Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bioware Does C&C: This isn't the same Bioware anymore

Comments

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Pardon my language but you;re correct... This is Badass Bioware. I've always wondered what an RTS would be like with full voice over cut scenes.

*Spamming buttons impatiently while unit tells you a sad story*

"Yes general, I lost my wife and kids to the war"

*Spamming buttons relentlessly*

"My kids were so filled with life and beautiful"

Defeated!

"Noooooooooo"

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• WolfHaartWolfHaart Member UncommonPosts: 216

I would love to see them making a new Baldurs Gate game, which is as big, or bigger then the old ones. And by big, I mean everything you can do in the game. I played BG1 & 2 for ages, and never got to do everything in them, its massive.

Edit: Why I want a new Baldurs Gate, is because that was the first game that really got me hooked on RPG's.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Something I've always enjoyed in the C&C series was the live action shots mixed in with everything. I think if Bioware could use that idea with their RP'ing.. wow.  Just wow.

Bioware has never really done an RTS though so the end results could be profoundly interesting (or profoundly bland based on who's running the show)

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Didn't really see much of the "bioware effect" from the video on the website... We'll see how this goes :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445

Yeah i meant it more as a neutral observation, this isnt the same Bioware anymore, for better or for worse they have expanded their development grasp well beyond their comfort zone.  We will see how it works out.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

First, Bioware is going to release ToR (late 2011) which will kick Rift (early 2011) in the jibbles.

Then Bioware is going to release C&C in 2013 which goes up against Trion's End of Nations (early 2012).

I've always said, Trion focused on the wrong company as competition. While they were busy trying to topple WoW, Bioware T'boned 'em.

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Pardon my language but you;re correct... This is Badass Bioware. I've always wondered what an RTS would be like with full voice over cut scenes.

You must be new to the Command & Conquer series then. They've had a tradition of full voice acting and cutscenes with real actors as far back as C&C: Red Alert 2 in 2000. And that's because I haven't played the previous titles, so they may have it in those too.

Here's a tip: go pick up C&C: Red Alert 3 whenever you can, as it's highly entertaining and pretty to look at, and has some good-looking actresses to boot.

On topic: well... maybe Bioware would add their choice system to C&C games. I wonder how that would turn out...

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

Of course this isn't the same Bioware anymore.  Bioware is now a just a brand name for EA's software developement.  It started happening when they merged Mythic with it and now they will just continue to add the studios they have aquired and haven't killed into the Bioware banner.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Yea but I enjoyed Generals WAY more than I enjoyed the CC series as far as multiplayer goes.

• Sourd420Sourd420 Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by kasta

Of course this isn't the same Bioware anymore.  Bioware is now a just a brand name for EA's software developement.  It started happening when they merged Mythic with it and now they will just continue to add the studios they have aquired and haven't killed into the Bioware banner.

BINGO!!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

This isn't the same Bioware anymore

No kidding?

Old Bioware that did Baldur's Gate series is looooong gone.  Now it is just branch of EA, that is making most mainstream games possible. They developed their "3 option bad/neutral/good" dialogue option and put them on all their rpg's (DA2, ME2 and Swtor) and they'll just pop out game after game in well-known franchises cause that's what sell's good.

You looking for something unique and non-predictable? Look elsewhere, BW will just produce hamburgers from now on.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

If you not have this figure it out yet you have lived for last few years under a rock. Its EA who is pulling the strings now and bioware have to obey. I predict that in 2 or 3 years time there is no bioware left worth mentioned.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

TBH gentlemen, I'm not fond of BioWare anymore, but the RTS genre is up for grabs.  Very little has been done on it.  The last good RTS game IMO was Relic's "Company Of Heroes" and that came out in around '08.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this, but I'm not sure seeing the Bioware name attached inspires any confidence. The last time a big rpg name attached itself to an upcoming RTS, we got Squeenix helping to produce a piece of tofu called Supreme Commander 2.

Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the first Generals, so I'll try to remain hopeful.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by popinjay

First, Bioware is going to release ToR (late 2011) which will kick Rift (early 2011) in the jibbles.

Then Bioware is going to release C&C in 2013 which goes up against Trion's End of Nations (early 2012).

I've always said, Trion focused on the wrong company as competition. While they were busy trying to topple WoW, Bioware T'boned 'em.

When you want to be the best you try to beat the best.

You don't go after the second fiddle. 

WoW>SWTOR   SC2>C&C  in popularity and the amount of revenue each pulls in.

You don't strive to be second, its number 1 or done. 

Sadly TRION wasn't good enough but I give them respect for trying.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Originally posted by Z3R01

WoW>SWTOR   SC2>C&C  in popularity and the amount of revenue each pulls is.

I give them props for doing C&C! Great RTS, probably one of the best of it's time!

Plus, the Frosbite 2's engine? Oh boy, I expect lots of fun if they can get this one done right.

Quote: So true.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

A year ago I would have called you a doom-sayer. Today, I fully agree with you. I don't see BioWare in the same light anymore, nor will I blindly buy their products like I once did.

Edit: I didn't realize how hard EA was trying to run the BioWare name into the ground...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39073/Victory_Games_Latest_EA_Studio_To_Be_Renamed_BioWare.php

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by fundayz

A year ago I would have called you a doom-sayer. Today, I fully agree with you. I don't see BioWare in the same light anymore, nor will I blindly buy their products like I once did.

Edit: I didn't realize how hard EA was trying to run the BioWare name into the ground...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39073/Victory_Games_Latest_EA_Studio_To_Be_Renamed_BioWare.php

Yeah. Bioware is just a brand now that is slapped onto studios that have nothing to do with 'old' Bioware.

Reason is simple. Bioware name on the box increase sales. Simple as that.

Bioware name is brand like any other and is and will be used to increase profits for shareholders and managment of EA.

Just normal practice.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Z3R01

WoW>SWTOR   SC2>C&C  in popularity and the amount of revenue each pulls in.

No, this isn't sports, lol. It's a business.

That's a nice slogan but the reality is businesses don't mind being #2 or number #200. It's about profit and positioning.

This is why ToR will be more successful. Because they aren't directly trying to steal WoW's customers and exist on disgruntled players from other people's game as Rift did. They are trying to grow their own base who likes story. If they get a few others who like to do X, Y and Z.. that's fine too.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by fenistil

Originally posted by fundayz

Yeah. Bioware is just a brand now that is slapped onto studios that have nothing to do with 'old' Bioware.
    Reason is simple. Bioware name on the box increase sales. Simple as that.
    Bioware name is brand like any other and is and will be used to increase profits for shareholders and managment of EA.
    Just normal practice.

They might start slapping Bioware's name on the new Madden's! :O

BOOYAKA!

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

The influence of EA has been apparent for awhile now. Anyone else notice a difference in quality of the BW single player games since EA took over?

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• MyGaronaMyGarona Member Posts: 139
    It's a business jokers. All this talk of competing with ActiBlizz is silly. Make a quality product and make a profit. You can't compare western culture limited games with world wide poptarts like WoW and SC2.
  • drake201drake201 Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by MyGarona

It's a business jokers. All this talk of competing with ActiBlizz is silly. Make a quality product and make a profit. You can't compare western culture limited games with world wide poptarts like WoW and SC2.

LOl SC2 story and everything is knee deep in western culture. Same with wow.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Originally posted by Rusty715

The influence of EA has been apparent for awhile now. Anyone else notice a difference in quality of the BW single player games since EA took over?

no, dragon age 2 sucked but I did not like how they did it, did not enjoy the story angle and the single player approach like they do in mass effect, but love all the mass effect games.. they still release high quality bug free games I have bought all there games on release day and have never been hit with show stopping bugs.

I am actually very interested to see what they do with an RTS.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

Bioware, EA's new bottom girl :)