Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Blood on the Snow

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

EVE Online is a very complex place to call one's home.  In our latest One Jump Home column, we explore the depths of the Drone Regions, the heart of the Russian empire in EVE: UAxDeath, and how one man turned the space into an industrial behemoth.

When CCP added the Drone Regions to EVE Online, the scuttle to acquire them can be said to have taken its time. With hundreds of systems full of mediocre moon minerals and NPCs that did not reward the player with flat ISK, but rather a large handful of mineral compounds - The community was perplexed at best. How were players supposed to survive in these regions? Who would fight to defend them? Who would care? Few bothered to answer that question, but one Russian man saw what the purpose of the space truly was: Industrialist nullsec heaven. That man is arguably one of the most famous men in EVE, that man is arguably one of the best Russian politicians in EVE. That man is UAxDeath.

Read more of Ross McDermott's One Jump Home: Blood Red Storm.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

5 stars writing. I have enjoyed reading it and im hoping for more from you in the near future. Thank you.

• Yellowman26Yellowman26 Member Posts: 23

This, could prove for some interesting wars.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

This wouldn't even be worthy of news if CCP had done the drone loot right.

• DDragonstormDDragonstorm Member UncommonPosts: 9

or maybe you just dont get it,..

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385

Originally posted by DDragonstorm

or maybe you just dont get it,..

This

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Nicely written, and yet again proves why Eve is a simply incredible game with no peer.

Where's the any key?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Just accentuates the major problem with Eve.  Allowing one alliance to control far too much territory.  No wonder so many play the game for a short time and realize they can't get into the 0.0 areas because of this and end up quitting.

Until CCP fixes this, the game will just be for the elitests.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Business and politics simulator.   Not a game.

This is a good writeup, but, if you've played EVE for as long as I have, you would understand that as "exciting" as all this may sound; in practice, all of this is taking place in chatboxes and forums.     I would go as far as to estimate that 5% of that entire story actually takes place in ships.   

It's all politics, business, and economics.    EVE will never be a true videogame.

• gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Just accentuates the major problem with Eve.  Allowing one alliance to control far too much territory.  No wonder so many play the game for a short time and realize they can't get into the 0.0 areas because of this and end up quitting.

couldn't agree more.

I hate the fact that I gave EVE so many years of my time, in hopes that "maybe it'll get better" only to find that it gets worse.   Crooked support that plays favorites.   Elitists that control everything.   Dull combat mechanics (like playing command and conquer with 1 single unit instead of a squad... in slow motion... )   and no feel of player input.  To think of how many arguements ive had defending EVE, only to look back and feel like a sucker for giving them my money since 2004.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by gimmesome

couldn't agree more.

I hate the fact that I gave EVE so many years of my time, in hopes that "maybe it'll get better" only to find that it gets worse.   Crooked support that plays favorites.   Elitists that control everything.   Dull combat mechanics (like playing command and conquer with 1 single unit instead of a squad... in slow motion... )   and no feel of player input.  To think of how many arguements ive had defending EVE, only to look back and feel like a sucker for giving them my money since 2004.

It's all in what you get out of it. Personally I have always had a blast with Eve, everywhere from Hisec to nullsec to wormholes, and I will keep playing it for as long as it is fun (which is looking to be a very long time)

Where's the any key?

• tadams2tonetadams2tone Member UncommonPosts: 59

Now, if only we could get this piece of shit site to actually cover EVE updates.  Heh.  Good article, not your usual advertising fluff crap.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'm so jelous of EVE players.  What I wouldn't give for a sandbox like this that doesn't use ship as your "character". 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

couldn't agree more.

Heh, this game really is not for people like the above.. or even me. Sure we can play around the edges, and for some maybe even have fun. But from day one, of when this game was thought up, it has been ANARCHY.  This games true name has, and always will be, Anarchy on-line.

Take what you want, when you want, if you are big enough or smart enough. No rules, no feelings, no mercy,  If you can dream it and are smart enough to do it, then you win:) At least till the next smarter or bigger fish swims by and see's you that is :)

Eve is just a huge sea..full of sharks, some big, some small, but to truly know Eve, you have to be a shark.

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

i love the concept of EVE, i just don't like the gameplay. RTS always bored me, give me twitch control with a joystick+EVE and i'm in. (yeah i know it's never gonna happen but one can dream.)

couldn't agree more.

Yeah, i couldnt agree more with you, i mean, where are the dungeons? Where are the raids? Where is the loot and the gearscore? I want to raid, loot, rinse&repeat...i want to be a grind monster!!

Please, and if you indeed are a former EvE player, please do mind your words or just shut up and say nothing. What you describe, what you are whining to the gods, you forgot one thing my friend:

That is what EvE is all about!!! Cant take it?? Go kill 10 boars and deliver the tusks to the old lady!

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Best Russian politician??? The guy is a backstabber and a liar. Countless examples of him going over his allies to get his goals and leaving them smoldered behind does not make him a "politician". And his involvement in RMTing and his banned chars and armies of alts... common!

Unfortunately EVE became the lair for guys like him. Honor means nothing in EVE, not any more. Farewell EVE, it was nice while it lasted. I gove you 2 more years before you go f2p.

Edit: How did they survive in drone regions? They boted to hell and killed mineral markets by dumping it all for lowest price possible. No one wanted drone regions as they sucked big time.

Then they got all the supers from RAWR and RZR (silly NC selling supers to their nemesis) and gave cash to PL and others ruskies to attack NC. And now they control the mongoo so they can ebay it all they want. Gees, it was not that hard, you don't need to glorify cheaters and boters. EVE has more then just boters to write about, go get someone who is worth talking with.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

Originally posted by Spiider

Best Russian politician??? The guy is a backstabber and a liar. Countless examples of him going over his allies to get his goals and leaving them smoldered behind does not make him a "politician". And his involvement in RMTing and his banned chars and armies of alts... common!

Unfortunately EVE became the lair for guys like him. Honor means nothing in EVE, not any more. Farewell EVE, it was nice while it lasted. I gove you 2 more years before you go f2p.

Dont know if you noticed it, but you just described a "politician" as they are.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Maybe in Russia:) Not where I live. Doing that gets you to prison in my country.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

Maybe in Russia:) Not where I live. Doing that gets you to prison in my country.

Well then you live in a country outside my planet? Another dimension maybe? image

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

Hmm.  I think people are complaining not about the lack of themeparkness.  I think most people like eves sandbox style.  I think mostly people are complaining about the lack of mechanisms for newer players to compete with the long time alliances in game.

And I think that is a legitimate gripe.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

That and the "insider" bit of CCP. Can't trust their employees to not cheat anymore. It's one thing to be backstabbed by players inside a game, its another to be backstabbed by the company running it outside the game.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by Clerigo

Well then you live in a country outside my planet? Another dimension maybe? image

Got to say I agree with this, lol.  Where do you come from where the politicians are so great?  It can't be on planet Earth? lol

Also a good news story, liked reading it.

Originally posted by gaugemew

Hmm.  I think people are complaining not about the lack of themeparkness.  I think most people like eves sandbox style.  I think mostly people are complaining about the lack of mechanisms for newer players to compete with the long time alliances in game.

That i have to agree. Already stated that in another thread. The biggest problem EvE faces is the lack of initial content that could allow new players to have more than what they get now. Incursions helped a bit, but it needs more. EvE learning curve is very very long, null sec is merciless for new players and it has no room for lone wolfs.

CCP needs to get working on 1.0 - 0.5 content fast. 

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I think CCP severely underestimates how many players would enjoy and stay around if they enhanced the PvE aspects and "carebear" aspects of the game. 

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

I think CCP severely underestimates how many players would enjoy and stay around if they enhanced the PvE aspects and "carebear" aspects of the game. 

100% correct. image