital copy as long as the salesprice for each product exceeds the costs.

A physical copy can be manufactured too much and for that reason drop in price is there is not enough demand. Digital distribution produces the copy right at the moment when someone demands it. So there are never too many copies and not too few.

The scaling of bandwidth is the only thing that matters with digital distribution. Think for a moment how this works with a physical copy. You cant just magic new copies into existance when you need them.

Aside from actual shipping times, if I were a publisher, I could guarantee another 100,000 shipped boxes shipped from my warehouse within an hour. That's how efficient logistics are with these things now. I couldn't necessarily guarantee 100,000 downloads without problems within the hour though, or at least not without problems for some...

-----------------------

--
    --

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223

Price at release is irrelevant to me because I can't afford to pay release prices. I don't mind waiting a few years for a good game to go on sale. For example, within the last month I got Mass Effect 1 and 2 for $9.99 each and Oblivion for $4.99. I think I paid something like $6.24 for Civ 5 a few months ago. I may be playing old games, but the graphics are good enough and at less than $15 a pop I can always afford to keep myself occupied.

As far as SWTOR goes, I'll wait until it goes F2P. There are so many good games that I haven't played yet that I can't justify paying so much for it.

He. Did. Not. Say. That. This is not a complicated concept.

You always lose more money on this. The amount you produced is never right. Its too much or you get delays for certain regions because you have too few. So this means priority manufacturing with extra costs, or shipping to other regions. It definately has more overhead costs then digital distribution.

Many places "buy" the order. That means that from a publishing perspective, they have filled their demand if they ship an order to Gamestop. Gamestop has 'bought' the order. When the customer gets from Gamestop, they are simply paying the store back for their costs. In short, Gamestop orders 500 for a store, that 500 is produced for that store. It is up to the store to then sell all 500. EA doesn't care. It has already made it's money off of the 500.

-----------------------

--
    --

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by VideoJockey

Price at release is irrelevant to me because I can't afford to pay release prices. I don't mind waiting a few years for a good game to go on sale. For example, within the last month I got Mass Effect 1 and 2 for $9.99 each and Oblivion for $4.99. I think I paid something like $6.24 for Civ 5 a few months ago. I may be playing old games, but the graphics are good enough and at less than $15 a pop I can always afford to keep myself occupied.

As far as SWTOR goes, I'll wait until it goes F2P. There are so many good games that I haven't played yet that I can't justify paying so much for it.

SWTOR will NOT go F2P so I guess you'll never find out what a great game it is.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by EzequielBE

I'd rather say no now than question myself 2 years from now "where'd we go wrong?". 60+ for an offline game is already a stretch, but for an online game which requires a subscription? No, that's pushing the limits too hard too fast. I've bought every recent "AAA" (what a stupid thing to say lol, AAA MMOs) MMO and never did I pay more than 40.

[Mod Edit]

besides games like skyrim what offline game provides as many hours of gaming off the initial box price than an MMO. I don't have problems paying same price for MMO right off the bat since the amount of content at launch they contain for exceeds most single player games that cost you 60 bucks and you finish in less than a week

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223

Originally posted by echolynfan

Originally posted by VideoJockey

SWTOR will NOT go F2P so I guess you'll never find out what a great game it is.

Source?

Aside from actual shipping times, if I were a publisher, I could guarantee another 100,000 shipped boxes shipped from my warehouse within an hour. That's how efficient logistics are with these things now. I couldn't necessarily guarantee 100,000 downloads without problems within the hour though, or at least not without problems for some...

You can only do that if you already produced them. This doesnt deal with the part you made yellow text .SWTOR is distributed worldwide, so what can you actually do within one hour with distributing physical copies?

Even if its a day or two that digital distribution has problems because of high demand, then you will still be faster with less overhead. Why? Because you will always send the right amount and there is no logistical nightmare ( worldwide distributing physical copies).

You can only do that if you already produced them. This doesnt deal with the part you made yellow text .SWTOR is distributed worldwide, so what can you actually do within one hour with distributing physical copies?

Even if its a day or two that digital distribution has problems because of high demand, then you will still be faster with less overhead. Why? Because you will always send the right amount and there is no logical nightmare ( worldwide distributing physical copies).

Which is why DD is so appealling to publishers. I'm not saying that it isn't easier, just that the costs aren't hugely different on the grand scale of things.

-----------------------

--
    --