Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 5 Other Movies That Could Be MMOs

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Can add 2 more for fun .........

Tremors - Survival MMO :P 

And the whole Percy Jackson, Heros of Olympus and Red Pyramid books though only Lightning thief was a movie. You have the Romans, Greeks and the Egyptians for the 3 factions then mini factions within those factions. Seems like a good setup to me and plenty of lore to pull from. Modern day setting with medival style combat would be unique as well. 

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

1. Dune mix up the movies with the old sci fi series and you would have a hit

2. Farscape- yes this is not  a movie but why does it not exist?

3. GI Joe- This did have a movie

4. Starship Troopers - Where the hell is this?

5. The Golden Compass

6 Harry Friggin Potter!!!!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Red Dawn would make a very good Fallout style MMO, very sandbox'y.

The Dark Crystal would be very interesting.

Firefly/Serenity would be amazing if they did it right, sandbox'y with a go anywhere do anything kind of game. This could be the new SWG, people could even be Companions and Government officials as well as Smugglers.

Farscape would be good as well.

Fifth Element has an interesting premise.

Dragonlance has a movie (animated) so it could go here as well as books)

I would much rather see some older books made into MMO's. Like the Chronicles of Amber or Shannara series.

Battlefield Earth would be great as well (I include this in the books because the movie blows, the book was amazing).

If they would do a Forgotten Realms MMO, not just Neverwinter, include the entire Dark Walker on Moonshae as well as the Bloodstone series to all of the sword coast sets.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

1. LOTR

2. LOTR

3. LOTR

4. LOTR

5. The Hobbit

And ya don't say but we have LOTR....Turbine's version is utter fail imo. Since quiting years ago I've been hoping for a new company to try it again but unfortionately thats not likely to happen. Thanks Turbine asshats :-/

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Oop, someone else got it.

Digging back to the classics--  Burroughs (any of several series, but the Hollow Earth stuff has the most potential and isn't (to my knowledge) being used by anyone.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

1 Farscape - Yes here is a movie to end the series.

2. Firefly

3. Starship Troopers

4 Assult Girls - Movie is a MMO game.

5 Underworld - Vamp v Warewolves v Humans.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Dune!!! You can have 3 faction PvP!

• Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104

1. Warriors - Come out and play... user created gangs for control of NYC? sounds fun

2. The Evil Dead - think it was done in a facebook style but done right could b entertaining as hell

3. MadMax - just get Bethla to take Fallout into MMO with some tweaking

4. Six String Samurai - nevermind, noone has ever heard of it :/

5. Harry Potter - not cause I want to play it, but so it will suck all Harry Potter fanbois out of self-respecting MMO's ;)

Often lurking, rarely posting

• Chills05Chills05 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Originally posted by Xuljester

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Seriously, it doesn't get any better than that. Of course, the movie only scratched the surface of the Manga. Besides, who wouldn't want to be immersed in a game whose soundtrack is written by Joe Hisaishi, or play in a world created by Hayao Miyazaki? Nevermind that the art style used by Miyazaki never gets old.

Ye, I was going to suggest Princess Monoke ^^

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by SBFord

Is Firefly a movie? I thought it was just a TV show. And, I believe there actually IS an indie-developed Firefly MMO in development. :P

It was a series, but it was made into a movie also.  A pretty successful one at that, considering the niche it was in.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371
    Like other have said. Dune and Farscape are two obvious choices. If do e right would be fantastic.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

3 faction PvP - Middle Ages Brits, French, and Modern Brits.

You know you want to throw the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

• CharSolCharSol Member UncommonPosts: 47

Serenity is essentially Firefly the movie.  I'd like the setting too but I'm unsure if it would really be that unusual and interesting.

• rankor2rankor2 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    World of Thor. Not just a movie though.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Stormnet there is already a Firefly mmo being made currently.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,488

Originally posted by SBFord

Is Firefly a movie? I thought it was just a TV show. And, I believe there actually IS an indie-developed Firefly MMO in development. :P

Serenity was the movie.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , a movie being a MMO ?   We can see what happened to STO , and soon enough we'll see if SWtor will share the same results.   I don't see any movies being a MMO for the simple reason that creating a good quality MMO right off the production line takes years and years. But there could be a nice way to have a good movie being made into a MMO ; NOT ANNOUNCING IT 8 YEARS BEFORE RELEASE!.   Seems easy enough. Look again at what's happening to SWtor , with their ten thousands and thousands cancelled pre-orders , the same goes for Blizzard's Diablo 3.

Putting a MMO up out of a movie takes time and a good fan base loyalty , now if you go out and scream to everyone that your making a MMO from X movie but then go on to say it will be release by 2020 , good luck staying in business next year.

Sometimes your best friend is to STFU and surprise people.  It's like announcing what the gifts are to your family before they even open it. The sad part about SWtor , is that when they started putting out some trailers and some gameplay trailers , it was great , but as time went by , so did the MMO world and alot of Devs have surpassed some of the qualities SWtor WAS suppose to have , ok so you can have a companion. Skyrim which is alot better then SWtor has companions , and so does alot of MMOs being released today. It's sad to announce stuff to your competition years before your product is released. Because when SWtor does release and people start playing , the first thing that will come out of mostly everyone is : " Been there , seen that , done  that , next !"

Bethesda with Skyrim did a great job by remaining quiet , hence why they sold over 11 million copies since release and some stores are still back ordered on it , because everyone wasn't expecting the game to be so vast and so detailed , and the first expansion is already coming out next year which barely no one can wait!

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Movies:

Dune.

Bladerunner.

Stargate

Skyline.

District 9

Tv series: 

V

Flash Gordon

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I see Bladerunner and Cowboys & Aliens being interesting.

Ya, Firefly / Serenity would be nice.

Some others:

Mad Max, pretty much where all the post-apoc games come from, sandbox with some defined factions - done well :).

Willow, could be a brownie flying around on an eagle :) somewhat typical fantasy.

Gladiator, Roman one done well. All sorts of sandbox features and of course great PvP arenas as well as battlefields.

IP Man 1/2, martial arts game done with awesome combat, mixture of styles from all over world. Setting wouldn't have to be China.

How to Train your Dragon image

Army of Darkness battle the Undead in style with sweet weapons.

Jack the Giant Killer old fantasy movie, awesome large monsters, variety of witches, spells etc. watch it image...instead of having small mobs, fight against large creatures, and attend a farm when you're not fighting haha.

For Buce Willis based, I think the Fifth Elemennt would be stronger than Diehard.

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

This is an anime really, not a movie or even a television show, but what about an MMO in the Cowboy Bebop universe? Or one in the Trigun universe?

• boincmanboincman Member Posts: 99

To be quite honest none of the titles in the article would make a good pvp mmo, imho.  The reason is that they all only have two factions which is the failing of virtually all games that have pvp.  

Personally I would suggest a game that has an odd number of factions like DAOC.  To this end my top pick would be something like Underworld which has 3 built in factions (Vamps, dogs, and people).

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Forget the IP and just make a good game.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

The only MMO I would want to see of this list is Terminator.  But I digress, I hate how most MMOs these days only have two factions.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Your 1 side vs 1 side suggestions offend the grand potential of MMORPGs as a genre.

I'd suggest never writing an article again if you can't contribute to the discussion.

Also to make my point two suggestions from me:

DUNE - Okay from the novel too, we get the houses in conflict and a true "sand box" world, along with some awesome worms.

Big Trouble in Little China - To quote Jack Burton "Well, ya see, I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything, but I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think we're alone in THIS universe."

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• dishonestbrodishonestbro Member Posts: 9

These movies would be horrible MMO's imo