Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you feel that you need to play w/ lightsaber or force?

helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Greetings, I've been doing some research on what class I want to play at release and I can't help but feel like it would be wrong to play a Starwars game without a lightsaber or the force.

I've been starting to learn towards the dual pistol BH class (forget the name), but there's some knot in my stomach that makes me feel like playing without a lightsaber would end up feeling empty. Originally I thought Sith Marauder was a definite auto-lock, but watching the BH videos has left me wondering...

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I was like that to.  At first the only thought creeping though my mind was Sith Warrior.  Then linked up with my old guild and found they were going Republic.  So I said ok Jedi Knight.   Got into two beta weekends.  Commando was like love at first Assault Cannon kill. I eventually plan to have many alts, and the first will probably be Sith Warrior.  For now though all I can think about is getting back in game, and mow everything in my path down with Asault Cannon fire.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484
    If there were a ninja turtles mmo who would play Casey jones? I don't think you should be to bothered though... All classes have a great story that really mold them with importance in the game.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

To answer your question: nope. I tried Jedi knight, jedi sage, smuggler and trooper. I loved the Trooper game play. I know I will make one trooper tomorrow :)

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by helthros

Greetings, I've been doing some research on what class I want to play at release and I can't help but feel like it would be wrong to play a Starwars game without a lightsaber or the force.

I've been starting to learn towards the dual pistol BH class (forget the name), but there's some knot in my stomach that makes me feel like playing without a lightsaber would end up feeling empty. Originally I thought Sith Marauder was a definite auto-lock, but watching the BH videos has left me wondering...

I actually feel a bit the opposite.  So many people are going to end up playing Jedi that it almost ruins it for me. lol  After having played a bit some in beta I'm really wanting to play the BH class first...then the Agent, and lastly some sort of Jedi class.

• KebeckKebeck Member Posts: 323

Not at all, at least for me...

On the contrary, I think a lot of people will be interrested in the non-force class, especially to experience the Star Wars Universe from a different perspective..

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

Too the OP:

Don't worry so much. Just have fun.

The developer (Austin) said in a pre-launch interview that during BETA, only 24% of the player base ever played "Force" using characters.

So don't feel its your duty to play a certian class. Play what ends up being "fun". Its a game (a form of entertainment), its not a job and you aren't volunteering for community service.

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

NOPE! Lightsaber or bust!!

Who the hell would volunteer to play Casey Jones? Or Luke's uncle?

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Nope! Going Imperial Agent 1st. 

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

I don't know about anyone else...but I feel the need to play with my lightsaber daily....

Oh....

Wait....

On a more serious note, I've played all 8 'classes' in beta, and I'll eventually have all 8 classes live (Although my first will be a Shadow)

• brutality123brutality123 Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Eliandal

I don't know about anyone else...but I feel the need to play with my lightsaber daily....

Oh....

Wait....

On a more serious note, I've played all 8 'classes' in beta, and I'll eventually have all 8 classes live (Although my first will be a Shadow)

I did this during beta also. I will also be rolling all 8 classes on live as well..  Intially I plan on rolling assassin and jugg but a powertech and a sniper close on their heels.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Only played for a short time in beta, so I didn't get a chance to try out a bunch of different classes.  I, like the OP, was intent on starting the game off as a BH.  The closer it gets to  launch, the more I feel like I want to go Sith Warrior.  SO...I'll play the SW as my main, BH as an alt.  Problem solved.  image

• SpawnLODSpawnLOD Member Posts: 33

I will prob roll all 8 classes, but so far my favorite 2 have been the Trooper and Bounty Hunter from beta. All the stories are excellently done, so yea... Light Saber not required ;)

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

sort of .. but my choice was really easy because I like priests .. and I would prefer the healing spells be magical in nature, so Consular was an easy choice for me. I definitely plan to play the other healer ACs as well, though i might level them as DPS. Still not sure on how the alts will flow for me, but consular was an easy choice. it's what I love.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by helthros

I'm actually looking a lot forward to play something else. It's like the movies, damn I wish Lucas would make Bounty Hunter or Agent or some otherkind of movie and have the force users in some side-roles.

Anyway, what comes to gameplay:

Force users = Most traditional mmo gameplay.

Non force users = More unique gameplay.

At least that's my feelings after the beta, JK/SW felt a lot like the standard warrior and JC/SI felt a lot like mage/priest/rogue. Though they have twists and more opportunities with roles, at least Consular and Inq, but still.

Non force users felt a lot more like something I havent played in many other themeparks, maybe a lot of the feeling is because of the blasters, gfx, and sounds, since every other themepark is a high fantasy game with swords and spells.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Interesting responses. Casey Jones would be awesome if he could haul ass on rollerblades whacking people with a hockey stick.

I think it's because originally I thought we would be Republic, but it turns out we'll probably be Empire. Smuggler didn't really call to me, but Bounty Hunter seems so much better.

I kind of wish I had tried it out in beta, I only tested shadow and marauder.

I'll probably have a heal bot for PvP/ leveling in a council or inquisitor - Does anyone with BH (preferrably Merc) experience have anything to say on working with a healer? I always figure the melee options are more automatic with healers.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I played the Star Wars rpg for MANY years and not once did I play a full blown jedi or sith (although once I had a force sensitive character and also a Jawa force user sidekick :) ).

I find the Star Wars universe vastly more interesting and less limiting when playing a non-force user.

You stay sassy!

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Before getting into beta, I fully expected to play a Jedi, and couldn't imagine anyone not playing a Jedi or Sith....but then i tried the other classes.  The other classes are fun,  and you will never miss the lightsaber.  image

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

funny after playing all the classes through there starter areas I enjoyed the non-force users stories better than the forces users.. kinda bums me out in a way but either way IA is great!

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

Who needs Lightsabers or the Force when you got Explosives, Assault Cannons and Sniper Rifles..

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I'm not playing at launch, I will at some date in the future but I dont feel entitled to play a lightsaber user. In fact I think "Everybody will be playing jedi or sith... Im playing a diferent one" I know... it's kind of stupid to think like that.

• KeithDragoonKeithDragoon Member Posts: 21

Coming into this game I stated to everyone, "I'm not about to play a star wars game and not have a lightsaber!" but after playing beta I learned that the only class i like in this game was trooper/BH and not a fan of the Jedi or the Sith classes.

So no i don't feel the need anymore to cling to a lightsaber class.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

I felt I had to go Force user until I saw some Commando gameplay.

So it's Commando and Shadow for me....

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I actually like the non-force sensative classes more.  The sith warrior and inquisitor are fine, but they just don't seem evil enough for my tastes, killing some kid's dad and forcing him to join the sith (IA) is much more evil than anything I did as a Sith Inquisitor upto level 22.  On the other side, the consular and knight are too good.  Jedi aren't supposed to be heroes that defend the weak and blah blah blah...a Jedi's primary objective is to instill balance in the force.  As a trooper, your objective is pretty clear, you blow S*** up and shoot anything else that's left over :)

The Force classes are too one way or the other, while the others are right in the middle.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Unfortunately this is just a Star Wars MMO to many people. To a few though, this is the spiritual successor to the 2003 GOTY Knights of the Old Republic. In that game and Obsidians sequel you played a Jedi who had lost connection to the force and had to rediscover it along your journey whilst making decisions which would lead you towards the light side or dark side. When i get round to playing i will be treating this game like KOTOR 3, so its got to be a force wielder for me, there can be nothing else.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by zakiyawow

To answer your question: nope. I tried Jedi knight, jedi sage, smuggler and trooper. I loved the Trooper game play. I know I will make one trooper tomorrow :)

Trooper was very fun.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"