Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game so Expensive?

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It is justified dreamsofwar. Prices aren set just by costs. There's a lot more that goes into it.

What's more important is what the market will bear. How much can we charge before it's too expensive. $60 is the normal price for a video game. All big releases are $60. It's not just about making it as cheap as possible for your customers. Its about maximizing profit.

If people will pay $60 it would be a huge error to charge $40.

Remember, a company isn't looking for the lowest price point. That would be stupid. They are looking for the most profit they can make based on the perceived value of the game.

Also, if you think shipping and cd manufacturing are their biggest costs associated with making a game like this, then you aren't paying attention. They have development and marketing costs to recoup also.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by fistorm

I really wanted this game but even the cheapest one is 60 bucks and thats without goodies on a preorder.   The collectors edition with all the goodies, 150 bucks, wow!   Theres no way I can pay for this, even relatives wont spend this much for a xmas gift on me.  The sub seems reasonable,  I guess I have to wait to get this....  /sad

Because some people have to have the latest shiny new thing and will pay it.  Wait a year and it will be much cheaper to buy the box, though the subscription price will probably still be the same.  The game will be better by then, too.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I figure $5 preorder fee, $15 for the 1st month, so $40 for the game.  Not too bad.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Pretty much all games now days are $60, even MMOs.  Gotta love the devaluation of the dollar...but that's a whole 'nother thread hehe

Edit: oh yeah, and they have to play George Lucas hehe

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Better than someone trying to get into WoW for the first time.

That's a boatload of cash right off the bat, plus subscription.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Just did a quick check.  Skyrim was 60, call of duty was 60, a bunch of new releases were 50.  So 60 seems to be an upper but not uncommon price, while 50 seems to be about the standard for a major game.

I self identify as a monkey.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by xeniar

Originally posted by mikahr

Try paying in Euros to see what it feels to be ripped off lol. Every month you pay your sub also counts to that feeling.

THIS!!

try it please. look at what we have to pay andcoonvert it back to dollars. please just do it for the fun of it.

+ 1

Yeah, I would gladly pay for games and other stuff as 'much' as you pay in dollars. Seriously it is much worse in Euro.

Australians have it even worse than EU I think.

Not sure how price in Canadian dollars look...

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Just did a quick check.  Skyrim was 60, call of duty was 60, a bunch of new releases were 50.  So 60 seems to be an upper but not uncommon price, while 50 seems to be about the standard for a major game.

Unless you have to pay in Euros. Then its 75$ ;P

Originally posted by fenistil

+ 1

Yeah, I would gladly pay for games and other stuff as 'much' as you pay in dollars. Seriously it is much worse in Euro.

Lets put it this way - if i hadnt found a way to pay in $ i wouldnt have bought it. Nough said :)

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by xeniar

Try paying in Euros to see what it feels to be ripped off lol. Every month you pay your sub also counts to that feeling.

THIS!!

try it please. look at what we have to pay andcoonvert it back to dollars. please just do it for the fun of it.

+ 1

Canadians use play money.  Just kidding.

I self identify as a monkey.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by sammyeli

I ususally buy almost every MMO and some others like The elder scroll series, battlefield series all CE just for a cool toys that come along with and the POSTERS!, but this one will be a pass.

Most MMOs in the past before this game and probably in the future 39.99 normal box, and around 70ish to 80 dollars CE, never seen these prices before.

So the $150.00 CE SWTOR isn't worth it? The Elder Scrolls Skyrim is the same price on the CE version and you get two or three little things? Sorry your post makes no sense.

• ForgeknightForgeknight Member Posts: 35

Here's an idea. Why don't you quit hoping someone else will buy it for you and go out get a job, save some money up and buy it yourself.  If you can't afford it then you don't need it. That's life Jr. Now you can learn from this or go occupy something and whine some more.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Most MMOs in the past before this game and probably in the future 39.99 normal box, and around 70ish to 80 dollars CE, never seen these prices before.

Since when? 39.99 for an expansion yeah, but for the MMO itself? Nope.  Maybe after it's been on the shelf for a while (See WoW) or tanked at start (See just about everything else).

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by Aeolron

I ususally buy almost every MMO and some others like The elder scroll series, battlefield series all CE just for a cool toys that come along with and the POSTERS!, but this one will be a pass.

So the $150.00 CE SWTOR isn't worth it? The Elder Scrolls Skyrim is the same price on the CE version and you get two or three little things? Sorry your post makes no sense.

You forget that skyrim is truely a great game and for me a hardcore fan of the elder scroll series that was a must have. This one just does not make sense. I guess if you slap Star wars on water bottles you can charge 10 bucks for it too.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

I thought most of the games have been 60 dollars for a few years. Where have you been ?

Originally posted by Roin

Since when? 39.99 for an expansion yeah, but for the MMO itself? Nope.  Maybe after it's been on the shelf for a while (See WoW) or tanked at start (See just about everything else).

I purchased aion for my wife 39.99 after launch 1rst week, also war hammer and aoc.

And no not after months of it being released just after the first week.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

For all players who paid $150 for this game ... See ya a month from now after you realize how much you wasted on this game. EA wont care though since they already made triple the normal cost for an MMO cause Star Wars fans are .. well, you know.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Lets put it this way - if i hadnt found a way to pay in $ i wouldnt have bought it. Nough said :)

Yea I know. I was talking more general + not possible in case of all games + don't like to be screwed only cause I am from other country + prefer to spend my money in my country.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by dubyahite

It is justified dreamsofwar. Prices aren set just by costs. There's a lot more that goes into it.

What's more important is what the market will bear. How much can we charge before it's too expensive. $60 is the normal price for a video game. All big releases are $60. It's not just about making it as cheap as possible for your customers. Its about maximizing profit.

If people will pay $60 it would be a huge error to charge $40.

Remember, a company isn't looking for the lowest price point. That would be stupid. They are looking for the most profit they can make based on the perceived value of the game.

Also, if you think shipping and cd manufacturing are their biggest costs associated with making a game like this, then you aren't paying attention. They have development and marketing costs to recoup also.

just the thing companies is putting it way too low, people would pay 500$ easy, just need to put on 5$each half year and people go, nah its not to bad, not yet....atleast if you read alot of people on this site saying its cheap entertainment, if you play the same game for 5 years its only 100$ a year right

You forget that skyrim is truely a great game and for me a hardcore fan of the elder scroll series that was a must have. This one just does not make sense. I guess if you slap Star wars on water bottles you can charge 10 bucks for it too.

Maybe others who gets the CE is also hardcore fan for Star Wars and love the game as well?

In the same logic, you can slap a TES on anything and charge crazy amount for it too ?

*watches the dragon fly backward*

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Originally posted by Otakun

For all players who paid $150 for this game ... See ya a month from now after you realize how much you wasted on this game. EA wont care though since they already made triple the normal cost for an MMO cause Star Wars fans are .. well, you know.

You really think that post will convince the people ballsy enough to buy a $150 CE to regret their decision? I'm sure they'd have bought lifetime subscriptions too, if they offered them.

The people you're talking about are probably in it for the long haul.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by fistorm

I really wanted this game but even the cheapest one is 60 bucks and thats without goodies on a preorder.   The collectors edition with all the goodies, 150 bucks, wow!   Theres no way I can pay for this, even relatives wont spend this much for a xmas gift on me.  The sub seems reasonable,  I guess I have to wait to get this....  /sad

The whole pricing sceme is  *normal*.  It's not low or high... that is what games cost these days, dude.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by zakiyawow

Maybe others who gets the CE is also hardcore fan for Star Wars and love the game as well?

In the same logic, you can slep a TES on anything and charge crazy amount for it too ?

I guess we will see how long the enthusiasm last with this one lol. I am just saying you cannot compare a Great title to a regular run of the mill mmo whose only inovation is VO.

Carl Sagan-

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

Let me just say that any game in europe (unless you buy it in a Big ass store where they can buy a milion copys for 12 euros) Will be released at 50 euros for PC and 60 even 65 for some titles for xbox/PS3

You guys get off easy! seriously.. oh and that CE geus what 150 euro's thats 200 dollars!

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Yea I know. I was talking more general + not possible in case of all games + don't like to be screwed only cause I am from other country + prefer to spend my money in my country.

Meh, my country is in red zone anyway ;P so no loss there ha ha.

And nowadays i only buy games on Steam when theyre 50-75% off :) And anything i really want to play is available on Steam.

Originally posted by zakiyawow

In the same logic, you can slep a TES on anything and charge crazy amount for it too ?

I guess we will see how long the enthusiasm last with this one lol. I am just saying you cannot compare the a Great title to a regular run of the mill mmo whose only inovation is VO.

I know people praise Skyrim and it got game of the year. But, you also need to realize not everyone has the same taste. Skyrim might be a great game for many, it really did not grab my attention. I gave the game away after 2 hours. Just not my cup of tea I suppose. I never understand why people have to trash talk on whatever game people enjoy.

After all, we are all gamers. Isn't it fine as long as we are having fun with that game of our choice ?