Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 5 Other Movies That Could Be MMOs

Comments

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by SBFord

Is Firefly a movie? I thought it was just a TV show. And, I believe there actually IS an indie-developed Firefly MMO in development. :P

Yes.  It was called Serenity.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

A Blade Runner MMO definitely but I hope they have more imagination about it than the Author. 

Dune...so much to work with.

Mad Max/The Road Warrior - who wouldn't want to rock their own V8 Interceptor?

Super Troopers - Meow that would be a lot of fun!  Who wants a mustache ride?

Ok, that last one wasn't entirely serious.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

Although it is Christmas time and Die Hard is the greatest Christmas movie of all time it would make a good shooter but I don’t think a good MMO

As some have said and adding some here

The Walking Dead  type bases would rock

River world

Movie not yet out but the books for John Carter Warlord of Mars would work

Dark crystal would be interesting

Movies and books have been based on it but how about Battle Tech

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

Stargate did become a MMORPG but it never left early beta it was amusing but unfinished.

• CarraraCarrara Member UncommonPosts: 111

How about my list?

5) Mash - Doctors vs. Wounds

4) Toy Story - Mr Potato Head vs. Dinosaur

3) The Jeffersons - Mr Jefferson vs. The House Cleaner

2) Charlie's Angels - Bosley vs. The Angels

1) My Little Poney - Saddles vs. Butts

Jeez, these articles are getting lamer and lamer!  Good grief!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    one of the most epic story of all time i ever read from raymond e feist:the rift war cycle would be a very good game to make
  • cagarcagar Member Posts: 98
    Running man ( could be a mmo with that old smash tv arcade game spin ) lol
    Escape from ny with an escape from la expansion pack to follow.
    Planet of the apes. Can't believe no one else said that one.

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

yes firefly was a movie it was called serenity. so it works. 

u could do a percy jackson mmo also. it has tons of book to call on for lore and u have the demi gods on the side of good, and the demi gods on the side of hades and the ittans

would be a fun mmo to have. U could be a son or daughter of the gods with diffrent powers based on who your parents were.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Suzie,

I've mentioned before several times prior to this article that the Terminator IP would be a fantastic MMO possibility.  One issue that could really make the game difficult would be adding PvE content, especially for anyone that played the machine side of things.  What, you have a raid on some vagabond complex of humans? lol  Anyway, the 2nd hurdle is James Cameron.  He doesn't have a whole lot good to say about 'gamers' based on what I've read and he's even more of a douche than George Lucas.  Would love to see it, never gonna happen. =(

• VindictusVindictus Member UncommonPosts: 49

The Blood of Heroes.

Old B Movie, but it'd be an interesting mmo.

• Druid_UKDruid_UK Member Posts: 58

Four of those 5 are utter pants !

My five...

1. Blade Runner

2. Dune

3. Mad Max

4. V

5. Dark Angel

What is with all this restrictive faction garbage and then tagging MMO onto it ?

A crappy FPS relabled as an MMO does NOT, an MMO make. Restrictive faction play just encourages mindless ganking and endless respawn tardness, ideally suited to FPS, inherrently stupid in an MMO.

-----
    Pay-to-Win / F2P will be the death of real gaming, Boycott it !!

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Pokemon :P

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i was gonna suggest Mad Max, but realized we have fallen earth already lol

• CollaborCollabor Member UncommonPosts: 37

28 Days Later MMO

the Blade series was great: Vampires vs. Humans vs. Day Walkers

Underworld series: Vampires vs. Werewolves vs. Humans vs. Halfbreeds

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

The Chronicles of Riddick

so many great races were fleshed out in that movie.  it would make a perfect multi factioned mmo (cause 2 faction mmo's are lame).

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

C.H.U.D.

And any player in a Bladerunner MMO would have to go through  a void-comp (yeah yeah sp) test.

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

No way in heck.  This setting is about one man vs an organization.  "One Man" does not say MMO to me.

Sure, I can see this, but it's going to be massively lopsided against the nationalists.

Ummm, no.  Just no.  Blade Runner makes a great RPG, SINGLE PLAYER, but a MMO would no do well in this setting.  An army of Blade Runners vs an army of Replicants?  That isn't very Cyberpunk.  And that's the ptoblem with cyberpunk.  It doesn't lend itself well to the modern concepts expected of most MMOs.

Yeah, this works.  But it will suffer from the same problem as any survival MMO: the more people playing it, the less it feels like your fighting against the inevitable.  Also, you really need to make the servers PvP only and permadeath enabled.  That's kinda the point of the setting.

Ok...  This is not a MMO setting.  It's a RPG setting, SINGLE PLAYER, sure, but the only side you can realistically add players to is the Cowboy side.  Once you start adding players to the Aliens side, you have to expose a lot of the things that make the aliens so cool, and htat detracts from the game.  It kills the mystique.  I don't see it working all that well.

Again, it was stated, why didn't you include Serenity/Firefly?  A perfect setting with several factions and archetypes available.  It needn't even be locked into AvsB.  The Alliance could just be the omni-present "baddies", with the players filling out the roles of non-Entitled (non-Core World Residents) or ex-Entitled people on the lam.  It's a small, confined setting, 20-some worlds and moons orbiting a single star, most already detailed in the series, with a number still open to exploration.  PLus they can terraform moons and worlds to make them habitable, so there's room to expand.  Seems like a pretty good idea.  Certainly better than Die Hard.

• KatrisaKatrisa Member UncommonPosts: 116

1. FireFly!!! (So much you can do here. Can have more then two factions easy)

2. DUNE (i think the spice issue could be resolved by having the spice planet controlled by NPCs. Maybe you have pvp guild batlles for temp access to the planet... i dont know. seems like a good IP to make into an MMO)

3. GitS (I feel this would be open world pvp)

4. Bladerunner (This seems to be the popular choice. Someone should really get on this one ;)

5. Anything that isnt middle ages or has dragons. Im so sick of high fantasy. Lets have some new locations. real world, sci-fi, western! god please anything but more elfs and dragons!!!

/meow

• GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65

imo for mmo

1.  Dune

2.  Mortal Kombat

3.  Tron

4.  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (more based on the TV series thought coz the movie sucked)

5.  The Matrix (I know it was one and died, but this time create a better one, it has potential)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Ditto on Blade Runner.  Hard to believe that is almost 30 years old.  In my mind it's still as fresh as the time I first saw it.  Okay, I admit it was on my Beta hi-fi VCR, but hey... that's another relic of history.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TheNitewolfTheNitewolf Member Posts: 102

Seems there's another weekly column not worth reading anymore. Switching authors for this was a bad idea, I gave last week's top 5 the benefit of the doubt, but this one is actually worse. As many said already, the only one that could work is Blade Runner. The rest is all FPS, not RPG (and partially exists already, only thing missing being the movie name).

Should I be mistaken and this was not a recent author change, my apologies, but lay off whatever you've been eating over the past couple of weeks.

My Signature

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Collabor
     28 Days Later MMOthe Blade series was great: Vampires vs. Humans vs. Day WalkersUnderworld series: Vampires vs. Werewolves vs. Humans vs. Halfbreeds

I would second a "28 Days Later" and "Underworld". I'd want to add a faction to "Underworld" though...humans weren't really a faction at all and I suspect most people would be half breeds because they were so powerful.

Not so sure about the Blade series though. Once you got outside of the Blade himself, it seems like the game would be pretty generic.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

i realy like the DUNE idea tbh :) ......alot... :)

• TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154

As someone mentioned above I think Underworld is something that is just BEGGING to be made into an MMO.  The horror genre is also completely unrepresented in MMOs today.  The Secret World appears to dip it's toe in the horror area, but none really go all out.  With CCP seemingly pushing back World of Darkness, this genre is ripe for the picking.

Someone else mentioned Dune and that also could be spectacular.  It should follow the Eve model and allow players to form their own Great Houses in the universe.  That would give you a multi-sided war for control of the Spice.  Plus there are loads of character types to choose from.

The Untouchables with gangsters and police would make a nice setting.  Would be cool to whip out a tommy gun and write your name in blood on the walls.  Again this game lends itself to the Eve model of player formed factions warring with each other for control of liquor distribution with the police elements trying to stop it or control it and profit from it.  That would make the police a kind of "wild card" that could change the interactions between the various criminal elements.

Unforgiven or some other western genre is another movie that just shouts out for consideration.  Player built towns servicing community and defending themselves from roaming bands of outlaws.  A third faction consisting of Native Americans could be added which would resist westward expansion and interact with both sides according to the player's wishes.  For that matter Dances with Wolves is another movie I could see being developed.

Others off the top of my head.

The Postman

Gladiator

The Godfather

Toy Story

Out of the list given I think Bladerunner is the one that sticks out the most.  I'd love to see a game world based on this IP.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Originally posted by cerebrix

The Chronicles of Riddick

so many great races were fleshed out in that movie.  it would make a perfect multi factioned mmo (cause 2 faction mmo's are lame).

I was just about to say that. Why make a terrific IP such as bladerunner a boring old red vs blue factional warfare game. You have so many aspects that go into the cyberpunk and dystopian genre that you would be really selling yourself short if you did it that way.

Not only did the Riddick IP have so many races, it had so many planets to choose from. I think one of the best trys at multifactional, sandbox mmo was Fallen Earth.